I think we all agree that government tax payer money should have nothing to do with college or "higher education". Correct?

Finance. She graduated a couple years ago and is currently doing insurance pre-authorization for a health care provider.

Id probably had considered another college. Or even an online degree for finance.

Even actual real colleges like nku offer finance degrees 100% online. It's not a nationally know college but it's big enough they aren't just some step above community college. Something like that isn't hands on so online would suffice.

In most cases it doesn't matter where your degree comes from as long as you interview well, dressed well, have good manners and can demonstrate you know what you need to and show ambition. They just want to see a degree that shows you can dedicate yourself and you aren't a dummy.

Hell when I was a kid my dad got a diploma from a diploma mill that my mom did the work for him and he got a degree in like 4 weeks via corespondents in the mail for 300 bucks. He got a job with star bank as a sales manager for their leasing division and when they got bought by us bank a year later they made him vice president of leasing. But he knew his shit and his junk diploma didn't mean anything because when he talked they knew he wasn't bullshitting.

Wish I was smart like your daughter though. When it comes to anything finance related I know what I need to know for my own personal life but beyond that I'm at a loss, my brain can't process it. I have a degree as a RN but I can't understand what even the worst cpa has forgotten.

Why should they? Pay the tuition. Take out a legit loan. Get a scholarship. Or don't go. Easy. If what they offer is so great it will be worth the investment.

It's a double edged sword. Tax money, in the form of taxpayer backed loans and financial aid, have turned out to be the single biggest driver of inflating education costs. So in that sense, things would be better off to get rid of that altogether.

On the other hand, fully funding credit courses through community colleges, expanding CC networks, and so forth would be excellent, and would significantly reduce the overall costs of, and provide universal access to, higher education in the US.

It's a double edged sword. Tax money, in the form of taxpayer backed loans and financial aid, have turned out to be the single biggest driver of inflating education costs. So in that sense, things would be better off to get rid of that altogether.

On the other hand, fully funding credit courses through community colleges, expanding CC networks, and so forth would be excellent, and would significantly reduce the overall costs of, and provide universal access to, higher education in the US.
Everything about higher education gets worse when you pour government money into it.

Why should anyone pay for someone else to get a ticket on the gravy train?

Because having a better educated population is good for the country.

And because we need doctors, engineers, teachers, social workers, and other jobs that need post secondary education.

When I went to school I got Pell Grants, some scholarships, and still had to get student loans to finish. And I went to school to be a teacher. Not much of a gravy train there.

Many well-educated people aren't able to function very well in society. Many poorly educated people do quite well. :biggrin:

As long as the well educated people can do the job their education would enable them to do, I am fine with it.

Yes, many people do very well without an education. But I don't want them designing a bridge I will drive over, or handle my medical care, or teach my children/grandchildren.

As long as the well educated people can do the job their education would enable them to do, I am fine with it.

Yes, many people do very well without an education. But I don't want them designing a bridge I will drive over, or handle my medical care, or teach my children/grandchildren.
Bridges usually don't collapse because of poor construction by blue collar workers, but because of poor design, inferior materials, or aging.

The level of medical care needed to keep our population functioning is an indictment of both the medical industry and the education system.

Id probably had considered another college. Or even an online degree for finance.

Even actual real colleges like nku offer finance degrees 100% online. It's not a nationally know college but it's big enough they aren't just some step above community college. Something like that isn't hands on so online would suffice.

In most cases it doesn't matter where your degree comes from as long as you interview well, dressed well, have good manners and can demonstrate you know what you need to and show ambition. They just want to see a degree that shows you can dedicate yourself and you aren't a dummy.

Hell when I was a kid my dad got a diploma from a diploma mill that my mom did the work for him and he got a degree in like 4 weeks via corespondents in the mail for 300 bucks. He got a job with star bank as a sales manager for their leasing division and when they got bought by us bank a year later they made him vice president of leasing. But he knew his shit and his junk diploma didn't mean anything because when he talked they knew he wasn't bullshitting.

Wish I was smart like your daughter though. When it comes to anything finance related I know what I need to know for my own personal life but beyond that I'm at a loss, my brain can't process it. I have a degree as a RN but I can't understand what even the worst cpa has forgotten.
Yeah, their certainly are different ways...and cheaper ways to get degrees then going to a university but she wanted the experience and had already finished her associates, so she only attended two years.

Our state at the time had a deal where you buy college credits when your kids are really young and the price you purchase for credits then are guaranteed at that price when you eventually go to college so at least she was paying prices from 17 years or so prior to her attending. Saved quite a bit of money considering how fast college prices are.

Why should they? Pay the tuition. Take out a legit loan. Get a scholarship. Or don't go. Easy. If what they offer is so great it will be worth the investment.

Most people do not have a problem with publicly funded education through the 12th grade.

Would extending that really be all that crazy of an idea?

Many countries that include college in their public education are kicking our asses in most areas that require higher educations

Because having a better educated population is good for the country.

And because we need doctors, engineers, teachers, social workers, and other jobs that need post secondary education.
Many college educated occupations/professions don't add any value to the nation (social programs, political science). Working people almost always do. Working people are the support structure for the highly educated.

I had this argument recently with my college educated nephew who presented the same argument, that architects are needed to design buildings. I counter with the fact that an experienced builder can build a house without architectural plans (I pointed out that the dining room where we were sitting and the bedroom he slept in were designed by me, on scratch paper). He countered with, "how about skyscrapers"? I checkmated him with "Designing such a building is just part of building it, and the manifold skills needed to actually construct such a building far exceed the skills needed to design it.

Without blue collar workers the plans and dreams of the highly educated never make if off the drawing board.

Last edited:
Most people do not have a problem with publicly funded education through the 12th grade.

Would extending that really be all that crazy of an idea?

Many countries that include college in their public education are kicking our asses in most areas that require higher educations
That's because we are up to our ass in alligators.

Many college educated occupations/professions don't add any value to the nation (social programs, political science). Working people almost always do. Working people are the support structure for the highly educated.

I had this argument recently with my college educated nephew who presented the same argument, that architects are needed to design buildings. I counter with the fact that an experienced builder can build a house without architectural plans (I pointed out that the dining room where we were sitting and the bedroom he slept in were designed by me, on scratch paper). He countered with, "how about skyscrapers"? I checkmated him with "Designing such a building is just part of building it, and the manifold skills needed to actually construct such a building far exceed the skills needed to design it.

Without blue collar workers the plans and dreams of the highly educated never make if off the drawing board.

Bottom line is it takes both the designer and the builder to make it all work. Your experience in adding a room on to your house would not qualify you to design anything larger than a barn.

I do not agree that the manifold skills needed to actually construct such a building far exceed the skills needed to design it. One can be taught to use a hammer or saw far easier than they can be taught to calculate the load bearing wall capacity or the density needed for the foundation to keep the building from falling over or sinking into the ground.

Bridges usually don't collapse because of poor construction by blue collar workers, but because of poor design, inferior materials, or aging.

The level of medical care needed to keep our population functioning is an indictment of both the medical industry and the education system.

That is exactly what I mean. The engineers who design a bridge are people I want educated well.

I have not said anything negative about blue collar workers. I got my degree and taught for a while. Then I left the education system and became a blue collar worker. I remained a cable/fiber optic linemen for years.

I think the investment in a better educated citizen is worth it. Certainly more than the congressional junkets taken to tropical paradises or the bloated DoD budget.

Pell Grants are the basic foundation for most financial aid. I don't think those need to be removed.
Well, A better solution I think would be to take the social security system and turn it on it's head. In social security, you pay in all your life and get it back at the end. In my solution, you get the money from the government upfront and pay for it during your working life. Its deducted from your paycheck the same way your SS payments are deducted.

The amount you get is set to the equivalent of sixty semester hours of the average tuition/fees of ten nearest publicly funded colleges to your residence.

There is absolutely zero needs-based qualification. Everyone gets it. There is no qualifications based on course load or subject material. Most would use it as a springboard to a four year college and knock out their basics as a recent HS grad. But it is available to anyone with an SS number. So if you're working and want to get a college degree in your 30s. You can. If you're working as a mechanic at a garage and want to start your own business and take some courses about doing so. You can. If you are mid career as a frustrated hospital administrator and are considering getting a job as a truck driver; you can use that money to get a certificate. And of course if you want to take Spanish so you can order more brilliantly at a restaurant...you can too. The point is this; you can use the money for whatever you want; there is no artificial regulatory barrier concerning your income or course load requirements.

Now...if you want to take sixty semester hours of dodgeball, you can...just know that every paycheck you get there will be a deduction of about $50 to repay whatever you spent. Any time you draw a paycheck on your social security number....boom.

What it does (besides make it so much easier for recipients) is cuts Wells Fargo and Chase out of the deal. They no longer get to charge late fees (one of the bank presidents named his yacht Overdraft fees which shows you how much they like charging fees), bundle loans and sell them, etc. They will still make money lending for the 3rd and 4th year and grad school. So don't shed any tears for big banks.

I think most people understand that education is a national defense issue; it is an economic issue; it is an issue that affects the survival of the nation.

Forum List

Back