I’m voting for a person, not a party

Grogu

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2023
I’m voting for a person, not a political party

I’m tired as I write this. It’s been another long day at work. Some days, I feel like a slave doing shift work five days a week; other days, I’m just grateful to have a job. I want to work very badly; I made up my mind about that long ago. As someone who has a severe disability, I firmly believe that if I can work, anyone can. It’s been almost ten years, that I have been with my current company and I never want to leave. Not only do they offer great retirement investment opportunities, but they treat me right. Above all, I meet and interact with many fantastic people each day. Talking to others is part of my job. I probably speak with as many as two hundred folks a day. I don’t have to work, mind you - family is rich. They would take care of me, if necessary. I choose to work, because it’s all about making a difference in the community. I love my job, even on days like this - when I feel like I could sleep for two weeks straight. By grit, grace, sweat and a little luck, I have clawed my way to a respectable place in my community and society. I go to church every Sunday and thank the Lord, because I must remember to be grateful. It’s not about me; it’s about serving Jesus. Even though I am disabled, my disability has nothing to do with the individual I have become. I’m proud of where I am and want everyone out there who struggles to have the same opportunities I have had. I take nothing for granted these days. Furthermore, I firmly believe anyone can overcome their struggles, if given a chance. In the past two presidential elections, I have voted for Donald Trump. He sold me on making America great again - on us all doing our part. I had voted for Bush, McCain and Romney. Why stop, or leave the party? That was my reasoning. Around the time Trump began to rise, I went out and got a job. Trump was magnetic, powerfully articulate and spoke to me. Ten years later, here I am, still employed there. I sometimes feel like Trump saved my life. After all, had I bought into the Democrats’ typical spiel, I might have become a permanent basement dweller - living on social security, with no Hope or future.

Fast forward to the present. In the past ten years, I’ve spoken with many people at my job and gotten to know them. Trump supporters and Democrats, disabled vs. able bodied, young people vs. old. Black and white people, Immigrants vs. natural born citizens. You know what the common thread I see is? Everyone out there is struggling in some way and all have something in common. America is hurting right now and this is probably the most critical election we have ever seen - at least in modern times. I’m not here to build anyone up or tear anyone down anymore. Both major party’s candidates seem to be doing a great job of that themselves. If anything, I may go listen to “Rich Men North of Richmond” for the umpteenth time, after I post this. That song sums up my struggles and is an excellent theme for all who struggle.

I’m here to urge you to vote for the best person, not necessarily along party lines. A person, not a party - I’m committed to doing just that this year.

Thanks so much for reading.

To each their own. As for myself, I don't see a popularity contest based on the candidates a better means of voting than through comparison of the party's platforms.

I'm voting for people in a party whose policies are in my best interest.

Forum List

Back