Income equality bull shit.

Eliminating the rich means mass starvation. The Soviet Union learned that lesson the hard way, but dumbasses like you are too stupid to read the lessons of history,
Agreed. We don't need to eliminate the rich. We do need to eliminate their undue influence.

each of them has one vote, just like each middle class person or poor person.

Now, if you are talking about the rich media and Hollywood liberals, I agree completely.
Wrong.

Money buys politicians.

RIch people buy politicians to do things not in the best interests of The People at-large.

Money doesn't buy politicians. POWER buys politicians. And there are all kinds of power.

Don't sit and bitch about "the rich" buying influence, like you're so righteous, when you're doing the exact same thing with special interest groups, and voting blocs, and media coverage, etc.

The truth is, everyone's trying to get what they want for themselves, and you're just pissed because you think someone else has a tool you don't.
Spoken like a true unwitting minion of Rich Folk... you are wrong... money buys politicians...

Spoken like a two-digit-IQ moron. God forbid you think and try to understand WHY things work the way they do. No wonder the leftists find it so easy to brainwash and manipulate you rubes.

There is no equality of opportunity.

Guy A: Grows up in a mansion, silver spoon, two loving parents, healthy diet and no exposure to criminal elements.

Guy B: Grows up in a crackhouse, rusty spoon, crack whore mother and father abandonment, dryer lint diet and complete immersion in criminal elements.

You're telling me Guy A and Guy B have equal opportunity? LMAO! You guys are too funny sometimes ...

Guy A: Grows up in a mansion, silver spoon, two loving parents, healthy diet and no exposure to criminal elements.

Guy B: Grows up in a crackhouse, rusty spoon, crack whore mother and father abandonment, dryer lint diet and complete immersion in criminal elements.

You're telling me Guy A and Guy B have equal opportunity? LMAO! You guys are too funny sometimes ...
Why wage war?

Here in the USA, Guy B has more Opportunity than Guy B’s in other countries.

Agreed. We don't need to eliminate the rich. We do need to eliminate their undue influence.

each of them has one vote, just like each middle class person or poor person.

Now, if you are talking about the rich media and Hollywood liberals, I agree completely.
Wrong.

Money buys politicians.

RIch people buy politicians to do things not in the best interests of The People at-large.

Money doesn't buy politicians. POWER buys politicians. And there are all kinds of power.

Don't sit and bitch about "the rich" buying influence, like you're so righteous, when you're doing the exact same thing with special interest groups, and voting blocs, and media coverage, etc.

The truth is, everyone's trying to get what they want for themselves, and you're just pissed because you think someone else has a tool you don't.
Spoken like a true unwitting minion of Rich Folk... you are wrong... money buys politicians...

Spoken like a two-digit-IQ moron. God forbid you think and try to understand WHY things work the way they do. No wonder the leftists find it so easy to brainwash and manipulate you rubes.
You tell 'em, Princess...

Thomas Sowell wrote about this several times. The problem is that leftists have been taught to understand certain phrases in a completely different way than they're actually meant, and to believe that the purpose of laws and government is not to set boundaries for human society, but to correct perceived flaws in the universe, as though humans have the ability to do so.

In this case, you are misunderstanding the phrase "equality of opportunity" to mean being exactly the same in the sense of the universe making everyone exactly alike, and assuming that it is somehow society's job to make up for the fact that humans are not extruded from a cookie cutter somewhere. But "equality of opportunity" was never meant that way. We cannot control the cosmos, and never will. Equality of opportunity refers to those things we can control, such as applying human laws equally to everyone and producing a society that allows everyone to achieve what they can with whatever the universe has given them. And yes, we ARE imperfect at doing this, but in far too many cases, this is because we are trying to perfect the universe, rather than perfect society.

Thomas Sowell wrote about this several times. The problem is that leftists have been taught to understand certain phrases in a completely different way than they're actually meant, and to believe that the purpose of laws and government is not to set boundaries for human society, but to correct perceived flaws in the universe, as though humans have the ability to do so.

In this case, you are misunderstanding the phrase "equality of opportunity" to mean being exactly the same in the sense of the universe making everyone exactly alike, and assuming that it is somehow society's job to make up for the fact that humans are not extruded from a cookie cutter somewhere. But "equality of opportunity" was never meant that way. We cannot control the cosmos, and never will. Equality of opportunity refers to those things we can control, such as applying human laws equally to everyone and producing a society that allows everyone to achieve what they can with whatever the universe has given them. And yes, we ARE imperfect at doing this, but in far too many cases, this is because we are trying to perfect the universe, rather than perfect society.

The founding Fathers never used the phrase "equality of opportunity." They never even considered the posibility that opportunity could ever be equal or that government could pull off the mirical of making it so. I think some leftwing pol coined the term

I'm aware of that. It bothers me when people act like everyone is 100% in control of their own destiny, that it's all entirely up to you and that you should feel bad if you're not as rich as some other guy, particularly when that other guy had massive advantages over you simply by virtue of his birth. It's like having to run the 100 m with a 45 lb. weight tied around your right ankle, while the other guy gets a bicycle. Unless he somehow crashes and cracks his skull, he is going to win that race.

Working hard is obviously better than slacking off for becoming successful, but it will only get you so far.

I'm aware of that. It bothers me when people act like everyone is 100% in control of their own destiny, that it's all entirely up to you and that you should feel bad if you're not as rich as some other guy, particularly when that other guy had massive advantages over you simply by virtue of his birth. It's like having to run the 100 m with a 45 lb. weight tied around your right ankle, while the other guy gets a bicycle. Unless he somehow crashes and cracks his skull, he is going to win that race.

Working hard is obviously better than slacking off for becoming successful, but it will only get you so far.

See, you've got several fallacies in there, so it's no wonder you're confused and bitter.

First of all, who's acting like people are 100% in control of their own destiny? Conservatives are well aware that some things are beyond people's control. The difference is that we're aware that those things are beyond EVERYONE'S control, including those in government, and attempting to control them via legislation is only going to create worse problems.

Second of all, it's not conservatives suggesting that people should feel bad because someone else is richer. It's actually leftists who encourage people to feel jealous and vengeful toward those who have more material goods, so that they will be given more power to try to change things beyond human control. It is true that conservatives believe that people should focus their attentions on their own efforts and own lives; and yes, we DO think people should feel bad when they aren't trying their best to achieve what they want.

Third, this isn't a race, or a competition at all, which is one of the biggest fallacies of the left. We're not animals living on the savannah, engaging in survival of the fittest, where the gazelle caught by one lion means that other lions starve. We're a society of thinking, reasoning beings, capable of producing more than enough success to go around to everyone, particularly when you consider that not everyone defines "success" in the same way.

Finally, this zero-sum fallacy of the left is particularly pernicious, in that it motivates THE LEFT to tie weights around one guy's ankle while riffling through his pockets for money to buy the other guy a bicycle.

See, you've got several fallacies in there, so it's no wonder you're confused and bitter.

First of all, who's acting like people are 100% in control of their own destiny? Conservatives are well aware that some things are beyond people's control. The difference is that we're aware that those things are beyond EVERYONE'S control, including those in government, and attempting to control them via legislation is only going to create worse problems.

Second of all, it's not conservatives suggesting that people should feel bad because someone else is richer. It's actually leftists who encourage people to feel jealous and vengeful toward those who have more material goods, so that they will be given more power to try to change things beyond human control. It is true that conservatives believe that people should focus their attentions on their own efforts and own lives; and yes, we DO think people should feel bad when they aren't trying their best to achieve what they want.

Third, this isn't a race, or a competition at all, which is one of the biggest fallacies of the left. We're not animals living on the savannah, engaging in survival of the fittest, where the gazelle caught by one lion means that other lions starve. We're a society of thinking, reasoning beings, capable of producing more than enough success to go around to everyone, particularly when you consider that not everyone defines "success" in the same way.

Finally, this zero-sum fallacy of the left is particularly pernicious, in that it motivates THE LEFT to tie weights around one guy's ankle while riffling through his pockets for money to buy the other guy a bicycle.

You've made an alarming number of assumptions regarding my perspective in life, which I resent.

there is no guarantee of equal anything. What you make of your life is up to you, not the government or anyone else. Ben Carson was Guy B in your post. Look at what he accomplished.

The path may be more difficult for some, but that's life. Deal with it.

Guy B has more of an opportunity under the USA Capitalist economy to close the gap vs. Guy A. Comparatively, I defy any liberal to site an economy in the world where Guy B’s from this example, have a better opportunity vs. Guy B’s in the US.

Guy B has more of an opportunity under the USA Capitalist economy to close the gap vs. Guy A. Comparatively, I defy any liberal to site an economy in the world where Guy B’s from this example, have a better opportunity vs. Guy B’s in the US.

But there are plenty where guy A can be taken down and his assets end up in the government treasury.

I'm aware of that. It bothers me when people act like everyone is 100% in control of their own destiny, that it's all entirely up to you and that you should feel bad if you're not as rich as some other guy, particularly when that other guy had massive advantages over you simply by virtue of his birth.

Everybody is in charge of their own destiny, but that doesn't guarantee financial success.

Lower income people are generally less responsible. They don't pay attention in school, they don't have the inclination to work hard, they don't understand the first thing about finances, so of course many of them fail in life. Is that because they were born on first base instead of third, or is it because they decided to have their second child at the age of 18 and go on some social programs?

Instead of concentrating on being rich, it's better to concentrate on just being better and making decisions to better yourself.

Years ago I used to have a part-time job teaching music. From time to time, some student would walk into the studio all bummed out. They were completely upset because they went to some bar or someplace and seen a great guitarist. I told them that it's just a fact of life. No matter how hard you try, there is always going to be somebody with more money, a bigger D, and can play better guitar than you. I would tell them the only guitarist they have to be better than is the guitarist that was here last week at this very time.

It never failed. They eventually get a new attitude about being a musician and continued to just be better than they were the week before. That's what needs to be done with people who didn't start out in life with a lot of money.

I'm aware of that. It bothers me when people act like everyone is 100% in control of their own destiny, that it's all entirely up to you and that you should feel bad if you're not as rich as some other guy, particularly when that other guy had massive advantages over you simply by virtue of his birth.

Everybody is in charge of their own destiny, but that doesn't guarantee financial success.

Lower income people are generally less responsible. They don't pay attention in school, they don't have the inclination to work hard, they don't understand the first thing about finances, so of course many of them fail in life. Is that because they were born on first base instead of third, or is it because they decided to have their second child at the age of 18 and go on some social programs?

Instead of concentrating on being rich, it's better to concentrate on just being better and making decisions to better yourself.

Years ago I used to have a part-time job teaching music. From time to time, some student would walk into the studio all bummed out. They were completely upset because they went to some bar or someplace and seen a great guitarist. I told them that it's just a fact of life. No matter how hard you try, there is always going to be somebody with more money, a bigger D, and can play better guitar than you. I would tell them the only guitarist they have to be better than is the guitarist that was here last week at this very time.

It never failed. They eventually get a new attitude about being a musician and continued to just be better than they were the week before. That's what needs to be done with people who didn't start out in life with a lot of money.

Well that's fine. That's reasonable. What I'm saying is, sometimes the guy who's worse off than you isn't just a lazy slob or an idiot. Sometimes they started out with a lot less than you did, or just had shitty luck. The people act like those of modest means are just losers are the ones I am talking about.

And some people who are poor and need government assistance have just hit a rough patch and don't want to make a career out of it. In fact, I'd say the overwhelming majority are that way.

That is not equality of opportunity. That is Guy B simply being much better than Guy A, and yet still being wildly unlikely to "close the gap" as you put it.

Forum List

Back