🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is Bergdahl's father an Islamic sympathizer ?

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
This story is looking more rotten by the hour.

The curious case of Bob Bergdahl’s apparent tweet to the Taliban

Since Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was captured in the mountains of Afghanistan in 2009, his father had become an expert on Guantanamo Bay’s detainees. It was out of necessity, because the Taliban demanded that the United States free prisoners from Guantanamo in exchange for Bergdahl.

“No family in the United States understands the detainee issue like ours,” Robert Bergdahl said in a 2011 plea to his son’s captors.

So it wasn’t entirely unusual when Bergdahl apparently published a tweet last week about Guantanamo’s detainees. Except this tweet was directed at a Taliban spokesman. And it came just four days before it was announced that his son was finally being released.

“I am still working to free all Guantanamo prisoners,” the tweet said, according to various screen grabs. The tweet was subsequently deleted. “God will repay for the death of every Afghan child, ameen.”

The elation over the release of America’s only prisoner of war has mixed with questions about the circumstances of his disappearance — and the cost of his return.

The recent tweet has only fanned those flames in some quarters.

Former GOP Rep. Allen West labeled it a potential “smoking gun.”

“Folks, this is either a very bad case of Stockholm Syndrome or something far more nefarious is at stake,” wrote West, a popular conservative activist. “Regardless, there is more to this than meets the eye of Obama making a unilateral decision and announcement on a Saturday — when he believes no one is watching.”

Bergdahl’s critics view the tweet as another demonstration of the father’s and son’s contempt for their own country. But the elder Bergdahl’s Twitter feed — @bobbergdahl — tells a more nuanced story.

In addition to calling for the release of Guantanamo detainees, Bergdahl also tweeted in solidarity with a a host of prisoners elsewhere, including abducted journalist James Foley, who was detained in Syria; Saeed Abedini, an American Christian pastor jailed in Iran; and Kenneth Bae, an American jailed in North Korea.

Bergdahl has also used Twitter to stay in constant contact with his son’s supporters and sympathizers, tweeting often about his son and sharing articles about the war in Afghanistan interspersed with a few anti-war links and videos.

It’s unclear why this particular tweet was deleted: A spokesman for the family told The Post on Monday that Bob and Jami Bergdahl were asked by the media about the now-missing message upon their return to Idaho from Washington. But the Bergdahls didn’t discuss it.

“They just nodded their head in acknowledgement of the question, but they didn’t address [it] in their remarks,” said Col. Timothy Marsano, the family spokesman.

During their long, painful wait for their son’s safe return, the Bergdahls have vacillated between quiet, consistent remembrance and outspoken activism.

After his son’s capture, Bergdahl appeared to pour himself into an effort to find solidarity with his missing son. He grew a long beard and learned Pashto and Urdu, languages spoken along the Afghan-Pakistan border.

And it has been no secret that he offers compassion to his son’s captors.

“Strangely to some we must also thank those who have cared for our son for almost two years,” Bergdahl said in the 2011 video message to the Taliban. “We know our son is a prisoner and at the same time a guest in your home.”

Last year, during a rally hosted by the P.O.W. activist organization Honor-Release-Return, Bergdahl commented that the Taliban treated his son “fairly.”

“Bowe and the other Americans in captivity have been extremely fortunate not to be badly mistreated by the Taliban,” he said, referring to other unnamed Americans in captivity, as he often does.

At times during the last five years, he considered taking matters into his own hands. He thought about going to Pakistan to retrieve his son himself.

“I’ll talk to them,” he told Rolling Stone Magazine in a 2012 profile. “I’ll bring him home myself.”

And he has said he maintains constant e-mail contact with a Taliban member with knowledge of his son’s whereabouts.

When negotiations stalled in 2012, the Bergdahls spoke out forcefully in favor of the exchange of Guantanamo prisoners for their son, in an interview with the Idaho Mountain Express — even while they praised the U.S. government’s handling of the situation.

Mr. and Mrs. Bergdahl … are advocating that the Pentagon and the White House consider swapping one or more U.S. prisoners being held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for their son.

“I’m pushing it hard,” Mr. Bergdahl said. “We started out by trying to encourage the Taliban to take care of our son. … Now, we’re worried that the government isn’t concerned enough to put him on the (negotiating) table.” …

Mr. Bergdahl said he believes a deal to swap Taliban prisoners at Guantanamo for Bowe would be a “win-win” for the United States—his son could be returned safely to Idaho and the government could foster goodwill with the Afghan people.

After five years of waiting, the U.S. finally did.

The curious case of Bob Bergdahl?s apparent tweet to the Taliban

No wonder the leftist board members here are rushing to protect this guy. Islam.

His brother Islamist B. Hussein Obama will try to protect him, but this deserter turd son caused more deaths than Benghazi! Barry may have stepped in really deep do-do this time!:mad:

Something has gone weird in that family for sure. Was the jihad Sgt. in communication with his family for the five years he joined the Taliban?

Now I know I would do anything, everything and move heaven and earth to try to save one of my children. I can't fault the undying love of a parent for his or her child.

Even if that child is proven to be a deserter and a traitor to his country and his fellow soldiers.

ETA: I would if my son or daughter was convicted of being a traitor to make amends as best as possible. Especially to the families of the men that died looking for him. I don't know how you could make it up to them; but I would want my child to try.

Last edited:
Sadly a mass murderer was freed for this young man. But I can't blame that on the parents. They weren't at the bargaining table.

Now I know I would do anything, everything and move heaven and earth to try to save one of my children. I can't fault the undying love of a parent for his or her child.

Even if that child is proven to be a deserter and a traitor to his country and his fellow soldiers.

ETA: I would if my son or daughter was convicted of being a traitor to make amends as best as possible. Especially to the families of the men that died looking for him. I don't know how you could make it up to them; but I would want my child to try.

I totally agree, I would forgive my children and move heaven and earth to get them home.
However, for the rest of us were left with wondering why we would exchange five high ranking jihadists for one American that may have deserted.

yes it sure seems that way and so is his son

my gawd we are in for a world of hurt...get prepared

If any son of mine had done what this human piece of shit di and was directly responsible for the deaths of those soldiers I'd pull the fucking switch on him myself. And I do mean it.

Michael Hasting wrote the following account of Bowe's time in Afghanistan in June of 2012:

"Private First Class Bowe Bergdahl arrived in Afghanistan at the worst possible moment, just as President Barack Obama had ordered the first troop surge in the spring of 2009.

"Rather than withdraw from a disastrous and increasingly deadly war started by his predecessor, the new commander in chief had decided to escalate the conflict, tripling the number of troops to 100,000 and employing a counterinsurgency strategy that had yet to demonstrate any measurable success.

"To many on Obama's staff, who had been studying Lessons in Disaster, a book about America's failure in Vietnam, the catastrophe to come seemed almost preordained. 'My God,' his deputy national security adviser Tom Don*ilon said at the time. 'What are we getting this guy into?'

"Over the next three years, 13,000 Americans would be killed or wounded in Afghanistan – more than during the previous eight years of war under George W. Bush.

Bowe Bergdahl: America's Last Prisoner of War by Michael Hastings | Politics News | Rolling Stone

Forum List

Back