Is healthcare a right? why or why not?

There's no such thing as "free". Someone, somewhere, is paying for it, even if you're not. So the question becomes, who has more interest and obligation in paying for YOUR health care than YOU?

While I agree this one question that needs to be asked, I would also suggest that it isn't the only one.

One of the things I keep going back to is "What is the definition of Health Care ?". In other words....if the Obama administration has the goal of health care for everyone, how will they know they have achieved it ?

Oh, honey, the left doesn't need to know when they've achieved it, because they will never have achieved their goals. They just keep moving the goalposts to include more and more stuff.

Health should not be a right, because it is inconsistent with the independence to ensure the right "to pursue" happiness, not happiness or the right to free medical services Declaration. "

If health care is deemed a right then the government is obligated to make sure there are enough physicians to care for everyone.

What if there aren't enough doctors to guarantee everyone's right to health care does the government force people to go to med school?

I mean if the government can force us to buy health insurance, surely it can force people to pay for med school no?

If health care were, in fact, considered to be a right........we'd probably have a much healthier populace and require fewer physicians. Prevntive care would be maximized.

The semantics battle over the word "right" serves to muddy the water when it comes to this topic.

As a healthy middle-class American, I would like to know that my neighbors and others in my community were in good health. I think it makes the country a better place....and a more productive place.....when our citizens are healthy.

Well, it depends. Morally? Yes Legally? Maybe not.

I agree with you. Morally, yes, we have a right to healthcare. Or perhaps it would be more precise to say, morally we have a responsibility to make sure everyone has access to the healthcare they need.

I know I don't want to live in a country where people fade away and die of illnesses simply because they don't have enough money to pay for treatment. That's a little too barbaric for my liking.

It's by the way we treat the weakest amongst us that the level of our civilization can be measured.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as "free". Someone, somewhere, is paying for it, even if you're not. So the question becomes, who has more interest and obligation in paying for YOUR health care than YOU?

While I agree this one question that needs to be asked, I would also suggest that it isn't the only one.

One of the things I keep going back to is "What is the definition of Health Care ?". In other words....if the Obama administration has the goal of health care for everyone, how will they know they have achieved it ?

Seem to me the only way you could define it, is when everyone gets the care they need regardless of their ability to pay.

I hear that a great deal.

So lets take a deeper look at this with a few more questions.

How will you know you achieved you goal ?

Who decides what health care they "need" ?

Seem to me the only way you could define it, is when everyone gets the care they need regardless of their ability to pay.

I hear that a great deal.

So lets take a deeper look at this with a few more questions.

How will you know you achieved you goal ?

Who decides what health care they "need" ?

And those questions are the problem. Especially the last one. Or at least they highlight the problem of someone else paying for it. The more an individual directly handles there own health care, whether through premiums or paying out of pocket in some fashion, the less we have to deal with some third part beauracracy arbitrarily answering those questions for us.

If health care were, in fact, considered to be a right........we'd probably have a much healthier populace and require fewer physicians. Prevntive care would be maximized.

The semantics battle over the word "right" serves to muddy the water when it comes to this topic.

As a healthy middle-class American, I would like to know that my neighbors and others in my community were in good health. I think it makes the country a better place....and a more productive place.....when our citizens are healthy.

Amazingly enough, your idea of an ideal world, where you can "know" whatever it is that will make you feel good, does not actually constitute a "right" of any sort, for you or anyone else.

Life's imperfect, and always will be. The universe pays no attention whatsoever to any attempts by humans to legislate cosmic justice, and the sooner you grow up and accept these adult facts, the less time you will spend making life worse for others.

Sure, why not.

We have all this technology, but as a society we are fat.

The medical community is concerned about the rate of diabetes, heart disease, not to mention all the knee and hip replacements that will result because something like 35% of our contry is FAT.

So, do we tell them they can't be fat (fine them) or do we allow them the right to get fat and then force others to pay for all that extra needed care ?

No. Health Care is not a right if you think it's free. Sure, if you are ill or dying, you'll be taken care of, but you are responsible for the bill.

This country has got to learn that we are responsible for ourselves. That goes for our healthcare, too.Stop with the Gimmee Gimmee Gimmee

Last edited:
Again....the nutters think that people want it to be free. That is not the case. It has never been the case. It never will be the case.

Nobody is seeking FREE health care.

No....you are failing to understand the concept of "country".

Go to Japan, or Sweden...France, Germany, Canada........and ask the citizens there...EVERY SINGLE ONE OF WHOM HAS ACCESS TO QUALITY HEALTH CARE...if they think it is free.

You are either unwilling to learn the truth or willing to be full of shit. Which is it.

The answe is no, there is no real debate just others wanting to take from someone else what is not theirs for no other reason than "I want it."

Maybe I should ask... when you say it should be a right, do you mean a "natural right?" Or do you mean it should be a law, like "That person is sick, you all get to pay to make him better."

Maybe I should ask... when you say it should be a right, do you mean a "natural right?" Or do you mean it should be a law, like "That person is sick, you all get to pay to make him better."

I never said anything about rights. I said that thinking, reasonable people know that universal health care is not free....and then you said that people want YOU to pay for them. You are wrong. People want to be responsible for themselves.......and others..by paying for affordable access.

You would be OK with someone who has no money having sub-standard or no health care. That is because you are troubled.

Forum List

Back