I Hate Walmarts

Manu, nobody is saying sourcing all goods is easy. As for a 100% American made car, I dun know. I dun follow the industry, but I live in an auto manufacturing town and I hear some parts are preassembled in Mexico or overseas and then shipped here for final assembly. For that matter you can argue a Mitsubshi is as American Made as a Ford, since they have plants here too. And you certainly cannot any longer buy a car from any manufacturer made with US produced steel, as far as I know.

Electronics I dun know much about either, and I am sure finding American made ones is very difficult. But there are goods still being made in the US, goods that are competitively priced and high in quality -- often higher than foreign made ones.

Last edited:
Manu, nobody is saying sourcing all goods is easy. As for a 100% American made car, I dun know. I dun follow the industry, but I live in an auto manufacturing town and I hear some parts are preassembled in Mexico or overseas and then shipped here for final assembly. For that matter you can argue a Mitsubshi is as American Made as a Ford, since they have plants here too. And you certainly cannot any longer buy a car from any manufacturer made with US produced steel, as far as I know.

Electronics I dun know much about either, and I am sure finding American made ones is very diifcult. But there are goods still being made in the US, goods that are competitively priced and high in quality -- often higher than foreign made ones.

guess i am off to buy my sony ... apple and volkswagen then.....

you would think our unions could figure out how to make competitive shit but alas....

Umm.. That's an office supply store - another big chain. I'M talking about a small local family owned office supply...

DO follow along, tootsiebear.

Fred Meyer and Bartells are local chains that started here in Seattle. I am talking about buying local and avoiding the worst place Walmart entirely.

Yes it is worth spending an extra dollar to buy copy paper 5 miles closer and locally owned.

PS..I shouldn't have called you a liar. sorry

What you really are is a deceitful snake..better?!

You could come up with lame excuses all night. I have been "shopping" for over 55 years so you have no special shopping experience I need to be aware of.

Just be good with what you are doing and stop with the bullshit. Own it!!..be proud of it!!!

Don't be shy you have lots of company!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no idea who/what Fred Whatever and/or Bartell Whomever is. *I* have a little tiny locally owned office supply in the middle of downtown, which is really hard to get to in my rinky dink down. I also have Walmart, which is right off the freeway.

Seattle isn't exactly small, dimwit.

West Bend, WI is.

Why I gotta be the dimwit? Cuz I didn't read your mind and just automatically know how big/small your rinky dink town is?

I'm not suggesting someone go to extra ordinary lengths. You are right..I have many other choices. If the Walmart is your closest store then it is more acceptable to me ...BUT keep in mind what your money is really buying and who is really benefiting and who is not..That's all I'm saying in your case.

Fred Meyer and Bartells are local chains that started here in Seattle. I am talking about buying local and avoiding the worst place Walmart entirely.

Yes it is worth spending an extra dollar to buy copy paper 5 miles closer and locally owned.

PS..I shouldn't have called you a liar. sorry

What you really are is a deceitful snake..better?!

You could come up with lame excuses all night. I have been "shopping" for over 55 years so you have no special shopping experience I need to be aware of.

Just be good with what you are doing and stop with the bullshit. Own it!!..be proud of it!!!

Don't be shy you have lots of company!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no idea who/what Fred Whatever and/or Bartell Whomever is. *I* have a little tiny locally owned office supply in the middle of downtown, which is really hard to get to in my rinky dink down. I also have Walmart, which is right off the freeway.

West Bend, WI is.

Why I gotta be the dimwit? Cuz I didn't read your mind and just automatically know how big/small your rinky dink town is?

I'm not suggesting someone go to extra ordinary lengths. You are right..I have many other choices. If the Walmart is your closest store then it is more acceptable to me ...BUT keep in mind what your money is really buying and who is really benefiting and who is not..That's all I'm saying in your case.

You gotta be dimwit, because I gotta be a deceitful snake..

See how that one works, Huggums?

And if you HAD read before you replied the first time, you'd have seen the same small town comment in a previous post re: that same office paper. ;)

There are virtually NO vacant jobs around here.
about 1/2 of my wally worlds employees are over 30. Best job they can find.
And we have lots of hispanic/migrant workers as well.
Tobacco and ag workers.
They marry the ugly fat white girls so they can stay here.
now before I get slammed, it is the truth around here.

Not my being racist, just an honest observation.

Racist, and bigoted besides.
Great combination.

So tell us how black children on the Ivory Coast are expendable, since you want chocolate.

whatsa matter Allie dead on me and can't neg rep me again yet?

West Bend, WI is.

And if you HAD read before you replied the first time, you'd have seen the same small town comment in a previous post re: that same office paper. ;)

Missed it... That would make me more dim sighted than witted. Actually I am quite clever..sometimes to a fault. AKA "smartass"!:lol::lol:

Her is a short list of companies/items to boycott:

Here are 18 Iconic Products That America Doesn't Make Anymore:

Rawlings baseballs

Last production date: 1969

Rawlings is the official supplier of baseballs to Major League Baseball. The St. Louis shop was founded in 1887 by George and Alfred Rawlings. In 1969 the brothers moved the baseball-manufacturing plant from Puerto Rico to Haiti and then later to Costa Rica.

Etch a Sketch

Last production date: 2000

Etch A Sketch, an iconic American toy since the 1960s, used to be produced in Bryan, Ohio, a small town of 8,000. Then in Dec. 2000, toymaker Ohio Art decided to move production to Shenzhen, China.

Converse shoes

Last production date: 2001

Marquis M. Converse opened Converse Rubber Show Company in Massachusetts in 1908. Chuck Taylors– named after All American high school basketball player Chuck Taylor– began selling in 1918 as the show eventually produced an industry record of over 550 million pairs by 1997. But in 2001 sales were on the decline and the U.S. factory closed. Now Chuck Taylors are made in Indonesia.

Stainless steel rebar

Last production date: circa 2001

Many forms of this basic steel product are not available domestically. Multiple waivers to the Buy America Act have allowed purchase of rebar internationally.

Note: The Buy America Act requires government mass transportation spending to use American products.

Dress shirts*

Last production date: Oct. 2002

The last major shirt factory in America closed in October 2002, according to NYT. C.F. Hathaway's Maine factory had been producing shirts since 1837.

*We know there are other shirt manufacturers in America. They do not produce in large quantities or supply major brands.

Mattel toys

Last production date: 2002

The largest toy company in the world closed their last American factory in 2002. Mattel, headquartered in California, produces 65 percent of their products in China as of August 2007.

Minivans

Last production date: circa 2003

A waiver to the Buy America Act permitted an American producer of wheel-chair accessible minivans to purchase Canadian chassis for use in government contracts, because no chassis were available from the United States. The waiver specified: "General Motors and Chrysler minivan chassis, including those used on the Chevrolet Uplander, Pontiac Montana, Buick Terraza, Saturn Relay, Chrysler Town & Country, and Dodge Grand Caravan, are no longer manufactured in the United States."

Note: The Buy America Act requires government mass transportation spending to use American products.

Vending machines

Last production date: circa 2003

You know that thing you put bills into on a vending machine? It isn’t made in America, according to a waiver to the Buy America Act.

Neither is the coin dispenser, according to this federal waiver.

Levi jeans

Last production date: Dec. 2003

Levi Strauss & Co. shut down all its American operations and outsourced production to Latin America and Asia in Dec. 2003. The company's denim products have been an iconic American product for 150 years.

Radio Flyer's Red Wagon

Last production date: March 2004

The little red wagon has been an iconic image of America for years. But once Radio Flyer decided its Chicago plant was too expensive, it began producing most products, including the red wagon, in China.

Televisions

Last production date: Oct. 2004

Five Rivers Electronic Innovations was the last American owned TV color maker in the US. The Tennessee company used LCoS (liquid crystal on silicon) technology to produce televisions for Philips Electronics. But after Philips decided to stop selling TVs with LCoS, Five Rivers eventually filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Oct. 2004. As part of its reorganization plan, the company stopped manufacturing TVs.

Now there are ZERO televisions made in America, according to Business Week.

Cell phones

Last production date: circa 2007

Of the 1.2 billion cell phones sold worldwide in 2008, NOT ONE was made in America, according to Manufacturing & Technology publisher Richard McCormick.

After studying the websites of cell phone companies, we could not identify a single phone that was not manufactured primarily overseas.

Railroads (parts including manganese turnout castings, U69 guard bars, LV braces and weld kits)

Last production date: circa 2008

Here's another standout from dozens of waivers to the Buy America Act: railroad turnouts and weld kits.

Manganese turnout castings are used to widen railroad tracks, and they were used to build our once-great railroad system. U69 guard bars, LV braces and Weld Kits, along with 22 mm Industrial steel chain are basic items that were certifiably not available in the US.

Dell computers

Last production date: Jan. 2010

In January 2010, Dell closed its North Carolina PC factory, its last large U.S. plant. Analysts said Dell would be outsourcing work to Asian manufacturers in an attempt to catch up with the rest of the industry, said analyst Ashok Kumar.

Canned sardines

Last production date: April 2010

Stinson Seafood plant, the last sardine cannery in Maine and the U.S., shut down in April. The first U.S. sardine cannery opened in Maine in 1875, but since the demand for the small, oily fish declined, more canneries closed shop.

Pontiac cars

Last production date: May 2010

The last Pontiac was produced last May. The brand was formally killed on Halloween, as GM contracts Pontiac dealerships expired.

The 84-year-old GM brand was famous for muscle cars.

Forks, spoons, and knives

Last production date: June 2010

The last flatware factory in the US closed last summer. Sherrill Manufacturing bought Oneida Ltd. in 2005, but shut down its fork & knife operations due to the tough economy. CEO Greg Owens says his company may resume production "when the general economic climate improves and as Sherrill Manufacturing is able to put itself back on its feet and recapitalize and regroup."

Incandescent light bulb

Last production date: Sept. 2010

The incandescent light bulb (invented by Thomas Edison) has been phased out.

Our last major factory that made incandescent light bulbs closed in September 2010. In 2007, Congress passed a measure that will ban incandescents by 2014, prompting GE to close its domestic factory.

19 iconic products that america doesn't make anymore: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

is it just me? or does anyone else feel si and maddie would fight over a small dick?

Look around, bones. I ain't argued with Si in weeks....the women writes nothing but bad ad hominems. She can do better, she just won't.

I cannot imagine devoting any time to this new hobby of hers, but o well.

Different strokes....
This is not an ad hominem
:
Those prone to hate can hate a store. I find it ludicrous hating a store, to be honest.

Hating so easily is like taking poison hoping another suffers. It's ugly.

YOU are the one who said you hate a store. If you don't want to be questioned about hating a store and being a hater, then don't tell everyone you hate.

It's called taking responsibility for your own words, something folks with no character cannot do (now that's an implied ad hominem, moron (a direct ad hominem)

You are simply insane and have no character.

I don't like the whole Wal-Mart greeting thing.

I am a nice guy and so I feel I have to say more than hello,

Greeter: "Hello."

Frogen: "How are you?"

Greeter: "Fine, and you?"

Frogen: "Well I am parked in the disabled bay because I am drunk, technically I am disabled."

And then comes the embarrassing silence.

JW just tell them you are dying when they ask you. It will kinda vapor lock them.

and this have a nice day stuff.
I will have a crappy day if I want to.

JW just tell them you are dying when they ask you. It will kinda vapor lock them.

sometimes asking polite questions gets you the uncomfortable truth.

I don't like the whole Wal-Mart greeting thing.

I am a nice guy and so I feel I have to say more than hello,

Greeter: "Hello."

Frogen: "How are you?"

Greeter: "Fine, and you?"

Frogen: "Well I am parked in the disabled bay because I am drunk, technically I am disabled."

And then comes the embarrassing silence.

LOL...JW do you recall one of the first threads we shared, in which I discussed how I would prefer that people allow me to be honest and skip the whole "hello how are you?" dosey-doe?

it is actually pretty funny with some talkative lonely oldsters, because they seem to like nothing more than to speak of their ailments. Even to total strangers.

How are you today.

well my artheritis is acting up and the Dr put me on some new medicine..........

btw I only did the dying response once when it was very clear that the person did not care and I was having a really crappy day.
It is not a nice thing to do to people.

Missed it... That would make me more dim sighted than witted. Actually I am quite clever..sometimes to a fault. AKA "smartass"!:lol::lol:

:smoke:

it is actually pretty funny with some talkative lonely oldsters, because they seem to like nothing more than to speak of their ailments. Even to total strangers.

How are you today.

well my artheritis is acting up and the Dr put me on some new medicine..........

btw I only did the dying response once when it was very clear that the person did not care and I was having a really crappy day.
It is not a nice thing to do to people.

I know its not :eusa_shhh:

Not every single social situation is best met with "niceness".

As for Walmarts greeters....I always thought this was a degrading position to put anyone in. "Here's our old lady mascot, say hi!". But I suppose it might not feel degrading to the chick who's doing the work. I try to be patient with all the fakey-ass social grease some businesses require of their employees -- I know it ain't their fault.

But every year as thousands of my fellow citizens wish me a Merry Xmas in the bank, the grocery, the dry cleaners, etc. I unfailingly respond with "I am not a christian. Would you like me to explain why that's offensive?"

Just doing my part for diversity here. I'm "nice" that-a-way.

As for Walmarts greeters....I always thought this was a degrading position to put anyone in. "Here's our old lady mascot, say hi!". But I suppose it might not feel degrading to the chick who's doing the work. I try to be patient with all the fakey-ass social grease some businesses require of their employees -- I know it ain't their fault.

But every year as thousands of my fellow citizens wish me a Merry Xmas in the bank, the grocery, the dry cleaners, etc. I unfailingly respond with "I am not a christian. Would you like me to explain why that's offensive?"

Like rain at the parade, like ants at a picnic, like a pocket full of nickels and dimes when all you need for the parking meter is a quarter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whoa Madaline, that's rather confrontational, don't you think? You know Christmas is mainly a cultural holiday for many, I doubt if anyone is trying to convert you with their Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

You gotta be kidding me.. I'm not Christian either, but if someone wishes me Merry Christmas, I'm not about to shit all over their parade.

In fact, if someone wishes me Happy Holidays, sometimes I'll respond with "Merry Christmas, simply because I've had enough whiners griping ABOUT Merry Christmas.

:eek::eek::eek:

Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Damn Madeline you need a chill pill. I got issues with christmas but i am not about to smack people around for their holidays and beliefs.

I got a question, if suni man or ekerm wish you a happy ramadan are you going to shit all over them?

Are you going to tell jillian to fuck off is she wishes you a happy Hanukkah?

What the hell do you think all of those guys ringing the bells for the salvation army say to you when you put money in their pots? They usually say god bless and merry christmas. Should i shit all over them?

Now if they come up to you thumping a bible, handing out literature and trying to convert you to the flavor of the month, while wishing you a marry christmas you have my permission to blow them the hell out of the water!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back