Iconic photos through time

The Shuttle Disaster:
Challenger-Disaster.jpg

9k=

0299b28ba420f0c1ee93ae3d0f5f2408.jpg

Vietnam Veterans Memorial (USA). The opposite of DC’s white, gleaming marble, the black, low-lying Vietnam memorial cuts into the earth, just as the Vietnam War cut into the national psyche. The monument shows the names of the war’s 58,267 fatalities – listed in the order they died – along a dark, reflective wall.

Took us long enough.

Any sports fans out there? There are probably a few moments we could include on that front. :thup:

I'll show pictures of when the Vikings won the Super Bowl.

TADA!!!

Started to post Challenger explosion but couldn't ....

This afternoon I watched the movie "The Challenger Disaster" starring William Hurt. I recommend it highly. It recounts the investigation into the tragedy. Centering on Richard Feynman, Nobel winning physicist and member of the disaster committee, it essentially exposes what ammounted to a conspiracy by NASA to cover up embarrassing aspects of the case. His exposition of the non-pliability of the o-rings at low temperature was a classic display of practical science in a simple yet profound demonstration.

I'm a big Feynman fan so this photo of him with an o-ring sample and a glass of ice water at a hearing of the committee is iconic.

4795174061_ab600e8beb_o.jpg

here...:D (Helen Forest vocals)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Sjh5nszHg]Smoke Gets in your eyes - Benny Goodman & Helen Forrest - YouTube[/ame]

Robert Kennedy Jr, June 5 1968

02f02a1163e10e0577b0ccdbc5322e1e.jpg

Assassination of Robert F. Kennedy ( Boris Yaro / Los Angeles Times ) June 5, 1968, Los Angeles Busboy Juan Romero, 17, comforts Robert F. Kennedy moments after Kennedy is shot in the pantry of the Ambassador Hotel kitchen. Thirty-five years later, Romero would tell Times’ columnist Steve Lopez: “He was looking up at the ceiling, and I thought he’d banged his head. I asked, ‘Are you OK? Can you get up?'”

0299b28ba420f0c1ee93ae3d0f5f2408.jpg

Vietnam Veterans Memorial (USA). The opposite of DC’s white, gleaming marble, the black, low-lying Vietnam memorial cuts into the earth, just as the Vietnam War cut into the national psyche. The monument shows the names of the war’s 58,267 fatalities – listed in the order they died – along a dark, reflective wall.

Took us long enough.

I've mentioned before that my first visit to the Wall was one of the most powerfully emotional events of my life. It wasn't until much later that I learned about the controversy that erupted around the design selection because the student architect Maya Ying Lin who designed it was Asian. Seems so petty now...

maya-lin.jpg

Forum List

Back