Jason Chaffetz To Poor: Your iPhone Or Your Doctor

Poor people need to suffer more

Healthcare should only pe provided to you once you have no possessions

"Poor" people have plenty.
I was out to breakfast with my son one morning. I saw a woman with a thin coat on and an old purse in freezing weather and went outside to give her some money because I knew she was on hard times. By the time I got outside she disappeared! I thought what is going on?

I walked around the building. The cook was in the back smoking a cigarette and told me that she lives in the woods and uses their bathroom. She and 4 other people lived out there in a tent! It was mid winter - very, very cold. I asked him to give her the money and he said bad idea. We feed them food here for free and they use drugs so the money would go to drugs.

So I gave him the money and told him to take it because he was just getting on his feet too. But he said he wouldn't spend it on himself. instead he used it to buy a huge bag of dog food for a homeless dog who lived in an igloo style dog house back there!

I decided to go buy the homeless people in the woods some coats. So I found 5 coats and some sweaters at the store and went back to give it to the cook! The cook takes me around back to show me that he bought the dog food - a huge bag of it - bless his precious heart, he wanted me to know that he used the money as he said he would. Then he took the coats for me and gave them to the people.

The cook had been homeless but got a job there and was getting on his feet and no longer used drugs or alcohol. So the cook was in the same type of situation they were in and knew first hand it was their decision (for now) to stay there.

I made friends with that cook and when I look at him I see someone who is going to make it and someone who truly cares about other people because he has been down himself. I really felt God blessed me to meet that cook. He is a precious young man.

I forgot the point of this story! Not all poor people have plenty. That was it. Goodnight!

Last edited:

I was out to breakfast with my son one morning. I saw a woman with a thin coat on and an old purse in freezing weather and went outside to give her some money because I knew she was on hard times. By the time I got outside she disappeared! I thought what is going on?

I walked around the building. The cook was in the back smoking a cigarette and told me that she lives in the woods and uses their bathroom. She and 4 other people lived out there in a tent! It was mid winter - very, very cold. I asked him to give her the money and he said bad idea. We feed them food here for free and they use drugs so the money would go to drugs.

So I gave him the money and told him to take it because he was just getting on his feet too. But he said he wouldn't spend it on himself. instead he used it to buy a huge bag of dog food for a homeless dog who lived in an igloo style dog house back there!

I decided to go buy the homeless people in the woods some coats. So I found 5 coats and some sweaters at the store and went back to give it to the cook! The cook takes me around back to show me that he bought the dog food - a huge bag of it - bless his precious heart, he wanted me to know that he used the money as he said he would. Then he took the coats for me and gave them to the people.

The cook had been homeless but got a job there and was getting on his feet and no longer used drugs or alcohol. So the cook was in the same type of situation they were in and knew first hand it was their decision (for now) to stay there.

I made friends with that cook and when I look at him I see someone who is going to make it and someone who truly cares about other people because he has been down himself. I really felt God blessed me to meet that cook. He is a precious young man.

Thanks for sharing.

Not sure what that had to do with my post.

Many people below the poverty line have more in terms of material goods than the solid "middle class" family had in the mid 50's.

Are poor people not supposed to have a phone? Really?

Some phone plans are cheap. Pay as you go plans mean low monthly rates and generally a phone with no bells and whistles. More than most of us grew up having.

Obamaphones are free. If a person is poor, they probably have an Obamaphone. Google applying for an Obamaphone. Not difficult.

If you have an expensive iPhone, you also have the extra fee of $25 to $30. That is necessary with any of the phones that can go online. So, yea, if you are subsidized by tax payers, it's not cool to have things that many tax payers have trouble affording.

Why would someone spend what money they have on things that they don't need while ignoring the important things they do need? Many people went without little extras just to ensure they could afford the basic necessities.

How many tax payers have to choose between necessities and wants? I realize the left has no sympathy for those who lost their insurance after Obamacare passed because they could no longer afford it. Many lost their doctors and plans and had to pay a lot more for less. Again, no sympathy from the left. It's because many of those tax payers don't vote Democrat so you guys don't give a shit.

It's not that people have no right to have a phone. There is a limit on what you can expect other people to hand you for free. You also have the right to get a job and pay for your own shit.

It's the left that took away some people's rights to have health insurance by taking the plans they chose and making it so they couldn't afford the new ones.
The ten dollars a month for the poor is not available with most pay as you go plans. That ten dollars a month provided for the poor can be applied only if the company will do it and they do not in many areas. In larger Metro areas a person may be able to get 200 minutes per month with some carriers. It depends again on the area.

As far as insurance goes ACA, (Obama care) does not help all of the poor if any of the poor. If anyone says it does they are lying or severely misinformed. It needs to be scrapped.

Really? I thought TracFones were the same from coast to coast. Just buy one at Walmart, or someplace like it, and purchase a card.

Last edited:

Thank you Jeri. We met a lot of people over the years on hard times. Some as you point out cash or money will not help. Others just need enough help to get to their next step. I used to pay people that were broke down to wash windows, pick up cigarette butts or whatever. We also had a lot that would attempt to panhandle on our job sites. They would take kids they were watching, (sisters or friends) and beg money to pay for their habits.

I had this one couple once I bought a car for so they could work. It was Christmas and I had the cash in my pocket, helped them get a house to rent and put them to work. Within six months they were buying drugs and not doing the work. I gave them a half a dozen tries at getting it together but when they told my 14 year old his mom was a bitch that was the straw that broke the camels back. I fired them.

There were other people over the years I had given or gotten a car so they could work and it worked out beautifully for them long term. It just depends on the individuals.

Are poor people not supposed to have a phone? Really?

Some phone plans are cheap. Pay as you go plans mean low monthly rates and generally a phone with no bells and whistles. More than most of us grew up having.

Obamaphones are free. If a person is poor, they probably have an Obamaphone. Google applying for an Obamaphone. Not difficult.

If you have an expensive iPhone, you also have the extra fee of $25 to $30. That is necessary with any of the phones that can go online. So, yea, if you are subsidized by tax payers, it's not cool to have things that many tax payers have trouble affording.

Why would someone spend what money they have on things that they don't need while ignoring the important things they do need? Many people went without little extras just to ensure they could afford the basic necessities.

How many tax payers have to choose between necessities and wants? I realize the left has no sympathy for those who lost their insurance after Obamacare passed because they could no longer afford it. Many lost their doctors and plans and had to pay a lot more for less. Again, no sympathy from the left. It's because many of those tax payers don't vote Democrat so you guys don't give a shit.

It's not that people have no right to have a phone. There is a limit on what you can expect other people to hand you for free. You also have the right to get a job and pay for your own shit.

It's the left that took away some people's rights to have health insurance by taking the plans they chose and making it so they couldn't afford the new ones.
The ten dollars a month for the poor is not available with most pay as you go plans. That ten dollars a month provided for the poor can be applied only if the company will do it and they do not in many areas. In larger Metro areas a person may be able to get 200 minutes per month with some carriers. It depends again on the area.

As far as insurance goes ACA, (Obama care) does not help all of the poor if any of the poor. If anyone says it does they are lying or severely misinformed. It needs to be scrapped.

Really? I thought TracFones were the same from coast to coast. Just buy one at Walmart, or someplace like it, and purchase a card.
Oh hell no I'll stick with my $35 dollar cell that actually works here and I get Internet too.

58bed66b1900003600bd73cb.jpeg

Jason Chaffetz: Poor People Shouldn’t Buy iPhones If They Need Money For Health Care

The chairman of the House Oversight Committee says millions of Americans who might lose health insurance need to “make a choice.”

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) is proposing a quick fix for low-income Americans unable to afford coverage under President Donald Trump’s newly proposed health care law: Don’t buy an iPhone.

The American Health Care Act, unveiled by House Republican leaders Monday, offers less financial assistance to low-income people than former President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act, so it would likely result in millions of Americans losing the health coverage they have today.

But the Republican chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee said Tuesday that Americans who might struggle to afford insurance under the GOP plan simply need to make the choice to “invest in health care.”

“Americans have choices, and they’ve got to make a choice,” Chaffetz said Tuesday on CNN. “So rather than getting that new iPhone that they just love and want to go spend hundreds of dollars on that, maybe they should invest in their own health care. They’ve got to make those decisions themselves.”

More: Jason Chaffetz: Poor People Shouldn't Buy iPhones If They Need Money For Health Care

Wow! Just wow! Why would anyone have to choose between healthcare and an iPhone? Most likely those who are on the financial edge don't have a home landline. Are they not supposed to have some form of electronic communication?
I choose to not invest in a War on Drugs; IPhones and health care are more important than a "War on Drugs."

Thanks for sharing.

Not sure what that had to do with my post.

Many people below the poverty line have more in terms of material goods than the solid "middle class" family had in the mid 50's.
I reckon that is true too. I have a TV that is the old kind with the round front (very old) and I don't own a cell phone! But I am not poor either. I just do not see the sense in buying a new tv when we don't even watch tv.

Thank you Jeri. We met a lot of people over the years on hard times. Some as you point out cash or money will not help. Others just need enough help to get to their next step. I used to pay people that were broke down to wash windows, pick up cigarette butts or whatever. We also had a lot that would attempt to panhandle on our job sites. They would take kids they were watching, (sisters or friends) and beg money to pay for their habits.

I had this one couple once I bought a car for so they could work. It was Christmas and I had the cash in my pocket, helped them get a house to rent and put them to work. Within six months they were buying drugs and not doing the work. I gave them a half a dozen tries at getting it together but when they told my 14 year old his mom was a bitch that was the straw that broke the camels back. I fired them.

There were other people over the years I had given or gotten a car so they could work and it worked out beautifully for them long term. It just depends on the individuals.
We've had some similar experiences and all I can say is that God knows our heart..and we did it unto Him.

I agree 100% with Chaffetz, there are millions of Americans who make really bad choices when it comes to their priorities.

This is what happens folks when you start up a new entitlement. Obamacare, just like all other government entitlements, teaches Americans they can make bad choices, and the government will still be there enabling you the whole way.

Poor people DON'T have iPhones!!!!! The cheapest one is about $500. If the poor have any kind of cell phone it is probably a flip phone or a BushPhone.
If you believe that you're an idiot. Spend an afternoon in a grocery store in Compton. You can sit there and watch people on their newest version Iphones wearing Air Jordans while handing the cashier food stamps. Maybe follow them out to the parking lot and watch them load up all the groceries you paid for into their late model car with 20" wheels and low profile tires.
LIAR!
You've never been to Compton. You just spout Trumpian racist stereotypes.
Retard, I spent two weeks in Compton modernizing their computers. Spent the entire two weeks thinking I was getting paid to upgrade the systems of people that paid a fraction of their grocery bills that kept that store open. It was like working at a democrat convention of nobody producing shit but they had so much of other peoples money they needed top of the line accounting to keep track of it.

There's nothing Trumpian, racist or stereo typical about it. It's the fucking truth. Deal with it.

After the town halls Chaffetz knew he was against the wall when he comes up for his next election... he double-downed with this statement, which is just false rightwing narrative. It's funny to listen to people that don't understand how the system works make statements about it. I know of at least one of the contracted Obamaphone companies, Virgin mobile, you can't even use a "smart phone" on the program. Also, most poor people I know that do have an iPhone, have gotten them used from rich people that are continually upgrading to the new version... and the poor people get the iPhone and then get a unlimited data only plan from companies like Straight Talk. Chaffetz is so out of touch, and it is going to make him unemployed soon.

I agree 100% with Chaffetz, there are millions of Americans who make really bad choices when it comes to their priorities.

This is what happens folks when you start up a new entitlement. Obamacare, just like all other government entitlements, teaches Americans they can make bad choices, and the government will still be there enabling you the whole way.
sort of like the rich?

If you choose a cell phone over health insurance that's YOUR choice, YOUR problem...not the tax parts'.

After the town halls Chaffetz knew he was against the wall when he comes up for his next election... he double-downed with this statement, which is just false rightwing narrative. It's funny to listen to people that don't understand how the system works make statements about it. I know of at least one of the contracted Obamaphone companies, Virgin mobile, you can't even use a "smart phone" on the program. Also, most poor people I know that do have an iPhone, have gotten them used from rich people that are continually upgrading to the new version... and the poor people get the iPhone and then get a unlimited data only plan from companies like Straight Talk. Chaffetz is so out of touch, and it is going to make him unemployed soon.
Yeah, Jason won with 74% of the vote last time around. I'm sure he felt up against a wall there.

Yeah, Jason won with 74% of the vote last time around. I'm sure he felt up against a wall there.

Yeah... you do understand things change over the course of 4 years right?

Yeah... you do understand things change over the course of 4 years right?
Yeah...not that much in his district. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Forum List

Back