In Rare Move, University Grants $22K Scholarship To Undocumented Student

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
In Rare Move, University Grants $22K Scholarship To Undocumented Student

Rutgers University-Newark has granted Giancarlo Tello, a 24-year-old political science major who came from Peru with his parents when he was just 6, a two-year scholarship that amounts to about $22,000.

University officials say they heard Tello speak at a community event in Newark, New Jersey and were amazed by his intelligence and leadership abilities. Since Tello is undocumented, and therefore ineligible for public financial aid programs, officials decided they would offer him a scholarship to help him cover the cost of his last two years.

In Rare Move, University Grants $22K Scholarship To Undocumented Student | Fox News Latino

let this get this straight, he is ineligible for public financial aid, so let's give him a public scholarship.

horseshit. why don't we give scholarships to wanted felons? or people who owe back taxes, child support....

From the article...

The notorious backlog of immigration cases in the United States led him to age out of the process of getting his paperwork, he said.

His grandparents, who are U.S. citizens, petitioned for his parents and for Giancarlo. But the process took so long that he turned 21 while it was still underway, and he became ineligible.

Now, his family has legal status, but he does not
. Tello does have a waiver from deportation under an Obama administration initiative from 2012 that allows undocumented immigrants who came as minors to avoid removal for two years. During that time, they may get work permits and driver’s licenses.

Tello, who maintains a 3.5 GPA, sees the United States as home. It is the country, he says, where he came of age.

“Since the first grade I’ve been saying the Pledge of Allegiance in school every single day,” Tello said. “I played football in middle school, went to my proms. I grew up watching 'Ninja Turtles' and trading 'Pokemon' cards.”

Things are not always black and white. This is a perfect example of a grey area He was brought here when he was 6. His entire family is now LEGAL, but because of government incompetence he is not.

Bravo to Rutgers. :clap:

Corrected:

Apparently Yurt thinks he gets to tell a public institution what they can do with their private endowment funds? Interesting.

Last edited:
Good. I'm all for cracking down on illegal immigration, but we should be encouraging the worlds best and brightest to become citizens. Not only has this man been living in the country since he was 6, but he is obviously very intelligent. This isn't a man here to "take jobs other Americans won't do". This is a man who can probably do jobs many Americans CAN'T.

Good. I'm all for cracking down on illegal immigration, but we should be encouraging the worlds best and brightest to become citizens. Not only has this man been living in the country since he was 6, but he is obviously very intelligent. This isn't a man here to "take jobs other Americans won't do". This is a man who can probably do jobs many Americans CAN'T.

right, so as long as the law was broken a long time ago, then it doesn't matter....

The institution finds Americans unworthy. Too bad liberals can't find a country to take Americans. Then we could all be deported and leave the USA to the pond scum.

Corrected:

Apparently Yurt thinks he gets to tell a public institution what they can do with their private endowment funds? Interesting.

And now he is getting his education paid for by Rutgers-Newark, which has awarded him a two-year scholarship worth at least $22,000 to return to his studies.

“Truly outstanding students should be supported at a public university,” said Peter T. Englot, senior vice chancellor at the Newark campus.

Englot said discussions were under way about tapping private donors for a scholarship fund at the state university in Newark to pay for more students who are ineligible for state and federal loans and grants because they are here illegally.

- See more at: Rutgers scholarship a milestone for immigrant activist - News - NorthJersey.com

wrong again dimwit....

The institution finds Americans unworthy. Too bad liberals can't find a country to take Americans. Then we could all be deported and leave the USA to the pond scum.
I say kick the pond scum out of our country along with all their supporters, including the politicians who support them.

let this get this straight, he is ineligible for public financial aid, so let's give him a public scholarship.

What makes you think this is a "public" scholarship?

it is a public university. if it is private scholarship, i will take back what i said.

"The university just created a new, private scholarship for unauthorized immigrants that it has awarded to Tello, who is excited to restart school this fall."

Rutgers scholarship helps unauthorized immigrants attend college: Editorial | NJ.com

The little lawbreaking wetback should have turned himself in to the nearest policeman when he was six! :evil::evil::evil:

"Rutgers is one of the first public schools in the country to designate financial aid for students who entered the country illegally as children, The Bergen Record reported. We hope it is a trend-setter. This is not a zero sum game of taking money away from one student to fund another: The university’s goal is to grow the entire pool of financial aid. It already offers tuition assistance to students from other disadvantaged backgrounds. Now it will raise money from donors who want to support Tello and others like him."
Rutgers scholarship helps unauthorized immigrants attend college: Editorial | NJ.com

There you go Yurt. Now STFU.

Last edited:
Christ, the next thing you know, with these private scholarships some of these little bastards will become inventors or doctors or something, and then we are all FUCKED!!! :evil::evil::evil:

I am SO GLAD Fox News Latino is on top of this bullshit.

Last edited:
Corrected:

And now he is getting his education paid for by Rutgers-Newark, which has awarded him a two-year scholarship worth at least $22,000 to return to his studies.

“Truly outstanding students should be supported at a public university,” said Peter T. Englot, senior vice chancellor at the Newark campus.

Englot said discussions were under way about tapping private donors for a scholarship fund at the state university in Newark to pay for more students who are ineligible for state and federal loans and grants because they are here illegally.

- See more at: Rutgers scholarship a milestone for immigrant activist - News - NorthJersey.com

wrong again dimwit....
Not at all little asswipe.

right, so as long as the law was broken a long time ago, then it doesn't matter....

He didn't break the law. His parents did when he was 6 years old. Now he is a productive American. Let him stay, and receive his scholarship.

Forum List

Back