In only 10% of counties in the US can a worker afford a 2 bedroom apartment working 40 hours a week

Who are we protecting? Landlords or tenants?

It's not the job of the government to protect either. The market does that.

Two people entering into a strictly voluntary agreement that exchanges use of property for money isn't the concern of government.

If either side violates, or is believed to have violated, that agreement, it's up to the courts to decide if redress is required. That should the extend of the state's involvement.
So landlords should be free to discriminate against any tenant for no good reason? Landlords should be free to collide on rents, lease conditions and residency requirements with no in put from representative governments. No health and safety regulations are needed because the landlords who are actually slumlords should have a free hand. What about rent subsidy vouchers? Should the voucher issuing authority not inspect subsidized units?

'A national problem': U.S. housing affordability is out of whack with minimum wage

Obviously this should bother republican voters, but they have this fantasy mindset that Trump will turn this country into some kind of utopia despite the fact that he had two years to do so with a republican Congress. Their only response when presented with this is the usual pathetic deflection of “well Obama didn’t do it! Derp, derp, derp!”

Now granted Obama achieved little in improving the lives of the middle class and poor besides a few policies. These policies include 1) helping to reverse the Great Recession he inherited from Bush 6 months into his presidency and producing job growth EVER SINCE. 2) Expanding OT pay eligibility for thousands of US workers 3) guaranteeing people receive healthcare from pre-existing conditions, 4) passing the biggest middle class tax cut since Reagan

He also TRIED to invest education and raise the minimum wage but was blocked by republicans.

The point I am making is that republicans do fucking NOTHING to help the poor and middle class but democrats at least make an attempt despite failing on a significant scale. This nuance matters whether you like it or not.
/—-/ This is just plain racist and homophobic. Minimum wage should allow a worker bee to live in Malibu at the very least.
Lol what the fuck?

Two people entering into a strictly voluntary agreement that exchanges use of property for money isn't the concern of government.

If either side violates, or is believed to have violated, that agreement, it's up to the courts to decide if redress is required. That should the extend of the state's involvement.
So landlords should be free to discriminate against any tenant for no good reason? Landlords should be free to collide on rents, lease conditions and residency requirements with no in put from representative governments. No health and safety regulations are needed because the landlords who are actually slumlords should have a free hand. What about rent subsidy vouchers? Should the voucher issuing authority not inspect subsidized units?

I see that you prefer fascism to free markets.

So free markets without any laws whatsoever is your ultimate goal huh? How do you think that would work out? If the answer is no, then how about you tell us how much government we should have?

So free markets without any laws whatsoever is your ultimate goal huh? How do you think that would work out? If the answer is no, then how about you tell us how much government we should have?

Aren't you old enough to be weaned?

To be fair, rentors discriminate all the time based on credit / rental history / pets / children / job status / marital status, etc. However, if you're speaking about racial or religious discrimination, then the civil courts can decide that matter and it's covered by tort law.

Collusion (collision?) also occurs, rental prices generally follow the market for similar locations. If the market will bear a certain price, a rentor would be a fool not to charge the highest price the market will sustain. No collusion or cabal of rentors can force prices above what the market will bear for a certain location and only a government can hold prices artificially below a market -- which usually leads to the detriment of the housing market.

No one rents a place sight unseen. If a rentee believes a property to be unsafe or unsanitary, why did they enter into the rental agreement in the first place? Unless they have been assigned housing by the state, no one lives in a slum involuntarily. If a place become unsanitary after an agreement has been signed and it's not the fault of the rentee, a court can decide the redress.

You might have guessed, I'm against any form of taxpayer funded rental subsidy. Someone else's inability to buy weed and pay rent isn't my responsibility as a taxpayer.

However, if a rentor is willing to accept taxpayer money for the rent then they have already entered into an agreement with the state (in effect, the state is a rentee of the property just the same as the actual tenant) and has agree to give the state the same access rights as the tenant.

'A national problem': U.S. housing affordability is out of whack with minimum wage

Obviously this should bother republican voters, but they have this fantasy mindset that Trump will turn this country into some kind of utopia despite the fact that he had two years to do so with a republican Congress. Their only response when presented with this is the usual pathetic deflection of “well Obama didn’t do it! Derp, derp, derp!”

Now granted Obama achieved little in improving the lives of the middle class and poor besides a few policies. These policies include 1) helping to reverse the Great Recession he inherited from Bush 6 months into his presidency and producing job growth EVER SINCE. 2) Expanding OT pay eligibility for thousands of US workers 3) guaranteeing people receive healthcare from pre-existing conditions, 4) passing the biggest middle class tax cut since Reagan

He also TRIED to invest education and raise the minimum wage but was blocked by republicans.

The point I am making is that republicans do fucking NOTHING to help the poor and middle class but democrats at least make an attempt despite failing on a significant scale. This nuance matters whether you like it or not.
One person doesn't need a 2 bedroom apartment

What do studio and efficiency apartments rent for?

And there's this newfangled idea I just heard of.

If you can't afford rent you can actually find a person to share an apartment with and they'll pay half the rent

I know it's fucking mind blowing isn't it?

Don't work for minimum wage... problem solved.
Well gee, that’s a brilliant solution. Okay so let’s pretend everyone did that despite such a thing being mathematically impossible. Who would be left behind to work those minimum wage jobs? I mean we are also talking about service jobs that pay more than minimum wage but still very much south of a live able wage.

Take a job, for a wage is, at least until Communism is installed in the US, a voluntary act.

There will always be those too lazy or unskilled to work for anything but the lowest wages. But, by agreeing to a wage that somehow doesn't provide you with enough weed or che t-shirts, you've lost the moral right to demand more.

If you aren't satisfied with your low wages, go do something else.

Otherwise, take what you agreed to take when you took the job and like it.
Okay you say this shit despite the statistic I quoted in my OP. Are ALL of those workers lazy with the exception of those in the 10% of counties?

Your contention is that 90% of US workers are on minimum wage?

That flies directly in the face of the fact there are only 2.2 million workers at or below the current, federally mandated minimum wage, less than 3% of the entire US labor force.

I'm still waiting for you to explain how anyone in this country is being forced to work for minimum wage.
God you are so dense. No I didn’t say that. I said that 90% of workers make a wage they can’t afford.

More importantly, what you are quoting is the FEDERAL minimum wage. This doesn’t include STATE minimum wages that are barely higher in many states are still way below the cost of living needs for a person working 40 hours a week..
You work your way out-its called upward mobility. Try personal responsibility for your life and stop blaming political parties for YOUR failure. And read different sources for data-the ones you have are flawed.

'

He also TRIED to...
He TRIED to take good used cars off the market. Cash for Clunkers! And succeeded!

Who did that fuck!?

It was a full frontal assault on the poor and lower middle classes. Obama and the Democrats were obviously trying to make jobs less available to certain classes of people.

In most parts of the USA, if you do not own reliable transportation, you are not eligible for a good job because you are less free than somebody who does own reliable transportation to go wherever the fuck they want whenever the fuck they want.

It was part of the keep the poor, poor program. Just a part of the OED (Obama Economic Depression) fuck Americans program.

Paying people to destroy material wealth is not sound economic policy.

Last edited:

A shift blame thread, that ends with the OP blaming others, interesting.

Vapid thread from one of our leading Trolls. He can't argue facts so he starts senseless threads. Impressive! :D

No, you really just don’t have any idea what you are talking about lol

Curious Billy000 just exactly what dollar amount do you start your employees at? Share your business expertise with us...
It wouldn’t matter if I owned a business and paid my employees $20 per hour. It wouldn’t somehow fix the actual problem at hand would it? Wages by and large would still be way behind on the rate of inflation.

Liar!

'

He also TRIED to...
He TRIED to take good used cars off the market. Cash for Clunkers! And succeeded!

Who did that fuck!?

It was a full frontal assault on the poor and lower middle classes. Obama and the Democrats were obviously trying to make jobs less available to certain classes of people.

In most parts of the USA, if you do not own reliable transportation, you are not eligible for a good job because you are less free than somebody who does own reliable transportation to go wherever the fuck they want whenever the fuck they want.

It was part of the keep the poor, poor program. Just a part of the OED (Obama Economic Depression) fuck Americans program.

Paying people to destroy material wealth is not sound economic policy.

I slept in my car for a while.

I made the decision to pay my car payments before my rent because I could sleep in my car but I couldn't drive my apartment to work

Last edited:
Well gee, that’s a brilliant solution. Okay so let’s pretend everyone did that despite such a thing being mathematically impossible. Who would be left behind to work those minimum wage jobs? I mean we are also talking about service jobs that pay more than minimum wage but still very much south of a live able wage.
I'm not sure I like where this is going, Billy, when you talk about a "livable" wage. What does make sense is being able to monitor abuse in rental rates, but it might be too late now. When I was a young adult, the rule of thumb was 25% of your take home income should be for rent/mortgage. Now people are routinely paying 50%. People who rent are usually the least affluent, and they get soaked the worst. That is why people are living on the streets and in their cars.

There has to be a clever way to let landlords make a profit and still offer housing that is not nose-bleed high. I'm not sure what that clever solution is, but it should not be raising wages until EVERYONE can afford a nice two bedroom apartment on their take home salary. Never happened, never gonna happen.

True.

Republicans not only do nothing, but they couldn’t care less about the housing crisis.

I have a handful of apartments in my rental properties that I'm not renting out right now.

I don't need the extra income they would give me and I don't feel like putting up with any more tenants right now

None of you people talk about how shitty tenants can be in these rants

Raising minimum wage does nothing put more pressure on rents to increase as far as housing is concerned. Why would I continue to rent my property out at $750 a month when I know I can now rent it out at $950 a month and still have it occupied?

If housing is your true concern, then advocate for more public housing. I suspect, however, that isn't really the problem you want to address.

I have a handful of apartments in my rental properties that I'm not renting out right now.

I don't need the extra income they would give me and I don't feel like putting up with any more tenants right now

None of you people talk about how shitty tenants can be in these rants

I'm a retired Realtor with several rental properties. Many decades ago I realized I HATE managing property. I hired a good management company. WELL worth the 10 percent management fee to me!

/—-/ This is just plain racist and homophobic. Minimum wage should allow a worker bee to live in Malibu at the very least.
Lol what the fuck?
/——/ I’m serious dude. Minimum wage of $65 an hour would allow anyone to live in Malibu. Only racist and homophobes will object.
Malibu, CA | Data USA

Forum List

Back