Is a business allowed to violate civil rights?

But why should they have too?

Why should some people be restricted as to where they can by food because of the color of their skin?

The best you've been able to come up with to defend your own stance is your smug statement that you pick and choose your battles. Clearly you never envision yourself being discriminated against. Perhaps you never will be. However such a fatuous and self centered additude merely reveals your narrow-mindedness. Racist policies harm us all, not just those at whom they are directed.

Choosing one's own battles is smug? No. It's called being smart when it comes to the establishment. You act like I've never been discriminated against, you don't know me. Don't act for one second with your self-righteous attitude that you think you know me and how I live my life.

I never said racism was morally right, it's morally wrong. However, this is America, andin America people have a right to be racist if they so choose.

What I find ultimately hilarious and ironic is your trying to legislate morality in this case. Except you wouldn't want such a thing to be done in the case of Abortion, and on other issues. I'm of the stance that anyone who has the opportunity to shop elsewhere and buys whatever from a racist is a complete moron.

You want to make racists truly suffer? Hit them where it hurts, their wallet. Nothing says learning a hard lesson when you go out of business because you refused to serve African Americans.
:lol: Now that is truly naive.

Don't confuse the right to be a racist with a right to commit illegal racist acts.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88-352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964) was a landmark piece of legislation in the United States that outlawed unequal application of voter registration requirements and racial segregation in schools, at the workplace and by facilities that served the general public ("public accommodations.")

Once the Act was implemented, its effects were far-reaching and had tremendous long-term impacts on the whole country. It prohibited discrimination in public facilities, in government, and in employment, invalidating the Jim Crow laws in the southern U.S. It became illegal to compel segregation of the races in schools, housing, or hiring.

Powers given to enforce the act were initially weak, but were supplemented during later years. Congress asserted its authority to legislate under several different parts of the United States Constitution, principally its power to regulate interstate commerce under Article One (section 8), its duty to guarantee all citizens equal protection of the laws under the Fourteenth Amendment and its duty to protect voting rights under the Fifteenth Amendment.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is not government imposing on citizens, it is government upholding the constitutional standard in the name of protecting citizens.

Don't confuse the right to be a racist with a right to commit illegal racist acts.

How is that naive? Are you of the opinion that all white people are racist? Not every business that is racist will likely go out of business, however a majority will.

Besides, I'll restate what I said earlier: if you are African American, why the hell would you want to eat at a establishment that doesn't want you there because of the color of your skin and therefore give that establishment $$$ to continue operating?

Like I said previously, I could see why in 1964 it was necessary because across the country, racism by business owners was rampant. However, it is no longer 1964. Though if I were in Congress, I would not vote to repeal this act either.

How is that naive? Are you of the opinion that all white people are racist? Not every business that is racist will likely go out of business, however a majority will.

Yeah right. You're so fucking naive its not funny. Its scary.

Besides, I'll restate what I said earlier: if you are African American, why the hell would you want to eat at a establishment that doesn't want you there because of the color of your skin and therefore give that establishment $$$ to continue operating?

Because it beats walking 10 miles down the road to another hotel only to find out they don't want you either, dumbfuck.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88-352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964) was a landmark piece of legislation in the United States that outlawed unequal application of voter registration requirements and racial segregation in schools, at the workplace and by facilities that served the general public ("public accommodations.")

Once the Act was implemented, its effects were far-reaching and had tremendous long-term impacts on the whole country. It prohibited discrimination in public facilities, in government, and in employment, invalidating the Jim Crow laws in the southern U.S. It became illegal to compel segregation of the races in schools, housing, or hiring.

Powers given to enforce the act were initially weak, but were supplemented during later years. Congress asserted its authority to legislate under several different parts of the United States Constitution, principally its power to regulate interstate commerce under Article One (section 8), its duty to guarantee all citizens equal protection of the laws under the Fourteenth Amendment and its duty to protect voting rights under the Fifteenth Amendment.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is not government imposing on citizens, it is government upholding the constitutional standard in the name of protecting citizens.
I think that perhaps some people here are too blinded by their misunderstanding of what ownership of property actually means in this country to understand that it does not give them the right to run a little fiefdom with laws of it's own that supersede those of the nation.

Because it beats walking 10 miles down the road to another hotel only to find out they don't want you either, dumbfuck.

So you think all white people are racist? Also, where the hell do you live that you have to walk ten miles to find another hotel? I'd like to know where these places are.

Also, if I were African American, I'd rather sleep outside than give one dime to a hatemonger.

Why not? If you find it so unecessary and an imposition on individual freedoms?

Did I ever say any of those two things? I'm merely stating my personal opinion when it comes to eating at racist establishments and stating the fact that America in 2010 is greatly different then it was in 1964.

So you think all white people are racist? Also, where the hell do you live that you have to walk ten miles to find another hotel? I'd like to know where these places are.
More like you think everyone who agrees with the Civil Liberties Act also thinks all white people are racist.

So you think all white people are racist?

No. Where did I even say that?

Also, where the hell do you live that you have to walk ten miles to find another hotel? I'd like to know where these places are.

Without the CRA, They're any place that doesn't like the color of my skin.

Also, if I were African American, I'd rather sleep outside than give one dime to a hatemonger.
No one gives a shit.

As a passive sort of person,that would be your choice. However don't expect everyone else to take that sort of injustice lying down.

More like you think everyone who agrees with the Civil Liberties Act also thinks all white people are racist.

Not at all. Besides, why would I call myself racist? :cuckoo:

What you're doing right now is being dishonest on several levels.

No. Where did I even say that?

Without the CRA, They're any place that doesn't like the color of my skin.

No one gives a shit.

You called me fucking naive when I said that not all white people are racist, and that the majority of these racist places would go out of business. I then asked if you think all white people are racist. Pretty simple actually.

Also, you gave me a non-answer. Where are these places you have to walk ten miles inbetween to find a hotel and then another hotel that are racist? Seems to me if such a place was outside of civilization so badly, they would gladly accept any customer.

As a passive sort of person,that would be your choice. However don't expect everyone else to take that sort of injustice lying down.

I'm not saying they have to. I'm merely following Dr. King on this one.

Montgomery Bus Boycott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On Saturday, December 3, it was evident that the black community would support the boycott, and very few blacks rode the buses that day. That night a mass meeting was held to determine if the protest would continue, and attendees enthusiastically agreed. The boycott proved extremely effective, with enough riders lost to the city transit system to cause serious economic distress. Martin Luther King later wrote "[a] miracle had taken place." Instead of riding buses, boycotters organized a system of carpools, with car owners volunteering their vehicles or themselves driving people to various destinations. Some white housewives also drove their black domestic servants to work, although it is unclear to what extent this was based on sympathy with the boycott, or the desire to have their staff present and working.

Why not? If you find it so unecessary and an imposition on individual freedoms?

Did I ever say any of those two things? I'm merely stating my personal opinion when it comes to eating at racist establishments and stating the fact that America in 2010 is greatly different then it was in 1964.

SO you don't think it would be far fetched in America today to see "No Muslims allowed" at restaurants and hotels ? "No Gays Allowed" ? No Christians, No Jews, No Pagans, No Blacks, No Dogberts ?

The individual business owner who is permitted to do business by the State to provide PUBLIC accommodations as a means to conduct business, can supercede an individuals right to be considered a part of the general public ?

I'm not saying they have to. I'm merely following Dr. King on this one.

Montgomery Bus Boycott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On Saturday, December 3, it was evident that the black community would support the boycott, and very few blacks rode the buses that day. That night a mass meeting was held to determine if the protest would continue, and attendees enthusiastically agreed. The boycott proved extremely effective, with enough riders lost to the city transit system to cause serious economic distress. Martin Luther King later wrote "[a] miracle had taken place." Instead of riding buses, boycotters organized a system of carpools, with car owners volunteering their vehicles or themselves driving people to various destinations. Some white housewives also drove their black domestic servants to work, although it is unclear to what extent this was based on sympathy with the boycott, or the desire to have their staff present and working.
People are forced to resort to boycotts when their government does not protect them. Boycotts and strikes cause strife to both sides. They are last resort tactics and to be avoided whenever possible. Fair and equitable laws and the enforcement of them go a long way in preventing the kind of disorder and economic ruin that boycotts can cause.

Forum List

Back