I got offered two new jobs today and I'm looking for regional advice

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
One of two in Denver. And one of two in Dallas.

The Tile Shop is opening 4 new stores. Two in each new market. Granted I do far more than tile or stone they offered to foot my moving expenses. Both markets offer AngiesList support so transferring my reports and account to the prospective markets is not an issue.

The thing that concerns me is the cost of living and the cost of labor. Right now im getting 10.00 per sq ft or cubic ft depending on if it's straight stone or tile work or if its a full remodel.

Anyone that lives in those two markets who may be familiar with the going labor rates who's willing to share that information would be a true friend at this point. I can get partial estimates on what someone pays but the margins are two wide to make a serious decision.

Im mostly interested in the two Denver options so if you live in the area and had remodel work done on a master bath or suite I would love to hear from you.

Moving expenses only go so far

Not familiar with either one but congrats on the job offers! If it were me..I would go to city-data.com and look in the forums there where people tell about their cities and what you are asking about. Personally, I like Colorado. It is beautiful there. Texas is too hot, too big, and is starving for water.

Not familiar with either one but congrats on the job offers! If it were me..I would go to city-data.com and look in the forums there where people tell about their cities and what you are asking about. Personally, I like Colorado. It is beautiful there. Texas is too hot, too big, and is starving for water.

Im from Colorado but that was decades ago. I miss it but that may be nostalgia.

With the recent tragic events in my so called family everything is falling apart and im at the point where escape and a fresh start may suit me.

With the recent tragic events in my so called family everything is falling apart and im at the point where escape and a fresh start may suit me.

I think that is an excellent plan, Grampa. Personally, I would LOVE to move to Durango. What a beautiful town.

You're a strong man with a great sense of humor. You'll do just fine, Grampa.

You're a strong man with a great sense of humor. You'll do just fine, Grampa.

Thank you. Sadly the person that responded to that thread with the opinion that I shouldn't have posted it was right. But for different reasons. I don't even click on it anymore cause it brings up such anger. At this point im ready to get away. I just dont want to be foolish out of frustration.

Some of you, LoneLaugher included, are like disconnected family. I don't always want to hear what you have to say but some of you sadly know me better than my fucked up family. But then again who knows whar thats worth when I was given up at 7.

I appreciate most of you, you give me perspective

How well do you stand the heat?

Remember it isn't just the job it's everything else about the region you're buying into, too.

I don't know which would be best but I know who does! So I will be praying the LORD blesses you and guides you to the very best decision. I wish you the best, Gramps.

Don't let family members get you down. I can tell you from personal experience they are "highly over-rated"... lol... my best family are the people in my life right now. Most of them are not blood relatives!! :eusa_angel: - Jeri

How well do you stand the heat?

Remember it isn't just the job it's everything else about the region you're buying into, too.

That is why it is good for him to get the mind of God on the matter. I am praying the LORD leads him into the very best place with no trouble added to it! :eusa_angel:

Don't overlook regulatory costs.

Trade codes/ building codes are more about adding anti-competitive costs to smaller firms than about public safety.

Good luck. And forgive yourself for the thread you're avoiding.
When the shit is in the fan, the lucky get it all right.
Most of them are silent about the big stuff.

Last edited:
While I don't know the costs of laying tiles or going rates I've been in both areas before. I worked in the Dallas area in construction during a Heat Wave and it's BRUTALLY HOT AND HUMID THERE. I'm from the south, so that kind of weather is kinda normal to me, but during that time in Dallas it was still Brutal.

I've lived in the Denver area as well for a short time. You can get ALOT OF SNOW, but even in the SEVERE COLD it's NOT HUMID AT ALL THERE. Yet be prepared to SHOVEL THE SNOW. They are very good at clearing it, but it's still a chore digging out your vehicle after a couple of feet hit you. The Mountains are GREAT. Hunting is great up in the mountains, and the summer weather is great.

So in my opinion, you have the choice OF FIRE AND ICE. And that would be a personal decision on the area you'd like to live.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK and I hope you are very happy with your NEW HOME.

Joe Pool Lake, Texas

Just a side note. I camped at Joe Pool when I worked there. Commuted to the Construction site near Texas Stadium. While I didn't get much time to enjoy it, it's a Great Camping area. If you have a boat and like bass fishing you might want to check this place out. Just one thing though, if you decide to camp there. Take some moth balls with you, and put them out around your camper, while there. They have pesky little black scorpions there. The moth balls keep them at bay though. You don't want them in the camper.

Don't know if I can be much help. Colorado is absolutely Beautiful, only been to airports in Texas, so no help there.

I did want to congratulate you on the opportunities and I am jealous of anyone who knows stone and tile work. Tried my hand at it a few times, but you can tell the work I did was far from professional.

BEST OF LUCK!

The Tile Shop is opening 4 new stores. Two in each new market. Granted I do far more than tile or stone they offered to foot my moving expenses. Both markets offer AngiesList support so transferring my reports and account to the prospective markets is not an issue.

The thing that concerns me is the cost of living and the cost of labor. Right now im getting 10.00 per sq ft or cubic ft depending on if it's straight stone or tile work or if its a full remodel.

Anyone that lives in those two markets who may be familiar with the going labor rates who's willing to share that information would be a true friend at this point. I can get partial estimates on what someone pays but the margins are two wide to make a serious decision.

Im mostly interested in the two Denver options so if you live in the area and had remodel work done on a master bath or suite I would love to hear from you.

Important point: no income tax in Texas!

The Dallas stores open around the 6th of June I believe. But I'm less inclined to want to live there.

Denver stores are just beginning construction so it would probably be mid to late summer before they open. Therefore I've got some time to dig into the details of the costs and prices of doing business there.

Of course it may be better just to stay where I'm established but the offers are veey tempting. Lots to think about!

Man, I'd go with Denver. The heat kills me. When I retired, I stayed with the locum tenens company in case they came up with a plum 3 month job in some really nice location. They have one in Denver right now, and it comes with a car. If this wasn't my first summer of retirment I would be jumping for it. I'd prolly have to be on oxygen the whole time due to the altitude, but I could cope.

Good luck with your decision, Grandpa Murked U. I just moved from Wyoming to Texas 4 years ago due to health issues with cold weather, and it's about 300 miles north of Denver where I lived. Check taxes on real estate for both areas in the type of home you wish to live and the suburban or country community in which you plan to make your home permanent. If anyone in your family has arthritis or any other type of immune disease, I'd recommend a warmer climate. Also, Denver is mile high, and that can be deleterious to the health of a person who has a family history of heart disease--your heart will thereafter have to work 20% harder to get the same amount of oxygen in the thin, high-altitude air. You will have to retrain the chef in the family to bake at high altitude and prepare a few extra meals out when cakes fall, puddings don't thicken, and the meat doesn't get cooked through.

Also, in higher altitudes, streptococcal infections prosper, so each and every time through the 22 strains at high altitude that someone in the family gets a sore throat, get a throat swab, and don't put it off.

In Texas, we had 2 heinous droughts, the likes of which I have no recollection of when growing up. This year, however, it's rained throughout the cool spring, and out here in Walker County country, our lake is one again full, and to the brim. We have some of the best healing centers for cancer and other diseases all over the state, and here the best description I could give anyone for the healing community is "caring".

Colorado is an amazingly beautiful state, but quite cold in the winter, and if you've never lived at mile high, you need to quite understand that when your car is slipping and sliding at 15 mph, you need to lower to 5 mph, and hurrying could land you in a very deep ravine, so you will need extra batteries for phone should you land in deep snow somewhere. The political atmosphere is highly socialized and liberal with few quarters for conservatives. A million illegals may have moved there from 1980 to the present, so your taxes are likely to be through the roof.

The great thing about America is choice. You get to pick where you want to live, and if you love skiing, you couldn't possibly live in a better place that the Rocky Mountains, and with building construction, you will have job security, I hope.

Best wishes!

Good luck with your decision, Grandpa Murked U. I just moved from Wyoming to Texas 4 years ago due to health issues with cold weather, and it's about 300 miles north of Denver where I lived. Check taxes on real estate for both areas in the type of home you wish to live and the suburban or country community in which you plan to make your home permanent. If anyone in your family has arthritis or any other type of immune disease, I'd recommend a warmer climate. Also, Denver is mile high, and that can be deleterious to the health of a person who has a family history of heart disease--your heart will thereafter have to work 20% harder to get the same amount of oxygen in the thin, high-altitude air. You will have to retrain the chef in the family to bake at high altitude and prepare a few extra meals out when cakes fall, puddings don't thicken, and the meat doesn't get cooked through.

Also, in higher altitudes, streptococcal infections prosper, so each and every time through the 22 strains at high altitude that someone in the family gets a sore throat, get a throat swab, and don't put it off.

In Texas, we had 2 heinous droughts, the likes of which I have no recollection of when growing up. This year, however, it's rained throughout the cool spring, and out here in Walker County country, our lake is one again full, and to the brim. We have some of the best healing centers for cancer and other diseases all over the state, and here the best description I could give anyone for the healing community is "caring".

Colorado is an amazingly beautiful state, but quite cold in the winter, and if you've never lived at mile high, you need to quite understand that when your car is slipping and sliding at 15 mph, you need to lower to 5 mph, and hurrying could land you in a very deep ravine, so you will need extra batteries for phone should you land in deep snow somewhere. The political atmosphere is highly socialized and liberal with few quarters for conservatives. A million illegals may have moved there from 1980 to the present, so your taxes are likely to be through the roof.

The great thing about America is choice. You get to pick where you want to live, and if you love skiing, you couldn't possibly live in a better place that the Rocky Mountains, and with building construction, you will have job security, I hope.

Best wishes!

WOW. Just wow.

Forum List

Back