It Has Started: Activist Court Rewrites Law

Late on Friday night, the Supreme Court blocked California’s public health ban on indoor religious services in a splintered 6–3 decision that augurs a major shift in the law of religious liberty. Justice Elena Kagan’s extraordinary dissent accused her conservative colleagues of endangering lives by overruling public health officials and potentially facilitating the spread of COVID-19. But the court’s new conservative majority ignored her warning—and, in the process, gave itself new powers to strike down alleged burdens on religious freedom. The Supreme Court effectively tossed out decades of case law in a late-night emergency order, unsettling precedent that states have relied upon to craft COVID restrictions. As Kagan sharply noted, Friday’s order “injects uncertainty into an area where uncertainty has human costs.”

Keep it up religious nut jobs. You're going to be our best reason to expand the court. And you can bet the farm on it. The court will be expanded to stop religious extremism. The most fundamental reason America was created to begin with.
Something must be done about the recent supreme court appointments. They cannot be allowed to keep murdering people.

Good fucking god you're dumber than a box of rocks. So a lung infection with a 99% survival rate is enough to waive our rights? Do you even fucking realize the precedent you set with something like that?

The SCOTUS are put there to uphold the constitution. Show me where it says that our rights can be waived during a pandemic. If you can't come up with that then shut the fuck up.
Show me where it says you have the right to ignore temporary public health orders?

And stop lying about the death rate. You're murdering people with your lies.

Your rhetoric is murdering brain cells
No, that your drug habit.

Nope, don't do drugs, I'm a truck driver....Nice try though...It highlights that in many cases how you talk out of your ass....
Well something has killed an awful lot of your braincells, as you just admitted.

Yeah, reading your bullshit....

Late on Friday night, the Supreme Court blocked California’s public health ban on indoor religious services in a splintered 6–3 decision that augurs a major shift in the law of religious liberty. Justice Elena Kagan’s extraordinary dissent accused her conservative colleagues of endangering lives by overruling public health officials and potentially facilitating the spread of COVID-19. But the court’s new conservative majority ignored her warning—and, in the process, gave itself new powers to strike down alleged burdens on religious freedom. The Supreme Court effectively tossed out decades of case law in a late-night emergency order, unsettling precedent that states have relied upon to craft COVID restrictions. As Kagan sharply noted, Friday’s order “injects uncertainty into an area where uncertainty has human costs.”

Keep it up religious nut jobs. You're going to be our best reason to expand the court. And you can bet the farm on it. The court will be expanded to stop religious extremism. The most fundamental reason America was created to begin with.
Something must be done about the recent supreme court appointments. They cannot be allowed to keep murdering people.

Good fucking god you're dumber than a box of rocks. So a lung infection with a 99% survival rate is enough to waive our rights? Do you even fucking realize the precedent you set with something like that?

The SCOTUS are put there to uphold the constitution. Show me where it says that our rights can be waived during a pandemic. If you can't come up with that then shut the fuck up.
Show me where it says you have the right to ignore temporary public health orders?

And stop lying about the death rate. You're murdering people with your lies.

Your rhetoric is murdering brain cells
No, that your drug habit.

Nope, don't do drugs, I'm a truck driver....Nice try though...It highlights that in many cases how you talk out of your ass....
Well something has killed an awful lot of your braincells, as you just admitted.

Yeah, reading your bullshit....
That wouldn't be possible even if I was the one posting bullshit. However, you're the conspiracy theorist whack-job tRumpling here, not me.

It is time to abolish our extra-Constitutional alleged wars on crime, drugs, and terror. Don't be "Big Chickens" right wingers. If y'all are not worried about the pandemic why should y'all be worried about crime, drugs, or terror? The pandemic has killed more people than all of those other issues combined. If y'all are brave enough to go maskless during a pandemic y'all should be brave enough to not need the wasteful spending on those endless costs.

The Constitution doesn't require citizens to have any regards for each other.
What exactly to you conservitards think "the general.welfare" is?
It's not writing checks to individuals, moron.
And you know this because?
Logic and facts.
Which of course you can explain to us, right?
When did the government start writing checks to individuals?

The Constitution doesn't require citizens to have any regards for each other.
What exactly to you conservitards think "the general.welfare" is?
It's not writing checks to individuals, moron.
And you know this because?
Logic and facts.
Which of course you can explain to us, right?
When did the government start writing checks to individuals?
From the beginning. Eminent domain can require it.

And still there's nothing anywhere prohibiting temporary health orders.

Do you seriously think the founding father would handicap the country by restricting temporary public health iand or safety orders?

Think man! Don't just emote! Use that brain for something besides keeping your head inflated.

You are not following this too well. Perhaps if I make you think about it you will:

Can my state of Ohio bring back slavery because we desperately need workers, and if not, why not?

Can my state disallow women from voting in elections because we feel they don't understand politics enough, and if not, why not?

Can my state make all guns illegal because we believe we have too many shootings, and if not, why not?

But it's not even that. The STATES aren't passing these covid laws, the GOVERNORS and MAYORS are making them all on their own, bypassing our legislative process of making laws.

So if they weren't illegal on their face because of how they were created, they're illegal because they infringe on rights given by the constitution.

I considered that. But what I'm trying to do is point out to Crepitus how it's unconstitutional on the federal level. The Constitution was not written for what government can do to us, it was written to outline what government can't do to us.

It certainly is.

Under the U.S. Constitution’s 10th Amendment and U.S. Supreme Court decisions over nearly 200 years, state governments have the primary authority to control the spread of dangerous diseases within their jurisdictions. The 10th Amendment, which gives states all powers not specifically given to the federal government, allows them the authority to take public health emergency actions, such as setting quarantines and business restrictions.

The 10th Amendment, which gives states all powers not specifically given to the federal government…

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Violating any rights affirmed in the Bill of Rights and incorporated under the Fourteenth Amendment would constitute “powers prohibited by it to the States”. This certainly includes the freedoms of religion, speech, and association which are openly being attacked under the guise of the #CoronaHoax2020.

10th Amendment
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

LOL. According to you idiots the ONLY amendment that matters is the 10th. You're an idiot.
Reading isn't big in their minds either--the 10th clearly states that it is to be used for anything that is not addressed in the constitution (paraphrasing). That does not mean it overrules other amendments to the constitution.

No one is being compelled to attend religious services. There is no religious extremism.

With any luck at all, 99.9% of ministers in these critical areas will keep their doors closed and worship on line in order to keep their parishioners safe until the case #'s come down and public health officials give the all clear. Many outbreaks have been tied to church services all over the country. I agree with Kagan on this, all the way. Let's hope it doesn't lead to a slippery slope.

Kagan, joined by Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Stephen Breyer, dissented from this order in a blunt opinion highlighting the possibility that her colleagues’ decision will kill people. “Justices of this Court are not scientists,” Kagan began. “Nor do we know much about public health policy. Yet today the Court displaces the judgments of experts about how to respond to a raging pandemic. … That mandate defies our caselaw, exceeds our judicial role, and risks worsening the pandemic.” She pointed out that, contrary to the court’s belief, California has not actually treated churches less favorably than secular businesses and assemblies: Political meetings, lectures, and plays are also banned, she wrote—and these “secular gatherings,” like religious worship, “are constitutionally protected” by the First Amendment. The court simply created “a special exception for worship services.”

“To state the obvious, judges do not know what scientists and public health experts do,” Kagan explained. “So it is alarming that the Court second-guesses the judgments of expert officials, and displaces their conclusions with its own. In the worst public health crisis in a century, this foray into armchair epidemiology cannot end well.”
That is fine and dandy... let the individual church decide but not the government. when it come to religion the government should have absolutely no say
And the majority, even of evangelicals agree. It is a small but loud number of evangelicals leading this push to ignore safety protocols. Ironically, they have forgotten what being a Christian is all about.

“We understand that part of what God is giving to us right now is an invitation to care for our neighbors,” said the Rt. Rev. Thomas James Brown, the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Maine. “One of the ways we can care for our neighbors is to do everything we can to slow and stop the spread of this virus. That means following every possible safety protocol.”

The Episcopals accept same sex marriage. Their advice isn't worth sewage. Following safety protocols doesn't extend to buttfucking.

Attending a religious service is a far cry from burning women at the stake. Communist democrats would like to eliminate religion in all forms just like the parent country China.

Again the state opened business to 25 percent but said no religious service at all. all the supreme court did was say churches had the same right to be open to 25 percent.

Attending a religious service is a far cry from burning women at the stake. Communist democrats would like to eliminate religion in all forms just like the parent country China.
Not at all. True witness bearing is morally important. Insist on a simple plan for a Commune of Heaven on Earth from Communists!
Why would I bother giving you attention when all you want to do is play with yourself. Go sit in the corner and smell your fingers.

Not at all. True witness bearing is morally important. Insist on a simple plan for a Commune of Heaven on Earth from Communists!
Why would I bother giving you attention when all you want to do is play with yourself. Go sit in the corner and smell your fingers.
If you believed more in equality, you would sit next to me, and then tell me to go smell my fingers.

Forum List

Back