If God doesn't exist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure but the essence of it is psychology, right?

The Western concept of psychology doesn't really fit here because it implies an objective reality - an existent reality. It makes a clear distinction a duality. Why are you asking?

Same applies to good food, good movies, good anything. We Buddhists call it changing suffering. If banging hot girls created true happiness then the more you did it the happier you'd be.
Name something you do where the more you do it the happier you get.
Die to self.
Huh? Is that Shakespeare?
No. It is a common theme to all religions and a key to happiness and success. It really is the only way to see reality and sharpen one's intelligence.
No it's not. I just looked it up and it's a Christian thing.

What does the Bible mean by "dying to self"?

The concept of “dying to self” is found throughout the New Testament. It expresses the true essence of the Christian life, in which we take up our cross and follow Christ. Dying to self is part of being born again; the old self dies and the new self comes to life (John 3:3–7). Not only are Christians born again when we come to salvation, but we also continue dying to self as part of the process of sanctification. As such, dying to self is both a one-time event and a lifelong process.

It's little stuff like this that bugs me. It's cult talk. You take up your cross? How so?

And what if I like my old self?

But I shouldn't make fun. The moral of this message is good. You can become a better person. I get it. You can always change. You could teach this message without talking snakes you know.
Of course it is a Christian thing and despite what BRNMR claims it is a Buddhist thing too and it is a common to all religions. Dying to self means to not have a preference for an outcome or the consequences to yourself for any given event. It is the only way to be objective and see reality. If you don't want to do it, don't. Your call. I couldn't care less. If you don't want to believe me, don't. I couldn't care less about that either. At any point in your life you are the sum of your choices, this choice is no different.

Sure but the essence of it is psychology, right?

The Western concept of psychology doesn't really fit here because it implies an objective reality - an existent reality. It makes a clear distinction a duality. Why are you asking?
I thought it was obvious. You have described an issue of the mind. Psychology is the science of the mind.

Of course it is a Christian thing and despite what BRNMR claims it is a Buddhist thing too and it is a common to all religions.

Obviously you haven't understood what I've been saying. Your dying to self has nothing to do with Buddhism.

Of course it is a Christian thing and despite what BRNMR claims it is a Buddhist thing too and it is a common to all religions.

Obviously you haven't understood what I've been saying. Your dying to self has nothing to do with Buddhism.
I don't see how it is different at all other than you have no practical way of doing it. Besides as near as I can tell, what you have described to me is the science of psychology, not a religion. In fact, they have college courses on Buddhism and modern psychology at Princeton.

I thought it was obvious. You have described an issue of the mind. Psychology is the science of the mind.

You thought wrong.
I disagree. You don't see any connection to the spiritual world, Buddhism is based on science, Buddhism has identified the mind as the source of the misconception and psychology is the science of the mind.

I don't see how it is different at all other than you have no practical way of doing it. Besides as near as I can tell, what you have described to me is the science of psychology, not a religion. In fact, they have college courses on Buddhism and modern psychology at Princeton.

This is the problem. Someone like Ding, and others like him, get vaguely familiar with Buddhism and think they understand it. They then make ill-informed and erroneous statements about it, giving others a false picture. They'd do well to empty their minds on the topic and listen to people who've actually studied Buddhism formally from a master and practiced it for years.

I disagree. You don't see any connection to the spiritual world, Buddhism is based on science, Buddhism has identified the mind as the source of the misconception and psychology is the science of the mind.

You remind me of the teenage son telling the father how to live his life. LOL

Name something you do where the more you do it the happier you get.
Die to self.
No. It is a common theme to all religions and a key to happiness and success. It really is the only way to see reality and sharpen one's intelligence.

The concept of “dying to self” is found throughout the New Testament. It expresses the true essence of the Christian life, in which we take up our cross and follow Christ. Dying to self is part of being born again; the old self dies and the new self comes to life (John 3:3–7). Not only are Christians born again when we come to salvation, but we also continue dying to self as part of the process of sanctification. As such, dying to self is both a one-time event and a lifelong process.

It's little stuff like this that bugs me. It's cult talk. You take up your cross? How so?

But I shouldn't make fun. The moral of this message is good. You can become a better person. I get it. You can always change. You could teach this message without talking snakes you know.
Of course it is a Christian thing and despite what BRNMR claims it is a Buddhist thing too and it is a common to all religions. Dying to self means to not have a preference for an outcome or the consequences to yourself for any given event. It is the only way to be objective and see reality. If you don't want to do it, don't. Your call. I couldn't care less. If you don't want to believe me, don't. I couldn't care less about that either. At any point in your life you are the sum of your choices, this choice is no different.

I think it should be "I could care less".

"Could Care Less" Versus "Couldn't Care Less"

This is the problem. Someone like Ding, and others like him, get vaguely familiar with Buddhism and think they understand it. They then make ill-informed and erroneous statements about it, giving others a false picture. They'd do well to empty their minds on the topic and listen to people who've actually studied Buddhism formally from a master and practiced it for years.
The problem is in the mind, right? Your efforts are to correct the problem of the mind, right? That's psychology. He practiced psychology, the science of the mind.

What do you mean "IF" god doesn't exist. I didn't know that there was ever a consensus that he ever did exist. :dunno:

Do you know who's words I live my life by? Shakespeare

“This above all: to thine own self be true
Good for you. You will know if it works by your outcomes.

I follow this one only I take out the Love God because I don't believe there is one.

But if there was a god, I would love him. I just don't believe there is one. We made it up.

The problem is in the mind, right? Your efforts are to correct the problem of the mind, right? That's psychology. He practiced psychology, the science of the mind.

Die to self.

You'r kidding, right? I could not care less means that I care so little that there is no level beyond my current level.

What do you mean "IF" god doesn't exist. I didn't know that there was ever a consensus that he ever did exist. :dunno:

Do you know who's words I live my life by? Shakespeare

“This above all: to thine own self be true
Good for you. You will know if it works by your outcomes.

I follow this one only I take out the Love God because I don't believe there is one.

But if there was a god, I would love him. I just don't believe there is one. We made it up.
I could not be happier for you.

I am not telling you how to live your life. I am telling you what I believe. I believe that everything you are telling me fits the definition of psychology.

You'r kidding, right? I could not care less means that I care so little that there is no level beyond my current level.
When that saying came from England it was "I couldn't care less" but then the American version is "I could care less". What's the right way? There is no right or wrong way. Believe what you want. It's not like you'll go to hell if you say it one way vs. the other. LOL.

.....But I shouldn't make fun. The moral of this message is good. You can become a better person. I get it. You can always change. You could teach this message without talking snakes you know.

images

But you obviously can't.

*****SMILE*****

:)

I am not telling you how to live your life. I am telling you what I believe. I believe that everything you are telling me fits the definition of psychology.

That analogy zinged about 3 feet over your head but I'm glad you managed to get the round peg into your square hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back