Is Jesus' divorce law anti-love?

GreatestIam

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2012

Jesus agreed with the O.T God on divorce. Let no man break that union or let no man put asunder.

I see that as anti-love. If Jesus is wrong about such a fundamental issue, then what else was he wrong about?

If a Christian, even if you become convinced that Jesus was indeed wrong, it would not make any difference to you because you actually follow tradition, culture and your family’s inherited traditional God. Not really a God that you selected through trials of his moral character. Right? Shame on you for neglecting the most important decision of your life.

I think that the moral reason all divorce pleas should be granted is that no one, gay, straight and all conditions in between or over, should be denied the ability to seek a lifetime loving partner, wife or husband, for any reason. I see being able to seek a loving mate or partner as a fundamental human right.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL

Thought Jesus said that but for adultery let no one divorce? Judaism proper is much more tolerant about divorce than Jesus was.

31"It was said, 'WHOEVER SENDS HIS WIFE AWAY, LET HIM GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE'; 32but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
- Matthew 5

Last edited:

Jesus agreed with the O.T God on divorce. Let no man break that union or let no man put asunder.

I see that as anti-love. If Jesus is wrong about such a fundamental issue, then what else was he wrong about?

If a Christian, even if you become convinced that Jesus was indeed wrong, it would not make any difference to you because you actually follow tradition, culture and your family’s inherited traditional God. Not really a God that you selected through trials of his moral character. Right? Shame on you for neglecting the most important decision of your life.

I think that the moral reason all divorce pleas should be granted is that no one, gay, straight and all conditions in between or over, should be denied the ability to seek a lifetime loving partner, wife or husband, for any reason. I see being able to seek a loving mate or partner as a fundamental human right.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL

Jesus was a bachelor. What did he know about it?

Thought Jesus said that but for adultery let no one divorce? Judaism proper is much more tolerant about divorce than Jesus was.

31"It was said, 'WHOEVER SENDS HIS WIFE AWAY, LET HIM GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE'; 32but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
- Matthew 5

A lot of guilt creating for the victims of divorce but no love or compassion for their pain or future.

Typical Christian fare showing their cold heartedness.

Regards
DL

Do you agree?

Regards
DL

Doesn't God know everything?

Regards
DL

Honoring a commitment is a good thing

Not when it is a love commitment and there is no love left because some bastard is beating his wife twice a week.

Think longer than your face for Christ's sake.

Your religion has created a mind that does not discern immorality and lacks any kind of compassion.

Regards
DL

Do you agree?

Regards
DL

Doesn't God know everything?

Regards
DL

Not unless he's spent some time married.

Marriage creates a bond between man and wife that is literally unbreakable. They become one body, one flesh. There is no way to break this body into two pieces, even if the state allows it.

Marriage creates a bond between man and wife that is literally unbreakable. They become one body, one flesh. There is no way to break this body into two pieces, even if the state allows it.

Ya ya. They become a two headed body. That goes well with your seven headed dragon of Revelation. All literally real. To fools.

Can I take it as a given that you would not agree with this mother either?

Catholics split over church's campaign against same-sex marriage - CNN.com)

About 60% of Christians are divorced. Add in the gays and tell us just how big of a % of the population would you deny love to, Christian?

Regards
DL

Not when it is a love commitment and there is no love left because some bastard is beating his wife twice a week.

Your religion has created a mind that does not discern immorality and lacks any kind of compassion.

Regards
DL

:lol: anger issues much?

Love is a choice. What most people call love is a chemical reaction that waxes and wanes. It is literally impossible to maintain that chemical reaction for an extended period of time, hence "I fell out of love with you". That's eros, not agape, which is the kind of love God is talking about. What He talks about is the decision to love that doesn't care if she gains 50 pounds, he loses his hair, she gets varicose veins, or that peace sign he had tattooed on his butt now looks more like a wrinkled stop sign. It's a decision, so to say God denies people a chance at love is completely wrong.

Abuse, moreover, is not something to stick around for. Get out and get away.

Regards
DL

Not a tad.

I just speak truth.

:lol: Closed mind issues much?

Regards
DL

Love is a choice. What most people call love is a chemical reaction that waxes and wanes. It is literally impossible to maintain that chemical reaction for an extended period of time, hence "I fell out of love with you". That's eros, not agape, which is the kind of love God is talking about. What He talks about is the decision to love that doesn't care if she gains 50 pounds, he loses his hair, she gets varicose veins, or that peace sign he had tattooed on his butt now looks more like a wrinkled stop sign. It's a decision, so to say God denies people a chance at love is completely wrong.

To say God denies people a chance at love is completely right if one adheres to scriptures that deny divorce.

That is why I agree with your last and scriptures do not.

Regards
DL

I'm not sure what to say in response to this ridiculous claim. I can't imagine any man going to his wife saying "I love you, let's get divorced"

The argument just doesn't make sense

To say God denies people a chance at love is completely right if one adheres to scriptures that deny divorce.

That is why I agree with your last and scriptures do not.

Regards
DL

Remember that the Scriptures were written in times when a young couple often had little choice as to whom they were going to marry. It is true that the love I am talking about CAN be developed between two total strangers, but it takes commitment beyond just feelings. It is not chemical attraction. If you try to base a marriage on lust, it's going to last about 2 to 5 years, and will fail unless the participants decide to grow beyond mere lust. So, your "chance at love" basically boils down to "I want to boink him/her but I can't".

Regards
DL

Not a tad.

I just speak truth.

:lol: Closed mind issues much?

Regards
DL
Actually you're very dishonest. Nowhere in your op is mention of abuse, you began with the sole premiss of love.

You seem angry, mean and dishonest. Which is not surprising coming from someone trying to convince others he/she is superior

I'm not sure what to say in response to this ridiculous claim. I can't imagine any man going to his wife saying "I love you, let's get divorced"

The argument just doesn't make sense

Correct.

Who said such?

Regards
DL

Forum List

Back