If this is true, we are in trouble...

Ray you are correct. Thats why smart workers are ready to walk off the job at a whims notice. No longer should a worker show one ounce of loyalty or dedication to a business. Those days are over. No more two weeks notice. that should be against the law even asking a worker for 2 weeks.

You can do anything you want. But when you can't find a job because of bad references, only blame yourself.

That's the employers fault. Those are rotten jobs. If they were good people would fill them. No pity for the company. PoirlyPrun outfits have a hard time finding workers.

I'm retired. Don't miss the god awful pathetic rat race one bit. Been retired for 22 years now. It surely beats working. My job now is to run a 10 k every other day. At age 84 I am on no meds. That's my job now.

I'm glad I'll be off this planet by then; at least out of the workforce. I wouldn't want to be a person in the future with no aptitude to earn a higher education and try to make it on manual labor alone.

Millennials earn 20% less than Babyboomers did at the same age, Millennials have a net-worth 50% less than Babyboomers did at the same age.
(Of course adjusting for inflation AKA Real Wages)

This is startling, and shows the system that we have isn't working.

That can be attributed to a lot of things. For instance perhaps you read the conversation between Manonthestreet and I. Right now our industry needs over 30,000 more drivers that they can't find. They are turning to foreigners to take these jobs Americans won't do. And I can tell you some of those are pretty good paying jobs if you're willing to do the work.

So I think attitude has something to do with it as well. As a baby boomer myself, I can testify several times I had more than one job, or a job that I worked on Saturday as well. At one time I had three jobs. I'm no hero because several of my friends did the same thing. In fact one very close friend works at the company I do. He's been working two full-time jobs for over 30 years now.

You don't see that kind of effort to get ahead out of the millennials as you did in our generation. When we were younger all we thought about was money. How to make more, how to get a better job, work or hours was no hurdle for us.

The trucking industry has always been short of drivers because of the job itself. It's being exacerbated now because with ELD's (electronic logging devices) making it difficult, if not impossible, to cheat on HOS by playing logbook roulette.

The other two factors are detainment at shippers and/or receivers and receiving pay for the load.

In my mind, drivers that are detained should receive a $100.00 comm check after two hours of detainment for each hour and part of an hour of detainment.

Pay should be within 24 hours of a load. Factoring should be illegal.

Actually the problem with trucking is being away from home all the time and government. Government makes it harder and harder for us to make a living because truck drivers are not entitled to constitutional rights. So we are constantly getting pulled over, searched, inspected, and then handed a warning or even a ticket for stupid shit that doesn't mean anything. It's called quotas.

I'm a local driver so I'm home every night, but OTR guys have to tolerate these assholes almost every week. Now instead of having DOT (Department of Transportation) police hassling you, they are training state troopers to do the job because only a trooper can issue a ticket. DOT guys can only give you a warning. Now they are all over the place, and the more of them you have, the more you are likely to get pulled over. When I first started out over 25 years ago, you'd run across a DOT guy once every month. Now you come across 10 or more a day.

If you want to ruin a good thing, just get more government involved.

Most drivers do get layover time after one hour.

What do you think the sentence "The trucking industry has always been short of drivers because of the job itself." means?

Every vehicle in the "Great State" of Texas has to be inspected. Not California, nor Nevada, nor the majority of States. So that means (according to you) living in Texas means you have less "constitutional rights?"

Most truck drivers DO NOT get detention pay.

So sitting home watching TV all day, you think you know more about the industry I spent 30 years in than I do?

I'll start off by saying you are FOS. Because trucking is heavily regulated by the federal government--not states. In fact, state laws don't apply to trucking because the feds overrule state laws.

ALL TRUCKS have to pass an annual DOT inspection by federal requirements. Even if you want to make a phony claim that some states are exempt, they wouldn't even be able to leave the state unless they have that sticker stating the vehicles were inspected and passed DOT standards.

The Federal DOT has the legal right to stop any vehicle within their jurisdiction. In other words, all CDL vehicles are subject to those inspections regardless of what state you are in.

The CDL license is a federal license--not state. That stopped when they started CDL's which replaced the state Chauffeurs License. The reason for that was because of safety. Drivers used to get a license in every state they operated. They would rack up points in each state, and if they reached their limit in on particular state, they simply avoided driving there. Truckers used to drive like maniacs. Now they can't because they only have one license--a federal license.

The reason corporations move jobs offshore is very simple. It is because they can.

Maybe 50 or 60 years ago they couldnt and so the Unions had more clout.

Its a war and one side is getting hammered.

The reason corporations move jobs offshore is very simple. It is because they can.

The USA has witnessed a massive exodus of jobs to Mexico, China, and elsewhere, over the past 30-40 years. Why? Because labor costs are much cheaper and the senior managers of these companies are driven to increase profits.

The corrupt US government supported this effort and did nothing to protect American jobs. Unlike many other nations, who do protect their workers, the US government chose to protect the wealthy owners of big business. Typical.

One of the reasons Trump won, is he spoke to this injustice and won the votes of many working class Americans, who had traditionally voted Democrat.

Time will tell if he is successful in stopping this injustice.

I don’t know about a failure. You can be anybody you want on the internet. But I do know he is a Surrender First self-hating white with a severe case of OCD that he refuses to address.

Naw, man, I just don't pretend that the rich asshole who is out to screw me is my friend because he has the same skin tone.

Unlike you, I know who my real enemy is.

I ealkedwoff 3 jobs in my heyday. Best 3 days of my life. Not even a phone call. Just didnt show up. I didn't owe the boss anything more than a decent days work.
/——-/ “ealkedwoff”. My guess those jobs you walked off were not as a proofreader.

/----/ Black or White, don't give your kids weird made up names, especially #8. You only handicap them for life.

Stormfront Called.. They say your sheets are ready to be picked up at the cleaners.
/——-/ Those are actual names given to Black kids. Do you deny it?

Reminds me of when my neighborhood started to turn black.

I always listen to my police scanner. Back in the day, the police used to call out the first name and spell the last over the radio. "Tom, first name common spelling. Last name, K-R-O-J-I-N-S-K-I.

After blacks started to move in, they would spell the first name and just call out the last. Yoshanna Jones. :21:

You can do anything you want. But when you can't find a job because of bad references, only blame yourself.

again, says the guy who can't get insurance and won't find a job that pays better or offers it.

From a guy so obsessed over another persons life (that he never met before) it hounds him day and night, but refuses to get help for his OCD.

Thanks to that big-eared Commie, I can't find a job offering insurance anymore. But the phone book is loaded with psychiatrists.

I don’t know about a failure. You can be anybody you want on the internet. But I do know he is a Surrender First self-hating white with a severe case of OCD that he refuses to address.

Naw, man, I just don't pretend that the rich asshole who is out to screw me is my friend because he has the same skin tone.

Unlike you, I know who my real enemy is.

Yeah, it's called your shadow.

Walking off a job is empowering and gratifying. I remember the day I was supposed to catch a flight to the east coast during the holidays. I had already secured a better job behind my boss back. I never got on that flight. The company no longer deserved my services. I had only been there for 3 months and had just completed some useless training. BuhBuhBbye. Great day that was.

That's one of the reasons. The other is our wages were much closer to people who earned money overseas. Travel was dangerous because we didn't have satellites telling us where storms were. Communications were primitive and company meetings had to be held in person.

Today companies meet over the internet. A President of a company can run it from his cell phone sitting on his toilet and still track his investments up to the second.

Todays employers have never had an easier time finding large numbers of over qualified highly productive workers. If they are having any difficulties finding them then the fault lies 100 percent on the company. They are a bad place to work and iIwould hope they continue to struggle until they make the job worthwhile.

/——/ 50 years ago my hometown of Greenville SC was the textile center of the world now those factories are ghost towns because they moved to the Pacific Rim thanks to tax, labor and environmental laws passed by democRATs

Forum List

Back