Zone1 If welfare recipients are buying expensive toys, is that a sign we are giving too much free stuff?

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
Background to put this discussion in perspective:

I know a young woman with four children - no husband, and different fathers - and I buy birthday gifts for each one, since I know money is tight and she is on public assistance. I told her I would have a gift for her son next week, and she suggested a toy I can buy him (he’s 6).

I went to the Walmart, and I found the toy - with about six different versions - ranging in price from $80 to $120 (for the super-deluxe). I opted for a similar type of toy that I think he will like (because I give to her other three and don’t want to set a high bar going forward), but I noticed the obviously low-income people around me grabbing these expensive toys off the shelf. It is a fair assumption that most are on some sort of welfare.

So….the question is: since we give these people food stamps, free health care, subsidized rent, and even cash, is it safe to think that maybe it’s TOO much since they are buying stuff that the self-supporting people cannot afford themselves?

I know a young woman with four children - no husband, and different fathers - and I buy birthday gifts for each one, since I know money is tight and she is on public assistance. I told her I would have a gift for her son next week, and she suggested a toy I can buy him (he’s 6).

I went to the Walmart, and I found the toy - with about six different versions - ranging in price from $80 to $120 (for the super-deluxe). I opted for a similar type of toy that I think he will like (because I give to her other three and don’t want to set a high bar going forward), but I noticed the obviously low-income people around me grabbing these expensive toys off the shelf. It is a fair assumption that most are on some sort of welfare.

So….the question is: since we give these people food stamps, free health care, subsidized rent, and even cash, is it safe to think that maybe it’s TOO much since they are buying stuff that the self-supporting people cannot afford themselves?

They do.

You can’t buy a lot of things on food stamps.

PS: You’re not giving them anything.

I know a poor family.
Their kids wear Rolex Watches, diamond necklaces, eat caviar and lobster and have designer clothes

I think we give our poor people too much

If it was up to me, they would live in tents, eat Road Kill and have to work sweeping our streets with tooth brushes.

That would build character

I know a poor family.
Their kids wear Rolex Watches, diamond necklaces, eat caviar and lobster and have designer clothes

I think we give our poor people too much

If it was up to me, they would live in tents, eat Road Kill and have to work sweeping our streets with tooth brushes.

That would build character
Sarcasm. What libsters do when they can’t respond to the obvious question:

if welfare recipients are buying $100 toys for their first-graders, is that a sign we are giving them more free money than necessary? After all, WE are the ones paying for it, so it’s a fair question.

if welfare recipients are buying $100 toys for their first-graders, is that a sign we are giving them more free money than necessary? After all, WE are the ones paying for it, so it’s a fair question.
Its likely you’re not the one paying for it.

So it’s an improper foundation to a thinly veiled attack on entitlements.

This is just another of your threads that demonstrate what a callous, insensitive hater you are.
While in most of your threads, you spread hatred against minorities, gays and immigrants, in this one you seek to spread hatred against poor people
It demonstrates your own ignorance and hatred of those who are struggling in life.

Your OP is obviously made up

Last edited:
This is just another of your threads that demonstrate what a callous, insensitive hater you are.
While in most of your threads, you spread hatred against minorities, gays and immigrants, in this one you seek to spread hatred against poor people
It demonstrates your own ignorance and hatred of those who are struggling in life.
Nothing insensitive about suggesting that people on welfare should not be able to afford $100 toys that the working class cannot - and whether they are being given too much of other people’s money (the other people who, I might add, cannot afford to buy $100 toys).

Here, I’ll simplify:

Welfare family: can afford $100 toys for their children
Working class family: cannot, and has to stick with the clearance aisle, while also paying taxes to give to the welfare family

Something is very unfair with this picture.

Why is it a "fair assumption most are on welfare"?

IMHO it's a way of dealing with the OP's self-loathing. Denigrating the "other" make some people feel less bad about themselves for a while.

communism.jpg

Welfare comes from tax $$$ moron. I am a taxpayer. My money is being given to them. Wake up.
Maybe if you’re in the same state. What do you think happens to the stuff they buy...is it taxed as well? Here is the part to where you swear it’s not or try to minimize the taxes they pay as if your border is (giggle) so much greater.

They do.

You can’t buy a lot of things on food stamps.

PS: You’re not giving them anything.
No more liquor or strip joints:
"Welfare recipients took out cash at bars, liquor stores, X-rated video shops, hookah parlors and even strip clubs — where they presumably spent their taxpayer money on lap dances rather than diapers," a Post investigation found.

but I noticed the obviously low-income people around me grabbing these expensive toys off the shelf. It is a fair assumption that most are on some sort of welfare.

Looks like you are lying to beef up your fable about poor people having it too good

No more liquor or strip joints:
"Welfare recipients took out cash at bars, liquor stores, X-rated video shops, hookah parlors and even strip clubs — where they presumably spent their taxpayer money on lap dances rather than diapers," a Post investigation found.
Back when I did public sector for the health department down in Texas, Many used to sell their Enfamil, Pedialyte, and breast pumps we gave them on Craigslist for cash. Often times with inventory control stickers that I placed on the packages still there.

You can't legislate good sense. If these people had it they might not be on welfare in the first place.

Nothing insensitive about suggesting that people on welfare should not be able to afford $100 toys that the working class cannot - and whether they are being given too much of other people’s money (the other people who, I might add, cannot afford to buy $100 toys).

Here, I’ll simplify:

Welfare family: can afford $100 toys for their children
Working class family: cannot, and has to stick with the clearance aisle, while also paying taxes to give to the welfare family

Something is very unfair with this picture.
That's for us to determine. Yes it's insensitive. Those kids may not even know that they are poor but someone is gonna begrudge them a toy. I remember when I was a kid. We had ONE toy, and it was a STICK. That's right. A stick. Like dogs.

Forum List

Back