Is something on the order of 1964's election what we are cruising toward?

Okay people...enough with the side tracking talk of revolution. It was fun while it lasted, but please get back on topic.....as a reminder, the topic is what the electoral (or popular) vote will make the 2016 electoral map look like, using the OP's maps as rough examples of what some have looked like.

What are your expectations about the nature and extent of the outcome of this November's election?
I believe that Trump could win five or six states. West Virginia, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas and possibly Mississippi. Georgia is trending blue along with the Carolinas.

What happened in 1964 could happen again. Then, the GOP was taken over by the reactionary wing giving us a reactionary nominee. But Goldwater was the Republican John the Baptist. His far right message was taken up by a few stalwart party members who recruited Ronald Reagan. Perhaps, after the dust settles and the Republican civil war is over, a candidate who can articulate a Conservative agenda could emerge in 2024.
I think a landslide vote for Clinton would convince the Republican party that they need more uncommitted delegates. In other words the equivalent of Democrat superdeligates which would help prevent another nominations of another Donald Trump.

Some of these people have been misled to the point where they think that ridding the Republican party of Republicans is a good idea.

Yeah I have seen that comment too--LOL. Many of the anti Establishment Tea Party group actually believe they're the majority of the Republican party, when they really represent less than 20% of the party. The other 80% of the party are the party of Lincoln & Reagan, aka Reaganites aka moderate Republicans.

If Reagan were alive and running today--he would be called a Rino, and Rush Limbaugh would have already labeled him an "Establishment candidate"--(his audience's trigger word to go out on attack.) They would have never supported him, and would have kicked him to the curb for Donald Trump. It's because they're stupid. Frankly they're so stupid they don't know they're stupid.

A very good article explaining the mentality of a Trump supporter is here. How these people took over the Republican party--is beyond any rational possible explanation, other than no one was guarding the party against Reich wing nut cases, and I think that falls squarely right into Reince Preibus's lap who let these ignoramous's take the reins. Then on the other side you had Republican politicians catering to all those Evangelicals with abortion rhetoric that sent women running from the party.
A neuroscientist explains what may be wrong with Trump supporters’ brains

trumpshockreuters-800x430.jpg
Skimming over that piece - and it's interesting - I would back it up to more of a 20,000 foot level and theorize on how they became susceptible to those feelings and conditions.

Personally, I have little doubt it's conservative media in general, and talk radio mostly. I generally listen to it at least a little every day, and there is a screamingly obvious similarity between words, phrases and thought patterns the talkers use one day and those that I see and hear the next. "RINO", "low informed voter", "statist", "The Establishment", it goes on and on.

Of course, now there are corresponding conservative websites that do nothing but contribute to this tightly closed echo chamber.

These are the people who are now the loudest in the party, and that means they have a ton of influence. The only good news out of this is that top donors haven't fallen for it, and the leaders of the party know that talk radio is not much more than pro wrestling for political geeks.

Last edited:
Okay people...enough with the side tracking talk of revolution. It was fun while it lasted, but please get back on topic.....as a reminder, the topic is what the electoral (or popular) vote will make the 2016 electoral map look like, using the OP's maps as rough examples of what some have looked like.

What are your expectations about the nature and extent of the outcome of this November's election?
I believe that Trump could win five or six states. West Virginia, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas and possibly Mississippi. Georgia is trending blue along with the Carolinas.

What happened in 1964 could happen again. Then, the GOP was taken over by the reactionary wing giving us a reactionary nominee. But Goldwater was the Republican John the Baptist. His far right message was taken up by a few stalwart party members who recruited Ronald Reagan. Perhaps, after the dust settles and the Republican civil war is over, a candidate who can articulate a Conservative agenda could emerge in 2024.
I think a landslide vote for Clinton would convince the Republican party that they need more uncommitted delegates. In other words the equivalent of Democrat superdeligates which would help prevent another nominations of another Donald Trump.

Normally, that would be the sensible response

But todays Republicans will double down on stupid once Trump gets trounced. How else could you explain them driving away Hispanic and women voters?

The GOP must open up to draw in women and minority voters.
republicans are their own worst enemies

Bobby Jindal, after the 2012 election referred to the Republican Party as "The Party of Stupid"
He was referring to Republican candidates who say stupid things

But Jindal was wrong. It is not the Republican candidates who are stupid, it is the Republican voters. It is the voters who have bought into the rightwing extremist rhetoric that streams out of the rightwing media. The candidates can to nothing but tell them what they want to hear

Why? Those are not the people they want to represent, or who want to be represented by people with Conservative views; so why would Republicans court people they have no commonality with?
Because we want to win, hold office, and make policy. Because we don't want to be controlled by the far right. Because we want a better party and a better America. The far right does not represent what is good with America.

Why? Those are not the people they want to represent, or who want to be represented by people with Conservative views; so why would Republicans court people they have no commonality with?
I couldn't agree more. If Republicans would focus on selling their message rather than recruiting raw numbers of voters, they wouldn't win many elections, but they'd be honest about how they go about losing them.

Because we want to win, hold office, and make policy. Because we don't want to be controlled by the far right. Because we want a better party and a better America. The far right does not represent what is good with America.

I'd rather lose on Principle than violate them to win.

No commonality with women, 52% of the population and demographically more likely to vote than men?
Oh--I forgot, I'm talking to Anathema.

Forum List

Back