Is there any legitimate use for Executive Orders?

As I understand it the president only has the authority to issue EOs to the federal government and its agencies states and indeed the citizenry cannot be compelled to follow them

There is nothing intrinsically unconstitutional about an Executive Order. But if an EO is used for the wrong thing, then it CAN be unconstitutional.... as many of Obama's are.

Executive Orders are what a President is supposed to use to carry out something passed by Congress (and signed into law by the Prez, of course).

Classic example is, Congress passes something saying that a group of Federal buildings on a corner in DC will be painted brown. Obama signs it into law. Obama then issues an Exec Order to solicit three companies for bids on the painting work, issues another order to check the bidding companies' qualifications etc. Obama is issuing Exec Orders pursuant to something Congress passed into law.

If he's issuing Exec Orders to do something Congress did NOT pass, such as to delay implementation of part of Obamacare for a year, that's the equivalent of issuing an EO to paint the buildings red instead of brown. It does NOT carry out what Congress passed. In fact, it's the act of a dictator with no Congressional oversight or adherence to procedures required by the Constitution, at all.

Or, if Congress passes something that violates the Constitution, such as a law that says people must have a license granted by government before they can buy or sell firearms, then any EO that implements it must be equally unconstitutional.

Executive orders have a legitimate use... but a narrow one. They must implement something Congress has already passed, and the law they are implementing must constitutional itself.

Do you really trust your state government THAT much more than you trust the federal government?

:dunno:
Most of you guys are already carrying permits issued by your state. Why does a federal data base scare you so when you state already has all your info on file?

There is nothing intrinsically unconstitutional about an Executive Order. But if an EO is used for the wrong thing, then it CAN be unconstitutional.... as many of Obama's are.

Executive Orders are what a President is supposed to use to carry out something passed by Congress (and signed into law by the Prez, of course).

Classic example is, Congress passes something saying that a group of Federal buildings on a corner in DC will be painted brown. Obama signs it into law. Obama then issues an Exec Order to solicit three companies for bids on the painting work, issues another order to check the bidding companies' qualifications etc. Obama is issuing Exec Orders pursuant to something Congress passed into law.

If he's issuing Exec Orders to do something Congress did NOT pass, such as to delay implementation of part of Obamacare for a year, that's the equivalent of issuing an EO to paint the buildings red instead of brown. It does NOT carry out what Congress passed. In fact, it's the act of a dictator with no Congressional oversight or adherence to procedures required by the Constitution, at all.

Or, if Congress passes something that violates the Constitution, such as a law that says people must have a license granted by government before they can buy or sell firearms, then any EO that implements it must be equally unconstitutional.

Executive orders have a legitimate use... but a narrow one. They must implement something Congress has already passed, and the law they are implementing must constitutional itself.

Do you really trust your state government THAT much more than you trust the federal government?

Most of you guys are already carrying permits issued by your state. Why does a federal data base scare you so when you state already has all your info on file?

The feds have far more resources to harass the citizenry than does any state

But they have even less of a right to... If an average citizen is going to have to answer questions about the disposition of a weapon, those questions are far more likely to come from a LEO drawing a state pay check.

Besides, if I'm a law abiding citizen, which all responsible gun owners claim to be, a national permitting process will enhance and protect my ownership rights, at least according to the NRA.

NRA-ILA | Right-to-Carry

But they have even less of a right to... If an average citizen is going to have to answer questions about the disposition of a weapon, those questions are far more likely to come from a LEO drawing a state pay check.

Besides, if I'm a law abiding citizen, which all responsible gun owners claim to be, a national permitting process will enhance and protect my ownership rights, at least according to the NRA.

NRA-ILA | Right-to-Carry

Permits can be revoked at any time for any reason

I fail to see how permits protect our second amendment right

NRA-ILA | Right-to-Carry

I fail to see how permits protect our second amendment right

Every gun kept out of the news enhances the right of the law abiding to own guns. Besides... I would love to have one card that allows me to shop for a weapon in any and every state. There are too many variances between the state standards... If we have a national right to own firearms, we need a national policy to manage and protect that right.

I can see your reasoning between 'permits' and 'no permits', but I fail to see that argument holding between 'state issued permits' and 'federal issued permits'

If we are going to require permits to exercise a legal right then we should require permits for all the rights enumerated in the Constitution

EO's are fine during time of war but have NO PLACE during peace time.

When was the last time we had no wars?
WWII

There have been no formal declarations of war since

And yet, this Century has all been perpetual war

no it has been authorized military action not war

And yet, hardly peacetime.
It's pretty peaceful in my town how about yours?

Yea...

... when Congress is constipated...

... an' can't pass a thing.

I can see your reasoning between 'permits' and 'no permits', but I fail to see that argument holding between 'state issued permits' and 'federal issued permits'
If we are going to require permits to exercise a legal right then we should require permits for all the rights enumerated in the Constitution

That's moot - we already have government involved in the trade of weapons.

My question remains... Is the federal government any less trustworthy than the states?

Responsible gun owners already accept permitting by their states - other than consistency, what's the difference?

That's moot - we already have government involved in the trade of weapons.

My question remains... Is the federal government any less trustworthy than the states?

Responsible gun owners already accept permitting by their states - other than consistency, what's the difference?

No government is trustworthy but it is easier for the citizens of a state to monitor their state government than it is to monitor the behemoth that is the federal governemnt

EO's are fine during time of war but have NO PLACE during peace time.
Why not? What's the difference? EOs simply dictate how a President's executive will be operated.
That office has to much power during peace time. In case you missed it Gunocrat power resides with the states.

You should have mentioned that when they were writing the constitution.
actually, it sort of is there, the constitution outlines what the federal government can do, everything outside of those things are states issues.

Odd that the Supreme Court seems to disagree with you.

Yea...

... when Congress is constipated...

... an' can't pass a thing.
Gridlock in congress is good for the people

Congressional gridlock is by design, the founders intended change to be difficult on purpose. Otherwise you have a government that flails about wildly. This poster above you is an idiot.

Forum List

Back