Is there anything good about the uber-wealthy running for political office?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
President earns what a few hundred thousand a year? Does it make any sense at all then someone with billions or hundreds of millions would want such a job? Isn't it really they just wanna manipulate the system for their own ends?

President earns what a few hundred thousand a year? Does it make any sense at all then someone with billions or hundreds of millions would want such a job? Isn't it really they just wanna manipulate the system for their own ends?

Would you prefer Jimmy the Crackhead who lives in the dumpster over at 5th and 33rd to run?:laugh:

We need to bust up the US into 8-10 smaller nations, the citizens of which are more homogenous in their beliefs, and UNABLE to mess around in other countries. then maybe there'd be somebody worth voting for, who is not beholden to interests inimical to our own.

Yes, No, and Yes.

Power is like money --- it works on the illusion that there will never be enough. Those who relentlessly pursue that concept are fucking idiots.

We need to bust up the US into 8-10 smaller nations, the citizens of which are more homogenous in their beliefs, and UNABLE to mess around in other countries. then maybe there'd be somebody worth voting for, who is not beholden to interests inimical to our own.

That's what this guy had in mind --

upinarms-map.jpg

Just interested in how much manipulation of the system you think takes place after a candidate, from either party, who had to suck hundreds of millions of dollars from donors just to compete, gets elected? A little? A lot? A whole friggin' bunch?

Trump or anyone like him would be beholding to no one other than the folks who elected him. And that would be a first in a very long time.

Just interested in how much manipulation of the system you think takes place after a candidate, from either party, who had to suck hundreds of millions of dollars from donors just to compete, gets elected? A little? A lot? A whole friggin' bunch?

Trump or anyone like him would be beholding to no one other than the folks who elected him. And that would be a first in a very long time.

Rump has never been interested in anything but Rump. Self-aggrandizement for insatiable egomania. That's what such a fantasy erection election would be.

What a great reason to vote.

For something else. Anything else.

Yup and is there anything good about it? Nope, but nothing will be done until We The People take our government back.

Or we could just stop thinking of ourselves in terms of regions and just start thinking of us as one people. There shouldn't be a north and south,left coast right coast,it should all be one people.

Rump has never been interested in anything but Rump. Self-aggrandizement for insatiable egomania. That's what such a fantasy erection election would be.

Your vote for the status quo duly noted. Now run along. Rush is still on for nearly another 45 minutes in most markets and I know you don't want to miss any of his national spots.

Or we could just stop thinking of ourselves in terms of regions and just start thinking of us as one people. There shouldn't be a north and south,left coast right coast,it should all be one people.

Politically that's true but culturally -- and the mindsets infused by those minicultures -- there is a point to be made for regional differences.

The book I linked above is based on a previous work that made these points well -- have a look at what he has to say -- The Nine Nations of North America

Your vote for the status quo duly noted. Now run along. Rush is still on for nearly another 45 minutes in most markets and I know you don't want to miss any of his national spots.

Why would anyone who's on this board need to listen to Lush Rimjob? We get transcriptions here every day. Saves time.

I think it's most often going to be ego more than anything else.

Take money out of our perverted electoral process and they'd be far less relevant.

Politically that's true but culturally -- and the mindsets infused by those minicultures -- there is a point to be made for regional differences.

The book I linked above is based on a previous work that made these points well -- have a look at what he has to say -- The Nine Nations of North America
I understand all to well the regional differences. NLT and I have argued those differences to death, him being a "southerner" and me being a "northerner". I'd like to think that we really do have strength in diversity. If the USA caves and breaks up into regions what does that say for the nations of the world getting along. If the world melting pot can't figure out a way to stay together and work out their differences would that mean neither can the world and we will never have peace? I'll look at the link. Judging by the map I would disagree with the assessment of Texas, I think Texas would stand as one region on it's own. Why is Canada included?

I understand all to well the regional differences. NLT and I have argued those differences to death, him being a "southerner" and me being a "northerner". I'd like to think that we really do have strength in diversity. If the USA caves and breaks up into regions what does that say for the nations of the world getting along. If the world melting pot can't figure out a way to stay together and work out their differences would that mean neither can the world and we will never have peace? I'll look at the link. Judging by the map I would disagree with the assessment of Texas, I think Texas would stand as one region on it's own. Why is Canada included?

Canada's probably included because it's a map based on cultures and colonial histories, so there's much in common.

As I remember the author's point was that the US and A is just too big an entity to work efficiently when it has all these cultural dynamics at odds with each other. Not unlike the "leave legislation to the states" concept.

I have the book but haven't read it in full yet.

Forum List

Back