Is evading and cheating on your taxes patriotic?

Do you advocate evading and cheating on your taxes?

• Total voters
Cheating, no.

I object to the word "evading" as it connotes something unethical.

I do think any rational person is perfectly justified in paying the minimal taxes he can under the tax code. The fact that it is so byzantine and riddled with loopholes, penalties, and favoritism makes the overall system quite corrupt.

It would be better to lower taxes and enact simplification.

Tax evasion is illegal, but I don't consider it unethical. Taxation is theft. I don't advocate that people evade taxes if there's a chance they will be caught, but I do advocate it if they know they can get away with it, and people do it all the time. Working "under the table" is a form of tax evasion, but we all know people who do it. Does anyone who get's paid in cash report all the money to the IRS? You know they don't.

if the grey/loopholes are there to take, then I don't see it as cheating....

the loopholes that were put in there, just need to be closed, in many cases.
In all cases. Tax expenditures need to be completely banned. Tax rates are as high as they are because of them, and so is our federal debt.

By evasion, I am referring to:

1) Doing legal maneuvers which are designed only to not pay taxes, such as setting up trusts, moving to Canada, lease/buyback deals, that sort of thing. They are legal, but are done only to not pay taxes and for no other reason.

2) Doing grey legal maneuvers which are judgement calls. If you fight the IRS and lose, you are going to pay back taxes and interest, but probably not penalties.

By cheating, I am referring to overtly illegal maneuvers such as not declaring income.
It is very wrong. People who cheat on their taxes are the real moochers in this country.
Keeping what belongs to you is not "mooching," asshole.
Tax exemptions, deductions and credits come out of other people's pockets in the form of higher tax rates, so they most certainly are mooching.

Wrong that there are already for profit highways and tolls. And that all you've done is bloviate about how we'd be fucked over about it?

:lmao:

Yep. Dumber than a bag of hammers. Try legos, or Barbie or something. This is way too advanced for you.

Cheating, no.

I do think any rational person is perfectly justified in paying the minimal taxes he can under the tax code. The fact that it is so byzantine and riddled with loopholes, penalties, and favoritism makes the overall system quite corrupt.

Tax evasion is illegal, but I don't consider it unethical. Taxation is theft. I don't advocate that people evade taxes if there's a chance they will be caught, but I do advocate it if they know they can get away with it, and people do it all the time. Working "under the table" is a form of tax evasion, but we all know people who do it. Does anyone who get's paid in cash report all the money to the IRS? You know they don't.
So you expect the gov to pay for everything for you then? That is the very definitive of mooching.

1) Doing legal maneuvers which are designed only to not pay taxes, such as setting up trusts, moving to Canada, lease/buyback deals, that sort of thing. They are legal, but are done only to not pay taxes and for no other reason.

2) Doing grey legal maneuvers which are judgement calls. If you fight the IRS and lose, you are going to pay back taxes and interest, but probably not penalties.

By cheating, I am referring to overtly illegal maneuvers such as not declaring income.
It is very wrong. People who cheat on their taxes are the real moochers in this country.
Tax exemptions, deductions and credits come out of other people's pockets, so they most certainly are mooching.

Sure, if you believe that all money belongs to the government in the first place. Otherwise no. No they do not come from other peoples pockets.

Tax exemptions, deductions and credits come out of other people's pockets, so they most certainly are mooching.

Sure, if you believe that all money belongs to the government in the first place. Otherwise no. No they do not come from other peoples pockets.
They most certainly do come out of others' pockets. They are paid for by higher tax rates.

If two neighbors earn identical incomes, then in a balanced system they would be paying identical amounts of taxes. But if one is getting deductions, credits, or exemptions, then clearly the other person has to make up the difference to balance the budget.

Higher tax rates.

We give away $1.2 trillion per year in tax expenditures. That is an astronomical amount of mooching.

At some point, the people rebel at the tax rates that would be required to balance out that $1.2 trillion of giveaways, and so the government has to BORROW the difference.

Deficit spending.

Cheating, no.

So you expect the gov to pay for everything for you then? That is the very definitive of mooching.

I don't expect government to pay for anything. You're the one who wants government to pay for your shit. I expect each person to pay for whatever goods or services he consumes. Most of the money I pay in taxes goes to pay the bills of tics on the ass of society. It doesn't come back to me in the form of "services." If I can prevent the government from stealing some small percentage of my income, then I will do it. I couldn't give a crap whether it's legal.

They most certainly do come out of others' pockets. They are paid for by higher tax rates.

Some of you aren't very bright.

If I am selling widgets for $10 each but offer a 20% discount if you come into my store wearing blue. The guy who comes in not wearing blue hasn't paid any more because a customer who wore blue got a 20% discount.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Cheating, no.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. We live in a country with a Rule of Law. If we ourselves don't live according to it, then we have the Rule of Thugs.

If the government offers you money back on your taxes (exemptions, credits, deductions), you would be a fool to leave that money on the table. For most people, as seen right here in this topic, it never occurs to them that money came from someone else's pocket.

If the government offers you a free "Obamaphone", you would be a fool to leave that phone on the table.

This is why it amuses me to see people call those who receive free phones "moochers" when they themselves probably mooch far more money off the government on their tax forms.

Some of you aren't very bright.

If I am selling widgets for $10 each but offer a 20% discount if you come into my store wearing blue. The guy who comes in wearing blue hasn't paid any more because a customer who wore blue got a 20% discount.
You are the one who is not very bright.

You have no understanding at all how tax expenditures work.

And yes, if you offer a 20% discount to those who wear blue, and you have a 7% margin like most businesses, then you will have to make those who don't wear blue pay more than they would have.

Don't ever go into business. You will fail.

Cheating, no.

I don't expect government to pay for anything. You're the one who wants government to pay for your shit. I expect each person to pay for whatever goods or services he consumes. Most of the money I pay in taxes goes to pay the bills of tics on the ass of society. It doesn't come back to me in the form of "services." If I can prevent the government from stealing some small percentage of my income, then I will do it. I couldn't give a crap whether it's legal.
I guess you don't know how your tax dollars are allocated

thought you cared

Cheating, no.

What exactly will pay for our military if not taxes?

As long as no laws are broken use whatever is available according to the tax code.
In this way we are paying our "fair share"...
Libs don't like it write your Congressman/Congresswoman/Senator..

If the government offers you money back on your taxes (exemptions, credits, deductions), you would be a fool to leave that money on the table. For most people, as seen right here in this topic, it never occurs to them that money came from someone else's pocket.

If the government offers you a free "Obamaphone", you would be a fool to leave that phone on the table.

This is why it amuses me to see people call those who receive free phones "moochers" when they themselves probably mooch far more money off the government on their tax forms.

A completely ridiculous statement, but not surprising coming from you

tax credits cost no one anything. Personally I don't like them, but they are NOT money out of the government's pocket.

Cheating, no.

Your ability to think logically clearly isn't one of your strong suits.

You are perfectly free to write a check to the government for more than you owe according to the tax code. My paying only what is legally owed doesn't make me a mooch. I pay over 50% of what I earn in taxes to various government bodies - which makes me the victim of moochers.

A completely ridiculous statement, but not surprising coming from you

tax credits cost no one anything. Personally I don't like them, but they are NOT money out of the government's pocket.
That's right. They are not money out of the government's pocket. They are money out of other taxpayers' pockets.

As I said.

Anyone who takes a deduction, exemption, or credit is a moocher. Their tax expenditures are paid for by government borrowing and higher tax rates. This is common knowledge.

For the moochers who don't think they are moochers, here are some study materials:

The Effects of Terminating Tax Expenditures and Cutting Individual Income Tax Rates Tax Foundation

Leading members of the House and Senate tax writing committees are examining the possibility of trading a broader tax base for dramatically lower rates. Representative Dave Camp (R-MI), the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, is believed to be seeking enough revenue enhancers to lower the top corporate and individual income tax rates to 25 percent while maintaining revenue neutrality. Senators Max Baucus (D-MT) and Orrin Hatch (R-UT), the chairman and ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee, respectively, have proposed a "blank slate" approach, in which most "tax expenditures"—income tax exclusions, deductions, and credits, and other provisions that the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) classifies as preferences—would be abolished, except for those that could be convincingly defended, with the money dedicated to rate cuts and perhaps deficit reduction.

U.S. GAO - Key Issues Tax Expenditures
Tax expenditures have a significant effect on overall tax rates as well as the budget outlook. The revenue the federal government forgoes from tax expenditures reduces the tax base and requires higher tax rates to raise any given amount of revenue. In addition, tax expenditures, like any federal program spending, reduce the amount of funding available for other federal activities, increase the budget deficit, or reduce any budget surplus.

Forum List

Back