Is religion really so bad?

Religious culture said it was ok for priests to have sex with children. And pretty much nothing has happened to any of them...
I saw one theologeon in a University debate posit that Morals are STILL Relative, despite his God's existence, because they're then Relative to his God's mind, which he argued was still a mind....so, he doesnt engage in the morals are/arent relative arguments after musing this.
Except we get feedback from our behaviors. Logically not all behaviors are equal and don't lead to equal outcomes. So the standards we select matter and are important. When standards are lowered and deviance normalized, predictable surprises will inevitably follow. It is feedback like this that establishes standards for behavior which lead to order and harmony in a society. Not someone's whim. Even God's. He is after all, a logical God.
A logical god? Ever read the bible? lol. It has to be cherry-picked by someone "who knows" so they can tell us which parts are real and which parts are allegorical.

I have a question about that for you, the virgin birth. Real, or allegorical? If real, why/how?
As logical as you discussing something you don't believe in?
I’m curious, anything wrong with that?

So virgin birth, real or allegorical?
Mary was cheatin on Joey - then when the baby came out brown she had to come up with the most insane excuse ever so that Joey didn't overdose on opiates and wither into a depression.

She didn't expect everyone to believe it!

So if culture said it was OK for men to sleep with young boys, it would be OK in OldLady's universe?

Or is OldLady saying that it will never be OK in any culture for men to sleep with boys because there is some absolute ideal of right and wrong that she clings to?

So why have we had cultures where it was acceptable for men to sleep with young boys? And was it right of them to do so?
Religious culture said it was ok for priests to have sex with children. And pretty much nothing has happened to any of them...
No. That would be men who did that.

And there were only about 200 priests who were bonafide pedos. The other 4500 were homosexuals or bisexuals.
So not ONE hetero priest among the whole bunch? :lmao:
Yes. They are the 42,000 that kept their vows.

I saw one theologeon in a University debate posit that Morals are STILL Relative, despite his God's existence, because they're then Relative to his God's mind, which he argued was still a mind....so, he doesnt engage in the morals are/arent relative arguments after musing this.
Except we get feedback from our behaviors. Logically not all behaviors are equal and don't lead to equal outcomes. So the standards we select matter and are important. When standards are lowered and deviance normalized, predictable surprises will inevitably follow. It is feedback like this that establishes standards for behavior which lead to order and harmony in a society. Not someone's whim. Even God's. He is after all, a logical God.
A logical god? Ever read the bible? lol. It has to be cherry-picked by someone "who knows" so they can tell us which parts are real and which parts are allegorical.

I have a question about that for you, the virgin birth. Real, or allegorical? If real, why/how?

It depends upon the motives.

Virgin birth? Or virgin conception?

To hear some people you'd think so...or you'd think SOME is...but that would be looking at it only one part of it.

I do think religion helps us to think of a higher purpose, to think outside of ourselves and our immediate needs, to think of others. And that is a good thing. I'm not big into "salvation" as a formal concept...and I am firm believer that we create our own heaven and hell through our actions on earth.

I'm listening to music, the true voice of the sacred. Cat Stevens...Yusuf Islam is one. What he says makes sense and echos all the world's great faiths:

Ten Promises To Peace

Ten Promises To Peace

What has happened to the Muslim Community since the Prophet Muhammad’s passing (peace be upon him) is anything but the message of unity, love and peace he delivered. Not entirely their fault because those who prosper by dividing mankind into collective groups, those who draw lines between people and families and then make deals with violent would-be-lords, presidents and dictators, must shoulder much of the blame also.

After entering Islam through the study of the Qur’an, what shocked me was how little people knew or wanted to know about the commonalities shared between Islam and other Faiths. The partial reason for this is the ‘Blame Game’; everybody accusing the ‘others’ for the terrible condition of the world: Afghanistan, Palestine, Bosnia, Iraq, all burning flames of hatred. Whereas the fundamental message of the Prophet, calling for understanding, prayer and charity under God, is totally lost in the gun smoke and fury of the explosive wars that continue to fog many people’s understanding of Islam. Following my conversion, I realised the real battle front was ignorance and mutual antagonism, was left unattended.

After many years, and millions of fatalities the world is still a very dangerous place, and continuously in conflict. So what can we do? Well, I think we can all promise to try and make it better by following the things we all say believe in.

Lessons from the Ten Commandments

Some people perceive believers in a Divine Code of life as unfashionable and unrealistic. But these people have left the safety of God’s palace of peace, and chosen to pitch their tents outside. That’s their choice, and choice is part of the license God has given every human being. However, when laws are broken and if people commit crimes and cross the lines, you can’t blame God for what happens next. Law and Order are primary requisites that God has provided humanity to maintain peace within the palace.

One of the most important objectives of all religion is teaching people how to live together. The lessons I learnt as a school child, the Ten Commandments, are not even referred to or looked at anymore. Yet these were the rules laid down by our Creator, for the benefit and betterment of all mankind. Why are they so easily overlooked?

When we hear that over four fifths of the world’s population believe or have a faith, why are we not profiting from things we already hold as valuable and right. In Islam, the ‘Ten’ are repeated in the Qur’an and other sacred Books in so many verses and chapters. This is a plus! What is missing is commitment.

People have put their nationality and customs above the commitment to abide by a Divine template of universal rights and responsibilities.

Even the Universal Declaration of Human Rights says: All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood. It goes on to describe in detail what those rights are.

So what happens? Why do some of us look down at others, and consider their lives less than equal with our own? When a person kills another from the same race and society, it’s called murder. When someone kills someone from another country it’s war. It’s a complicated subject and cannot be dealt with in this short talk, but we can realize the basis of the problem if we revisit God’s commands.

Rest of the article at link.

And..for Christianity? What could be better expressed then in Connie Dover's Ubi Caritas.....my heart and soul :)

WHERE charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.

As we are gathered into one body,
Beware, lest we be divided in mind.
Let evil impulses stop, let controversy cease,
And may Christ our God be in our midst.

And may we with the saints also,
See Thy face in glory, O Christ our God:
The joy that is immense and good,
Unto the ages through infinite ages. Amen.

Your first one about Islam is an outright lie. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Mary was cheatin on Joey - then when the baby came out brown she had to come up with the most insane excuse ever so that Joey didn't overdose on opiates and wither into a depression.

You might want to step lightly when insulting his momma.

Paschal's wager and all that.

So if culture said it was OK for men to sleep with young boys, it would be OK in OldLady's universe?

Or is OldLady saying that it will never be OK in any culture for men to sleep with boys because there is some absolute ideal of right and wrong that she clings to?

So why have we had cultures where it was acceptable for men to sleep with young boys? And was it right of them to do so?

There is no religion in existence today that I know of that accepts or condones homosexuality or pedophilia. There are clergy that have committed such acts but that doesn't mean their religion did nothing about it. Probably not enough, but that's not the fault of the religion. It's the fault of those in leadership positions that failed to hold people accountable for their actions for fear of damaging the reputation of their church.
No, the church created an environment that allowed priests to rape children. The church can't afterwards say "we didn't do anything, it was the priests' fault". Sorry, but that's totally douche, and not on.

Total nonsense, every church tries to create an environment of trust and love cuz that's what religion is all about and it's priests are supposed to walk the walk. It's really not the church's fault if some of their priests and pastors take advantage of the young. It may not be 'on' for you but it is reality. To say the church created an environment that allowed priests to rape children is bullshit. Pedophiles are going to do their evil no matter what the environment is.
The Church's leaders such as popes,,, created that environment. The leaders ARE the church. Their word is final. Too bad for you.

Nonsense, the environment in every church is created at the local level by the priests and pastors and church directors that run it. To say any church creates an environment hat allows pedophilia is beyond ridiculous. People in need of help or guidance have to have their church as at least an option, a sanctuary to go to. The fact that some in the church betray that trust is in no way fostered by any church, that is the last thing anybody who is part of a church organization wants to happen. And the fact that sometimes a church organization tries to cover up something like this is reprehensible but not the fault of the church but rather the people who made some bad decisions. Should we paint an entire organization of any kind with the actions of a few? NO.

And there were only about 200 priests who were bonafide pedos. The other 4500 were homosexuals or bisexuals.
You mean 42,000 that didn’t get caught. :rofl:

Pascale's wager is the dumbest thing almost ever....fake it till you make it works with your sky dad?

That's too fuckin funny!

Mary slept around like community sleeping bag is my theory. This god impregnated me nonsense was all she could mumble when confronted by joey, she didnt expect you gullibles to believe it!

silly.

pz out

Virgin birth, real or allegorical?

Virgin birth, real or allegorical?
What does virgin birth mean to you?

Pascale's wager is the dumbest thing almost ever....fake it till you make it works with your sky dad?

That's too fuckin funny!

Mary slept around like community sleeping bag is my theory. This god impregnated me nonsense was all she could mumble when confronted by joey, she didnt expect you gullibles to believe it!

silly.

pz out
OK, but don't say you weren't warned.

You mean 42,000 that didn’t get caught. :rofl:
No. I'll leave that for you.

That's too fuckin funny!

silly.

pz out
Do you tell Drifter she has a sky daddy?

That's too fuckin funny!

silly.

pz out
No, I value her and my interactions. I dont value yours, playa.

That's too fuckin funny!

silly.

pz out

I see. So you hide your true colors from her.

That's too fuckin funny!

silly.

pz out

naw. Im sure she is aware he thinks you are retarded

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

That's too fuckin funny!

silly.

pz out

I do? I just said publicly that I value her.

This is more of why youre not worthy of respect, ding.

Look at ya, trying.

That's too fuckin funny!

silly.

pz out

Look at ya, trying.
You should have seen all the dishonesty that little weasel shit all up in my thread. Its sad.
Jesus said he will be beside me in hades.

That's too fuckin funny!

silly.

pz out

Look at ya, trying.
You should have seen all the dishonesty that little weasel shit all up in my thread. Its sad.
Jesus said he will be beside me in hades.
he never engages from an honest place...hes a fuggin twat.

Forum List

Back