IBM cancels Baton Rouge ribbon-cutting because of Gov. Jindal's anti-gay EO

IBM cancels ribbon-cutting because of Gov. Jindal s executive or - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News Weather Sports Social

(video also at the link)

IBM has cancelled Monday's ribbon-cutting for its new National Service Center in Baton Rouge because of Governor Bobby Jindal's executive order.

The event on June 22 had been reserved for months, according to several city leaders, including Davis Rhorer, executive director of the Downtown Development District.

The technology giant IBM voiced "strong opposition" to Louisiana's so-called religious freedom legislation as far back as mid-April.

In a letter to the governor, IBM executives said the legislation cut at the very heart of what their company stands for, equal rights and opportunity for everyone, discrimination for no one. The letter implored Jindal not to support any agenda that protected discrimination against LGBT people.

Other companies followed suit, triggering a number of similar statements, but IBM, the major player local and state leaders fought so desperately to bring to Baton Rouge, was not amused by Jindal's handling of any of the matter or his response by letter to them.

Though only symbolic, it's also powerful.

I suppose this opens up a number of issues between private business and government, eh?

Discuss.

Right, they had no problem taking LA's money, then they want to run the State as well.

"In addition to a hard-to-refuse incentive package that included heavy tax credits,"

IBM Baton Rouge expansion on target to meet goals NOLA.com
So IBM was willing to take money from someone so long as it was perceived that they shared the same ideology.
As soon as it was revealed that they didn't, now they want to take the moral high ground?

Is IBM leaving Louisiana? Are they not opening the plant?
Or are they just not having the ribbon cutting ceremony?
That just makes them a closet whore instead of a proud in-the-open kind of whore

Article said they might have some kind of dog and pony show in the fall, I'll leave it to you to decide which kind of whore they are.

Let me get this straight, (pardon the pun) the former pervert -in-chief gets about 100k for a speech but IBM thinks a governor's guarantee of religious freedom to his citizens is enough to cancel a (ho-hum) ribbon cutting ceremony. The world it truly upside down to the prog radical left.

You don't have the religious freedom you think you have. If you did, human sacrifice would be legal, if performed as a religious ritual.

Not baking a wedding cake for a gay couple doesn't kill them.

You are comically ignorant.

irony-guide-dogs-blind-read-wytch-demotivational-posters-1314762209.jpg

It violates their rights. Religion is not a detour around the Constitution.

Or you can say that IBM is against repression against others in the name of religion....

When a baker refuses service to a gay couple due to religious objection they are oppressing the gay couple because of their sexuality.

If the gay couple turns around and sues, attempting to force the baker to provide them with that service they are now oppressing the baker's freedom of religion.

This is the why the government shouldn't even be involved. It's a no win situation. The free market is perfectly capable of handling these issues if we'd simply let it.

If the free market could fix everything no one would have found reason to regulate it.

Governments really work to hard to attract big plants to open in there states. I understand taxes, labor, and other things creates a competitive enviroment but this is really putting a lot of pressure on the democracies there to do certain things such as building better schools for better workers. Honestly, if they want better workers then educate the. Yourselves because it is your problem. I'm getting tired of big out of state companies making a list of demands for the voters and politicians to jump through in order for them to move there. Now they want people to change there political opinions. They are free to do what they want but they shouldn't expect me to jump through to many hoops for them to open up here.

IBM cancels ribbon-cutting because of Gov. Jindal s executive or - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News Weather Sports Social

(video also at the link)

IBM has cancelled Monday's ribbon-cutting for its new National Service Center in Baton Rouge because of Governor Bobby Jindal's executive order.

The event on June 22 had been reserved for months, according to several city leaders, including Davis Rhorer, executive director of the Downtown Development District.

The technology giant IBM voiced "strong opposition" to Louisiana's so-called religious freedom legislation as far back as mid-April.

In a letter to the governor, IBM executives said the legislation cut at the very heart of what their company stands for, equal rights and opportunity for everyone, discrimination for no one. The letter implored Jindal not to support any agenda that protected discrimination against LGBT people.

Other companies followed suit, triggering a number of similar statements, but IBM, the major player local and state leaders fought so desperately to bring to Baton Rouge, was not amused by Jindal's handling of any of the matter or his response by letter to them.

I suppose this opens up a number of issues between private business and government, eh?

Discuss.
So apparently IBM is against religious freedom..... Time to boycott IBM products!!!!
IBM opposes discrimination, which doesn't constitute opposing religious freedom.

You are ignorant, but there's nothing amusing about it.

(video also at the link)

Discuss.
So apparently IBM is against religious freedom..... Time to boycott IBM products!!!!
IBM opposes discrimination, which doesn't constitute opposing religious freedom.

No
IBM claims to oppose discrimination

If they had a real backbone they'd pack up and leave, but they're not

(video also at the link)

Discuss.

Right, they had no problem taking LA's money, then they want to run the State as well.

"In addition to a hard-to-refuse incentive package that included heavy tax credits,"

Gays pay taxes. They come from straight families. Good people love their children.

Or you can say that IBM is against repression against others in the name of religion....

When a baker refuses service to a gay couple due to religious objection they are oppressing the gay couple because of their sexuality.

If the gay couple turns around and sues, attempting to force the baker to provide them with that service they are now oppressing the baker's freedom of religion.

This is the why the government shouldn't even be involved. It's a no win situation. The free market is perfectly capable of handling these issues if we'd simply let it.

And naturally you've contacted your Congressman to have Title II of the Civil Rights Act repealed, right?

The laws that require the gay person to bake for the Christian exist at the FEDERAL level. The laws that require a Christian to bake the cake for the gays are local laws. You know, states rights and all...

Exactly, all it then boils down to is who's butt hurt is more in fashion.

So they won't let the governor cut the ribbon, and z business doesn't have to let the governor on its property, unless legally required to. Next up, 'Congress Up In Arms: Not invited to Laundromat'

(video also at the link)

Discuss.

Gays pay taxes. They come from straight families. Good people love their children.

Has nothing to do with the price of tea in China or the fact that IBM took what you lefties call corporate welfare.

Corporate America has no Moral Backbone... just a commitment to the Bottom Line.

Corporate America isn't SUPPOSED to have a backbone, they are SUPPOSED to make money for their Stockholders..... You. And me.

I couldn't give a fuck less about butt rangers and bean flickers. But I do care if IBM makes a profit and sends me my dividend check.

If they feel that giving these SCUM a platform for them to protest their Company is a detriment to their making of a profit, they do what they have to do.

Looking to a Corporation for morality is a fool's errand.

Want morality? Vote scum of the earth dimocrap FILTH out of office.

THEN you might have a chance at some morality in this Country.

I've been saying this for years. Jindal is so incredibly naive that he does not understand that the Louisiana state government is owned by corporate interests, and he is only their front man. I don't think that his political education went past 8th grade Civics.

I've been saying this for years. Jindal is so incredibly naive that he does not understand that the Louisiana state government is owned by corporate interests, and he is only their front man. I don't think that his political education went past 8th grade Civics.
Pretty impressive, actually

Jindal studied for a Bachelor of Science in biology and public policy at Brown University from 1988 to 1991 and then a Master of Letters in political science from New College, Oxford, as a Rhodes Scholar.

(video also at the link)

Discuss.

So why do they continue to do business in Saudi Arabia?

So Jindal stands up to corporate interests and you want to slam him for that? You're just a partisan hack.

Forum List

Back