Zone1 Is Trump really a threat to democracy?

Sad to say we have little to NO no free press,
Its all about money and one sided political propaganda.

With media on both sides of the political spectrum and an unrestricted internet, we have more of a free press than ever.

Trump is trying to destroy it with “alternative facts”

I wouldn't. Because once the talking is over there's no requirement for 60 votes to end the discussion if the filibuster is abolished. All you have left is the 51 votes to pass whatever you want to in the Senate, like it is in the House. You're just delaying the inevitable.

As long as their isn't a rule saying "one and done" people could keep it up on a relay.

The filibuster has to mean work is involved, not just a wave of the hand saying "We won't vote cloture"

At a minimum force the vote every time.

I wouldn't. Because once the talking is over there's no requirement for 60 votes to end the discussion if the filibuster is abolished. All you have left is the 51 votes to pass whatever you want to in the Senate, like it is in the House. You're just delaying the inevitable.

Right now you need over 50 percent in both the House and Senate, then Presidential signature, then pass any judicial challenge.
More than enough checks and balances.

Filibuster leads to minority rule and gridlock

The American democratic republic of the 1950s, whether for good or for bad, is gone.

It's not coming back.

We are watching a brawl for a one party majority state now. I have no idea how it will turn out.

We all will adjust to some extent.

I doubt the democrats would do that, they want a one and done. They ain't going to let the GOP relay senators to indefinitely delay the democrat agenda.

I just shows either their short sightedness or their belief that once the pendulum swings enough in their favor they can rig the system so it never swings back.

I just shows either their short sightedness or their belief that once the pendulum swings enough in their favor they can rig the system so it never swings back.
Both major parties, marty, are doing just that. We are head to a one major party state, much different than what we were born into.

Both major parties, marty, are doing just that. We are head to a one major party state, much different than what we were born into.

No, the Dems are trying to move as much power up to the federal level as possible and dump it on the executive branch, as far away from the people as possible.

Don't bring your false equivalences to me and expect me to believe you.

Marty is slipping. His own statement is Trump's guide: "No, the Dems are trying to move as much power up to the federal level as possible and dump it on the executive branch, as far away from the people as possible."

Marty is slipping. His own statement is Trump's guide: "No, the Dems are trying to move as much power up to the federal level as possible and dump it on the executive branch, as far away from the people as possible."

Trump is saying he wants to get rid of the Deep State, not increase it.

Where is Trump saying he wants to override State rule on certain issues?

Trump wants to concentrate all power into the Executive, and the GoP is going along with it.

The Dems want to make the federal government absolutely supreme to the states.

Not true
What has actually happened is there is no bipartisanship, no win/win solutions, no compromise.

This has led to two parties at opposite ends of the spectrum with nothing in the middle

Nope.

Dems want to remove power as far away from the people as possible.

That is what Trump tried to do in the 2020 election.
Breed distrust in our election system, attempt to empower the VP and local election officials to overturn the voters and endorse substitute electors

That is what Trump tried to do in the 2020 election.
Breed distrust in our election system, attempt to empower the VP and local election officials to overturn the voters and endorse substitute electors

Trump thought the election was victim of fraud, something I still think is possibly correct. Me and many others.

Dems have made the election system as porous as possible while removing any form of accountability or recordability.

The democrats want us to believe Trump is still a threat to democracy, but I don't think so. What could he possibly do now? So what if he thinks he and we got screwed in 2020? If elected, what can he really accomplish to threaten democracy? Even if the GOP gets a majority in the Senate and the House, they won't have the numbers or the inclination to blindly do whatever he wants. And his executive actions and orders will surely be scrutinized to the nth degree and I believe the current SCOTUS will not rubber stamp his decisions as automatically constitutional. So, I'm asking, what will Trump be able to do that threatens democracy?
no, just a lot of noise and fearmongering.

Don't argue to argue. It makes you look ignorant. If the federal government is supreme to the states, then it is supreme to the people.
Not true
What has actually happened is there is no bipartisanship, no win/win solutions, no compromise.

This has led to two parties at opposite ends of the spectrum with nothing in the middle
Both are trying for absolute control. I don't like centrist democratic corporatist politics. But, for me, it is far superior to MAGAtism.

Forum List

Back