Is healthcare a right? why or why not?

For all the accusations that the right is trying to force its morals on everyone, the left is every bit as guilty of the same. Just a different set of morals.

Totally agree.

I have to make one point here too....When I am talking about helping the worse off...I am talking about people in a position to not help themselves..The sick, the elderly...the people who have lost their jobs and are actually doing all in their power to find something else. I am not talking about those lazy assholes who want to sit at home and live off the state...who think it is the duty of everyone in the country to look after them...I see a big difference in the two groups.

How sad..you feel the need to belittle everyone.....that is quite pathetic really. Just because I happen to have different beliefs than you makes me a dumbass....lol....I pity you, I truly do.

You are entitled to your opinion...I have a different value set than you...I happen to fall into Obama's "Rich" category, but I remember where I came from...I remember my Dad working 3 jobs and my Mom 2...I am willing to help those less fortunate than myself, because I believe that it not always their fault that they are in the circumstances that they are and because of their situation,...it is not always within their capabilities to pick themselves up without a little help.

One of the basic differences between us is the fact that I see nothing wrong with offering that little help, where as you see them as "need to be a huge, sucking burden on society". I am not talking about people who are too lazy to get off their rear ends and fend for themselves (of which there are many and who should receive not a penny)...I am talking about people who are unable too.

Let's see, what is that response again? Oh, yeah. Grow the hell up, little boy. The only person here who's impressed with your "great life wisdom" and "moral rectitude" is you. To me, you're just a spoiled adolescent mouthing off at the family dinner table.

I'm very, very tired of you wasting my time with your empty posts about "old people are so stupid". If your next post is in the same vein, simply assume that I have ignored you as I do all ill-mannered children when they throw tantrums, because I won't even bother to tell you at that point.

It's true what they say. It's a damned shame that teenagers never move out of their parents' houses while they still know everything. :lol:

It should be a right. That doesn't mean doctors shouldn't get paid well either. And that doesn't mean you shouldn't pay a copay. Or if you get a cold and go to the doctor, you should pay. But if you have cancer or aids, you should get the best treatment no matter how broke you are.

With all the baby boomers getting old, the next new business is going to be elderly care. The Corporations that are buying these new business' want to drain our grandparents and parents of their life savings. So all you people who hate the death tax? Don't worry about it, because your parents won't have anything left to leave you.

And having corporations taking care of our elderly is a scary thought. They'll cut and cut to maximize profits and that'll mean hiring people for $7 hr. to take care of us when we get old.

Do not expect to die with dignity.

Healthcare, like the oil companies, like the energy companies, like the auto companies, all got too greedy. All they care about it maximizing profits. You and I are a cost to them.

It is sad the way this country moved. Thank god the pendulum is swinging back.

Let's see, what is that response again? Oh, yeah. Grow the hell up, little boy. The only person here who's impressed with your "great life wisdom" and "moral rectitude" is you. To me, you're just a spoiled adolescent mouthing off at the family dinner table.

I'm very, very tired of you wasting my time with your empty posts about "old people are so stupid". If your next post is in the same vein, simply assume that I have ignored you as I do all ill-mannered children when they throw tantrums, because I won't even bother to tell you at that point.

It's true what they say. It's a damned shame that teenagers never move out of their parents' houses while they still know everything. :lol:

Let me define adolescent for you: A person between the age of puberty and adulthood...NOPE, not me.....not by a long way...left that group more than half a lifetime ago.

I would never have mouthed off at the family dinner table...I have way to much respect for my family.

Your tired of me wasting your time....the phrase pot calling the kettle black comes to mind...but hey...just don't answer then. I am finding it fun.

But hey...like anyone loosing an argument....carry on with the personal insults.....if that makes you feel important and worthwhile. :blahblah:

Why do I ask? To me it seems to be the most fundamental part of why some advocate for universal health care and why some advocate for privatized healthcare. Every candidate on the dem ticket has a plan of some type for of universal or government run healthcare. So I have to think that most of them think it is a right. By extension then people basically have the right to good health it would seem.

The problem I have with it being a right is the concept of a 'right' itself. A 'right' like the right to free speech or right to bear arms is something that is provided you without any cost or requirment to obtain access to. You don't have to earn the right to free speech or pay a fee when you want to speak. The conundrum I have with healthcare is if it is your right, that is you are under no personal responsibility to provide it for yourself, then who's responsibility is it, and why? If I'm not paying for the services somone else must be. According to Hillary anyway that will be increased taxes on the rich. But wait healthcare is a right, so why should the rich be expected to pay for it? It's a right so isn't it suppossed to be free to them as well? Why should they be worried about their own health as well as those that can't pay for it?

Rush had a caller on today who was a female physician and basically asked the same question. Why is she, a provider of a service like any other service, expected to provide it a reduced rate or free all together? You can't control all aspects of your health anymore than you can control all aspects of your car working, but we expect people to pay to have their own car fixed even if not responsible for the problem, yet some have this expectation that when 'shit happens' where your health is concerned it's suppossed to be free to get 'fixed'.

The problem with the argument against some type of guaranteed healthcare plan is that it makes an assumption that many people will receive the benefits absolutely free. The truth of the matter is that if you are really poor, you will receive free healthcare through some type of government program. The ones who don't get the healthcare are those who work but don't earn enough to pay for adequate healthcare. Why should they go without, while those who don't work at all get the free ride?

Those against national healthcare tell us that with that type of healthcare, the quality of care is not as good. Why is it then, that Americans don't live longer than anyone else in the world. In fact, our average lifespan lags behind most countries that offer some type of guaranteed healthcare. On top of that, we pay 50% to 100% more than those in other countries because of all the flaws in our system.

Countries that offere guaranteed healthcare force all of their citizens to pay for that healthcare through taxation. Yes, the wealthy do pay a greater share, but everyone pays; no one gets a free ride. We are now paying $7200 per year per person for healthcare. If you consider that nearly 50 million are paying nothing for healthcare, then the cost per person increases to $8800 per person per year. That includes every adult and child in the US. Want more bad news? The rates are increasing by double digits every year. Before long, the vast majority of Americans will no longer be able to afford any healthcare period. Then the wealthy will be paying even more.

I am by no means a Democrat or liberal thinking type. However, healthcare is not going to get better by leaving it the way it is. In the US, we are spending 16% of GDP on healthcare. Within ten years, that numbers is expected to jump to 20% of GDP, while other leading countries throughout the world are paying around 10% of GDP, and we are wondering why no one can afford their mortgage payment or afford to buy a new car.

It is a right? probably not. Is it something that the richest most powerful nation on earth ought to provide to its citizenry? I would say so.

It does and has for years through private industry and through county, state, and government. Its been that way for years.

Did anyone ever establish the criteria by which it could be judged as a right ?

If you don't bring up Rush you deny us on the left the pleasure of mocking him. Please feel free to bring him up whenever you wish :D

Society ought to ensure healthcare is available to all its citizens. How it should be funded is the moot point so, as usual, Rush is wrong. Ah, the pleasure :D

Healthcare IS available to all citizens. All you need to do is pay for it. :)

No healthcare is free? 'coz is for human's life :)..

I don't think so. But my criteria, which you can take or leave, is that a right is something you are entitled to that does not require something be taken from someone else to obtain.

Last edited:

I don't think so. But my criteria, which you can take or leave, is that a right is something you are entitled to that does not require something be taken from someone else to obtain.

That has generally been my qualification too.

There are other qualifications too.

Most rights, as we talk about them, are negative rights. That would be freedom from. This as opposed to a positive right which is a "right to" something.

It's a right if people say it is. That's how rights become rights.

It is more like "It's a right if 5 of the 9 MIB" say it is.

Not that I agree with this approach. But it seems to be the order of the day.

If you don't bring up Rush you deny us on the left the pleasure of mocking him. Please feel free to bring him up whenever you wish :D

Society ought to ensure healthcare is available to all its citizens. How it should be funded is the moot point so, as usual, Rush is wrong. Ah, the pleasure :D

Healthcare IS available to all citizens. All you need to do is pay for it. :)

No healthcare is free? 'coz is for human's life :)..

There's no such thing as "free". Someone, somewhere, is paying for it, even if you're not. So the question becomes, who has more interest and obligation in paying for YOUR health care than YOU?

There's no such thing as "free". Someone, somewhere, is paying for it, even if you're not. So the question becomes, who has more interest and obligation in paying for YOUR health care than YOU?

While I agree this one question that needs to be asked, I would also suggest that it isn't the only one.

One of the things I keep going back to is "What is the definition of Health Care ?". In other words....if the Obama administration has the goal of health care for everyone, how will they know they have achieved it ?

While I agree this one question that needs to be asked, I would also suggest that it isn't the only one.

One of the things I keep going back to is "What is the definition of Health Care ?". In other words....if the Obama administration has the goal of health care for everyone, how will they know they have achieved it ?

Seem to me the only way you could define it, is when everyone gets the care they need regardless of their ability to pay.

Forum List

Back