Is it fair to blame junk food companies for people being overweight?

Wrong. If you have a genetic situation where you pack on pounds readily, you have to adjust for it. It's STILL your fault for getting fat. Yes, it might suck only being able to eat 500 calories a day, but if you know that you'll get fat if you eat more and you willfully eat more food, whose fault is that exactly? The ONLY way its not your fault for being fat is if someone handcuffed you to a bed and shoved food down your throat at gunpoint. If you picked up the fork on your own, its your own fault.

If I can only eat 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight but I eat 2500 and I gain, it's nobody's fault but my own. It doesn't matter what some chart says you're supposed to eat. If you eat so much food and you start seeing yourself getting fat, cut back and exercise. Just saying "I eat this much food because I'M SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO" doesn't mean anything if, in the end, your ass is wider than a freight train. You eat what you're supposed to. Everyone has different metabolism. You can only eat so much, so eat that much. Eating more than that with an excuse is just that, an excuse.

If the a normal diet is 2000 calories and someone eats only 500 and still gets fat, how is it their fault that they are fat? You suggest that they should eat even less, but how is a long-term starvation diet going to keep them healthy, particularly when they may be healthy despite being overweight? Many people have slow metabolisms and other genetic disorders that hinder their ability to shed fat. Others have the wrong microbiota in their guts, and a lot of the reason for that is all the damned antibiotics in our foods.

And how many morbidly obese people eat only 500 calories a day?

Calling an outlier the norm is just a little disingenuous isn't it?

Anyway you look at it, obesity is abnormal. The fact of the matter is that it is much more complicated than many people realize. And contrary to the opinion of some here, it is a recognized medical condition. I'm not making excuses for anyone here anymore than I am making excuses for autistic children because they are autistic.

Wrong. If you have a genetic situation where you pack on pounds readily, you have to adjust for it. It's STILL your fault for getting fat. Yes, it might suck only being able to eat 500 calories a day, but if you know that you'll get fat if you eat more and you willfully eat more food, whose fault is that exactly? The ONLY way its not your fault for being fat is if someone handcuffed you to a bed and shoved food down your throat at gunpoint. If you picked up the fork on your own, its your own fault.

If I can only eat 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight but I eat 2500 and I gain, it's nobody's fault but my own. It doesn't matter what some chart says you're supposed to eat. If you eat so much food and you start seeing yourself getting fat, cut back and exercise. Just saying "I eat this much food because I'M SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO" doesn't mean anything if, in the end, your ass is wider than a freight train. You eat what you're supposed to. Everyone has different metabolism. You can only eat so much, so eat that much. Eating more than that with an excuse is just that, an excuse.

If the a normal diet is 2000 calories and someone eats only 500 and still gets fat, how is it their fault that they are fat? You suggest that they should eat even less, but how is a long-term starvation diet going to keep them healthy, particularly when they may be healthy despite being overweight? Many people have slow metabolisms and other genetic disorders that hinder their ability to shed fat. Others have the wrong microbiota in their guts, and a lot of the reason for that is all the damned antibiotics in our foods.

Anyway you look at it, obesity is abnormal. The fact of the matter is that it is much more complicated than many people realize. And contrary to the opinion of some here, it is a recognized medical condition. I'm not making excuses for anyone here anymore than I am making excuses for autistic children because they are autistic.

One cannot control the physicality or the neuro-chemical balance of their brains.

One can control what they eat and how much exercise they get.

If you want to make that comparison ... If autistic people are autistic ... Then fat people are fat ... And it isn't anyone's fault?

It's your own fault if you're fat. PERIOD.

I'm fixing to have chili cheese fries and a hot dog for dinner. But not from some shitty fast food restaurant, homemade so I can somewhat control the ingredients, AND tomorrow I'll be up at 5 AM getting ready for my morning run.

I eat whatever I want and at age 43 weigh 5 pounds more than I did when I graduated high school.

Excuse me Bear but, obesity is not and never has been simply a matter or personal control. There are genetic, biochemical, as well as microbiological reasons why people become obese. I would point you to links but I seriously doubt that you are interested in reading up on the matter, so I will leave you with a suggestion - check your facts before you post. I will also remind you that this is the clean debate zone. Be nice.

People wanting to blame anything they can when the cause of their obesity is because they can't push away from the table seems to be easy. There are medical things that can make being obese more likely but not putting the fork down is not one of them.

One cannot control the physicality or the neuro-chemical balance of their brains.

One can control what they eat and how much exercise they get.

That's what I told him. If the people who want to blame all sorts of things for their obesity would spend half as much time pushing away from the table or exercising as they do finding excuses, they might not be obese.

I'll put it flatly. It isn't what you eat, it's how much you eat. You can eat so much you overwhelm your body...
That Is commendable!! I know people who have struggled with losing weight and none regretted going through the hassle of changing habits. You seem to have a handle on things and getting started is always the hardest part.

For anyone else who wants to make a change, follow this diet:

Eat every three hours. Pick two different fruits each day. Anything except bananas. Pick a few different vegetables each day. No carrots. Choose different lean meats- chicken, ham, turkey or fish. Meat must weigh 4- 5 ounces. Unlimited vegetables. Seasoning okay, but no sauces. No sugar, pasta or bread for first month. No fruit juice since you are eating only fresh fruits. You can have coffee or tea, but no cream or sugar. No milk. No alcohol. No soda, not even diet.

Example of meals for one day:

1st meal. 1 peach, 4-5 oz. of lean ham
2nd meal. 4-5 oz. of turkey, unlimited tomatoes
3rd meal. 1 orange, 4-5 oz. of chicken
4th meal. 4-5 oz. of fish, unlimited cucumbers

If you are awake for a 5th meal, choose another vegetable and 4-5 oz. of meat or fish.

Drink lots of water. Only eat what is on above menu.

After the first month, you can add a few things. You can have two hard boiled eggs in the morning instead of meat. You can make a wrap sandwich with the meat and lettuce or spinach.

This diet, if adhered to, will change your metabolism and you will lose fat and keep it off. Best part is you won't be hungry and the diet is healthy.

I'm serious, I know quite a few people who have done this diet and they wish they would have done it sooner. If anyone here wants to slim down, I dare you to try this.

Carrots?? What's the issue with carrots? :confused:

I agree about the fruit, and I did much of this in shedding 65 lbs since last winter. The main first thing I did was to give up on wheat. That accounted for half the weight loss all by itself, and I knew it would from having done it before. But I'm not strict about it, will slip some occasional pasta and cereal. I don't hold back on eggs at all and I really don't skimp if it's a protein meal. I can pig out and still lose weight as long as it's not a meal of carbs. Besides wheat the other thing I had to change was eating too late at night and then going to sleep before it had a chance to burn. Those two things were the main strategy.

Carrots are too sweet naturally. Same with bananas.

Each person is different and it's a matter of sticking to a diet. On the diet I posted, people get encouraged right away because it actually works and they don't have to starve or live on rice cakes. It seems like people are more apt to stick to a diet if they can see results fairly soon and some get to the point where they are obsessed with losing weight. My hubby once just cut the sugar from his coffee and lost weight. It's easier with guys. Anyway, good for you for finding something that works and sticking to it. I hope it inspires others to give it a shot.

Oh, and since the companies apparently get credit or blame for the results of the food you eat, be sure to send thank you cards to whatever companies sell the fruits and veggies you eat. After all, they would get the blame if their food made you fat, right?

I see a lot of commercials for those healthy vegetables and fruits. Since one poster here believes that the companies all brainwash you with marketing tricks, why don't more people get suckered into buying more peas and green beans with all those Green Giant and Del Monte commercials? Hmmm, I am beginning to think that individuals ultimately make their own choices and marketing just doesn't always work.

That's an interesting point -- produce doesn't get advertised. And no, a can of Green Giant peas doesn't count, nor is that really advertised either. Fruit doesn't get advertised. At the most these real foods might be mentioned in the supermarket flyer, and even then only what their prices are.

Nobody advertises carrots; they advertise Hot Pockets. Nobody advertises celery; they advertise Otis Splukmeyer muffins complete with 32 grams of fat. Nobody markets pears or plums or grapefruit; what they market is McNuggets and chicken wings in sugar sauce and microwaveable plastic platters and the idea that you can save all that horribly creative time in the kitchen, because we'll it for you and give you a drive-through so you don't even have to leave your car and suffer the degradation of walking 40 feet into the store.

As I keep saying -- advertising exists only to convince us to buy crap we don't need. But to pretend this sort of deception isn't dishonest -- is just dishonest.
Only stupid people buy stuff they don't need because of an ad.

To pretend otherwise is what is dishonest.

That's the entire purpose of advertising -- to convince you to buy something you don't need. When it's something you do need --- you already know that.

Further, "what consumers buy" is only half the picture, so pretending it's the whole ball of wax is dishonest in itself; the other half being the supplier.

Example: You're on a long drive, say several hours. You get a bit hungry but don't have the time to stop for a meal. You also need gas, so at the gas station you scan the snack possibilities. Let me know what you see in that convenience store that isn't deep fried, corn syrup drowned, sugared, salted, saturated-fat-laden, hyperprocessed absolute bullshit food. Rotsa ruck.

While advertising may be to convince you to buy something, whether or not you do it is up to you. The advertisement itself doesn't make you buy it. Your decision does.

What exactly stops people from receiving food stamps from buying healthy food?

Not always possible. A single mother for example, live in rented rooms or motels, no access to a kitchen, maybe just a microwave. After working at a low paying job, maybe on her feet all day, Pick the kid up at school, stop at McDonalds. Still have to go home, get ready for the next day, help kid with homework, bathe kid. I've seen so much of it. Even myself, sometimes worked two jobs, fast food the only thing I had energy for.
Cop out excuse, no time, no energy...I work three jobs and still make time to prepare meals for myself. I've made that decision precisely because of what I have learned about processed, packaged foods. If nothing else, you make a couple of meals on your day off and freeze portions for later in the week, when time is at a premium.

Somehow, you working three jobs, and still have time to do healthy meals, I wonder. Well when I did two jobs, one full time,one part time, I had the energy for fast food and sleep, period. Were you trying to raise kids by yourself as well, living in places like the single moms do that I used as my example? Maybe rented rooms or even garages, no cooking facilities? McDonalds and cup of soup is usually the meal of the day.
Maybe the damned single moms that are ruining the country with their out of control spawn ought to be sterilized after the first free kid.

Maybe the men who made them pregnant, the men who forced her to have the baby and the men who control poverty wages ought to take some of that responsibility.

No kid is "free" and it takes two to make one.

The single mothers are doing their job, some better than others. Where are the fathers?

Go after the dead beat dads and/or the fathers who run out on their families.

Even if you choose to hate the women, helping single parent families is an investment in our own country's future.

I wish they would go after the deadbeat dads so the rest of us that didn't get the pussy wouldn't be forced to pay for the results of the one that did and now isn't doing his part.

Let the dads invest in their own families. That's what I do. Nothing wrong with expecting others to do the same and saying no when they don't.

I'll put it flatly. It isn't what you eat, it's how much you eat. You can eat so much you overwhelm your body...
Carrots?? What's the issue with carrots? :confused:

I agree about the fruit, and I did much of this in shedding 65 lbs since last winter. The main first thing I did was to give up on wheat. That accounted for half the weight loss all by itself, and I knew it would from having done it before. But I'm not strict about it, will slip some occasional pasta and cereal. I don't hold back on eggs at all and I really don't skimp if it's a protein meal. I can pig out and still lose weight as long as it's not a meal of carbs. Besides wheat the other thing I had to change was eating too late at night and then going to sleep before it had a chance to burn. Those two things were the main strategy.

Each person is different and it's a matter of sticking to a diet. On the diet I posted, people get encouraged right away because it actually works and they don't have to starve or live on rice cakes. It seems like people are more apt to stick to a diet if they can see results fairly soon and some get to the point where they are obsessed with losing weight. My hubby once just cut the sugar from his coffee and lost weight. It's easier with guys. Anyway, good for you for finding something that works and sticking to it. I hope it inspires others to give it a shot.

Oh, and since the companies apparently get credit or blame for the results of the food you eat, be sure to send thank you cards to whatever companies sell the fruits and veggies you eat. After all, they would get the blame if their food made you fat, right?

I see a lot of commercials for those healthy vegetables and fruits. Since one poster here believes that the companies all brainwash you with marketing tricks, why don't more people get suckered into buying more peas and green beans with all those Green Giant and Del Monte commercials? Hmmm, I am beginning to think that individuals ultimately make their own choices and marketing just doesn't always work.

That's an interesting point -- produce doesn't get advertised. And no, a can of Green Giant peas doesn't count, nor is that really advertised either. Fruit doesn't get advertised. At the most these real foods might be mentioned in the supermarket flyer, and even then only what their prices are.

Nobody advertises carrots; they advertise Hot Pockets. Nobody advertises celery; they advertise Otis Splukmeyer muffins complete with 32 grams of fat. Nobody markets pears or plums or grapefruit; what they market is McNuggets and chicken wings in sugar sauce and microwaveable plastic platters and the idea that you can save all that horribly creative time in the kitchen, because we'll it for you and give you a drive-through so you don't even have to leave your car and suffer the degradation of walking 40 feet into the store.

As I keep saying -- advertising exists only to convince us to buy crap we don't need. But to pretend this sort of deception isn't dishonest -- is just dishonest.

That's the entire purpose of advertising -- to convince you to buy something you don't need. When it's something you do need --- you already know that.

Further, "what consumers buy" is only half the picture, so pretending it's the whole ball of wax is dishonest in itself; the other half being the supplier.

Example: You're on a long drive, say several hours. You get a bit hungry but don't have the time to stop for a meal. You also need gas, so at the gas station you scan the snack possibilities. Let me know what you see in that convenience store that isn't deep fried, corn syrup drowned, sugared, salted, saturated-fat-laden, hyperprocessed absolute bullshit food. Rotsa ruck.

While advertising may be to convince you to buy something, whether or not you do it is up to you. The advertisement itself doesn't make you buy it. Your decision does.
All decisions are influenced by factors outside of your mind. If those factors consist of only advertising, your mind is made up before you even realize it. In essence a true assessment of the facts is much too difficult to investigate in order to make a snap decision.

All decisions are influenced by factors outside of your mind. If those factors consist of only advertising, your mind is made up before you even realize it. In essence a true assessment of the facts is much too difficult to investigate in order to make a snap decision.

The decision whether or not to buy is up to you. Saying anything other than that shows you are easily influenced. Knowing what you believe on other topics is proof. Some of us think for ourselves. You admit someone or something else does it for you. How sad to be such a simple minded jerkoff.

The decision whether or not to buy is up to you. Saying anything other than that shows you are easily influenced. Knowing what you believe on other topics is proof. Some of us think for ourselves. You admit someone or something else does it for you. How sad to be such a simple minded jerkoff.
A decision made with a lack of information or in the absence of information is not up to you. You have to eat. That is not in question. The food companies purposefully hide everything they legally can. Your inability to understand that proves you have a dearth of intelligence.

Uh, no. It's not fair to blame junk food companies for people being overweight. Who writes this stuff ??

Considering the ONLY link I find about this "addictive sweetner" is at the doctoroz website, I'll call bullshit on this.

Considering the ONLY link I find about this "addictive sweetner" is at the doctoroz website, I'll call bullshit on this.
Doesnt matter what you call. The fact the tobacco company got caught putting addictive chemicals in their cigarettes should make you realize this is real issue.

Uh, no. It's not fair to blame junk food companies for people being overweight. Who writes this stuff ??
People that know the food companies put addictive ingredients in your food.

The New Hidden Soda Sweetener Pt 1 - The Addictive New Ingredient Hiding in Your Food The Dr. Oz Show

How do you know?
Got lucky enough to see an article and investigated it.

I mean, how can you tell which companies are doing this?

Forum List

Back