🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is there something wrong with movie critics?

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
I watched a movie named Kissed. It is about a woman who works in a funeral home. It seems the bulk of deceased that find their way into this particular funeral home are all young, physically fit men who died of natural causes in their twenties. The main point of the story is that she sneaks away from her boyfriend every night to have sex with a corpse. The boyfriend eventually becomes jealous and kills himself so she will have sex with him more passionately, as most guys would if they found out their girlfriend was having sex with dead bodies. This is supposed to be a moving love story.

I looked the movie up on Rotten Tomatoes and it has a 70% rating among the critics. This alone is disturbing. What's more disturbing are some of the reviews:

"In point of fact, the only unwholesome obsession KISSED presents is that of Sandra’s medical student boyfriend (Peter Outerbridge). After she confides in him about her after-hours doings with the corpses, he wants to know all the morbid details and, finally, wants to watch as she cheats on him with the dead. When she refuses, he asks her to demonstrate, letting him play the part of the corpse. THIS she finds repugnant. And so do we."

That's right, a woman having sex with you're recently deceased love one after you leave him in a funeral home is not unwholesome. Her boyfriend wanting to play dead so he can have sex with her is the ONLY unwholesome thing going on in that film.

"Maybe the greatest achievement of the film is that it was able to deal with an subject such as necrophilia without falling into tastelessness."

There is no way to deal with necrophilia tastefully.

"director Lynne Stopkewich lyrically explores the intersection between sex, death, and the search for transcendence."

Well, at least it contains intersectionality.

"The contrast between Sandra and the other people manipulating bodies (the teachers, the embalmer) is rather eloquent."

The embalmer dispassionately doing his job, as opposed to sexually abusing the corpse, is the real problem here.

"not as good as i thought it would be, but really compelling on first watch"

Not as good as you thought it would be?

"But what I personally liked the best about it is how it figures relationships, elucidating the insane need of one not having the other have its own and private corner, the need of forcing the other to share it, and the woe that comes from not being able to stand it. In this line, necrophilia becomes just an excuse."

???

Has anyone else here seen this movie and how does a movie like that get a 70% rating from critics? By the way, I believe it failed miserably at the box office.

Once perversion is accepted as normal behavior as homosexuality is accepted as normal behavior, the door is opened for acceptance of any perversion.

Movie critics are almost always wrong. They look for sophisticated greatness while the public just wants a good time.
Popcorn flix are almost always the best. Often low budget, often critically terrible but usually a fun hour or two.

I watched a movie named Kissed. It is about a woman who works in a funeral home. It seems the bulk of deceased that find their way into this particular funeral home are all young, physically fit men who died of natural causes in their twenties. The main point of the story is that she sneaks away from her boyfriend every night to have sex with a corpse. The boyfriend eventually becomes jealous and kills himself so she will have sex with him more passionately, as most guys would if they found out their girlfriend was having sex with dead bodies. This is supposed to be a moving love story.

I looked the movie up on Rotten Tomatoes and it has a 70% rating among the critics. This alone is disturbing. What's more disturbing are some of the reviews:

"In point of fact, the only unwholesome obsession KISSED presents is that of Sandra’s medical student boyfriend (Peter Outerbridge). After she confides in him about her after-hours doings with the corpses, he wants to know all the morbid details and, finally, wants to watch as she cheats on him with the dead. When she refuses, he asks her to demonstrate, letting him play the part of the corpse. THIS she finds repugnant. And so do we."

That's right, a woman having sex with you're recently deceased love one after you leave him in a funeral home is not unwholesome. Her boyfriend wanting to play dead so he can have sex with her is the ONLY unwholesome thing going on in that film.

"Maybe the greatest achievement of the film is that it was able to deal with an subject such as necrophilia without falling into tastelessness."

"director Lynne Stopkewich lyrically explores the intersection between sex, death, and the search for transcendence."

"The contrast between Sandra and the other people manipulating bodies (the teachers, the embalmer) is rather eloquent."

The embalmer dispassionately doing his job, as opposed to sexually abusing the corpse, is the real problem here.

"But what I personally liked the best about it is how it figures relationships, elucidating the insane need of one not having the other have its own and private corner, the need of forcing the other to share it, and the woe that comes from not being able to stand it. In this line, necrophilia becomes just an excuse."

???

Has anyone else here seen this movie and how does a movie like that get a 70% rating from critics? By the way, I believe it failed miserably at the box office.

This^^ is just another sign of the times.

Imagine the thrill the satisfied viewer and reviewer alike must squeeze out of mainstreamed violation of taboos such as necrophilia. And I thought Dead Girl (2008) pushed some frontiers of the sexually morbid. That you question the moral reasoning of the critics at all is quite admirable. As another poster mentioned above, once the door is opened to the debauched ghastly, normalization and mainstreaming of just about any perversion can and likely will follow. Unfortunately, these days if there's a market for violation of ancient taboo and the older the tradition perverted, the sexier for some. Someone will produce media to sate any appetite and profit regardless of extreme.

At the end of the day, what the wave of pop culture debauchery is all about is defiance of father, lack of personal responsibility and expectation of unlimited freedom without concern for consequence of action. Plus, kids and adults alike think defying ancient wisdom is cool, trendy and posh. They don't seem to know why it's so cool or justified; they just follow the rest of the bleating sheep over the precipice. Ba . . . Bah . . . Bad.

???

Makes me insanely glad I'm not wasting time, money, and life-energy going to movies any more. WTF?

Forum List

Back