Is Sexual Orientation A Choice?

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Could you choose to be attracted to someone of the gender opposite of the gender to which you currently feel attracted i.e. if you're straight could you choose to get turned on by someone of the same sex, or if you're gay could you choose to get turned on by someone of the opposite sex?

Discuss.

My opinion is: No. Dudes are gross.

Love, maybe, but eroticism, less. I just don't find my own gender attractive 'that way'. I think the only way I could be a homosexual is if I were a woman.

Actually, the most bizarre transsexual story I ever read was about a woman who wanted to change genders so that -wait for it.....she/he (?) could have homosexual relationships with men.

And, no, I'm not making that up.

From the movie "Full Metal Jacket"..
While filming the opening scene, where he disciplines Pvt. Cowboy, he says Cowboy is the type of guy who would have sex with another guy "and not even have the goddamned common courtesy to give him a reach-around".
Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Trivia - IMDb

Do you understand the Drill Instructor, R. Lee Ermey who before an actor WAS a DI in the Marines and as a result much of his demeanor as a DI comes from that?

My point is that MOST MEN if given the right circumstances WOULD take a "reach-around"!!!!

Men are MORE promiscuous then women.
As a result MOST male gay experiences are behavior and not genetic.

And today that is even MORE behavior driven then when I was young and being gay was totally verboten!

From the movie "Full Metal Jacket"..
While filming the opening scene, where he disciplines Pvt. Cowboy, he says Cowboy is the type of guy who would have sex with another guy "and not even have the goddamned common courtesy to give him a reach-around".
Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Trivia - IMDb

Do you understand the Drill Instructor, R. Lee Ermey who before an actor WAS a DI in the Marines and as a result much of his demeanor as a DI comes from that?

My point is that MOST MEN if given the right circumstances WOULD take a "reach-around"!!!!

Men are MORE promiscuous then women.
As a result MOST male gay experiences are behavior and not genetic.

And today that is even MORE behavior driven then when I was young and being gay was totally verboten!

I know that movie well. I served four years in the USMC, and R. Lee Ermey is awesome.

However, the question was could "you" choose to get turned on by someone of the same sex. Could you, healthmyths?

Secondly, what makes you think most men would want to get penetrated anally and receive a reach around? I sure wouldn't. Most of my ex-gf's wouldn't either.

Love, maybe, but eroticism, less. I just don't find my own gender attractive 'that way'. I think the only way I could be a homosexual is if I were a woman.

Actually, the most bizarre transsexual story I ever read was about a woman who wanted to change genders so that -wait for it.....she/he (?) could have homosexual relationships with men.

And, no, I'm not making that up.

Once my best friend and I got stuck over night on a ledge doing a big climb in Yosemite. It got really cold around 2am and not being prepared we ended up spooning to avoid hypothermia - for about 15 minutes. It was too weird and we would rather have suffered the cold than touching. And we were best friends. It didn't matter. It was gross and awkward.

I've known to many gay and lesbian people to know that it is not a choice, so there is nothing left for me to discuss.

Could you choose to be attracted to someone of the gender opposite of the gender to which you currently feel attracted i.e. if you're straight could you choose to get turned on by someone of the same sex, or if you're gay could you choose to get turned on by someone of the opposite sex?

Discuss.

It doesn't matter if it's a choice or not.

Some people might choose to be homosexual, some people might not.

There are an awful lot of gay men who got married and had kids before they came out of the closet. If it wasn't a choice they shouldn't have been able to get it up for a woman right?

Is Sexual Orientation A Choice?
Can't say.

What I can say is that "gayness" is an unquantifiable behavior trait, rather than an objectively verifiable identity trait like gender and ethnicity.

I've known to many gay and lesbian people to know that it is not a choice, so there is nothing left for me to discuss.

How do you know it is not a choice?
Are you telling me you actually saw the "I gotta be me" gene?

Also tell me truthfully, which is easier, telling people "I gotta be me" or I like the life style? I like the love making.
Because LOVE in most cases have NOTHING to do with it!
Genetically speaking people never started out gay because you and I wouldn't be here!
So at some point yes the recessive gene that has a proclivity for same sex appeared.
And at some point more gay people were let to be gay BUT NOT because their GENES were becoming dominate but because society allowed more GAY behavior!
That's it. Prove there is a gay gene that really makes a person want a person of the same sex!
Where is it???

Both.
Primarily it is something that you are born with, and that is undeniable.
However, it cannot be said that someone could not be influenced enough to "go the other way". I think it is entirely possible a child could "become gay" if brought up by two homosexual parents if the parents were inclined for them to or not.

Discuss.

If people could choose their sexuality, everyone would be heterosexual.

No one chooses. We just are.

Discuss.

sure people can

not everyone, but some people can

Discuss.

explain bisexuals then

Discuss.

explain bisexuals then

They don't choose - they are simply attracted to both sexes.

We choose who to go to bed with, we don't choose who we are attracted to.

I think it a waste of your time to argue with people (usually "heterosexual" men, I note) who inform us that being homosexual is a choice.

I figure in their case they must know what they are talking about.

Clearly they have been repressing their own homosexual urges their entire lives, and they assume that the rest of hetero world is too.

Now if you're a 14 year old boy, I can understand your fear of being gay. After all boys are still dealing with the fact that wthey love our boyhood chums and confuse that feeling for being gay

But if by the time you're 20, you still fear gays?

Honeychild, you ARE gay.

The revoltion you feel for gays is you own self-loathing projected on other people.

Last edited:

How do you know it is not a choice?
Are you telling me you actually saw the "I gotta be me" gene?

Also tell me truthfully, which is easier, telling people "I gotta be me" or I like the life style? I like the love making.
Because LOVE in most cases have NOTHING to do with it!
Genetically speaking people never started out gay because you and I wouldn't be here!
So at some point yes the recessive gene that has a proclivity for same sex appeared.
And at some point more gay people were let to be gay BUT NOT because their GENES were becoming dominate but because society allowed more GAY behavior!
That's it. Prove there is a gay gene that really makes a person want a person of the same sex!
Where is it???
If a man is not at all attracted to a woman sexually then tell me how does he perform?

Sorry but there ain't no way I'm getting it up for a dude shouldn't it be the same for a gay guy and a woman?

Forum List

Back