Is there anyone on thai board who was helped by Affirmative Action?

Dear Welfare Queen: What aspect of the quota was artificial?

I was the beneficiary of Veterans' Preference when I got my first job with the Federal Government. Based on the test, I was at the top of the list (104%, with 5 points Vet Pref), but the employer didn't want to hire me because I did not have a college degree at that time. But he was forced to do so, because I was at the top of the list AND a veteran.

Does that count?

Vets Pref is not based upon gender or skin color and no employer has ever been required to have a certain number of vets working for them.

To compare the two is pure bullshit and you should be ashamed of yourself for even considering doing it.

It's a fair comparison. Whether required by law or not, it's still passing over qualifications in favor of status.

Same thing.

No they are not the same thing.

Can I, as a white man, qualify as a AA hire? No.

Can a black man or a woman qualify as a vet pref? Yes, just as I can only if they are actual veterans.

This Vet Pref is based upon how you have lived your life, not what you were born with.

Vets Pref is not based upon gender or skin color and no employer has ever been required to have a certain number of vets working for them.

To compare the two is pure bullshit and you should be ashamed of yourself for even considering doing it.

It's a fair comparison. Whether required by law or not, it's still passing over qualifications in favor of status.

Same thing.

Can a black man or a woman qualify as a vet pref? Yes, just as I can only if they are actual veterans.

This Vet Pref is based upon how you have lived your life, not what you were born with.

Doesn't matter; it's still status over qualification for the job. Unless what that veteran did in the military directly relates to the job, it's the same thing: hiring based on who you are rather than what your talents are.

I looooove Thai food. :D

I got passed over for two jobs because of AA. In both cases the ones who were hired were friends of mine.
So what did I do? Went out for some Thai food. :rock:

And @ Shroom, that would be Richard Nixon who started AA as we know it, not Jimmy Carter.

It was Carter's AA Squad that told my employers they had too many White Males and not enough Minorities or Females and that if they wanted to keep their license, they had to hire more Minorities and Females.

Nixon was out of office when it happened. That is why I blame Carter.

Nixon was before Carter. He got it started with the Philadelphia Order (1969) and it's been around ever since.

But it wasn't Nixon's AA Office that cost me my job. It was Carter's .

Dear Welfare Queen: What aspect of the quota was artificial?

I was the beneficiary of Veterans' Preference when I got my first job with the Federal Government. Based on the test, I was at the top of the list (104%, with 5 points Vet Pref), but the employer didn't want to hire me because I did not have a college degree at that time. But he was forced to do so, because I was at the top of the list AND a veteran.

Does that count?

Same thing.

Not even the Federal government has to hire "unqualified" people. BTW White skin and male gender does not necessarily mean you are more "qualified" than a woman or minority..

Further, before the civil rights era, hiring was not based on merit... First come first hired, as long as you were a white male, was the normal way of life back when!

I was denied a job b/c I wasn't a minority.

I was shocked the lady actually told me that. Shitty part, I knew there was nothing I could do against this clear discrimination since it was government supported

Same thing.

Not even the Federal government has to hire "unqualified" people. BTW White skin and male gender does not necessarily mean you are more "qualified" than a woman or minority..

Further, before the civil rights era, hiring was not based on merit... First come first hired, as long as you were a white male, was the normal way of life back when!

so discrimination is ok as long as the government tells you to.

Same thing.

is based upon how you have lived your life

if it was based on your political status would that be legit

When the TEA was first hiring I was the only white male to apply in the initial group for our airport. Guess who was the only one not hired? And I have disabled vets pref.

Molon Labe

I looooove Thai food. :D

I got passed over for two jobs because of AA. In both cases the ones who were hired were friends of mine.
So what did I do? Went out for some Thai food. :rock:

And @ Shroom, that would be Richard Nixon who started AA as we know it, not Jimmy Carter.

It was Carter's AA Squad that told my employers they had too many White Males and not enough Minorities or Females and that if they wanted to keep their license, they had to hire more Minorities and Females.

Nixon was before Carter. He got it started with the Philadelphia Order (1969) and it's been around ever since.

Timeline of Affirmative Action Milestones

Starts March 6, 1961

Executive Order 10925 makes the first reference to "affirmative action"

President John F. Kennedy issues Executive Order 10925, which creates the Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity and mandates that projects financed with federal funds "take affirmative action" to ensure that hiring and employment practices are free of racial bias.

Read more: Affirmative Action Timeline | Infoplease.com Affirmative Action Timeline | Infoplease.com

Same thing.

the Poverty Rate and unemployment rate for African Americans is higher under Obama than it was under Bush

idiots and hypocrites

Same thing.

Doesn't matter; it's still status over qualification for the job. Unless what that veteran did in the military directly relates to the job, it's the same thing: hiring based on who you are rather than what your talents are.

DUH! what if you're a minority veteran as opposed to a White veteran? who gets more points? in fact i believe you get more points for being a non-veteran minority than being a non-disabled veteran period. i could be wrong

Same thing.

is based upon how you have lived your life

if it was based on your political status would that be legit

And neither the question of "how you have lived your life", nor the question of your political status, your race, your gender, your religion, etc etc etc, have anything to do with the job requirements. Therefore, samey-samey. Hiring based on, here it comes again, status rather than personal qualifications for the job. It doesn't become a different thing just because you squirt a verb into it. I don't apply for a job because I'm black or I'm female or I'm a veteran-- I apply because I'm qualified to do the damn job. What a concept.

What somebody's trying to do here is bellow "affirmative action is bullshit -- unless it benefits Numero Uno, then it's OK". :eusa_hand:

Last edited:

DUH! what if you're a minority veteran as opposed to a White veteran? who gets more points? in fact i believe you get more points for being a non-veteran minority than being a non-disabled veteran period. i could be wrong

"Points"? :lol:

What are we dealing with -- a game show?

When the TEA was first hiring I was the only white male to apply in the initial group for our airport. Guess who was the only one not hired? And I have disabled vets pref.

Molon Labe

You seem bitter. How do you know you were the only white male? How do you know you weren't the least qualified? Me thinks there is more to your claims of reverse discrimination. In other words, its easier to blame AA for your failures than accepting responsibility.

If a black man said he was discriminated against on the job or not hired because the color of his skin, would you say BS? Or do you think you should have gotten this job or something different in your other case of reverse discrimination because of white privilege?

Last edited:
I was, I had a job paying 90k a year. Then one day this black guy came in smoking Newports saying he wanted a job but he had no skills. He had tattoos on his face and a orange jumpsuit. The next thing I knew my boss told me that this guy was replacing me and had no experience! I COULDNT BELIEVE IT!

I lost my job because of that and AA sucks

I was, I had a job paying 90k a year. Then one day this black guy came in smoking Newports saying he wanted a job but he had no skills. He had tattoos on his face and a orange jumpsuit. The next thing I knew my boss told me that this guy was replacing me and had no experience! I COULDNT BELIEVE IT!

I lost my job because of that and AA sucks

Very funny. That's all you can do is mock when the unfairness of AA is bought to your attention. You certainly can't debate the issue on principal.

When I used to work for the ACOE rehabbing ghettos I was forced to hire a certain percentage of my help from within the community I was working in. Everyone of them were useless. A complete waste of my money. So no I wasn't helped by it but it certainly hurt my bottom line.

Timeline of Affirmative Action Milestones

Starts March 6, 1961

Executive Order 10925 makes the first reference to "affirmative action"

President John F. Kennedy issues Executive Order 10925, which creates the Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity and mandates that projects financed with federal funds "take affirmative action" to ensure that hiring and employment practices are free of racial bias.

Read more: Affirmative Action Timeline | Infoplease.com Affirmative Action Timeline | Infoplease.com

First use of the term, yes, and first application to race. The idea of an AA quota system originated with Harold Ickes, Interior Secretary in the 1930s, in the Public Wors Administration. With the exception of Eisenhower, every administration added something to the mix, culminating here:

>> In 1969 the Nixon administration Initiated the “Philadelphia Order”. It was regarded as the most forceful plan thus far to guarantee fair hiring practices in construction jobs. Philadelphia was selected as the test case because, as assistant secretary of labor Arthur Fletcher explained, "The craft unions and the construction industry are among the most egregious offenders against equal opportunity laws . . . openly hostile toward letting blacks into their closed circle." The order included definite "goals and timetables." As President Nixon asserted, "We would not impose quotas, but would require federal contractors to show 'affirmative action' to meet the goals of increasing minority employment." (Wiki; more here at ACRI Historical Overview)

It was through the Philadelphia Plan that the Nixon administration formed their adapted definition of affirmative action and became the official policy of the US government. The plan was defined as “racial goals and timetables, not quotas” << (Wiki; op. cit.)

Forum List

Back