Iran Names 1979 U.S. Embassy Hostage-Taker Its UN Envoy

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
Iran Names 1979 U.S. Embassy Hostage-Taker Its UN Envoy - Bloomberg

Iran has named a member of the militant group that held 52 Americans hostage in Tehran for 444 days to be its next ambassador to the United Nations.

The Iranian government has applied for a U.S. visa for Hamid Aboutalebi, Iran’s former ambassador to Belgium and Italy, who was a member of the Muslim Students Following the Imam’s Line, a group of radical students that seized the U.S. embassy on Nov. 4, 1979. Imam was an honorific used for Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the leader of the Islamic Revolution.

Relations between the Islamic Republic and the U.S. and its allies are beginning to emerge from the deep freeze that began when the self-proclaimed Iranian students overrun the embassy and took the hostages. The State Department hasn’t responded to the visa application, according to an Iranian diplomat.

A controversy over Aboutalebi’s appointment could spark demands on Capitol Hill and beyond during this congressional election year for the Obama administration to take the unusual step of denying a visa to an official posted to the UN. It also could hamper progress toward a comprehensive agreement to curb Iran’s nuclear program, which the U.S. and five other world powers are seeking to negotiate with Iran by July 20.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani chose Aboutalebi to serve at the UN, which is headquartered in New York City on international, soil after the interim nuclear deal was forged last Nov. 24.

The UN is useless. I wouldn't worry too much about it until Agenda 21 starts knocking on your door.

Too bad Carter didn't have the guts to simply level Iran. Give the Iranians 24 hours to return the hostages, punctuate the point by sinking Iran's entire Navy and destroying it's harbors, and if the hostages aren't returned in time, assume they are dead and hold a public memorial service and then flatten the country.

Too bad Carter didn't have the guts to simply level Iran. Give the Iranians 24 hours to return the hostages, punctuate the point by sinking Iran's entire Navy and destroying it's harbors, and if the hostages aren't returned in time, assume they are dead and hold a public memorial service and then flatten the country.

I think America should have set up a coup to remove the government and installed a pet dictator.
Oh, hang on, that's how this all started. :eusa_clap:

I didn't say I agreed with backing the coup, but that's a different argument. If Iran wanted to cut diplomatic ties and expel the ambassador and his staff, fine. Storming the embassy and taking the staff hostage is a whole different ballgame and should have been met with force.

I didn't say I agreed with backing the coup, but that's a different argument. If Iran wanted to cut diplomatic ties and expel the ambassador and his staff, fine. Storming the embassy and taking the staff hostage is a whole different ballgame and should have been met with force.

It was, but your helicopters crashed before you got there.

Saying that, you can't blame the students for being pissed off.
America had removed the elected government and put their pet dog in power.
Not that I back taking the hostages, but I do understand it.

You also have to remember, using a given person as a diplomat is a common tool; one that America has used in the past.
I recall enjoying a chuckle when I first read this.

REAGAN NAMES A BLACK DIPLOMAT U.S. AMBASSADOR TO SOUTH AFRICA - NYTimes.com

WASHINGTON, Sept. 30— President Reagan, trying to win Senate support for his veto of South African sanctions legislation, today appointed Edward J. Perkins, a veteran black diplomat, as the new Ambassador to Pretoria.

America used this diplomat to show disgust at the nasty South African government of the time, and send a message to the world.
Iran is doing the same to you. You've bullied that country for years and they want you to know, they're defying you.
I have to be honest, I chuckled when I read this story.

The big mistake most Americans make is simple enough, you assume America is right in everything it does but, when you look at the causes of many bad situations, you see America is at the bottom of it.
In Iran's case, absolutely. You created the conditions for the Islamic republic to arise.
Luckily, the new government is trying to go a lot more mainstream but you have to remember, you've bullied them for a long time so they're going to be less than happy with you.
Take your spanking and live with it - America very much deserves it for what they'd done.

Is not going well for the former Iranian hostage taker....once a terrorist always a terrorist.

"The Obama administration has told the Iranian government its choice of a one-time student revolutionary to be UN ambassador is "not viable"..... "On Monday, the US Senate unanimously passed a bill that would bar him from entering the country."

8 April 2014
BBC News - US: Iran UN envoy Hamid Aboutalebi 'not viable'

Forum List

Back