If God doesn't exist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying die to self?

No. The trick is to realize the self's true nature and destroy the misconception.
I see. Our true nature is nothingness and we have to destroy the part of us that keeps us from seeing that, but it isn't our "self" that is keeping us from seeing our true nature. Do I have that right? Can you be a little more specific about which part of us we must destroy to see our true nature? And after we see our true nature what will happen?

No. The trick is to realize the self's true nature and destroy the misconception.

I see. Our true nature is nothingness

No. Merely the lack of existing inherently.

and we have to destroy the part of us that keeps us from seeing that, but it isn't our "self" that is keeping us from seeing our true nature. Do I have that right?

We have to see that our conception of self is mistaken.

Can you be a little more specific about which part of us we must destroy to see our true nature? And after we see our true nature what will happen?

Once we are able to see through our misconception, and see our true nature, our minds mix with this nature like pure water poured into pure water and we experience bliss and happiness.

This of course, isn't easy.

How can you destroy something that never existed?

We're not trying to destroy an inherently existing self. No need to destroy something that never existed. We're destroying (getting rid of - seeing through etc) our misconception of how we exist.

What do you mean "IF" god doesn't exist. I didn't know that there was ever a consensus that he ever did exist. :dunno:

How can you destroy something that never existed?

We're not trying to destroy an inherently existing self. No need to destroy something that never existed. We're destroying (getting rid of - seeing through etc) our misconception of how we exist.
I don't think that Bry himself even understands his own religion properly. :D

and we have to destroy the part of us that keeps us from seeing that, but it isn't our "self" that is keeping us from seeing our true nature. Do I have that right?

Can you be a little more specific about which part of us we must destroy to see our true nature? And after we see our true nature what will happen?

Once we are able to see through our misconception, and see our true nature, our minds mix with this nature like pure water poured into pure water and we experience bliss and happiness.

Where does this lack of existing inherently (i.e. misconception) reside?

The 2 are separate things. The lack of existing inherently is Emptiness. This emptiness is the true nature of everything and btw is a permanent. Misconception is just that and exists in the mind.

The 2 are separate things. The lack of existing inherently is Emptiness. This emptiness is the true nature of everything and btw is a permanent. Misconception is just that and exists in the mind.
So basically you are saying that your religion is based on the psychology of mind, right?

So basically you are saying that your religion is based on the psychology of mind, right?

I see Buddhism as a path to happiness. That's what it is. The study of wisdom (Emptiness) is one of the 2 wings that give it flight. The other being compassion.

Meditations on Emptiness bear positive results for our life experience and ultimately lead to Enlightenment.

I see Buddhism as a path to happiness. That's what it is. The study of wisdom (Emptiness) is one of the 2 wings that give it flight. The other being compassion.

Meditations on Emptiness bear positive results for our life experience and ultimately lead to Enlightenment.
Sure but the essence of it is psychology, right?

psy·chol·o·gy
sīˈkäləjē/
noun
  1. the scientific study of the human mind and its functions, especially those affecting behavior in a given context.
    synonyms: study of the mind, science of the mind
    "a degree in psychology"
    • the mental characteristics or attitude of a person or group.
      plural noun: psychologies
      "the psychology of Americans in the 1920s"
      synonyms: mindset, mind, mental processes, thought processes, way of thinking, cast of mind, mentality, persona, psyche, (mental) attitude(s), makeup, character;
      informalwhat makes someone tick
      "the psychology of the motorist"
    • the mental and emotional factors governing a situation or activity.
      "the psychology of interpersonal relationships"

Did 'God' create humans so they could invent 'Him'?

Aren't adults who believe in god similar to children who have an invisible friend? What harm can come from someone who believes they have an invisible friend? Leave them alone if it provides them comfort.

OR, we could recognize this is not a good way for adults to think. People who are gullible are very easily fooled. A great example of this is our horseshit government. How smart of a people can we be? And keep in mind the vast majority of us believe in god. Is there a connection? I think so.

And even religious people agree with me that religious people are stupid. Ask any Christian what they think about the muslim or mormon religion. Is it real or man made up? Are the people who follow those religions gullible? If you are a christian you must believe they are being conned with a lie.

View attachment 102265

Yet the best you can do is hurl insults at those who believe in God while avoiding any direct questioning of your own metaphilosophical theology.

Recent developments suggest that at the start of the universal big bang the speed of light was much faster than the constant that we assume it is today. Will it be slower tomorrow? Are Newton's Laws irrefutable? Why does the EM drive appear to work even though it appears to violate the conservation of mass and energy?

You can't even be sure that the universe existed a nanosecond ago because we all might be part of some giant SIM program that someone called God started up when he hit the switch to play.

What makes you any better than the ones you criticize?

While I'm positive God exists.

*****SMILE*****

:)

You're just mad because I made you realize you're just as stupid as a Mormon or Muslim. They too are certain God exists too but look at the reasons they believe. Same reasons you believe. They have magic underwear and you have virgin births and talking snakes.

My insults are designed to make it clear how stupid you're being. It's like smacking someone who's histerical. I don't mean to hurt you, just wake you up.

The best I can do is point out you're illogical

upload_2016-12-16_9-17-58.jpeg

At least I'm not as stupid as someone who thinks they can insult people about believing in God but apparently doesn't know much of anything about science which they claim holds the answers to the OP question.

It takes a special kind of moron to think that science disproves God and pretty much not know a thing about science itself.

******CHUCKLE******

:)

Show me a hot woman and I'll show you a man whos sick of banging her. Its better than nothing but to some guy that girls only an 8. To us she's an eleven

Same applies to good food, good movies, good anything. We Buddhists call it changing suffering. If banging hot girls created true happiness then the more you did it the happier you'd be.
Name something you do where the more you do it the happier you get.
Die to self.
Huh? Is that Shakespeare?
No. It is a common theme to all religions and a key to happiness and success. It really is the only way to see reality and sharpen one's intelligence.
No it's not. I just looked it up and it's a Christian thing.

What does the Bible mean by "dying to self"?

The concept of “dying to self” is found throughout the New Testament. It expresses the true essence of the Christian life, in which we take up our cross and follow Christ. Dying to self is part of being born again; the old self dies and the new self comes to life (John 3:3–7). Not only are Christians born again when we come to salvation, but we also continue dying to self as part of the process of sanctification. As such, dying to self is both a one-time event and a lifelong process.

It's little stuff like this that bugs me. It's cult talk. You take up your cross? How so?

And what if I like my old self?

But I shouldn't make fun. The moral of this message is good. You can become a better person. I get it. You can always change. You could teach this message without talking snakes you know.

In his bank account, he's broke.

If god didn't exist then the world would be exactly as is it today.

:thanks:

But I shouldn't make fun. The moral of this message is good. You can become a better person. I get it. You can always change. You could teach this message without talking snakes you know.

During the times when it was written there was no such thing as freedom of speech. You could not speak openly about religious frauds, corrupt leaders, or those who practiced sorcery, what you would think of as mind control, except indirectly by using metaphors such as talking snakes, donkeys, demons from hell, etc., without you and your entire family or tribe being summarily put to death. It is still exactly like that in many places around the world to this day.

It was intentionally written that way to go over the heads of those who did not think very deeply about anything which was the vast majority of people back then.

Still works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back