It is Way Past Time to Lower Drinking Age to 18 Again

Puritans were the first ones here and we still follow many of their rules.

It is absurd that an 18 year old can be responsible for driving a million dollar lethal tank but society says they cant handle a beer.

Bullshit. These stupid laws need to be removed as they discriminate on the basis of age against US citizens.

Discrimination isn't even the real issue. The 21 year old drinking age has caused more harm than good. In most other countries alcohol is a normal part of life. In many places in Europe, for example, kids have wine with meals and they're raised to consume it responsibly unlike the United States where prohibition to young adults has only resulted in abuse and a wasteful use of taxpayer resources to enforce it.
In this case it's OK to be more like Europe, I guess.

Boys dont stop growing till at least 21. No way they should be allowed to drink in public.

Tell that to every other country in the world and most of them have less issues with alcohol abuse than we do. Americans are the only ones in the western world with this asinine taboo of alcohol.

Sure, tell that to the parents of kids who died, either by driving drunk, or by a drunk driver behind the wheel.

This law is blatant age discrimination toward young people.

12314046_995392180519762_5906847690152620817_n.jpg

It is absurd that an 18 year old can be responsible for driving a million dollar lethal tank but society says they cant handle a beer.

Bullshit. These stupid laws need to be removed as they discriminate on the basis of age against US citizens.
I was opposed to this ridiculous law, until I read statistics about how suicide figures dropped in young people after this law was passed.

Start with legalising pot. You can't have kids going to prison for that crap.

Why can't we do both?
Pot isn't addictive. Very few people enjoy the feeling and smoke it for life. Alcohol is a terrible affliction which some people happen to be genetically predisposed to. They simply cannot not be an alcoholic if they fall into a drinking culture.

I think pot is addictive. More studies have shown it is.
And people do stupid stupid things while stoned on it. I sure did. :redface::redface::redface:

You started off with an opinion, and then tried to back it up with a claim that has no proof other than your opinion, because if it did, you would have posted a link.

It was then backed up with a bit of some generic experiences where you claimed to do stupid things while stoned. Well, my question is, was cannabis the only thing you did stupid things on? How did you fare with beer? Scotch perhaps? And, did you ever try something like meth, cocaine or heroin?

Just because you were stupid while you smoked cannabis (you admitted it yourself in your post), doesn't mean that everyone else is going to be stupid as well.

Some of us can handle our smoke.

decriminalize all drugs and boooze! No one should ever serve a second in person for doing it or be fined. Want to talk to me about individual freedoms?

If the European soccer fathers with their sons in the bar drinking were butt fucking them, that means we are supposed to allow that too? We are Americans and will NEVER be like the Europeans.

Boys dont stop growing till at least 21. No way they should be allowed to drink in public.
Then raise the legal age to join the armed forces!

If you are old enough to kill for your country, you are old enough to have a beer!

If you are old enough to die for your country, you are old enough to have a beer!

Discrimination isn't even the real issue. The 21 year old drinking age has caused more harm than good. In most other countries alcohol is a normal part of life. In many places in Europe, for example, kids have wine with meals and they're raised to consume it responsibly unlike the United States where prohibition to young adults has only resulted in abuse and a wasteful use of taxpayer resources to enforce it.
You can still give your kids a wine with dinner.

Not at a public restaurant.

I've been to Europe and Asia multiple times. There is nothing unusual about seeing kids in bars. When I was in Italy this past fall I was in a pub across the street from the AirBnB apartment we rented and there was a soccer game going on. There were a bunch of kids in there with their fathers, just sitting watching the game. No big deal. In the U.S the police would have raided the fucking place, shut it down, and pulled their bar's liquor license because kids were there.

When you travel outside the United States you begin to realize how ass backwards Americans are and it's not just with alcohol.
Pot should be legalized, and regulated, and taxed.

And that is coming from a true conservative Christian.

But, go and start your own thread about pot, this is a thread about the legal drinking age. Thus you are trolling this thread.

Why can't we do both?
Pot isn't addictive. Very few people enjoy the feeling and smoke it for life. Alcohol is a terrible affliction which some people happen to be genetically predisposed to. They simply cannot not be an alcoholic if they fall into a drinking culture.
If you have yet to figure out, that everything can be addictive, from food to pot, then how are you old enough to even comment on anything?

Tell that to every other country in the world and most of them have less issues with alcohol abuse than we do. Americans are the only ones in the western world with this asinine taboo of alcohol.

Sure, tell that to the parents of kids who died, either by driving drunk, or by a drunk driver behind the wheel.
:bsflag:

Drinking and driving is just plain ole stupid, and has nothing to do with the age limit of drinking. It's people who just don't care about anything except their own wants.

Anyone caught driving while intoxicated, should be locked up for life, period!

You are either an adult at 18 or you aren't

If you people want the age of majority to be 21 then fine but you ca't call someone an adult and then deny them the right to make their own choices

Why can't we do both?

And people do stupid stupid things while stoned on it. I sure did. :redface::redface::redface:

You started off with an opinion, and then tried to back it up with a claim that has no proof other than your opinion, because if it did, you would have posted a link.

It was then backed up with a bit of some generic experiences where you claimed to do stupid things while stoned. Well, my question is, was cannabis the only thing you did stupid things on? How did you fare with beer? Scotch perhaps? And, did you ever try something like meth, cocaine or heroin?

Just because you were stupid while you smoked cannabis (you admitted it yourself in your post), doesn't mean that everyone else is going to be stupid as well.

Some of us can handle our smoke.
And just like alcohol, some people CAN'T handle their smoke.

I can drink a case of beer(24) and still mow my yard, my wife cant drink 2 beers and stay awake. So should I assume that most people are like me, or most people are like her?

It's a false assumption, either way. A person doesn't know how they can handle pot or alcohol until they have one, or more. There are to many factors to number, but some of them are metabolism, weight, oxygen in the body, past history, etc.

decriminalize all drugs and boooze! No one should ever serve a second in person for doing it or be fined. Want to talk to me about individual freedoms?
You are wrong!

If a parent lets a 12 year old drink or do drugs, then they should be jailed.

Come on, grow a brain.

Epidemiology of binge drinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are beating Canada, but Britain and Australia are kicking your ass.

It seems that binge drinking is more related to or caused by taboos against alcohol as many young people feel the need to take full advantage of the few private occasions that they do get to have alcohol.

Why can't we do both?

even aspirin and coca cola are ADDICTIVE------anything that MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER ----is addictive. -------brisk long walks are ADDICTIVE.

its also a matter of respect for the law. The 21 year old drinking age is defined by how many people don't follow it, rather than do follow it. It's feel good law, that is occasionally enforced, but is broken several of orders of magnitude over the number of times someone is punished for it.

The same thing is seen with laws against pot.

You are wrong!

If a parent lets a 12 year old drink or do drugs, then they should be jailed.

Come on, grow a brain.

So a parent should be jailed for doing what parents have been doing for the last 6,000 years?

Good Gawd.

Forum List

Back