🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Islam and Mental Illness

Mental Illness as an organic brain disease - the major mental illnesses have distinct biological changes to brain and brain chemistry - schizophrenia and bipolar. Those are the two most likely to cause severe behaviorial problems.

The Neurobiology of Bipolar Disorder
The Brains Of Bipolar Disorder Patients Look Different
Evidence That Schizophrenia is a Brain Disease

Those are BEGINNING to be recognized as true brain disease.
No, they are not "beginning" to - there has been a considerable body of evidence building to support this.

The kind of mental screening suggested by your OP for proclivity to go full radical terror -- or become homicidal against symbols of America are not generally "organic brain disease".. It's largely a matter of matter of cultural reference who is awkwardly violent or threatening. In Yemen, they wear full battle dress to go the market. Don't think "psychological testing" would even be required here to declare that "abnormal behaviour".. An impromptu "Death to America" rally is a HAPPY NORMAL event in Iran. Wanna analyze the psych risk that might prompt in "western" methods?

My OP was not about screening for terrorists, not about screening in other countries - but screening for mental illness that could lead to violence - and educating people about it. Did you read the article?

None of the examples you give above are in and of themselves signs of mental illness.

The Aurora Theatre shooter, the VA Tech shooter, Gabby Giffords' shooter, the Ft Hood shooter, the Sandy Hook Shooter all had evidence of serious mental illness. In some cases, family members recognized it but were helpless to do anything about it because the person was an adult. In other cases, the warning signs were there and noted, but weren't acted upon due to PC (Ft. Hood). The VA Tech shooter's parents were Korean immigrants - another culture that does not recognize mental illness but views it as family shame. A bit similar to the Muslim community that does not recognize it as an illness that needs treatment. These days, many mental illness' are being recognized and treated much earlier in communities where resources and education exist. Kids with violent, unstable or erratic behavior might get noticed and help might get sought before a tragedy, if the families and communities are educated and have access to resources.

I gave the Orlando shooter as an example because he was American born and raised - not an immigrant. He was schooled in the US and raised in the US, but raised in a family who's culture does not recognize that behavior as mental illness and who's culture hates homosexuals. The article in my OP was a call out to the Muslim community to not bury mental illness.

The other two examples I gave both received their own threads here - threads in which their religion was blamed for their erratic behavior (the London man and the Somali woman) even in the presence of evidence of mental illness. If a sick person happens to be Muslim, he gets a double whammy - his religion won't acknowledge he needs help and his religion means the public labels him as a Religion, not a person.

The Fort Hood shooter jihadist was a FREAKING ARMY PSYCHOLOGIST !!!! The Aurora shooter was a Graduate NEURO BIOLOGIST ---- specializing in brain dysfunction..

What does that tell you about the type of people attracted to this "profession" ?? I don't put much stock in the pure Psych side of the field. I'm fascinated by the "hard science" part.

But you're problem would be even harder than getting ME to a couch. Because all that Western Voodoo is one of the things that those cultures are taught to hate.

You won't make any headway -- putting them in the hands of shrinks.. At least not for pure BEHAVIORAL anomalies that were created and magnified by their old country crazed cultures.

the displaying of the idiot "Jesus in piss" and "Mary made of elephant dung " exhibitions were funded by TAX MONEY?

Piss Christ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1987, Serrano's Piss Christ was exhibited at the Stux Gallery in New York and was favorably received.[10] The piece later caused a scandal when it was exhibited in 1989, with detractors, including United States Senators Al D'Amato and Jesse Helms, outraged that Serrano received $15,000 for the work, and $5,000 in 1986[11] from the taxpayer-funded National Endowment for the Arts. Serrano received death threats and hate mail, and he lost grants due to the controversy.[12] Others alleged that the government funding of Piss Christ violated separation of church and state.[13][14] The work was vandalized at the National Gallery of Victoria, Australia, and gallery officials reported receiving death threats in response to Piss Christ.[15] Supporters argued that the controversy over Piss Christ is an issue of artistic freedom and freedom of speech.[15]

Sister Wendy Beckett, an art critic and Catholic nun, stated in a television interview with Bill Moyers that she regarded the work as not blasphemous but a statement on "what we have done to Christ": that is, the way contemporary society has come to regard Christ and the values he represents.[16]

During a retrospective of Serrano's work at the National Gallery of Victoria in 1997, the then Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, George Pell, sought an injunction from the Supreme Court of Victoria to restrain the National Gallery of Victoria from publicly displaying Piss Christ, which was not granted. Some days later, one patron attempted to remove the work from the gallery wall, and two teenagers later attacked it with a hammer.[citation needed] The director of the NGV cancelled the show, allegedly out of concern for a Rembrandt exhibition that was also on display at the time.[13]

Piss Christ was included in "Down by Law", a "show within a show" on identity politics and disobedience that formed part of the 2006 Whitney Biennial. The British Channel 4 TV documentary Damned in the USA explored the controversy surrounding Piss Christ.

On April 17, 2011, a print of Piss Christ was vandalized "beyond repair" by Christian protesters while on display during the Je crois aux miracles (I believe in miracles) exhibition at the Collection Lambert, a contemporary art museum in Avignon, France.[17][18] Serrano's photo The Church was similarly vandalized in the attack.

Beginning September 27, 2012, Piss Christ was on display at the Edward Tyler Nahem gallery in New York, at the Andres Serrano show "Body and Spirit."[19] Religious groups and some lawmakers called for President Barack Obama to denounce the artwork, comparing it to the anti-Islamic film Innocence of Muslims that the White House had condemned earlier that month.[20]

So what's the EXCUSE for this exactly? One nun regarded the work as "non-blasphemous"? I'm afraid her interpretation is subject to review by the majority of Christians who reserve the right to feel pretty damned offended.

I have no idea. What is the excuse? You tell me.

I don't much care for it, and I certainly see how Christians would be very offended. What is your point exactly because I'm not defending it.

What I"m saying is there appears to be a disconnect.

Piss Christ - is offensive, but according to the artist, not intended to be.
The Mohammed Cartoon Contest - is offensive, and is INTENDED to be offensive towards a particular group of people and those putting the exhibition on were hoping for provocation.

So right there - you have differences in intent and scale. One piece, one artist, vs an exhibition of multiple pieces that got plenty of media attention.

But the biggest difference is this - it's POLITICALLY CORRECT to offend Muslims. A significant portion of the public supported and applauded it. Now, what do you imagine would happen if you put on a Holocaust Denial Cartoon contest in THIS country? How would the public react? Would they be applauding free speech and hailing it as a victory for free speech (well, maybe Odius and his buddies)? Or would there be a lot of voices speaking out in condemnation? I applaud the Texas muslim community, for turning their backs and ignoring it. That's the American way.

politically correct religious offense? Have you met the anti-Jew wing of the Dem Progressives?
It's high fashion to bash Jews in liberal academia and amongst the left wing now. So do I understand it? Yup..

But my folks are not blowing random people to bits all over the globe every fucking day now. So I write off that PC hate as just a fad.

the displaying of the idiot "Jesus in piss" and "Mary made of elephant dung " exhibitions were funded by TAX MONEY?

In 1987, Serrano's Piss Christ was exhibited at the Stux Gallery in New York and was favorably received.[10] The piece later caused a scandal when it was exhibited in 1989, with detractors, including United States Senators Al D'Amato and Jesse Helms, outraged that Serrano received $15,000 for the work, and $5,000 in 1986[11] from the taxpayer-funded National Endowment for the Arts. Serrano received death threats and hate mail, and he lost grants due to the controversy.[12] Others alleged that the government funding of Piss Christ violated separation of church and state.[13][14] The work was vandalized at the National Gallery of Victoria, Australia, and gallery officials reported receiving death threats in response to Piss Christ.[15] Supporters argued that the controversy over Piss Christ is an issue of artistic freedom and freedom of speech.[15]

Sister Wendy Beckett, an art critic and Catholic nun, stated in a television interview with Bill Moyers that she regarded the work as not blasphemous but a statement on "what we have done to Christ": that is, the way contemporary society has come to regard Christ and the values he represents.[16]

During a retrospective of Serrano's work at the National Gallery of Victoria in 1997, the then Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, George Pell, sought an injunction from the Supreme Court of Victoria to restrain the National Gallery of Victoria from publicly displaying Piss Christ, which was not granted. Some days later, one patron attempted to remove the work from the gallery wall, and two teenagers later attacked it with a hammer.[citation needed] The director of the NGV cancelled the show, allegedly out of concern for a Rembrandt exhibition that was also on display at the time.[13]

Piss Christ was included in "Down by Law", a "show within a show" on identity politics and disobedience that formed part of the 2006 Whitney Biennial. The British Channel 4 TV documentary Damned in the USA explored the controversy surrounding Piss Christ.

On April 17, 2011, a print of Piss Christ was vandalized "beyond repair" by Christian protesters while on display during the Je crois aux miracles (I believe in miracles) exhibition at the Collection Lambert, a contemporary art museum in Avignon, France.[17][18] Serrano's photo The Church was similarly vandalized in the attack.

Beginning September 27, 2012, Piss Christ was on display at the Edward Tyler Nahem gallery in New York, at the Andres Serrano show "Body and Spirit."[19] Religious groups and some lawmakers called for President Barack Obama to denounce the artwork, comparing it to the anti-Islamic film Innocence of Muslims that the White House had condemned earlier that month.[20]

So what's the EXCUSE for this exactly? One nun regarded the work as "non-blasphemous"? I'm afraid her interpretation is subject to review by the majority of Christians who reserve the right to feel pretty damned offended.

I don't much care for it, and I certainly see how Christians would be very offended. What is your point exactly because I'm not defending it.

The Mohammed Cartoon Contest - is offensive, and is INTENDED to be offensive towards a particular group of people and those putting the exhibition on were hoping for provocation.

So right there - you have differences in intent and scale. One piece, one artist, vs an exhibition of multiple pieces that got plenty of media attention.

But the biggest difference is this - it's POLITICALLY CORRECT to offend Muslims. A significant portion of the public supported and applauded it. Now, what do you imagine would happen if you put on a Holocaust Denial Cartoon contest in THIS country? How would the public react? Would they be applauding free speech and hailing it as a victory for free speech (well, maybe Odius and his buddies)? Or would there be a lot of voices speaking out in condemnation? I applaud the Texas muslim community, for turning their backs and ignoring it. That's the American way.

politically correct religious offense? Have you met the anti-Jew wing of the Dem Progressives?
No. I have not.

But I have seen a shitload of Muslim bashing from elected officials: refusing to allow the building of mosques, so-called anti-sharia legislation, calls to designate Islam as a non-religious, demands for loyalty oaths, a Muslim data base...have such attacks been levied at Jews in recent years by elected officials?

How is antisemitic rhetoric by our resident bigots here treated by the membership? Is the dog pile on the bigots or is the dog pile supporting the bigots? That should tell you who it is truly "fashionable" to attack.

It's high fashion to bash Jews in liberal academia and amongst the left wing now. So do I understand it? Yup..

Can you give some examples of that?

But my folks are not blowing random people to bits all over the globe every fucking day now. So I write off that PC hate as just a fad.

Yet neither are the vast majority of Muslims, and yet it's Muslims by far who are the victims.

Does that then justify the PC hatred of Muslims?

Mental Illness as an organic brain disease - the major mental illnesses have distinct biological changes to brain and brain chemistry - schizophrenia and bipolar. Those are the two most likely to cause severe behaviorial problems.

No, they are not "beginning" to - there has been a considerable body of evidence building to support this.

The kind of mental screening suggested by your OP for proclivity to go full radical terror -- or become homicidal against symbols of America are not generally "organic brain disease".. It's largely a matter of matter of cultural reference who is awkwardly violent or threatening. In Yemen, they wear full battle dress to go the market. Don't think "psychological testing" would even be required here to declare that "abnormal behaviour".. An impromptu "Death to America" rally is a HAPPY NORMAL event in Iran. Wanna analyze the psych risk that might prompt in "western" methods?

My OP was not about screening for terrorists, not about screening in other countries - but screening for mental illness that could lead to violence - and educating people about it. Did you read the article?

None of the examples you give above are in and of themselves signs of mental illness.

The Aurora Theatre shooter, the VA Tech shooter, Gabby Giffords' shooter, the Ft Hood shooter, the Sandy Hook Shooter all had evidence of serious mental illness. In some cases, family members recognized it but were helpless to do anything about it because the person was an adult. In other cases, the warning signs were there and noted, but weren't acted upon due to PC (Ft. Hood). The VA Tech shooter's parents were Korean immigrants - another culture that does not recognize mental illness but views it as family shame. A bit similar to the Muslim community that does not recognize it as an illness that needs treatment. These days, many mental illness' are being recognized and treated much earlier in communities where resources and education exist. Kids with violent, unstable or erratic behavior might get noticed and help might get sought before a tragedy, if the families and communities are educated and have access to resources.

I gave the Orlando shooter as an example because he was American born and raised - not an immigrant. He was schooled in the US and raised in the US, but raised in a family who's culture does not recognize that behavior as mental illness and who's culture hates homosexuals. The article in my OP was a call out to the Muslim community to not bury mental illness.

The other two examples I gave both received their own threads here - threads in which their religion was blamed for their erratic behavior (the London man and the Somali woman) even in the presence of evidence of mental illness. If a sick person happens to be Muslim, he gets a double whammy - his religion won't acknowledge he needs help and his religion means the public labels him as a Religion, not a person.

The Fort Hood shooter jihadist was a FREAKING ARMY PSYCHOLOGIST !!!! The Aurora shooter was a Graduate NEURO BIOLOGIST ---- specializing in brain dysfunction..

What does that tell you about the type of people attracted to this "profession" ?? I don't put much stock in the pure Psych side of the field. I'm fascinated by the "hard science" part.

But you're problem would be even harder than getting ME to a couch. Because all that Western Voodoo is one of the things that those cultures are taught to hate.

You won't make any headway -- putting them in the hands of shrinks.. At least not for pure BEHAVIORAL anomalies that were created and magnified by their old country crazed cultures.
What does that tell me? I dunno....maybe they are drawn to it in an attempt to understand what is happening :dunno:

No. I have not.

But I have seen a shitload of Muslim bashing from elected officials: refusing to allow the building of mosques, so-called anti-sharia legislation, calls to designate Islam as a non-religious, demands for loyalty oaths, a Muslim data base...have such attacks been levied at Jews in recent years by elected officials?

How is antisemitic rhetoric by our resident bigots here treated by the membership? Is the dog pile on the bigots or is the dog pile supporting the bigots? That should tell you who it is truly "fashionable" to attack.

Yet neither are the vast majority of Muslims, and yet it's Muslims by far who are the victims.

You have mental illness CAIR girl just like this women you support

The muslim scum are investing our collages, the leftist are their allies. It's PC to hate Jews...CAIR girl:slap:

No. I have not.

The muslim scum are investing our collages, the leftist are their allies. It's PC to hate Jews...CAIR girl:slap:

Yup Yup Yup Yup... Muslim Student Assoc hosting "Hitler Youth Week" on campus. Yup Yup.. Protected and condoned by faculty. Yup Yup Yup Yup..

Supports all Jews gathering in Israel so that "we don'tt have to hunt you down" .. Yup Yup Yup..
THAT's not a micro-aggression we witnessed there is it? Nope Nope Nope.

If it is -- that girl is in BIG trouble. :bang3:

No. I have not.

Yup Yup Yup Yup... Muslim Student Assoc hosting "Hitler Youth Week" on campus. Yup Yup.. Protected and condoned by faculty. Yup Yup Yup Yup..

Supports all Jews gathering in Israel so that "we don'tt have to hunt you down" .. Yup Yup Yup..

It's PC to hate Muslims and that is obvious by how OK everyone is with it and how unwilling they are to condemn it.

No. I have not.

Your fellow mod here supports this women..So what does that say about her?

What does that tell me? I dunno....maybe they are drawn to it in an attempt to understand what is happening :dunno:

You think a Senior Army Psychologist was a severe mental case? I doubt it. Too much peer interaction. Same with the Colorado kid. He was under "informal" psych counseling. SURROUNDED by high powered academic psych "experts". No detection..

No. I have not.

It's PC to hate Muslims and that is obvious by how OK everyone is with it and how unwilling they are to condemn it.

Not so.

Hating a terrorist is more like it, not someone who simply believes in a particular religion or practices a certain tradition.

No. I have not.

Not so.

Hating a terrorist is more like it, not someone who simply believes in a particular religion or practices a certain tradition.

CAIR tactics include painting anyone criticizing muslims as islamophobes discrimination

No. I have not.

You think I hate Muslims? Got no problem with westernized Muslims at all. And neither does most of America.

NON-westernized Muslims are risky and for the MOST PART --- should stay home.. Where they are comfortably protected from "abusive or uncomfortable" assaults on their values and morals and hatreds. Don't belong on US Campuses TERRORIZING students as the ONLY faction that could ever possibly get AWAY with kind of shit you see in that video,... I dont think even Black Handicapped Feminists could pull that off on a College campus.

Hitler Youth Week --- Suspending those agitators is not enough. Deportation would be much better...

Last edited:

No. I have not.

Your fellow mod here supports this women..So what does that say about her?

That's just not right on so many levels. We should not go there. I might know what Coyote wants. And that's also what makes her an EXCELLENT moderator. She's out for fairness for Muslims, not a soldier of Allah. And the BOTH of us wish same kind of peace on the Mid-East conflicts and similar goals for Pali Statehood.

Her ONLY fault is too much patience and giving too many chances (apparently in RL as well). Not blood thirsty in the least -- I'm certain of that. Except for the occasional passing rabbit or turkey.

And JRoc -- if any group ought to realize the dangers of getting "carried away" in a national hysteria against any particular group --- it would pretty much be us.

So I see US -- as having the responsibility to CAP Muslim Scare hysteria within some very ethical bounds. I'm against importing Arab hatreds and culture -- not against importing Muslims. Most of America is just short of jumping that fence and slamming the whole Muslim world.

No. I have not.

You think I hate Muslims? Got no problem with westernized Muslims at all. And neither does most of America.

NON-westernized Muslims are risky and for the MOST PART --- should stay home.. Where they are comfortably protected from "abusive or uncomfortable" assaults on their values and morals and hatreds. Don't belong on US Campuses TERRORIZING students as the ONLY faction that could ever possibly get AWAY with kind of shit you see in that video,... I dont think even Black Handicapped Feminists could pull that off on a College campus.

I disagree - non-westernized Muslims have immigrated here SUCCESSFULLY for YEARS.

It's PC to hate Muslims all right - what other religious group has been targeted by political representatives in recent years?

Complaint filed against legislator for distributing anti-Muslim to DVD

Tennessee bill would jail Shariah followers - USATODAY.com
Tennessee bill would jail Shariah followers ... It exempts peaceful practice of Islam but labels any adherence to Shariah law — which includes religious practices such as feet washing and prayers — as treasonous.

Controversial Oklahoma legislator wants Muslims to renounce parts of Quran: Controversial Oklahoma legislator wants Muslims to renounce parts of Quran

Rep to Staff: Ask Muslim Visitors to Pledge Allegiance: https://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/29/rep-staff-ask-muslim-visitors-pledge-allegianc

Hitler Youth Week --- Suspending those agitators is not enough. Deportation would be much better...
[/quote]

What Hitler Youth Week? There was no Hitler Youth Week - I couldn't find any campus activity titled that. In fact, it appears that is Horowitz's term for MSA's "Justice in Palestine" week. Whether you agree with it or not - it to call it "Hitler Youth Week" is totally dishonest, but then this comes from a man who promoted "Islamofascism Awareness Week" on College Campus. Can't we at least agree to condemn dishonest demonizing?

UCSD Student's Remark Triggers Controversy

No. I have not.

Not so.

There is a difference between hating a terrorist, and expanding that to include all Muslims as is evident from a wealth of postings on these boards.

No. I have not.

Not so.

There is a difference between hating a terrorist, and expanding that to include all Muslims as is evident from a wealth of postings on these boards.

Perhaps but that does not make it PC to hate Muslims. People who hate will find a target for that hate no matter who it may be or what they believe.

Not so.

Perhaps but that does not make it PC to hate Muslims. People who hate will find a target for that hate no matter who it may be or what they believe.

Yes it does. When elected representatives and campaigning politicians openly express it, legislate against Muslims (not terrorists) - then yes, I think it's PC. These are people we elect who speak for us.

Forum List

Back