If God loves us unconditionally, why does he kill us instead of curing us?

Because of a loving God, they went to a better place.

After suffering a terribly painful death that left their parents with a lifetime of grief they will never be free of. Yeah god.

Because of a loving God, they can get over it.

They can get over a terribly painful death? How does that work?

All things are possible through Jesus. Believe first. Have faith.

It does if you believe in Jesus first and have faith. God gave Adam a negative test. He gives you a positive test -- John 3:16.

After suffering a terribly painful death that left their parents with a lifetime of grief they will never be free of. Yeah god.

It does if you believe in Jesus first and have faith. God gave Adam a negative test. He gives you a positive test -- John 3:16.

If it's a matter of believing before you have any reason to believe, Why would anyone choose to believe one over any other religion that has no demonstrable reason to believe, or some other god that you have no demonstrable reason to believe? Because some TV preacher said so? Is choosing a god to dedicate your life to just a matter of pulling a random god out of a hat?

If it's a matter of believing before you have any reason to believe, Why would anyone choose to believe one over any other religion that has no demonstrable reason to believe, or some other god that you have no demonstrable reason to believe? Because some TV preacher said so? Is choosing a god to dedicate your life to just a matter of pulling a random god out of a hat?

Don't be silly. Christianity is by far the most appealing of all religions. You can remain sinful for the rest of your life as long as you admit that you are a worthless piece of shit, worship Jesus as your personal god and savior, beg him to forgive you for being human, thank him for being crucified in your place, and then eat him. Yummy!

Thats it! All that you have to do is swallow that load and then you are saved, woo hoo!, and you will receive eternal life with God in paradise, (just as soon as you die that is),....Guaranteed!

In the meantime you get to give 10% of your income and your children to a pervert, and gibber about the end of the world, hell, the antichrist, gays, demons, fornicators, the devil, Satan, atheists, Jews, libtards, Hillary, and Jesus is coming, singing "nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I think I'll eat some worms" like a chicken without a head until you die.

A blessedly oblivious life! No disturbing thoughts, no awareness. You believe, you are saved, no worries! Simple.

A win win win win win situation!

How can anyone possibly beat that deal?

:777:

Last edited:

Don't be silly. Christianity is by far the most appealing of all religions. You can remain sinful for the rest of your life as long as you admit that you are a worthless piece of shit, worship Jesus as your personal god and savior, beg him to forgive you for being human, thank him for being crucified in your place, and then eat him. Yummy!

Thats it! All that you have to do is swallow that load and then you are saved, woo hoo!, and you will receive eternal life with God in paradise, (just as soon as you die that is),....Guaranteed!

In the meantime you get to give 10% of your income and your children to a pervert, and gibber about the end of the world, hell, the antichrist, gays, demons, fornicators, the devil, Satan, atheists, Jews, libtards, Hillary, and Jesus is coming, singing "nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I think I'll eat some worms" like a chicken without a head until you die.

A blessedly oblivious life! No disturbing thoughts, no awareness. You believe, you are saved, no worries! Simple.

C.S. Lewis responds...

I have been asked to tell you what Christians believe, and I am going to begin by telling you one thing that Christians do not need to believe. If you are a Christian you do not have to believe that all the other religions are simply wrong all through. If you are an atheist you do have to believe that the main point in all the religions of the whole world is simply one huge mistake. If you are a Christian, you are free to think that all these religions, even the queerest ones, contain at least some hint of the truth. When I was an atheist I had to try to persuade myself that most of the human race have always been wrong about the question that mattered to them most; when I became a Christian I was able to take a more liberal view. But, of course, being a Christian does mean thinking that where Christianity differs from other religions, Christianity is right and they are wrong. As in arithmetic — there is only one right answer to a sum, and all other answers are wrong: but some of the wrong answers are much nearer being right than others. The first big division of humanity is into the majority, who believe in some kind of God or gods, and the minority who do not. On this point, Christianity lines up with the majority — lines up with ancient Greeks and Romans, modern savages, Stoics, Platonists, Hindus, Mohammedans, etc., against the modern Western European materialist. Now I go on to the next big division. People who all believe in God can be divided according to the sort of God they believe in. There are two very different ideas on this subject One of them is the idea that He is beyond good and evil. We humans call one thing good and another thing bad. But according to some people that is merely our human point of view. These people would say that the wiser you become the less you would want to call anything good or bad, and the more dearly you would see that everything is good in one way and bad in another, and that nothing could have been different. Consequently, these people think that long before you got anywhere near the divine point of view the distinction would have disappeared altogether. We call a cancer bad, they would say, because it kills a man; but you might just as well call a successful surgeon bad because he kills a cancer. It all depends on the point of view. The other and opposite idea is that God is quite definitely "good" or "righteous." a God who takes sides, who loves love and hates hatred, who wants us to behave in one way and not in another. The first of these views — the one that thinks God beyond good and evil — is called Pantheism. It was held by the great Prussian philosopher Hegel and, as far as I can understand them, by the Hindus. The other view is held by Jews, Mohammedans and Christians. And with this big difference between Pantheism and the Christian idea of God, there usually goes another. Pantheists usually believe that God, so to speak, animates the universe as you animate your body: that the universe almost is God, so that if it did not exist He would not exist either, and anything you find in the universe is a part of God. The Christian idea is quite different. They think God invented and made the universe — like a man making a picture or composing a tune. A painter is not a picture, and he does not die if his picture is destroyed. You may say, "He's put a lot of himself into it," but you only mean that all its beauty and interest has come out of his head. His skill is not in the picture in the same way that it is in his head, or even in his hands. expect you see how this difference between Pantheists and Christians hangs together with the other one. If you do not take the distinction between good and bad very seriously, then it is easy to say that anything you find in this world is a part of God. But, of course, if you think some things really bad, and God really good, then you cannot talk like that. You must believe that God is separate from the world and that some of the things we see in it are contrary to His will. Confronted with a cancer or a slum the Pantheist can say, "If you could only see it from the divine point of view, you would realise that this also is God." The Christian replies, "Don't talk damned nonsense." For Christianity is a fighting religion. It thinks God made the world — that space and time, heat and cold, and all the colours and tastes, and all the animals and vegetables, are things that God "made up out of His head" as a man makes up a story. But it also thinks that a great many things have gone wrong with the world that God made and that God insists, and insists very loudly, on our putting them right again. And, of course, that raises a very big question. If a good God made the world why has it gone wrong? And for many years I simply refused to listen to the Christian answers to this question, because I kept on feeling "whatever you say, and however clever your arguments are, isn't it much simpler and easier to say that the world was not made by any intelligent power? Aren't all your arguments simply a complicated attempt to avoid the obvious?" But then that threw me back into another difficulty. My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? If the whole show was bad and senseless from A to Z, so to speak, why did I, who was supposed to be part of the show, find myself in such violent reaction against it? A man feels wet when he falls into water, because man is not a water animal: a fish would not feel wet. Of course I could have given up my idea of justice by saying it was nothing but a private idea of my own. But if I did that, then my argument against God collapsed too — for the argument depended on saying that the world was really unjust, not simply that it did not happen to please my private fancies. Thus in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist — in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless — I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality — namely my idea of justice — was full of sense. Consequently atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.

The Christian view that this is a good world that has gone wrong.

The difference between Christianity and Dualism is that Christianity thinks this Dark Power was created by God, and was good when he was created, and went wrong. Christianity agrees with Dualism that this universe is at war. But it does not think this is a war between independent powers. It thinks it is a civil war, a rebellion, and that we are living in a part of the universe occupied by the rebel.

Enemy-occupied territory — that is what this world is. Christianity is the story of how the rightful king has landed, you might say landed in disguise, and is calling us all to take part in a great campaign of sabotage. When you go to church you are really listening — in to the secret wireless from our friends: that is why the enemy is so anxious to prevent us from going. He does it by playing on our conceit and laziness and intellectual snobbery.

Take this sword and fight the enemy.

"Take from my hand this cup of fiery wine and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. When they have drunk it they will vomit and go mad; such is the sword that I am sending among them." Jeremiah 25:15

:wine:

^ This is describing that we are in a civil war between the forces of good and the forces of evil.

:dance:

The reason to believe is that our universe with it's beauty and complexity in it is here. We humans have intuition, so we all intuitively know that God exists. However, there are those who go against God and declare that he does not exist because he cannot be proved to exist. Thus, they have accepted a lie and take the position that our universe with its beauty and complexity came about due to physical or materialistic reasons. They systematically have eliminated the existence of a spirit, but only a spirit can exist outside of our material world and be timeless and spaceless and be powerful enough to create that we have. Thus, the believers start with God's existence. As for what I believe, it's based on the discovery of the Bible and after reading it have found that it can be validated and science can back it up.

Your post already shows that you are going off on the wrong track and deny your own intuition for what is called "rational" thinking and secular or atheist science today. Hopefully, you'll be able to believe first one day. That would be the rational position to take.

"Take from my hand this cup of fiery wine and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. When they have drunk it they will vomit and go mad; such is the sword that I am sending among them." Jeremiah 25:15

:wine:

^ This is describing that we are in a civil war between the forces of good and the forces of evil.

:dance:

Either that or whoever made the wine doesn't know what they are doing.

The reason to believe is that our universe with it's beauty and complexity in it is here. We humans have intuition, so we all intuitively know that God exists. However, there are those who go against God and declare that he does not exist because he cannot be proved to exist. Thus, they have accepted a lie and take the position that our universe with its beauty and complexity came about due to physical or materialistic reasons. They systematically have eliminated the existence of a spirit, but only a spirit can exist outside of our material world and be timeless and spaceless and be powerful enough to create that we have. Thus, the believers start with God's existence. As for what I believe, it's based on the discovery of the Bible and after reading it have found that it can be validated and science can back it up.

Your post already shows that you are going off on the wrong track and deny your own intuition for what is called "rational" thinking and secular or atheist science today. Hopefully, you'll be able to believe first one day. That would be the rational position to take.

The universe is indeed a beautiful place, but that is no reason to believe a god created it. If a god did create it, how do you determine WHICH god made it? Is there any reason to choose one over another? Your own claim is that you have to choose with nothing to base your choice on. That puts you back to drawing a random god out of a hat to dedicate your life to. Seems like it might be a more important decision than that.

The universe is indeed a beautiful place, but that is no reason to believe a god created it. If a god did create it, how do you determine WHICH god made it? Is there any reason to choose one over another? Your own claim is that you have to choose with nothing to base your choice on. That puts you back to drawing a random god out of a hat to dedicate your life to. Seems like it might be a more important decision than that.

The which God argument is an argument of desperation.

If you say so. Have you got a logical answer for it? Which god would seem to be an important decision. The wrong choice would damn you to hell. With nothing to differentiate between them all, how do you make that choice?

If you say so. Have you got a logical answer for it? Which god would seem to be an important decision. The wrong choice would damn you to hell. With nothing to differentiate between them all, how do you make that choice?
There’s only one creator. What name you call him or how you choose to worship him does not matter in the least.

The power of faith is unleashed regardless of the form of religion.

There’s only one creator. What name you call him or how you choose to worship him does not matter in the least.

Really? If the particular religion doesn't matter, that throws that whole accepting Jesus thing out the window, doesn't it? Is being Muslim or Christian equally acceptable? They share a lot of holy figures.

Really? If the particular religion doesn't matter, that throws that whole accepting Jesus thing out the window, doesn't it? Is being Muslim or Christian equally acceptable? They share a lot of holy figures.
You should read Mere Christianity. We don’t have to disagree with everything. But putting that aside our nation was founded on the principle I am discussing.

See God anyway you want. It is literally no skin off my teeth. Why should it be?

You should read Mere Christianity. We don’t have to disagree with everything. But putting that aside our nation was founded on the principle I am discussing.

See God anyway you want. It is literally no skin off my teeth. Why should it be?

I don't care what, if any religion a person might believe, but I have a problem when they start modifying our laws to fit their particular flavor of religion, The right wing effort to stuff our Supreme Court with Christian favorable judges is a good example of that. That is not what our country was founded on.

I don't care what, if any religion a person might believe, but I have a problem when they start modifying our laws to fit their particular flavor of religion, The right wing effort to stuff our Supreme Court with Christian favorable judges is a good example of that. That is not what our country was founded on.
So religious people should be barred from participating in the secular process?

Exactly which religious laws have they tried to pass to force you to practice a religion?

If God loves us unconditionally, why does he kill us instead of curing us?

Jesus, Yahweh to some, said he came to serve us and not to have us serve him. That is what I describe as unconditional love.

Yahweh, on the other hand, seems to put a condition of us serving him on his love. If we do not love Yahweh, off to hell we go.

I call that a condition to his love, which is negated when he tortures us in hell, then kills us in hell’s second death.

This appears to be a huge contradiction in the Christian ideology.

Is Yahweh’s love unconditional to you, or is our having to love him back and serve him a condition?

Am I bound for hell because I cannot love or serve a genocidal demiurge like Jesus or Yahweh?

Is Jesus showing unconditional love for us when he kills us instead of curing us?

Regards
DL

that only happens in Nexus Six with Zardoz and the incorrigible, Original Sinners.

They should be barred from taking steps to turn our system into a theocracy.

They should be barred from taking steps to turn our system into a theocracy.
And which steps are those?

Forum List

Back