Is it wrong to be proud of your ancestors that fought for the Confederacy?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Is it wrong to be proud of your ancestors?
Are men like Jefferson Davis, Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson to be "vilified" like Hitler; to the point where their names are being eradicated from schools, roads etc.?

No. No more than being ashamed of those who had slaves.

Consider the times.

But, needless to say, I would be very ashamed of anyone who still believes that Blacks are inferior to whites.

Thinking about the silliness of Ben Affleck being ashamed of his family history of owning slaves. I'm researching two incredible scandals in my own family's history. Answers are hard to find because people have been ashamed of what was done long before they were born. I believe we have no responsibility for what our ancestors did.

When I lived /grew up in the Midwest I was so glad we kicked the South's ass, but the 11 years I have been down here now, I realize now it was more then just the slavery issue.

The way I see it now, the North wanted to progress and destroy the land/environment through industry and the south wanted to conserve the land/the simple life.

Its like this to this day, all these rednecks down here love nature and you can't blame them. With just understanding the topography of the land here...

They don't want this place to be like New York , Chicago or Detroit.

Are men like Jefferson Davis, Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson to be "vilified" like Hitler; to the point where their names are being eradicated from schools, roads etc.?
Seriously .... really?? ...... pleeeeeeez .........are you kidding?? ......... Look, you can NOT eradicate hatred, racism, bitterness, prejudices, low self-esteem, feeling of mistreatment, nor social division, it's impossible. Haters are going to hate, feelings of superiority are going to remain, and solving race issues are basically many decades down the road, if that soon. Removing anything associated with slavery, the Civil War, the men that fought and died in that war, the recorded history of that era, and the remaining reminders of American history, is NOT going to solve one single thing, nor a single issue facing this once great nation. You can NOT erase memories, history, and blood lines.

Always be proud of your roots, else you'll live in shame, which would be self-punishment undeserved. Never think less of yourself due to the actions of past relatives, regardless of how distant they may be. No one should be judged by what others do, or have done. No one living today had anything to do with slavery, the Civil War, nor the cruel inhumane treatment of others during that time period. In my opinion, the resurrecting of the Civil War is non-productive, will never accomplish what some expect it to, nor prove to be beneficial to the mending of obvious racial tensions in this country.

America has bigger fish to fry, and directing attention away from TODAY's serious issues, is a waste of time, energy, and emotions. We should be working together to solve problems that have taken away opportunities, and have caused social and economic deterioration among all races and nationalities. Keeping the Civil War alive is shameful, non-productive, and socially damaging to possible unification of ALL Americans. Please, I beg of you, let a dead dog lay. Neither be a partaker, nor an instigator of social strife and division. Thanks.

When I lived /grew up in the Midwest I was so glad we kicked the South's ass, but the 11 years I have been down here now, I realize now it was more then just the slavery issue.

The way I see it now, the North wanted to progress and destroy the land/environment through industry and the south wanted to conserve the land/the simple life.

Its like this to this day, all these rednecks down here love nature and you can't blame them. With just understanding the topography of the land here...

Very few do, north or south.

Very few do, north or south.
I see it way different now, I get why the South did it.

Seriously .... really?? ...... pleeeeeeez .........are you kidding?? ......... Look, you can NOT eradicate hatred, racism, bitterness, prejudices, low self-esteem, feeling of mistreatment, nor social division, it's impossible. Haters are going to hate, feelings of superiority are going to remain, and solving race issues are basically many decades down the road, if that soon. Removing anything associated with slavery, the Civil War, the men that fought and died in that war, the recorded history of that era, and the remaining reminders of American history, is NOT going to solve one single thing, nor a single issue facing this once great nation. You can NOT erase memories, history, and blood lines.

Always be proud of your roots, else you'll live in shame, which would be self-punishment undeserved. Never think less of yourself due to the actions of past relatives, regardless of how distant they may be. No one should be judged by what others do, or have done. No one living today had anything to do with slavery, the Civil War, nor the cruel inhumane treatment of others during that time period. In my opinion, the resurrecting of the Civil War is non-productive, will never accomplish what some expect it to, nor prove to be beneficial to the mending of obvious racial tensions in this country.

America has bigger fish to fry, and directing attention away from TODAY's serious issues, is a waste of time, energy, and emotions. We should be working together to solve problems that have taken away opportunities, and have caused social and economic deterioration among all races and nationalities. Keeping the Civil War alive is shameful, non-productive, and socially damaging to possible unification of ALL Americans. Please, I beg of you, let a dead dog lay. Neither be a partaker, nor an instigator of social strife and division. Thanks.

I'm kidding (tongue in cheek here a bit) but here in VA, it's a bit out of hand....
They are removing statues, talking of renaming schools and roads.. sigh...

Not at all. While slavery was certainly the center point of the war, many Southerners were simply fighting for states rights. We have to assume that the vast majority of Southerners were racist but that does not necessarily mean that all Confederate soldiers were fighting for the same thing.

Before any Northerners start pounding their chest about the "ass whoppin" put on the south, remember the pre-war stats. The North has approx. 22M people and the South had about 9M (4M of that were slaves). The South was primarily agricultural while the North was industrialized. So out gunned 4:1, with less money, fewer horses, fewer factories to build weapons and ammunition and without the railroads to transport men and weapons, the South defended their albeit shameful position for 4 years.

History is always viewed in 20/20 vision. Seeing the future is far more difficult.

you see it wrong. it was about slavery and had absolutely nothing to do with land conservation.

you see it wrong. it was about slavery.
38 years in chicago, 12 years in South Carolina

I am right it was not all about slavery,

You live you experience and then you will know

It's surprising to see such animosity directed to Stonewall Jackson who was an abolitionist and broke the law by having a school to teach slave and free blacks to read and write. His wife was the teacher.

I love Stonewall! He's my hero - my very favorite historical figure...

Blacks don't hate whites down here from my personal experiences as much as blacks hate whites up north (unless you are buying drugs on the south side of Chicago from them)

In protecting a way of life, they were also supporting enslavement of human beings. If you remember, in the North there was an industrial revolution, which used children for well past ten hours day. Not buying and selling humans, but fairly close.

The North doesn't appreciate nature? Hardly.

Flying your flag up North...yes, probably offensive.

In protecting a way of life, they were also supporting enslavement of human beings. If you remember, in the North there was an industrial revolution, which used children for well past ten hours day. Not buying and selling humans, but fairly close.

what a few Forrest preserves in Cook County and Central park in New York city counts as preserving nature? While sitting in Ivory towers saying what the rest of the country should do?

Go fuck yourself.

what a few Forrest preserves in Cook County and Central park in New York city counts as preserving nature? While sitting in Ivory towers saying what the rest of the country should do?

Go fuck yourself.

Ah yes, Southern hospitality on display? You say you lived up here? Most of the North is as rural as the South. You guys do a lot of deer hunting in downtown Atlanta? There are over 100 lakes in the county I live in. Great fishing and hunting. We have the headwaters to a river that flows into the Mississippi River. Keeping it clean is a big deal.

Forum List

Back