Investing icon Ray Dalio has advice for politicians and partisans

Where common goals do not exist what is there to work together on?
^^^

This. I have a vision for America that is rock bottom set. If the other side wishes to collaborate with Me on that vision, I'll welcome it. However, there is a fundamental set of principles and understandings that is not subject to change.

Ever.

I think your attempt to conjoin collaboration in financial matters and business with a nation and set of moral principles is a poor choice.

I have nothing to gain by compromising My principles, no matter if the other side were to offer the world.

And before you say it.

I am no winger. I have made this stand on the basis of commonly held, core principles that this nation held for over a century. That means My stance is the modern-day center.

I have a vision for America that is rock bottom set. If the other side wishes to collaborate with Me on that vision, I'll welcome it. However, there is a fundamental set of principles and understandings that is not subject to change. Ever.
What do you envision as the alternative to collaboration, then?

The two ends of the spectrum pounding on each other like cavemen, while the rest of us have to deal with the fallout? One side winning, proceeding to cram its agenda down our throats until we've had enough and vote the other side in - then that other side just repeating the process?

You really don't think you're to "defeat" the other side, do you?

I think this is about tribal ego, nothing more. Ideology over country. It helps nothing. That's why I think the wings will never be a part of constructive conversation.

I have a vision for America that is rock bottom set. If the other side wishes to collaborate with Me on that vision, I'll welcome it. However, there is a fundamental set of principles and understandings that is not subject to change. Ever.

The two ends of the spectrum pounding on each other like cavemen, while the rest of us have to deal with the fallout? One side winning, proceeding to cram its agenda down our throats until we've had enough and vote the other side in - then that other side just repeating the process?

You don't think you're to "defeat" the other side, do you?

I think this is about tribal ego, nothing more. Ideology over the country. It helps nothing. That's why I think the wings will never be a part of constructive conversation.
You seem to miss the point. I do not need to defeat anyone. I simply will not allow anyone to compromise MY values, principles, and morals.

Let Me put your argument in perspective.

I think murder is wrong. I have a moral and principled stand on the taking of innocent life by another human.

What shall we collaborate on? What part of, "I get some of this and the other person gets some of what they want", is acceptable to you? We can murder people (use the real definition of murder please) if they meet certain criteria? What about the people who are indifferent to the idea of murder? Shall I then compromise so that those in the middle do not have to deal with the fallout of Me not compromising?

This is what it means to have a moral valued stance. Some things are just plain wrong and I will never agree to allow them to be right, no matter how many collaborations are offered.

I will not try to silence those who think murder is okay. I'll simply point out to them that they are wrong, strongly at times. Make no mistake, however. I will OPPOSE anyone who thinks that murder is something that can be compromised.

This is what I mean when it is said we have no common ground. The values of America, the ones I know to be moral and true, are the values I will fight for and not compromise on.

Not ever.

I think this is about tribal ego, nothing more. Ideology over country. It helps nothing. That's why I think the wings will never be a part of constructive conversation.
You seem to miss the point. I have no need to defeat anyone. I simply will not allow anyone to compromise MY values, principles, and morals.

I think murder is wrong. I have a moral and principled stand on the taking of innocent life by another human.

What shall we collaborate on? What part of I get some of this and the other person gets some of what they want is acceptable to you? We can murder people (use the real definition of murder please) if they meet certain criteria? What about the people who are indifferent to the idea of murder? Shall I then compromise so that those in the middle do not have to deal with the fallout of Me not compromising?

This is what it means to have a moral valued stance. Some things are just plain wrong and I will never agree to allow them to be right, no matter how many collaborations are offered.

I will not try to silence those who think murder is okay. I'll simply point out to them that they are wrong, strongly at times. Make no mistake, however. I will OPPOSE anyone who thinks that murder is something that can be compromised.

This is what I mean when it is said we have no common ground. The values of America, the ones I know to be moral and true, are the values I will fight for and not compromise on.

Not ever.
It's one thing to take a rigid stand. It's another to participate in the governance of a country.

You can stand there for as long as you'd like, holding your ground. So can those on the other end. Like the North Korean and South Korean soldiers staring each other down at their shared border, accomplishing exactly nothing.

The rest of us will try to move things along, one way or the other.

You seem to miss the point. I have no need to defeat anyone. I simply will not allow anyone to compromise MY values, principles, and morals.

What shall we collaborate on? What part of I get some of this and the other person gets some of what they want is acceptable to you? We can murder people (use the real definition of murder please) if they meet certain criteria? What about the people who are indifferent to the idea of murder? Shall I then compromise so that those in the middle do not have to deal with the fallout of Me not compromising?

Not ever.
It's one thing to take a rigid stand. It's another to participate in the governance of a country.

You can stand there for as long as you'd like, holding your ground. So can those on the other end. Like the North Korean and South Korean soldiers staring each other down at their shared border, accomplishing exactly nothing.

The rest of us will try to move things along, one way or the other.
You wish to compromise on your values, that is on you. I'll remember that the next time you decide to take a stand on something.

Maybe something like we should collaborate. I say collaboration is nothing but code for one side beating the other to the detriment of everyone.

Chaos, decline and fall.

You will not either, if your intent is to ignore the cause of the problem.

We cannot have co-operation, with those intent on destroying US.

As long as those who like to consider themselves, "the middle" allow themselves to be led by those that sow such bitter division, our course is set in stone.

The left must be defeated not bargained with. You can't trust one word out of their filthy lying mouths anyway. Any deal you cut with them they fully intend to break.

Chaos, decline and fall.

As long as those who like to consider themselves, "the middle" allow themselves to be led by those that sow such bitter division, our course is set in stone.
As I said, some have the capacity for collaboration, some don't. For them, there will always be excuses.

Those who view the opposition as the “enemy” are the problem. Feeding into tribalism does NOTHING to bring us together as a nation.

Those who view the opposition as the “enemy” are the problem. Feeding into tribalism does NOTHING to bring us together as a nation.
Yep. They've been badly misled and now they're True Believers. Warriors. They don't WANT to bring us together, they want to "beat" the other tribe. Somehow.

I used to think that anyone could be a part of productive conversation and collaboration, but I've changed my mind on that. There are people who simply don't have the skill set or temperament. The rest will have to find a way to get it done without them.

Chaos, decline and fall.

As I said, some have the capacity for collaboration, some don't. For them, there will always be excuses.

You're starting with the premise that it is the other who is the problem, never you.

Chaos, decline and fall.

You're starting with the premise that it is the other who is the problem, never you.
Well, no, I'm not.

I wish there some kind of serum I could give you folks to stop inventing and fabricating my opinions and positions.

Just another reason I no longer put much effort into this here.

Yep. They've been badly misled and now they're True Believers. Warriors. They don't WANT to bring us together, they want to "beat" the other tribe. Somehow.

I used to think that anyone could be a part of productive conversation and collaboration, but I've changed my mind on that. There are people who simply don't have the skill set or temperament. The rest will have to find a way to get it done without them.

Except if you add up the accused, and those that have been led to be terrified of them, and the accusers.

they vastly outnumber you.

Except if you add up the accused, and those that have been led to be terrified of them, and the accusers.

I don't know what that means, but I appreciate your input.

Chaos, decline and fall.

Well, no, I'm not.

I wish there some kind of serum I could give you folks to stop inventing and fabricating my opinions and positions.

Sure you are. YOu know that it is the "wingers" that are the problem. You won't even discuss it anymore.

Chaos, decline and fall.

Well, no, I'm not.

Sure you are. YOu know that it is the "wingers" that are the problem. You won't even discuss it anymore.
Well, thanks again for telling me what I think.

Now that you can just make up my positions and opinions, you don't need me to participate in these tedious "conversations".

I don't know what that means, but I appreciate your input.

All the people accused of "Racism", Pretty much all white people who are not extreme liberals, so roughly have of the country.

Minorities that believe that half of the country is literally out to get them, say that is another 20% of the country at least.

Then you have those who are happy to be making hay by falsely accusing their enemies, liberals. That is another good 20% of the country.

50% plus 20% plus 20% is about 90% of the country, off the table for real cooperation before you even start.

As long as the mechanism of false accusations of racism is the primary means of political control in this country, we are doomed.

Chaos, decline and fall.

Well, no, I'm not.

Well, thanks again for telling me what I think.

Now that you can just make up my positions and opinions, you don't need me to participate in these tedious "conversations".

And there you go dismissing me. Thanks.

Forum List

Back