Is gay marriage the most important issue in the USA?

It isn't the hot button topic of the decade, but it IS one of the biggest civil rights issues of the decade. To gays and their allies, it is a very big, very important issue. Fortunately, we CAN address more than one issue at one time.
The only civil rights being violated is those who believe in the Christ

By being protected against discrimination in Public Accommodation in all 50 states? How awful for you.
Fascism is horrible for all you idiot. Go praise your government gods and maybe they won't slaughter you in Thier utopia

A lot of words that said nothing. Are you calling your congresscritter to have them get rid of your FEDERAL protections?
Being a pervert isn't a constitutional protected right

Where does the Constitution say "... except gays ..."

I said: is it discrimination to deny blind people the right to drive cars? .

Yes- it is legally justifiable discrimination.

Really a particularly idiotic comparison- since marriage is an actual right recognized by the Supreme Court, while driving is of course a privilage- not a right.

That being said- blind people are not denied the right to drive just because they are blind- people who cannot pass the vision test are not allowed to drive- just as people who cannot pass the driving test or the written test.

You still can't come up with an equivelent reason why homosexuals should not be able to marry.

Other than human biology and anatomy.

So you think human biology and anatomy is a reason to deny marriage to homosexuals?

Really?

That is the best you can come up with?

No wonder your side keeps losing in courts.

Yes, biology, anatomy and over 3000 years of human history. A union of two people of the same sex is not a marriage.

they should be able to legally commit to each other, but their union is not a marriage.

You are welcome to your doomed opinion.

I will instead argue for actual equality with my wife and I- rather than separate but equal.

why is it "separate" if the rights are equal. How does the word make it separate?

is a synagoge equal to a church or mosque? Just because they have different names does not make one better than the other.

So you admit that its all about the word and not about equality, rights, discrimination, or anything else. Its about using govt to force societal change to fit your minority views.

and you call that democracy?????
We don't live in a democracy, thank god, we live in a constitutional republic.

No, civil union is not the same as marriage. What makes you think civil union means marriage? There are thousands of different laws regarding marriage. Civil unions is not the same as marriage, because those thousands of laws regarding marriage do not apply.

The only government force that's been going on around here is majority groups pissing on minorities. Protecting a minority from a bully is not force, it's defense. Your argument is akin to saying a cop stopping a rape is force cause the rapist was stronger than his victim, so the victim deserved it.

the laws defining gay civil unions and man/woman marriage should be exactly the same, convey the same rights, and be recognized as equal in every way.

But thats not what you want is it?
Why two sets of laws one for civil unions and one for marriage that are the "same thing?" All this so you don't have to admit gays are "married?"

This is not about rights with you fools, its all about the word. your hypocrisy is noted.

Yeah- you seem pretty upset about a word.

Matter of fact- you seem to think that gay marriage is one of the most important issues in America- since you keep posting on the issue.

I am merely trying to understand why this issue gets so much attention. From this thread it appears that this is one issue where americans are very divided and each side holds very strong opinions on it.

Much like abortion and race.

We focus on these things and ignore the fact that radical muslim terrorists are trying to kill all of us, that our country is 18 trillion in debt, and that the mid east is a powder keg ready to explode.

I think our priorities are all fucked up thanks to the left wing media, hollywood, and idiots like obama.

The only civil rights being violated is those who believe in the Christ

By being protected against discrimination in Public Accommodation in all 50 states? How awful for you.
Fascism is horrible for all you idiot. Go praise your government gods and maybe they won't slaughter you in Thier utopia

A lot of words that said nothing. Are you calling your congresscritter to have them get rid of your FEDERAL protections?

where does the constitution use the words "gay marriage" ?

Not only does the US Constitution not provide a right to foment sexual deviancy. The Founders of the United States would have no more tolerated the normalization of such than they would set themselves on fire.

And you moral busy bodies need to stop pushing your morality on others.
How can marriage equality directly effect you? How can it directly effect your community? Does your moral code trump all others? If so, why?

It doesn't... that's why I really don't care... I just am tired of hearing about this being the hot button topic of the decade... because it isn't.

It isn't the hot button topic of the decade, but it IS one of the biggest civil rights issues of the decade. To gays and their allies, it is a very big, very important issue. Fortunately, we CAN address more than one issue at one time.

Fair enough... personally, I don't see it as a civil rights issue. But whatev... I'd like it though if we could sensibly discuss something like, I dunno, $60,000,000,000,000 in unfunded liabilities?

Go for it- start a thread on that.

Don't be like Redfish- starting threads about not talking about gay marriage- and then spending days talking about gay marriage.

That's gay.

Not only does the US Constitution not provide a right to foment sexual deviancy. The Founders of the United States would have no more tolerated the normalization of such than they would set themselves on fire.
You are not an authority, but you do have a right to your opinion. You are adorable when you stamp your feet. You are so gay.

I notice you duck the question- where does the Constitution say 'except gays'?

No, civil union is not the same as marriage. What makes you think civil union means marriage? There are thousands of different laws regarding marriage. Civil unions is not the same as marriage, because those thousands of laws regarding marriage do not apply.

The only government force that's been going on around here is majority groups pissing on minorities. Protecting a minority from a bully is not force, it's defense. Your argument is akin to saying a cop stopping a rape is force cause the rapist was stronger than his victim, so the victim deserved it.

the laws defining gay civil unions and man/woman marriage should be exactly the same, convey the same rights, and be recognized as equal in every way.

Why two sets of laws one for civil unions and one for marriage that are the "same thing?" All this so you don't have to admit gays are "married?"

This is not about rights with you fools, its all about the word. your hypocrisy is noted.

I think our priorities are all fucked up thanks to the left wing media, hollywood, and idiots like obama.

Clearly- Obama and Hollywood is why you spend so much time obsessing over gay marriage.

Clearly- Obama and Hollywood are why you spend so much time obsessing over gay marriage.

LOL......such a victim.

Really a particularly idiotic comparison- since marriage is an actual right recognized by the Supreme Court, while driving is of course a privilage- not a right.

That being said- blind people are not denied the right to drive just because they are blind- people who cannot pass the vision test are not allowed to drive- just as people who cannot pass the driving test or the written test.

You still can't come up with an equivelent reason why homosexuals should not be able to marry.

So you think human biology and anatomy is a reason to deny marriage to homosexuals?

Really?

Yes, biology, anatomy and over 3000 years of human history. A union of two people of the same sex is not a marriage.

they should be able to legally commit to each other, but their union is not a marriage.

I will instead argue for actual equality with my wife and I- rather than separate but equal.

why is it "separate" if the rights are equal. How does the word make it separate?

is a synagoge equal to a church or mosque? Just because they have different names does not make one better than the other.

Great- so we can use both the words Civil Union and marriage interchangeably- 50% of the couples who want to be united randomly get Civil Unions and the other 50% randomly are assigned marriage.

After all- its just a word.

If a civil union gives you all of the rights, priviledges, and "cash and prizes" that married couples get, what is your objection?

I thought your crusade was for equal rights, but its not really is it? You want the govenment to mandate societal acceptance of your aberant lifestyle by calling your gay union a marriage.

Why are you such an lying bitch?

Marriage is not about cash and prizes. A civil union is not a marriage. Why should government mandate that gay marriage is a civil union only?

If you want to change the thousands of laws in this country regarding marriage to state civil unions, by all means go ahead and do it. I'm not stopping you. That said, you can't deny gays the right to life, that would be against the constitution. Get over it.

cash and prizes is not my term-------it is one used by your comrades from the gay mafia every day. It is used as a justification for gay marriage.

Your words, not mine. But I am glad to see that you think it is bullshit.

LOL gay mafia- sort of like your comrades from the Christo-fascists.......

The justification for 'gay marriage' is simple- its just marriage- exactly as my wife and I are married- but between two people of the same gender.

The justification is that there is no reason to discriminate against a gay couple and deny them the exact same status as my wife and I enjoy.

13 days after Redfish whined about all the focus on gay marriage and how he was no longer going to post on it- he continues to whine about gay marriage.

LOL......this thread is hilarious.

I notice you duck the question- where does the Constitution say 'except gays'?

what constitutional rights are not given to gays? answer: none.

Nor can you come up with a valid reason why same sex siblings over the age of majority should not be allowed to marry. We have been waiting for that answer for several days.

BTW, incest is an act, not a method of cohabitation.
Are you saying marriage is nothing but co-habitation? Who's trying to redefine marriage now?

I was responding to your claim that same sex sibling marriage would be incest. If two sisters marry but never engage in sexual contact how can it be incest? Even if they did occaisionally engage in a mutual lick fest, would that be incest?
Incest is against the law, not lesbian sex acts.

LOL earlier you said that same sex sibling marriage was incest. Now its not. make up your mind.

Where did I say same sex sibling marriage was not incest? Seriously, are you severely mentally handicapped in some way that we all need to know about?

Because, no one can be as dumb as you are pretending. Or am I wrong?

13 days after Redfish whined about all the focus on gay marriage and how he was no longer going to post on it- he continues to whine about gay marriage.

You, and the other posters confirmed my hypothesis, that gay marriage is a dividing issue in this country today. People on both sides have good arguments and feel strongly about them.

We just disagree----------------------

Now, what do people in a representative democracy do when they disagree about a societal issue? They, or their elected representatives, vote on it and the side getting the most votes prevails.

The will of the people should decide this. Will you accept the will of the people? I will, but I want the people to have their say on it.

If a civil union gives you all of the rights, priviledges, and "cash and prizes" that married couples get, what is your objection?

I thought your crusade was for equal rights, but its not really is it? You want the govenment to mandate societal acceptance of your aberant lifestyle by calling your gay union a marriage.

Why are you such an lying bitch?

Marriage is not about cash and prizes. A civil union is not a marriage. Why should government mandate that gay marriage is a civil union only?

If you want to change the thousands of laws in this country regarding marriage to state civil unions, by all means go ahead and do it. I'm not stopping you. That said, you can't deny gays the right to life, that would be against the constitution. Get over it.

It's not? What is it then? Specifically
Please speak in full sentences.

You, and the other posters confirmed my hypothesis, that gay marriage is a dividing issue in this country today. People on both sides have good arguments and feel strongly about them.

Now, what do people in a representative democracy do when they disagree about a societal issue? They, or their elected representatives, vote on it and the side getting the most votes prevails.

The will of the people should decide this. Will you accept the will of the people? I will, but I want the people to have their say on it.
No, ya dumb ass. We live in a constitutional republic, not a representative democracy.

Nor can you come up with a valid reason why same sex siblings over the age of majority should not be allowed to marry. We have been waiting for that answer for several days.

BTW, incest is an act, not a method of cohabitation.
Are you saying marriage is nothing but co-habitation? Who's trying to redefine marriage now?

I was responding to your claim that same sex sibling marriage would be incest. If two sisters marry but never engage in sexual contact how can it be incest? Even if they did occaisionally engage in a mutual lick fest, would that be incest?
Incest is against the law, not lesbian sex acts.

LOL earlier you said that same sex sibling marriage was incest. Now its not. make up your mind.

Where did I say same sex sibling marriage was not incest? Seriously, are you severely mentally handicapped in some way that we all need to know about?

Because, no one can be as dumb as you are pretending. Or am I wrong?

in red above

Really?

Great- so we can use both the words Civil Union and marriage interchangeably- 50% of the couples who want to be united randomly get Civil Unions and the other 50% randomly are assigned marriage.

After all- its just a word.

Must be, I offered up a proposal that Marriage was simply a piece of paper that related to the joining of a man to a woman, with no governmental benefits at all, and a seperate civil union that both gay or straights could participate in that had all the benefits of what are currently in marriage.

Dear Lord, the progressives ate me for lunch........

No, ya dumb ass. We live in a constitutional republic, not a representative democracy.

its the same thing, you fricken moron.

Forum List

Back