Is this "sexist"....?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Saying "You probably won't come back to work after the baby is born."

People rarely say this to men, but women about to go on maternity leave hear it regularly. Of course, there are women who end up not returning to their jobs after their maternity leave is up, but many, many women who plan to return do so. It could be said that lumping women together is problematic, and these kinds of statements can have repercussions for women who are treated as if they'll be taking themselves out of the workforce.

I don't think so personally...... thoughts?

Why go back? Honestly? Just why?

I agree! I went back after my 1st - but wound up quitting and working for someone from their house.
I went back after my 2nd and also wound up quitting that job, but just stayed home.
Between wanting to be there for them and the expense of daycare (in the Washington DC area) - it just made no sense ......

If you are a single mom (and I was actually both time, but, not "really" ... just not married - I did have support) - but if you are truly alone with no support financially or otherwise, I can understand going back....

Men and women are different. It's okay to be reasonably sexist.

what about this one.....

The us of the term "Girl" or "girls." Such as "the new girl" or "the girls are all at lunch." But you rarely hear the "the new boy" or "the boys are in the conference room." Referring to adult women as "girls" isn't generally intended to be infantilizing or patronizing. But language has power, and girls are rarely taken as seriously as women.

what about this one.....

The us of the term "Girl" or "girls." Such as "the new girl" or "the girls are all at lunch." But you rarely hear the "the new boy" or "the boys are in the conference room." Referring to adult women as "girls" isn't generally intended to be infantilizing or patronizing. But language has power, and girls are rarely taken as seriously as women.
But many women like to be called girls. Its a young and pretty thing.

what about this one.....

But many women like to be called girls. Its a young and pretty thing.

Honestly, I could never understand women being offended. There is a reporter/newslady named Jeanine Edwards that got bent out of shape because one of her follow newsmen said something along those lines. I think it's flattering. If someone corners me or grabs my butt and treats me like a whore, that's one thing, but complimentary flirty remarks. No problem. People will take me seriously and respect me because I demand it. Has nothing to do with nature......

You can learn the same information by saying, "You're coming back after leave right? I would really miss you."

Because not every woman has a sugar daddy?

But we were talking about when she does. No one would say, "You probably won't come back to work after the baby is born." If she was unsupported.

No boss would ever say that to an employee who's the second income in a two-income household? Really? What a precious little bubble you must live in.

But we were talking about when she does. No one would say, "You probably won't come back to work after the baby is born." If she was unsupported.

No boss would ever say that to an employee who's the second income in a two-income household? Really? What a precious little bubble you must live in.
What's wrong with being in a precious little bubble? :p

You can learn the same information by saying, "You're coming back after leave right? I would really miss you."

There is an art of how to word things. Not many people have the skill.... or maybe they just don't care.....?

Why would your boss know anything about your personal financial situation?

I think there is a fine line between going overboard with PC and just being aware of others and how it might affect them. I mean, you don't tell someone overweight "you look like a disgusting fat pig" .....

The bottom line of it is this - you can say whatever you want - but you have to deal with the consequences because people also have a right to react.....

Saying "You probably won't come back to work after the baby is born."

People rarely say this to men, but women about to go on maternity leave hear it regularly. Of course, there are women who end up not returning to their jobs after their maternity leave is up, but many, many women who plan to return do so. It could be said that lumping women together is problematic, and these kinds of statements can have repercussions for women who are treated as if they'll be taking themselves out of the workforce.

I don't think so personally...... thoughts?

Who says this to women who are taking maternity leave? Who do they hear this "regularly" from? Never heard of such a thing.

Forum List

Back