If God doesn't exist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. You don't see any connection to the spiritual world, Buddhism is based on science, Buddhism has identified the mind as the source of the misconception and psychology is the science of the mind.

You remind me of the teenage son telling the father how to live his life. LOL
I am not telling you how to live your life. I am telling you what I believe. I believe that everything you are telling me fits the definition of psychology.

That analogy zinged about 3 feet over your head but I'm glad you managed to get the round peg into your square hole.
Was that you being an island unto yourself? Was that you eliminating your desires?

No. It is a common theme to all religions and a key to happiness and success. It really is the only way to see reality and sharpen one's intelligence.
No it's not. I just looked it up and it's a Christian thing.

What does the Bible mean by "dying to self"?

The concept of “dying to self” is found throughout the New Testament. It expresses the true essence of the Christian life, in which we take up our cross and follow Christ. Dying to self is part of being born again; the old self dies and the new self comes to life (John 3:3–7). Not only are Christians born again when we come to salvation, but we also continue dying to self as part of the process of sanctification. As such, dying to self is both a one-time event and a lifelong process.

It's little stuff like this that bugs me. It's cult talk. You take up your cross? How so?

And what if I like my old self?

But I shouldn't make fun. The moral of this message is good. You can become a better person. I get it. You can always change. You could teach this message without talking snakes you know.
Of course it is a Christian thing and despite what BRNMR claims it is a Buddhist thing too and it is a common to all religions. Dying to self means to not have a preference for an outcome or the consequences to yourself for any given event. It is the only way to be objective and see reality. If you don't want to do it, don't. Your call. I couldn't care less. If you don't want to believe me, don't. I couldn't care less about that either. At any point in your life you are the sum of your choices, this choice is no different.

I think it should be "I could care less".

"Could Care Less" Versus "Couldn't Care Less"

You'r kidding, right? I could not care less means that I care so little that there is no level beyond my current level.
When that saying came from England it was "I couldn't care less" but then the American version is "I could care less". What's the right way? There is no right or wrong way. Believe what you want. It's not like you'll go to hell if you say it one way vs. the other. LOL.
Logic dictates it is I couldn't care less.

That analogy zinged about 3 feet over your head but I'm glad you managed to get the round peg into your square hole.
Was that you being an island unto yourself? Was that you eliminating your desires?

That makes no sense. I don't think your able to understand anything I've been saying. Your loss.
That is only because you have not destroyed (getting rid of - seeing through etc) your misconception of how you exist.

"Buddha said, ‘If someone is suffering, that is his karma.’ You are not to interfere with another person’s karma because he is purging himself through suffering and reincarnation! Buddha said, ‘You are to be an island unto yourself.’"[80]

[80] Carlson, Fast Facts on False Teachings, 29.

That makes no sense. I don't think your able to understand anything I've been saying. Your loss.
That is only because you have not destroyed (getting rid of - seeing through etc) your misconception of how you exist.

"Buddha said, ‘If someone is suffering, that is his karma.’ You are not to interfere with another person’s karma because he is purging himself through suffering and reincarnation! Buddha said, ‘You are to be an island unto yourself.’"[80]

I thought you wanted to learn something but it seems you're just looking to be right. I wasted my time on you.

I thought you wanted to learn something but it seems you're just looking to be right. I wasted my time on you.
And I thought you practiced what you preached. You have wasted time, but it was not on me.

I don't see how it is different at all other than you have no practical way of doing it. Besides as near as I can tell, what you have described to me is the science of psychology, not a religion. In fact, they have college courses on Buddhism and modern psychology at Princeton.

This is the problem. Someone like Ding, and others like him, get vaguely familiar with Buddhism and think they understand it. They then make ill-informed and erroneous statements about it, giving others a false picture. They'd do well to empty their minds on the topic and listen to people who've actually studied Buddhism formally from a master and practiced it for years.
The problem is in the mind, right? Your efforts are to correct the problem of the mind, right? That's psychology. He practiced psychology, the science of the mind.
I think you should bring this conversation to your master and see what he has to say about it. I can guarantee you that he won't be discussing anything I wrote. He will be discussing your responses to what I wrote. Unless of course, he believes that I can control you that is. Which if he does, he is no master at all. Your problem is that you have a preference for an outcome which tells me that you have not died of self or as you are wont to say, returned to your state of emptiness.

Dying to self is part of being born again; the old self dies and the new self comes to life (John 3:3–7).

The Triumph of Good vs Evil, the religion of the Almighty is not for a Spirit to die but to become pure in one or the other options - possibly from birth never to sin as may be the case of Jesus but is not a preclusion against making errors " Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani " but simply the means to attain Admission to the Everlasting.

.....But I shouldn't make fun. The moral of this message is good. You can become a better person. I get it. You can always change. You could teach this message without talking snakes you know.

images

But you obviously can't.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Did you see this?

"New York Times executive editor: 'We don't get religion'
The executive editor of The New York Times said in an interview this week that journalists at his publication, and elsewhere, have a hard time understanding religion and the role it plays in people's lives.

"I think that the New York-based — and Washington-based too, probably — media powerhouses don't quite get religion."
New York Times executive editor: 'We don't get religion'

Geee.....who knew?

.....But I shouldn't make fun. The moral of this message is good. You can become a better person. I get it. You can always change. You could teach this message without talking snakes you know.

images

But you obviously can't.

*****SMILE*****

Did you see this?

The executive editor of The New York Times said in an interview this week that journalists at his publication, and elsewhere, have a hard time understanding religion and the role it plays in people's lives.

"I think that the New York-based — and Washington-based too, probably — media powerhouses don't quite get religion."

Geee.....who knew?

Do you get Islam? Do you get Mormons? If you do explain.

images

But you obviously can't.

*****SMILE*****

Did you see this?

Geee.....who knew?

I have no beef with the Mormons.

And...what makes you imagine (I almost said 'think') Islam is a religion?

1. "We believe in freedom of religion insofar as a religion teaches peace and love and the brotherhood of man. When someone uses the concept of religion to dominate other religions through force and coercion or to take over a nation, they you have to say, "My friend, that's not a religion."
Michael Savage

2. Admiral James “Ace” Lyons, Jr. (Ret.), the former commander in chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet,".... until you recognize that Islam is a political movement masquerading as a religion, you’re never going to come to grips with it. And as far as a strategy – let me just conclude one thing, as I just had in my latest op-ed -- the Obama Administration has a strategy.”
“It’s very simple, any thinking American should be able to grasp,” said the admiral. “It’s anti-American, anti-Western, it’s pro-Islamic, it’s pro-Iranian, and pro-Muslim Brotherhood!”
http://cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-c...ategy-it-s-anti-american-pro-islamic-it-s-pro

3. 'Christians and Jews....the more devout, the less violent. Not so with Islam.' Bill Donohue

4. BTW.....can you name the only 'religion' that Barack Hussein Obama has stood up for, shielded from criticism, defended and advanced?
Shall I wait....?

5. And....you seem not to grasp this:
[President Recep Tayyip] Erdogan from Turkey said, ‘Islam is Islam. There are no modifiers [e.g., Islamic extremism]. Democracy is the train we ride to our ultimate objective.[ world domination.] It must be understood that Islam is a political movement masquerading as a religion. The Islamic movement will seize power as soon as it is able.
Obama’s distorted strategy

4. BTW.....can you name the only 'religion' that Barack Hussein Obama has stood up for, shielded from criticism, defended and advanced?
I think Obama stands up for FREEDOM of belief, including belief in stupidity, like religion.
There are differences between belief and overt behavior.
It's the bad behavior that should be condemned, and I'm sure Obama condemns Islamic extremism that expands to authoritarian politics & violence.

I think Obama stands up for FREEDOM of belief, including belief in stupidity, like religion.
It's the bad behavior that should be condemned, and I'm sure Obama condemns Islamic extremism that expands to authoritarian politics & violence.

Hmmmm......speaking of 'stupidity,' you seem to have dodged the question you linked to....
.....can you name the only 'religion' that Barack Hussein Obama has stood up for, shielded from criticism, defended and advanced?

.....can you name the only 'religion' that Barack Hussein Obama has stood up for, shielded from criticism, defended and advanced?
No, can you?
Please don't get stupid on me; you're halfway there.

No, can you?
Please don't get stupid on me; you're halfway there.

Hmm.....you linked to this query....

Then ignored your own link.

Pretty much a priori evidence of your stupidity.
True?

images

But you obviously can't.

*****SMILE*****

Did you see this?

Geee.....who knew?

1. "We believe in freedom of religion insofar as a religion teaches peace and love and the brotherhood of man. When someone uses the concept of religion to dominate other religions through force and coercion or to take over a nation, they you have to say, "My friend, that's not a religion."
Michael Savage

2. Admiral James “Ace” Lyons, Jr. (Ret.), the former commander in chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet,".... until you recognize that Islam is a political movement masquerading as a religion, you’re never going to come to grips with it. And as far as a strategy – let me just conclude one thing, as I just had in my latest op-ed -- the Obama Administration has a strategy.”
“It’s very simple, any thinking American should be able to grasp,” said the admiral. “It’s anti-American, anti-Western, it’s pro-Islamic, it’s pro-Iranian, and pro-Muslim Brotherhood!”
http://cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-c...ategy-it-s-anti-american-pro-islamic-it-s-pro

3. 'Christians and Jews....the more devout, the less violent. Not so with Islam.' Bill Donohue

Shall I wait....?

[President Recep Tayyip] Erdogan from Turkey said, ‘Islam is Islam. There are no modifiers [e.g., Islamic extremism]. Democracy is the train we ride to our ultimate objective.[ world domination.] It must be understood that Islam is a political movement masquerading as a religion. The Islamic movement will seize power as soon as it is able.

You don't have a beef with Mormons? Not the point. Do you get it? No you do not. You recognize it as a silly cult foolish enough to believe such nonsense. They just say your religion lost its authority from God in the dark ages and God told Joseph Smith to start a new one. And they do recruit just like islam.

And I don't care what savage says Islam is another religion. And like Christians some are good and some are bad. So Islam is free to be in the USA.

I hope the new gop government will stop taking in Muslims but they won't. They'll say it's for humanitarian reasons but they love the cheap labor

images

But you obviously can't.

*****SMILE*****

Did you see this?

Geee.....who knew?

Michael Savage

Shall I wait....?

You believe in only religions you approve of. Lol. How free is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back