Is man a spiritual being?

The purpose of this thread is to discuss if man is predisposed to spirituality.

Since the beginning of man, man has had belief in a higher power. This belief has persisted throughout man’s existence.

Even today man overwhelming identifies himself as spiritual. So even though the grouping between belief in a specific religion may be declining, man has not abandoned his belief that he is more than just matter.
Man has not completely abandoned the belief. Not yet. Give it Time.

Man also knew that women should not be priests. Did god tell them that or did they just make that up?

I can totally see how a simple mind would decide a god must have put us here but the more you learn the easier it it to consider maybe we just made that up because we just don’t know.

And remember it wasn’t enough to just believe a god exists humans had to lie and say he visited and continue to lie for thousands of years.

And force everyone to be a member.

Who knows how many atheists would exist if being one was an option the last 7000 years.

It’s only been acceptable to be an atheist for about 40 years. 40 vs 7000. Think ding. You’ve been brainwashed.
We are hardwired for it.
Sure because we hate not knowing and we are curious and god is a possibility. It’s a hypothesis but not a theory.

It makes sense answering things we don’t know. Must be a god did it.

And you may not even be right. I mean if man made organize religions weren’t invented and forced on us maybe the enlightenment may have happened years sooner.

Early man was hard wired to accept god as an explanation. That led to the Greek gods. We have amazing imaginations huh?
There are only two options, right? If space and time were created by spirit then we are hardwired for spirituality because the creator of space and time is spirit.

If space and time were not created by spirit then everything that exists was a manifestation of the material world and spirituality exists because it is a functional advantage.

You lose either way. Because under no option is spirituality an accident.

Now tell me where I am wrong.
If monkeys raised you in the wild you may never come up with the god hypothesis.

But I see what you are saying. If we came up with it or even imagine it then it’s a possibility and always will be a possibility.

Even on a planet of atheists people would still wonder because just like this planet of theists, they’ll never know.

Even I would love to see my grandmother again

Historically people who did not submit to the popular gods promoted by the ruling elite were marginalized, persecuted and killed, even entire families.

Belief has been more a consequence of the instinct to survive than evidence of anything spiritual.
And yet it persisted throughout the ages.

But it seems that you are agreeing with me that spirituality is prevalent in man.
It persisted while being forced on us. And once our parents were brainwashed they brainwashed us.

We certainly were not given an option

Atheism now that it’s acceptable is taking off. The internet is helping to kill religion too. I didn’t have access to atheist resources when I was a kid. The priest had an advantage.

We we we? Us us us? Are you speaking for yourself or a crowd?

Becoming an atheist because scripture is not the literal truth just as dumb as believing that it is all the literal truth.

If you don't understand the hidden subjects, you don't even know what they are, how can you make accurate judgments about it one way or the other??

You might as well read a math book, fail to understand it, and then declare there is no such thing as math.
I have read and understand enough to know hogwash

OK.. the story of the bodily ascension of the risen Christ. Some people read it, fail to understand the subject, and claim to believe. You read the story, failed to understand the subject and do not believe.

Fair enough, the literal reading is hogwash.

If a person came along and showed you how the bodily ascension story was not about Jesus floating up into the sky but about leaving the tomb of the religious beliefs and practices he was born into and his daily struggles keeping faith in his decision until he died would you still disbelieve?

even though its also your story?
Because if you really did believe God exists you would not believe the account of the NT was impossible.

But it seems that you are agreeing with me that spirituality is prevalent in man.
It persisted while being forced on us. And once our parents were brainwashed they brainwashed us.

Atheism now that it’s acceptable is taking off. The internet is helping to kill religion too. I didn’t have access to atheist resources when I was a kid. The priest had an advantage.

Becoming an atheist because scripture is not the literal truth just as dumb as believing that it is all the literal truth.

If you don't understand the hidden subjects, you don't even know what they are, how can you make accurate judgments about it one way or the other??

You might as well read a math book, fail to understand it, and then declare there is no such thing as math.

OK.. the story of the bodily ascension of the risen Christ. Some people read it, fail to understand the subject, and claim to believe. You read the story, failed to understand the subject and do not believe.

If a person came along and showed you how the bodily ascension story was not about Jesus floating up into the sky but about leaving the tomb of the religious beliefs and practices he was born into and his daily struggles keeping faith in his decision until he died would you still disbelieve?

For thousands of years your religion has told those stories as factual actual events. Now you want to say it’s all allegories and ask if I now believe? I believe even more, BULLSHIT!

You are wrong. From the beginning the Torah has always been a book of instruction, not a book of history. Even Jesus said he was using figures of speech and people complained about him always speaking in riddles.

The problem stems from superstitious and irrational people usurping authority over its interpretations.

Genesis is an allegorical account of the history all people shared.

The NT isn’t an allegorical account.

You are the only person I know who is pushing that.
Not true. Christianity is slowly becoming an allegory. People don’t buy it as a history book

The purpose of this thread is to discuss if man is predisposed to spirituality.

Since the beginning of man, man has had belief in a higher power. This belief has persisted throughout man’s existence.

Even today man overwhelming identifies himself as spiritual. So even though the grouping between belief in a specific religion may be declining, man has not abandoned his belief that he is more than just matter.
Man has not completely abandoned the belief. Not yet. Give it Time.

Man also knew that women should not be priests. Did god tell them that or did they just make that up?

I can totally see how a simple mind would decide a god must have put us here but the more you learn the easier it it to consider maybe we just made that up because we just don’t know.

And remember it wasn’t enough to just believe a god exists humans had to lie and say he visited and continue to lie for thousands of years.

And force everyone to be a member.

Who knows how many atheists would exist if being one was an option the last 7000 years.

It’s only been acceptable to be an atheist for about 40 years. 40 vs 7000. Think ding. You’ve been brainwashed.
We are hardwired for it.
Sure because we hate not knowing and we are curious and god is a possibility. It’s a hypothesis but not a theory.

It makes sense answering things we don’t know. Must be a god did it.

And you may not even be right. I mean if man made organize religions weren’t invented and forced on us maybe the enlightenment may have happened years sooner.

Early man was hard wired to accept god as an explanation. That led to the Greek gods. We have amazing imaginations huh?
There are only two options, right? If space and time were created by spirit then we are hardwired for spirituality because the creator of space and time is spirit.

If space and time were not created by spirit then everything that exists was a manifestation of the material world and spirituality exists because it is a functional advantage.

You lose either way. Because under no option is spirituality an accident.

Now tell me where I am wrong.
If monkeys raised you in the wild you may never come up with the god hypothesis.

But I see what you are saying. If we came up with it or even imagine it then it’s a possibility and always will be a possibility.

Even on a planet of atheists people would still wonder because just like this planet of theists, they’ll never know.

Even I would love to see my grandmother again
Again, if there was never a God who created space and time, spirituality would still exists because from an evolutionary standpoint, spirituality adds value compared to a world devoid of spirituality.

Don’t you believe in a logical universe?

Genesis is an allegorical account of the history all people shared.

The NT isn’t an allegorical account.

You are the only person I know who is pushing that.
Not true. Christianity is slowly becoming an allegory. People don’t buy it as a history book
And they aren’t joining the ranks of atheists. They are keeping their spirituality.

So they aren’t rejecting spirituality. They are rejecting organized religion.

Because if you really did believe God exists you would not believe the account of the NT was impossible.

I do believe that God exists. I have no choice but to believe what I see and hear with my own eyes and ears.

And I also believe the NT account is true.. I believe that Jesus is the messiah, I believe he spoke for God. I believe he raised the dead, gave sight to the blind, cleansed the lepers, healed the sick, turned water into wine, calmed the storm, gave his flesh for the life of the world and that there is no other way to God and eternal life except by accepting his teaching on the law and doing it.

Every single miracle story in the NT is like a giant X on a treasure map marking the place where something of great value was buried and hidden.

I did the work. I know the truth.

How else do you think I could know that you are a liar?

Last edited:

I do believe that God exists. I have no choice but to believe what I see and hear with my own eyes and ears.

And I also believe the NT account is true.. I believe that Jesus is the messiah, I believe he spoke for God. I believe he raised the dead, gave sight to the blind, cleansed the lepers, healed the sick, turned water into wine, and gave his flesh for the life of the world and that there is no other way to God and eternal life except by accepting his teaching on the law and doing it.

Because you are a liar yourself.

And I also believe the NT account is true.. I believe that Jesus is the messiah, I believe he spoke for God. I believe he raised the dead, gave sight to the blind, cleansed the lepers, healed the sick, turned water into wine, and gave his flesh for the life of the world and that there is no other way to God and eternal life except by accepting his teaching on the law and doing it.

“The liar's punishment is, not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else.”

― George Bernard Shaw,

For thousands of years your religion has told those stories as factual actual events. Now you want to say it’s all allegories and ask if I now believe? I believe even more, BULLSHIT!

You are wrong. From the beginning the Torah has always been a book of instruction, not a book of history. Even Jesus said he was using figures of speech and people complained about him always speaking in riddles.

The problem stems from superstitious and irrational people usurping authority over its interpretations.
The first eleven chapters is an allegorical account of the history of the world that all people share. In it are some of the most important wisdom of man such as man knows right from wrong and when he violates it rather than abandoning the concept he rationalizes that he didn’t violate it.

“The liar's punishment is, not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else.”

― George Bernard Shaw,
I would never quote anything from that fool unless I was showing what a fool he was.

I am not surprised you think highly enough of him to quote that fool.

― George Bernard Shaw,
^ dunning effect

The first eleven chapters is an allegorical account of the history of the world that all people share. In it are some of the most important wisdom of man such as man knows right from wrong and when he violates it rather than abandoning the concept he rationalizes that he didn’t violate it.
No, its about divine instruction coming into the world though Moses only a few thousand years ago and being given to the Jewish people as a light to the nations in a lawless world that has been without form and void and where darkness covered the face of the deep for billions of years.

No, its about divine instruction coming into the world though Moses and being given to the Jewish people as a light to the nations in a lawless world that has been without form and void and where darkness covered the face of the deep for billions of years.
Ok, tell me the divine instructions from the Tower of Babel.

No, its about divine instruction coming into the world though Moses and being given to the Jewish people as a light to the nations in a lawless world that has been without form and void and where darkness covered the face of the deep for billions of years.

lol... who do you think you are fooling?

No one knows about babel better than your us and we.

No, its about divine instruction coming into the world though Moses only a few thousand years ago and being given to the Jewish people as a light to the nations in a lawless world that has been without form and void and where darkness covered the face of the deep for billions of years.
You do know that the account of Genesis was recorded as symbols in the Chinese language 1500 years before Moses recorded it, right?

How do you explain that?

lol... who do you think you are fooling?

No one knows about babel better than your us and we.
I don’t see you even attempting to explain it.

Because you can’t. You know why? Because it is the allegorical account of the great migration from the cradle of civilization.

So please do offer up your competing theory of it being some divine wisdom written by Moses.

Are you still going to hang onto this bullshit belief? Or do you want to be embarrassed some more?

You do know that the account of Genesis was recorded as symbols in the Chinese language 1500 years before Moses recorded it, right?

How do you explain that?

How do I explain that? You have lost your mind.

"I have not come to bring peace but a sword."

"Take from my hand this cup of fiery wine and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. When they have drunk it they will vomit and go mad; such is the sword that I am sending among them."

I will force your oppressors to eat their own flesh and make them drunk on their own blood as if with new wine. Then all people shall know that I, the Lord, am your savior and your redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob."

:wine:

The first eleven chapters of Genesis is the allegorical account of the history of the world that all people share.

Forum List

Back