Is Mark O'Mara the new F. Lee Baily?

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
The silver fox whose name I can't recall lost me at the 'knock knock' joke. He can definitely rattle the witness. But O'Mara is breakin' awesome! If I had taken the bar and become a baby lawyer, O'Mara is who I would have wanted to grow up to be~!

Last edited:
When this trial is over, I may be forced to send him a fan letter!~

You're assuming the jury is as ignorant and biased as the O.J jury.

Where did I mention the jury? This thread is about O'Mara.

I think the Defense has made many mistakes but the Prosecution has failed to take full advantage of them. But it may be because the Prosecution have faith the jury can read and comprehend the evidence. So to your characterization of O'Mara as awesome is wrong.

Last edited:

He's a very smart attorney. Very impressed with his courtroom performance.

He was a complete turnaround from Zimmerman's first attorney.

He is good but not great. He is allowed to speculate a lot , most good prosecutors would have jumped on that? for example For example the defense asked the witness- if you take away liar out of the equation do you believe Zimmeran?...Duh. The Defense also asked - if his head was continued to be beat on the concrete would it have been life threatening?...Duh. Both question should have got an objection.

Cherleading by conservatives is not an indication of O'Mara's ability.

I think the Defense has made many mistakes but the Prosecution has failed to take full advantage of them. But it may be because the Prosecution have faith the jury can read and comprehend the evidence. So to your characterization of O'Mara as awesome is wrong.

Where did you get your Juris Doctor?

He is good but not great. He is allowed to speculate a lot , most good prosecutors would have jumped on that? for example For example the defense asked the witness- if you take away liar out of the equation do you believe Zimmeran?...Duh. The Defense also asked - if his head was continued to be beat on the concrete would it have been life threatening?...Duh. Both question should have got an objection.

Lieseeker420, Didn't they teach you in law school that leading questions are allowed on cross examination. This is the prosecution's turn. The defense gets to ask leading questions. When it is the defense's turn, then the prosecution will be allowed to ask leading questions on cross examination.

Where did you get your Juris Doctor?

I'm more of a jailhouse lawyer.

Well to be clear if O'Mara was prosecuting the case, Conservatives would be calling him the devil.

But from where I sit, he's a smart cookie. He's handled the PR nicely and is doing very well defending Zimmerman.

Lieseeker420, Didn't they teach you in law school that leading questions are allowed on cross examination. This is the prosecution's turn. The defense gets to ask leading questions. When it is the defense's turn, then the prosecution will be allowed to ask leading questions on cross examination.

I said it was speculation. But any good lawyer would not let a question and answer so important just go by without at least an objection to plant in the mind of the jury that the question and answer might be wrong.

The silver fox whose name I can't recall lost me at the 'knock knock' joke. He can definitely rattle the witness. But O'Mara is breakin' awesome! If I had taken the bar and become a baby lawyer, O'Mara is who I would have wanted to grow up to be~!

His name is Don West - and if he lost you at the knock-knock joke, don't blame him; blame yourself. The knock-knock joke was meant to illustrate the importance of complete neutrality on the part of anyone chosen to sit on the Z jury. In a high-profile case such as this, such neutrality is of vital importance.

I will give you that it was probably a mistake to preview the "joke" by telling the jury they were about to hear a joke. Because it clearly wasn't funny. But it wasn't meant to be funny - it was meant to educate. What he SHOULD have done was tell the jury something like, "You all have heard of knock-knock jokes, right? I have one here that I will tell you about. It isn't meant to be funny, so don't expect to laugh at it. Rather, it is meant to illustrate a point which I will expand upon after you hear the joke. So there's this knock-knock joke that goes . . . "

If he had done THAT, he could have progressed smoothly from the telling of the joke to the illustration of the point to be made. His only mistake was in not previewing the whole thing properly, for which the media jumped all over him. It wasn't as bad as the media would have had us all think. Anyone with any knowledge whatsoever of jury selection would have instantly understood what he was doing.

Last edited:

His name is Don West - and if he lost you at the knock-knock joke, don't blame him; blame yourself. The knock-knock joke was meant to illustrate the importance of complete neutrality on the part of anyone chosen to sit on the Z jury. In a high-profile case such as this, such neutrality is of vital importance.

I will give you that it was probably a mistake to preview the "joke" by telling the jury they were about to hear a joke. Because it clearly wasn't funny. But it wasn't meant to be funny - it was meant to educate. What he SHOULD have done was tell the jury something like, "You all have heard of knock-knock jokes, right? I have one here that I will tell you about. It isn't meant to be funny, so don't expect to laugh at it. Rather, it is meant to illustrate a point which I will expand upon after you hear the joke. So there's this knock-knock joke that goes . . . "

If he had done THAT, he could have progressed smoothly from the telling of the joke to the illustration of the point to be made. His only mistake was in not previewing the whole thing properly, for which the media jumped all over him. It wasn't as bad as the media would have had us all think. Anyone with any knowledge whatsoever of jury selection would have instantly understood what he was doing.

Anyone who laughed would already know too much about the case, IMO. That was MY understanding. It was still in very poor taste. And it went over like a sack of dead babies. The lawyers are supposed to be there to advocate FOR their clients, not to make stupid jokes. Smartass remarks being the exception to that. If I were paying him, I would have been really pissed.

BTW: I wasn't indicating that I didn't 'get' the joke. My statement was the opposite of 'he had me at hello.'

Last edited:

I said it was speculation. But any good lawyer would not let a question and answer so important just go by without at least an objection to plant in the mind of the jury that the question and answer might be wrong.

What don't you get about the prosecution choosing all the witnesses to date except the last two. You don't seem to be aware how stupid you would look if you asked YOUR witness a question, then objected to YOUR WITNESS' answer.

Well to be clear if O'Mara was prosecuting the case, Conservatives would be calling him the devil.

But from where I sit, he's a smart cookie. He's handled the PR nicely and is doing very well defending Zimmerman.

Well, no one called Marcia Clark the devil. Quite frankly I'm not impressed with the prosecution in this case. All they have done is call defense witnesses. WTF?

Possibly...

Disbarment

Bailey's visible public profile has come both as a result of the cases he has taken and for his own personal actions.[12] In 2001, he was disbarred in the state of Florida, with reciprocal disbarment in Massachusetts on April 11, 2003. The Florida disbarment was the result of his handling of stock in the DuBoc marijuana case. Bailey was found guilty of seven counts of attorney misconduct by the Florida Supreme Court. Bailey had transferred a large portion of DuBoc's assets into his own accounts, using the interest gained on those assets to pay for personal expenses. In March 2005, Bailey filed to regain his law license in Massachusetts but failed. In 2011, Bailey passed the bar examination in Maine and applied for a law license; in 2012 the Maine Board of Bar Examiners voted 5-4 to deny his application. The majority said Bailey had not proved by "clear and convincing evidence that he possesses the requisite honesty and integrity" to practice law.

F. Lee Bailey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Possibly...

Disbarment

Bailey's visible public profile has come both as a result of the cases he has taken and for his own personal actions.[12] In 2001, he was disbarred in the state of Florida, with reciprocal disbarment in Massachusetts on April 11, 2003. The Florida disbarment was the result of his handling of stock in the DuBoc marijuana case. Bailey was found guilty of seven counts of attorney misconduct by the Florida Supreme Court. Bailey had transferred a large portion of DuBoc's assets into his own accounts, using the interest gained on those assets to pay for personal expenses. In March 2005, Bailey filed to regain his law license in Massachusetts but failed. In 2011, Bailey passed the bar examination in Maine and applied for a law license; in 2012 the Maine Board of Bar Examiners voted 5-4 to deny his application. The majority said Bailey had not proved by "clear and convincing evidence that he possesses the requisite honesty and integrity" to practice law.

F. Lee Bailey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think Mark O'Mara is looking at disbarment. LOL. But I do recall the day when F Lee Baily was THE man if you were in trouble.

Forum List

Back