Israeli forces shoot unarmed protesters from across Gaza security fence, killing at least 15

I can understand that.

At the same time we have little information. Did You see a video of the incident itself ?

No, is there one?

I haven't seen yet, only the one after.

Is this what You'd call a smear campaign:

5aca017b6f42207a.jpg

September 9, 2017 The photographer (journalist) who was shot on Friday, posted a video for his agency agency "Maala photographers" on Facebook, a video of operating a drone and writes,
"Our planes are in the sky and our soldiers are on the ground ... ready for any scenario."

Which planes and soldiers do You figure he related to?

Many photojournalists use drones now. That was September. Again - where is the evidence that he was using a drone that day and that he is affiliated with Hamas?

Many journalist call them "planes" as a part of a military ready to action?

I can see them joking around and yes - calling it a plane. I think you need more substantial evidence then a tweet.

Not in the context of a message about military and soldiers.
It will be very hard to convince that he meant anything else, or that Hamas didn't use the only drones available in Gaza for surveillance and military action, especially since he himself stated this to be an integral part of their army.

If someone tweeted about an intent or participation, it would be enough to bring to court.

No, is there one?

5aca017b6f42207a.jpg

September 9, 2017 The photographer (journalist) who was shot on Friday, posted a video for his agency agency "Maala photographers" on Facebook, a video of operating a drone and writes,
"Our planes are in the sky and our soldiers are on the ground ... ready for any scenario."

Many photojournalists use drones now. That was September. Again - where is the evidence that he was using a drone that day and that he is affiliated with Hamas?

I can see them joking around and yes - calling it a plane. I think you need more substantial evidence then a tweet.

It will be very hard to convince that he meant anything else, or that Hamas didn't use the only drones available in Gaza for surveillance and military action, especially since he himself stated this to be an integral part of their army.

If someone tweeted about an intent or participation, it would be enough to bring to court.

The context of "planes and soldiers" could easily be metaphorical. Thus far - no evidence has been provided to justify his murder.

Edited to add - I don't place much value in solitary tweets - they don't really mean a lot - just an utterance unless there is a pattern.

A paid member of Hamas? Hamas denies it. Murtaja's family and coworkers deny it. From the below I highly doubt it.

Contradicting Israel, journalists' federation says slain Palestinian photographer was arrested and beaten by Hamas
A report by the International Federation of Journalists, published by AFP, said Yaser Murtaja was detained by Hamas three years ago after he documented the demolition of a house near the border. His captors demanded to see what he had documented, and when he refused he was forced into a vehicle, the report said. He was then beaten until he required hospitalization, according to the report, which was based on an interview with the photographer.

Lieberman claimed that Murtaja had been operating a drone above Israeli troops when he was shot, but the military had yet to release evidence of this.

Since the 2nd day of confrontation, when Abu Ali documented how Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Fatah publicly post the militants' affiliation - there was a request on SM to stop exposing whom they belonged to.

I think You'll find that post in the beginning of the thread.

5aca017b6f42207a.jpg

The context of "planes and soldiers" could easily be metaphorical. Thus far - no evidence has been provided to justify his murder.

Edited to add - I don't place much value in solitary tweets - they don't really mean a lot - just an utterance unless there is a pattern.

Metaphorical? Then who are the soldiers, kids with water guns?
What is the possible scenario and context when You talk about soldiers and planes?

I really don't see two meanings.

What is the possible scenario and context when You talk about soldiers and planes?

I could be talking about "drones" (planes) and "soldiers" (journalists doing their job) in a non-literal way.

A paid member of Hamas? Hamas denies it. Murtaja's family and coworkers deny it. From the below I highly doubt it.

Contradicting Israel, journalists' federation says slain Palestinian photographer was arrested and beaten by Hamas
A report by the International Federation of Journalists, published by AFP, said Yaser Murtaja was detained by Hamas three years ago after he documented the demolition of a house near the border. His captors demanded to see what he had documented, and when he refused he was forced into a vehicle, the report said. He was then beaten until he required hospitalization, according to the report, which was based on an interview with the photographer.

Lieberman claimed that Murtaja had been operating a drone above Israeli troops when he was shot, but the military had yet to release evidence of this.

Since the 2nd day of confrontation, when Abu Ali documented how Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Fatah publicly post the militants' affiliation - there was a request on SM to stop exposing whom they belonged to.

I found it - but again, not sure how relevent it is to Murtaja. He was also vetted by they US government for a grant. I'm quite sure they would have worked with Israel on that.

I could be talking about "drones" (planes) and "soldiers" (journalists doing their job) in a non-literal way.

Yes you're right he could.

RE: Israeli forces shoot unarmed protesters from across Gaza security fence, killing at least 15
※→ Coyote, et al,

The Joint Egyptian-Israeli blockade started in 2007. That is a year after the Population of Gaza elected HAMAS into power. Two years after the unilateral withdraw in 2005.

The indiscriminate rocket fire was on the rise in the first three years of the new century; but began a decline, down 100 launches from a high of nearly 300 in 2004 → the year before the unilateral withdraw of 2005. In the two years immediately prior to the tightening of the Israeli Measures to prevent, combat and eradicate the illicit manufacturing of and trafficking in firearms, their parts, and components and ammunition, owing to the harmful effects of those activities on the security of each State or Region.

Ok...that's a good chart. So rockets increased after Hamas was elected into power. That still does not mean the blockade is NOT collective punishment because it PUNISHES everyone - severely. This in particular impacts the ability of Gazans to access healthcare, including life saving healthcare, adequate food, water and electricity. Most recently, Abbas has joined with Israel in adding pressure to Gaza through withholding aid. Given their economy is in shambles they can not export goods, leave to work, or import goods - most Gazans depend on aid.

Bitter Palestinian rivalry adds to the agony of Gaza’s vulnerable

In Shifa hospital, Gaza, tiny premature babies, some with multiple infections, others with congenital diseases, lie packed together in incubators, struggling for life amid a tangle of tubes as lights flicker. With electricity virtually cut off, their life support is powered by a generator with a variable current.

The health of several of the babies is so poor they should have been transferred out of Gaza to modern intensive care units elsewhere, but permission to leave has been refused.

The decades-long agony of Gaza has moved into a new phase in which the very weakest lives of all are being sacrificed in a political power struggle played out beyond Gaza’s barrier wall.

Nowhere is the new intensified stranglehold more painful to observe than on the wards of Shifa. During the 2014 war, which killed more than 2,300 Palestinians, including about 500 children – leaving 1,000 permanently disabled – the beds were full of the injured. Today the doctors are struggling to save lives not damaged by bombs but by the impact of the blockade.

Kidney dialysis, intensive care and neonatal units are all in crisis. The Palestinian Authority in Ramallah on the West Bank has refused to pay for medicines, which are now critically depleted even for those in most need. Payments due to Israel each time patients are transferred are also being blocked, so that babies in need of critical care as well as cancer patients are refused permits to leave for treatment in the West Bank and Israel. Doctors say 10 cancer patients who have died in the past month could have been saved if they had been transferred.

As emergency cases back up in Gaza’s hospitals, other crises that have built up over the 11 years of siege and conflict are being brought to light. The immediate crisis in cancer care is exacerbated by the steep rise in cancer cases across Gaza, for which medical services were ill-equipped to start with.

According to Dr Khaled Thabet, head of oncology at Shifa, cancer rates in Gaza are rising steeply. He cites 90 cases per 100,000 people in 2016 compared with 65 in 2010. The rates are worryingly high given the unusually young population, with 60% of Gazans under 25. He blames the impact of three consecutive wars on Gaza, which have left poisonous elements in the soil and water, including depleted uranium. Daily use of insecticides by Israel to clear border areas is also blamed. Such is the shortage of clean water there are fears of cholera.

I disagree, the INTENT of the blockade was a collective punishment of the Gazan’s for electing Hamas.
(COMMENT)

What evidence is there that the Israelis are doing something other than executing actions to prevent, combat and eradicate the illicit manufacturing of and trafficking in firearms, their parts and components and ammunition, owing to the harmful effects of those activities on the security of each State or Region.

What evidence is there to suggest that Israel is doing something other than strengthening the security of their international borders, including by combating fraudulent travel documents and, to the extent attainable, by enhancing terrorist screening and passenger security procedures with a view to preventing those from entering their territory;

Why are medical supplies in such short supply? Why is food so restricted? Why is clean water restricted? Why is electricity so restricted. None, as far as I know, are part of making arms.

There was no escalation of violence preceding it and no attempts at talks with the new government. It has gone on for ten years with no improvement.
(COMMENT)

As you can see, there was almost a 200% increase in the two years prior to the blockade --- see above (supra).

I agree, the chart was enlightening.

How can Gaza declare independence? When the Palestinians sought any sort of U.N. recognition Israel punished those efforts. Israel punishes Palestinians for Unesco move

(COMMENT)

Gaza is already wrapped-up with the West Bank. They would have to disengage.

It is important to remember that under Customary Law, those that have not already accepted a different citizenship, those that have acquired a new nationality, and enjoys the protection of the country of his new nationality are no longer considered a "refugee."

In terms of "Rule 103 - Collective Punishment" - Customary and IHL considers:

Summary
However, the prohibition of collective punishments is wider in scope because it does not only apply to criminal sanctions but also to “sanctions and harassment of any sort, administrative, by police action or otherwise”.​

Most Respectfully,
R
The first minute and 38 seconds says it all. This was on March 14th, 2003 so what we are seeing now is long time standard practice.

I found it - but again, not sure how relevent it is to Murtaja. He was also vetted by they US government for a grant. I'm quite sure they would have worked with Israel on that.

Well, the US also gave a visa to Rasmea Odeh.

That applies to Israel also.

You obviously are oblivious to the fact that it is not Israel with a written Charter calling for the destruction of Arabs-Moslems.

Is it Isrealis who are massing on their border calling to invade Gaza’istan and rip the hearts out of Arabs-Moslems?
It is Israel massing at the border shooting civilians. Are the Palestinians at the border shooting up the Israelis?

You’re not paying attention. A number of the dead Islamics were members of the Islamic terrorist “military wing” of Hamas. It is Israel defending a border from Islamic terrorists.

IDF: At least 10 of the 15 killed at Gaza border were members of terror groups

Why do you believe that islamo-rioters with Molotov cocktails and explosives are allowed an entitlement to that behavior?

How cowardly of you to flail your Pom Poms and encourage others to act upon your Jooooooo hatreds while you sit behind a keyboard.

That is debatable at this point. The Israeli Defense Minister made that claim about the murdered journalist - and provided zero substantiation. I'm rather cynical about these claims.

Going back to the end of March, Hamas has acknowledged a number of its military wing members were killed at the tire riots.

Hamas admits 5 of its gunmen among 16 Gazans killed in Friday’s border violence
Good excuse, but they were unarmed.

You obviously are oblivious to the fact that it is not Israel with a written Charter calling for the destruction of Arabs-Moslems.

Is it Isrealis who are massing on their border calling to invade Gaza’istan and rip the hearts out of Arabs-Moslems?
It is Israel massing at the border shooting civilians. Are the Palestinians at the border shooting up the Israelis?

You’re not paying attention. A number of the dead Islamics were members of the Islamic terrorist “military wing” of Hamas. It is Israel defending a border from Islamic terrorists.

Why do you believe that islamo-rioters with Molotov cocktails and explosives are allowed an entitlement to that behavior?

How cowardly of you to flail your Pom Poms and encourage others to act upon your Jooooooo hatreds while you sit behind a keyboard.

That is debatable at this point. The Israeli Defense Minister made that claim about the murdered journalist - and provided zero substantiation. I'm rather cynical about these claims.

Going back to the end of March, Hamas has acknowledged a number of its military wing members were killed at the tire riots.

Hamas militants don't have to be armed to have a wedding ceremony.
However the ones with the rifles at night, grenades, molotovs and IED's were.

Not exactly the same thing.

Not exactly the same thing.

Actually it is in many ways, yesterday for example a Dublin mayor entered Israel, in spite of being formally rejected entrance, because of a mere mistake in the name on the document.

So again this is not an indication.

On a second thought, I just wanna add -

journalist who work in conflict areas know exactly the difference between soldiers and journalists, and how the two dangerously almost become the same in many of the cases he sees in action when, militants dress like journalists.
There's also a separate job description called "military journalist"...
Civilian Journalists tend to be precise about the importance of separating themselves from any military - calling oneself a soldier directly puts one in danger, and seems counterintuitive and counterproductive to the whole job aim .

People who's credibility and work depend wholly on the ability to reach and survive inconflict situations - don't go jeopardizing their job, international status and security by calling themselves soldiers/militants to the wide world...not in English at least.

Last edited:

journalist who work in conflict areas know exactly the difference between soldiers and journalists, and how the two dangerously almost become the same in many of the cases he sees in action when, militants dress like journalists.
Civilian Journalists tend to be precise about the importance of separating themselves from any military - calling oneself a soldier directly puts one in danger, and seems counterintuitive and counterproductive to the whole job aim .

People who's credibility and work depend wholly on the ability to reach and survive inconflict situations - don't go jeopardizing their job, international status and security by calling themselves soldiers/militants to the wide world...not in English at least.

To me it seems he either was shot by mistake as a result of a miss, poor visability.
Or Hamas murdered him for propaganda purposes once they saw that they begin loosing the media war with their Swastika flag being spread wildly on the net, the "reap the hearts of Israelis away" speech, and the growing support for Israel in the Arab social media since the beginning of provocations.

Last edited:

Pointless blather. You don’t know that.

To me it seems he either was shot by mistake as a result of a miss, poor visability.
Or Hamas murdered him for propaganda purposes once they saw that they begin loosing the media war with their Swastika flag being spread wildly on the net, the "reap the hearts of Israelis away" speech, and the growing support for Israel in the Arab social media since the beginning of provocations.

I think that is the most likely. And if so - the attempt to smear his reputation doubly disgusting. I don't see Hamas shooting him. Israel has not denied that they shot him.

I think that is the most likely. And if so - the attempt to smear his reputation doubly disgusting. I don't see Hamas shooting him. Israel has not denied that they shot him.

Please don't take my response as that, not my intention at least.
Merely voice my observations on the little info that we have on the case.
Appreciate the opportunity to have a healthy balanced exchange with You.

Edit: To the best of my knowledge it's nor denied neither confirmed - investigated.

Please don't take my response as that, not my intention at least.
Merely voice my observations on the little info that we have on the case.

Appreciate the opportunity to have a healthy balanced exchange with You.

I've enjoyed the thought provoking conversation - so refreshing from the norm! :)

The entire point of Israel's defense of its border is to defend the border. It's not to control the territory governed by another elected entity.

WHAT?

Then end the blockade! That IS "control of the territory governed by another elected entity"!

Your posts are so contradictory, you are so desperate to defend the actions of Israel you don't really know what you are saying anymore!

There is nothing the slightest bit contradictory about my statements. My statements are so consistent I am repeating myself over and over again.

Declare recognition of Israel.

Stop attacking Israel. No rockets. No suicide attacks. No stabbings. No threatening to rip Israeli hearts out.

Declare an end-of-conflict with Israel with no territorial dispute.

Sign a peace treaty.

Declare independence.

This isn't that hard, you guys.

What does "with no territorial dispute" mean?

The border between Gaza and Israel will remain the same. Neither side asks for more territory from the other.

Forum List

Back