If The Economy Is So Great Why Can't Most People Miss One Paycheck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most live paycheck to paycheck because they don't make enough to save and corporate wages aren't spectacular for most. The system dictates most will have to live paycheck to paycheck.

Okay, so how does the lowly fast food worker manage to survive off $18,000 a year if $60,000 a year isn't enough to save money on a regular basis?

Dont work in fast food.

I wonder why the left thinks a person wants a career at a fast food job.

Actually some do.

I rented an apartment to a young couple who both worked fast food jobs. They kept those jobs for all seven years they lived here. Why didn't they pursue something that might pay a living wage? Because both smoked pot, and better paying jobs drug test.

So I think part of the problem we have today is younger people don't want to sacrifice their drugs for better work. Instead, cry to some Democrat politician insisting on a higher minimum wage. Of course if we did that, then these people would never get the inclination to stop doping up and take life a little more seriously.

Most live paycheck to paycheck because they don't make enough to save and corporate wages aren't spectacular for most. The system dictates most will have to live paycheck to paycheck.

Okay, so how does the lowly fast food worker manage to survive off $18,000 a year if $60,000 a year isn't enough to save money on a regular basis?

Dont work in fast food.

Actually some do.

I rented an apartment to a young couple who both worked fast food jobs. They kept those jobs for all seven years they lived here. Why didn't they pursue something that might pay a living wage? Because both smoked pot, and better paying jobs drug test.

So I think part of the problem we have today is younger people don't want to sacrifice their drugs for better work. Instead, cry to some Democrat politician insisting on a higher minimum wage. Of course if we did that, then these people would never get the inclination to stop doping up and take life a little more seriously.

I bet they had some help from the government as well.

That’s your narrative. That slow steady recovery didn’t add to the debt massively either. Trumps moves caused a very temporary bump. I’ll admit so far nothing bad has happened and companies are coming back and all that. So far so good. I saw it befor3 with Reagan.

Don’t forget it was Bush’s Great Recession

Going from $10 TRILLION to $20 TRILLION in debt isn't "add to the debt massively either"? Really?

The policies of former President Ronald Reagan led to a quarter of a century of economic growth.

I see you still refuse to accept the facts concerning the housing/mortgage/financial meltdown. Why?
The meltdown all happened on purpose. The rich got richer. Everything was over priced and everyone had too much money so they tanked the market and half your portfolio went bye bye. Then they bought low.

It’ll happen again. And the bankers will get bailed out again.

The amount of money wasted on luxury items today is stunning. OLED TV, iPhone, $300 per month cable TV/internet packages. I know a family of 3 that says it tough to spend less that $1500 per month on groceries. $1000 per month student loans for degrees that provide no specific skill or job training. It goes on and on. 10 minutes of scrolling through facebook should provide all the answers needed for this question.

Dont work in fast food.

Actually some do.

I don't know about that; certainly not with rent. I refuse to do business with Section 8 people. But they drove their beat up old car, had to replace the bald tires once a month or so, a few times her father came over to do some repairs on the vehicle, and yes, they were a couple days late with rent every month, but otherwise pretty good tenants.

I think we have a major problem between drugs and employment in this country. My father made a pretty good living being a bricklayer. In fact he's 87 years old and still getting his pension. But his union couldn't replace the retired bricklayers. Granted, it is very hard work, but it also pays very good money. Sure, people would come in for the job, but when they found out drug testing was involved, they walked right back out the door.

My opinion is we have two major problems that are stopping people from bettering themselves. One is drugs, and the other is social programs. We pay people not to work.

Dont work in fast food.

Actually some do.

I don't know about that; certainly not with rent. I refuse to do business with Section 8 people. But they drove their beat up old car, had to replace the bald tires once a month or so, a few times her father came over to do some repairs on the vehicle, and yes, they were a couple days late with rent every month, but otherwise pretty good tenants.

I think we have a major problem between drugs and employment in this country. My father made a pretty good living being a bricklayer. In fact he's 87 years old and still getting his pension. But his union couldn't replace the retired bricklayers. Granted, it is very hard work, but it also pays very good money. Sure, people would come in for the job, but when they found out drug testing was involved, they walked right back out the door.

My opinion is we have two major problems that are stopping people from bettering themselves. One is drugs, and the other is social programs. We pay people not to work.

Do you think welfare recipients should take a drug test?

The amount of money wasted on luxury items today is stunning. OLED TV, iPhone, $300 per month cable TV/internet packages. I know a family of 3 that says it tough to spend less that $1500 per month on groceries. $1000 per month student loans for degrees that provide no specific skill or job training. It goes on and on. 10 minutes of scrolling through facebook should provide all the answers needed for this question.

My father and I were having this discussion not too long ago. He laughs that we pay more for our family cell phone plan than he paid for the mortgage in the house we grew up in. It's the truth too because his mortgage at the time was $160.00 a month.

Dont work in fast food.

Actually some do.

I do. Why not? If we working people have to take drug tests, why shouldn't the people that live off the money working people make?

Actually some do.

I do. Why not? If we working people have to take drug tests, why shouldn't the people that live off the money working people make?

We are in agreement then.

Actually some do.

IMO we either all take drug tests or we all don't. I hate when my name gets pulled up for a drug test. It's a pain in the ass because my employer by law is not allowed to tell us ahead of time when we got called. And it always seems I just went to the bathroom before I found out I had to go.

Most police officers are not required for those tests, neither are teachers, neither are our politicians. I wonder how many people would keep those jobs if drug testing was a requirement.

My father and I were having this discussion not too long ago. He laughs that we pay more for our family cell phone plan than he paid for the mortgage in the house we grew up in. It's the truth too because his mortgage at the time was $160.00 a month.
People couldn’t believe my mortgage was like $400 a month. Now that I don’t have a mortgage I still pay $200 a month in association dues.

I heard that. I will admit to my cable bill being kinda hefty, but that's actually because my husband works from home and requires an extra-fast, hardwired connection to do his job. If it wasn't slightly cheaper to get that connection in a bundle with TV than as a stand-alone, we wouldn't bother having cable TV at all. And we definitely do not have a huge, top-line TV to watch it on. It certainly is NOT $300 a month.

For a family of 3 adults and 1 growing boy (and two cats and a dog), we spend $100-150 a week for all grocery shopping including toiletries, pet food, and the occasional kitchen essentials like sammich bags and tinfoil. I clip coupons (digitally, these days) and sale-shop like a mad fiend, and I make nearly everything from scratch or near-scratch. I have discovered that I can feed my family for a week with no shopping just on the basic stuff my mom taught me to stock the kitchen with. I was stunned when I first realized that most people don't routinely keep things like flour, baking powder, and canned milk on hand at all times.

The economy is only doing well if you are in the top 10%. For everybody else, not so much.

Aw bullshit. I'm doing fine, I have money. And a lot of other people are in the same boat.

Every time I turn on the radio, they are talking about stocks, trying to get people to move their money from one brokerage to another.

Some people are just really good at poor-talking, making it sound like they are down to their last dime.

I heard that. I will admit to my cable bill being kinda hefty, but that's actually because my husband works from home and requires an extra-fast, hardwired connection to do his job. If it wasn't slightly cheaper to get that connection in a bundle with TV than as a stand-alone, we wouldn't bother having cable TV at all. And we definitely do not have a huge, top-line TV to watch it on. It certainly is NOT $300 a month.

For a family of 3 adults and 1 growing boy (and two cats and a dog), we spend $100-150 a week for all grocery shopping including toiletries, pet food, and the occasional kitchen essentials like sammich bags and tinfoil. I clip coupons (digitally, these days) and sale-shop like a mad fiend, and I make nearly everything from scratch or near-scratch. I have discovered that I can feed my family for a week with no shopping just on the basic stuff my mom taught me to stock the kitchen with. I was stunned when I first realized that most people don't routinely keep things like flour, baking powder, and canned milk on hand at all times.
My dad grew up in hard times. He’s an extreme shopper and saver. One day he said he wouldn’t have been so cheap if his contract wasn’t up every four years. He worried what if he lost his job. He said if He was a real ford uaw worker who didn’t worry because they had guaranteed pensions, he wouldn’t have been so frugal.

Then he goes on and on why he can’t stand it that my brother who makes $500k a year doesn’t cut coupons. Lol

The economy is only doing well if you are in the top 10%. For everybody else, not so much.

Aw bullshit. I'm doing fine, I have money. And a lot of other people are in the same boat.

Every time I turn on the radio, they are talking about stocks, trying to get people to move their money from one brokerage to another.

Some people are just really good at poor-talking, making it sound like they are down to their last dime.

Limbaugh was talking about that today. He said isn't it strange now that these government people are back to work, and still not going to receive a paycheck for a little while, how all of the food pantry stories disappeared, how all of the hardship stories disappeared? Did they give them their paychecks as soon as they walked into the door?

People couldn’t believe my mortgage was like $400 a month. Now that I don’t have a mortgage I still pay $200 a month in association dues.

Now that is something I would never stand for. My sister just bought a townhouse and is stuck doing the same. Last major snowfall we had, she was stuck at home because they didn't plow the streets or her driveway that the association fee covered. When she lived in her old house, she hired a plow guy that was Johnny on the spot every snowfall and the city would make sure the streets were passible.

IMO we either all take drug tests or we all don't. I hate when my name gets pulled up for a drug test. It's a pain in the ass because my employer by law is not allowed to tell us ahead of time when we got called. And it always seems I just went to the bathroom before I found out I had to go.

Most police officers are not required for those tests, neither are teachers, neither are our politicians. I wonder how many people would keep those jobs if drug testing was a requirement.

I actually don't even remember the last job I had that didn't require drug testing, because I give so little thought and attention to being drug tested. It is at best a momentary blip on my radar. I can't even imagine having to plan my life around such a thing. Sounds tiresome. My current employer doesn't do it once you're hired, but that's because we all work closely together in small offices, and being high would be really obvious.

That’s your narrative. That slow steady recovery didn’t add to the debt massively either. Trumps moves caused a very temporary bump. I’ll admit so far nothing bad has happened and companies are coming back and all that. So far so good. I saw it befor3 with Reagan.

Don’t forget it was Bush’s Great Recession

Going from $10 TRILLION to $20 TRILLION in debt isn't "add to the debt massively either"? Really?

The policies of former President Ronald Reagan led to a quarter of a century of economic growth.

I see you still refuse to accept the facts concerning the housing/mortgage/financial meltdown. Why?
The meltdown all happened on purpose. The rich got richer. Everything was over priced and everyone had too much money so they tanked the market and half your portfolio went bye bye. Then they bought low.

The meltdown all happened on purpose. The rich got richer.

You're talking out of your ass again.

The bankers lost trillions. The bailout made hundreds of billions in profit for the US Treasury.

Limbaugh was talking about that today. He said isn't it strange now that these government people are back to work, and still not going to receive a paycheck for a little while, how all of the food pantry stories disappeared, how all of the hardship stories disappeared? Did they give them their paychecks as soon as they walked into the door?

The one's I have talked to said they would have been told they would have their back pay by Thursday at the latest. I know an Admin Tech for the USDA and she spent her Saturday doing payroll for her whole office to get it submitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back