Is there anyone on thai board who was helped by Affirmative Action?

jasmine-thai-51.jpg

I lost a damned good paying job in my first chosen career field thanks to Jimmy Carter and Affirmative Action.

In fact, I had to train a minority who walked in off the street how to do the very basics of my job, which I went to school for 2 years to learn and had to get a Federal License to perform. Because of him being an AA hire, his license requirement was deferred for two years.

The pay? $7.50/hr in 1978. Minimum wage was $2.65.

I got hurt by affirmative action in a County job. I had been in a position for a year working 30 hours a week. When a full time position became available the County said they would have to hire a minority to fill the full time position to meet an artificial quota.

I guess I got passed over because of my long history as a slave owner. :cuckoo:

Dear Welfare Queen: What aspect of the quota was artificial?

I was the beneficiary of Veterans' Preference when I got my first job with the Federal Government. Based on the test, I was at the top of the list (104%, with 5 points Vet Pref), but the employer didn't want to hire me because I did not have a college degree at that time. But he was forced to do so, because I was at the top of the list AND a veteran.

Does that count?

I looooove Thai food. :D

I got passed over for two jobs because of AA. In both cases the ones who were hired were friends of mine.
So what did I do? Went out for some Thai food. :rock:

And @ Shroom, that would be Richard Nixon who started AA as we know it, not Jimmy Carter.

Last edited:
I found out that I'm technically a Hispanic American, I could have been Senator Crusader, Governor Crusader, I could be sitting next to Liz Warren on the Affirmative Action Senate Committee

I got passed over for two jobs because of AA. In both cases the ones who were hired were friends of mine.

And @ Shroom, that would be Richard Nixon who started AA as we know it, not Jimmy Carter.

It was Carter's AA Squad that told my employers they had too many White Males and not enough Minorities or Females and that if they wanted to keep their license, they had to hire more Minorities and Females.

Nixon was out of office when it happened. That is why I blame Carter.

I was the beneficiary of Veterans' Preference when I got my first job with the Federal Government. Based on the test, I was at the top of the list (104%, with 5 points Vet Pref), but the employer didn't want to hire me because I did not have a college degree at that time. But he was forced to do so, because I was at the top of the list AND a veteran.

Does that count?

Vets Pref is not based upon gender or skin color and no employer has ever been required to have a certain number of vets working for them.

To compare the two is pure bullshit and you should be ashamed of yourself for even considering doing it.

It was Carter's AA Squad that told my employers they had too many White Males and not enough Minorities or Females and that if they wanted to keep their license, they had to hire more Minorities and Females.

Nixon was before Carter. He got it started with the Philadelphia Order (1969) and it's been around ever since.

I wonder why a true meritocracy is such a difficult concept for some.

Does that count?

Vets Pref is not based upon gender or skin color and no employer has ever been required to have a certain number of vets working for them.

To compare the two is pure bullshit and you should be ashamed of yourself for even considering doing it.

It's a fair comparison. Whether required by law or not, it's still passing over qualifications in favor of status.

Same thing.

Forum List

Back