Is Your God Limited to The God of Abraham?

My question remains... Which God?

:dunno:
God told me to read the Old Testament and only the Old Testament. It is not much of an answer I will admit.
The god of the old testament was a sad sack of shit.
And you have this opinion why?
He is jealous
Genocidal
Condones slavery
Belittles women

Shit like that.

Id rather go to hell if that was god.
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • No, granted he does not strictly prohibit slavery but he does set rules which insures it is humane, as humane as slavery can be. That was also a different time. Seek God today and you will find he is the same God but we are under different conditions.
  • No

Do you believe in a god?

God told me to read the Old Testament and only the Old Testament. It is not much of an answer I will admit.
He is jealous
Genocidal
Condones slavery
Belittles women

Shit like that.

• Yes
  • Yes
  • No, granted he does not strictly prohibit slavery but he does set rules which insures it is humane, as humane as slavery can be. That was also a different time. Seek God today and you will find he is the same God but we are under different conditions.
  • No

Do you believe in a god?
So god magically advances HIS.VIEWS on slavery, as humans do?

Thats odd.

No, thats really odd.

And any one of the 4 being accurate was good enough for me for you to admit to. Id call it "two and a half."..

The character called god in that book of fiction is a dick.

I am agnostic. Because i am honest.

Hey, Abe...kill your only son. You would if you love me.

Just kidding, it was a test.
This is just my thinking as I have not seen it stated as such anywhere but I have seen this pattern in the Bible on occasion. Chapter 22 of Genesis gives the narrative of God telling Abraham to sacrifice his son. What everyone seems to fail to mention is that in the second to the last verse of chapter 21 is:
33And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.
Nowhere in the Bible I know of is planting a grove a good thing. It is equal to worshipping an idol as far as I can tell. My guess is that Abraham pissed off God, the jealous God. God basically said, I brought you out of the land of your father's, I saved your life, and this is how you repay me? I will cut off your seed and there will be no remembrance of you in this, or any other, land. All the interpretations I have seen of Genesis 21:33 have stated that the grove was some sort of blessing to the LORD. I think otherwise.

Hey, Abe...kill your only son. You would if you love me.

Just kidding, it was a test.
This is just my thinking as I have not seen it stated as such anywhere but I have seen this pattern in the Bible on occasion. Chapter 22 of Genesis gives the narrative of God telling Abraham to sacrifice his son. What everyone seems to fail to mention is that in the second to the last verse of chapter 21 is:
33And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.
Nowhere in the Bible I know of is planting a grove a good thing. It is equal to worshipping an idol as far as I can tell. My guess is that Abraham pissed off God, the jealous God. God basically said, I brought you out of the land of your father's, I saved your life, and this is how you repay me? I will cut off your seed and there will be no remembrance of you in this, or any other, land. All the interpretations I have seen of Genesis 21:33 have stated that the grove was some sort of blessing to the LORD. I think otherwise.
A little side note on Genesis 21:33. Most all the interpretations of the verse on biblehub list the tree as a tamarisk. Googling the tree I found this:

Tamarisk - the Noxious Western Tree
Introduction:

Saltcedar is one of several common names for an invasive non-native tree that is spreading rapidly through the intermountain region of the western United States, through the Great Basin, California and Texas. Other common names include tamarisk and salt cedar.

The tamarisk is degrading the rarest of habitats in the desert southwest - the wetlands. Salt cedar invades springs, ditches and streambanks.

The tree has taken over more than 1 million acres of precious Western riparian resource.

Rapid Growth Rate:

Under good conditions, the opportunistic tamarisk can grow 9 to 12 feet in a single season. Under drought conditions, saltcedar survives by dropping its leaves. This ability to survive under harsh desert conditions has given the tree an edge over more desirable native species and causing a sharp decline in cottonwood populations.

Regenerative Ability:

Mature plants can survive flooding for up to 70 days and can quickly colonize moist areas due to the constant availability of seeds. The plant's ability to exploit suitable germinating conditions over a long time period gives Saltcedar a considerable advantage over native riparian species.

Habitat:

Mature tamarisk can also resprout vegetatively after fire, flood, or treatment with herbicides and can adapt to wide variations in soil condition. Saltcedar will grow at elevations up to 5,400 feet and prefers saline soils. They typically occupy sites with intermediate moisture, high water tables, and minimal erosion.

Adverse Impacts:

The serious direct impacts of saltcedar are numerous. This invasive tree is now taking over and displacing native plants, specifically cottonwood, using its aggressive growth advantage in areas where natural native communities have been damaged by fire, flood or some other disturbance. Native plants have proven to be more valuable in retaining moisture on wetlands than tamarisk. The loss of these native species to tamarisk eventually leads to a net loss of water

A Water Hog:

The tamarisk has an extremely rapid evapotranspiration rate. There is a fear that this rapid loss of moisture could possibly cause serious depletion of ground water. There is also an increased deposition of sediments in tamarisk-infested streams which causes blockage. These sediment deposits encourage dense clumps of saltcedar growth which then promotes flooding during periods of heavy rain.

Controls:

There are essentially 4 methods to control tamarisk - mechanical, biological, competition, and chemical. Complete success of any management program depends on the integration of all methods.

Mechanical control, including hand-pulling, digging, use of weed eaters, axes, machetes, bulldozers, and fire, may not be the most efficient method for removal of saltcedar. Hand labor is not always available and is costly unless it is volunteered. When heavy equipment is used, soil is often disturbed with consequences that may be worse than having the plant.

In many situations, control with herbicides is the most efficient and effective method of control for removal of tamarisk. The chemical method allows regeneration and/or re-population of natives or re-vegetation with native species. The use of herbicides can be specific, selective and fast.

Insects are being investigated as potential biological control agents for saltcedar. Two of these, a mealybug (Trabutina mannipara) and a leaf beetle (Diorhabda elongata), have preliminary approval for release. There is some concern over the possibility that, due to the environmental damage caused by tamarisk, native plant species may not be able to replace it if the biological control agents succeed in eliminating it.​

The divine archetype of YHWH is one that I choose to understand as ultimate Creation and ultimate Destruction. Ultimate "Good" and ultimate "Evil". Ultimate Balance.

Ultimate badassery.

YHWH is completely worthy of my worship, moreso than any other deity.

Last edited:

Mine isn't. I tend to view God as representing all names by which people call Him. People in different cultures simply relate to Him differently according to their cultural traditions. The way I personally view it, it doesn't matter really what religion you are. You are simply taking a different path to God
So ANY religion that worships a god that 'god' is automatically part of this one god system of yours?

Well with the exception of the Church of Satan and stuff like that (which I frankly laugh at). But that is because they take a specific anti-God stance.
islam specifically says to kill all non-believers. Surely you can not confuse their god with any other religion's god.

So does the Bible

He is jealous
Genocidal
Condones slavery
Belittles women

Shit like that.

Sounds like a plan :boohoo:

He is jealous
Genocidal
Condones slavery
Belittles women

Shit like that.

• Yes
  • Yes
  • No

Do you believe in a god?
So god magically advances HIS.VIEWS on slavery, as humans do?

Thats odd.

No, thats really odd.

And any one of the 4 being accurate was good enough for me for you to admit to. Id call it "two and a half."..

The character called god in that book of fiction is a dick.

I am agnostic. Because i am honest.
I know this is a total waste of time but...

YUTorah Online - Oh my G-d The Torah sanctions slavery Rabbi Benjamin Blech

Mine isn't. I tend to view God as representing all names by which people call Him. People in different cultures simply relate to Him differently according to their cultural traditions. The way I personally view it, it doesn't matter really what religion you are. You are simply taking a different path to God
So ANY religion that worships a god that 'god' is automatically part of this one god system of yours?

Well with the exception of the Church of Satan and stuff like that (which I frankly laugh at). But that is because they take a specific anti-God stance.
islam specifically says to kill all non-believers. Surely you can not confuse their god with any other religion's god.

So does the Bible
Book, chapter, and verse(s) please.

So does the Bible
Call me impatient but let me save you a little time trying to Google something that does not exist.

There is a God of Abraham who lead his people out of Egypt and to the land promised to Abraham. He is the God who today guides his followers to lead lives of peace and prosperity.

There is another religion which was created by a lesser deity. Whoever or whatever that lesser deity has put his followers on a path to destroy every man, woman, and child who will not follow him. It is not about any given land, about any given people, or about anything at all except this one particular lesser deity wanting to destroy God's creation.

For people who do not know God do not know what it is like to the feel the power and love of a God. But they can also not fathom what it is like to have the tentacles of darkness wrapped around their soul, whispering in their ear, influencing what they see as reality. muslims might get very upset if I insult Mo but I will challenge any one of them to dispute what I have just said. This is the reason that one will not find a single muslim with any understanding of islam saying ISIS is flat out wrong. ISIS is the epitome of islam. They are not extremists and it is a misunderstanding their religion to think they are.

2 Chronicles 15:12-13King James Version (KJV)
12 And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord God of their fathers with all their heart and with all their soul;

13 That whosoever would not seek the Lord God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.

2 Chronicles 15:12-13King James Version (KJV)
12 And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord God of their fathers with all their heart and with all their soul;

13 That whosoever would not seek the Lord God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.
14And they sware unto the LORD with a loud voice, and with shouting, and with trumpets, and with cornets. 15And all Judah rejoiced at the oath: for they had sworn with all their heart, and sought him with their whole desire; and he was found of them: and the LORD gave them rest round about.
It might be a very harsh statement but it was for that limited area, not the entire planet. Also the people declared this covenant among themselves. No where does it say the LORD had any influence in the matter whatsoever. FAIL! LEARN TO READ!

So does the Bible

Deuteronomy 13, verses 1-12 I believe. In fact if memory serves it says don't just kill them, kill their livestock, their families, and burn down the entire town. I may be wrong on those specifics. I would have to look it up

So does the Bible

Here you go....

"6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 11 Then all Israel will hear and be afraid, and no one among you will do such an evil thing again.

12 If you hear it said about one of the towns the Lord your God is giving you to live in 13 that troublemakers have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods you have not known), 14 then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15 you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. You must destroy it completely, both its people and its livestock. 16 You are to gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. That town is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt, 17 and none of the condemned things[c] are to be found in your hands. Then the Lord will turn from his fierce anger, will show you mercy, and will have compassion on you. He will increase your numbers, as he promised on oath to your ancestors— 18 because you obey the Lord your God by keeping all his commands that I am giving you today and doing what is right in his eyes."

Deuteronomy 13 - Worshiping Other Gods - If a prophet - Bible Gateway

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Most certainly, I tell you, before Abraham came into existence, I AM."

Because HE always is and was not designed by human ingenuity.
So you believe that The God of Abraham is THE God of Creation because of the ancient stories alone?

:eusa_think: Interesting.

Forum List

Back