Jason Chaffetz To Poor: Your iPhone Or Your Doctor

No need to call people nasty names, Luddly. If you disagree say so and move on. You're taking things way too personally.

images
Some of us have those laptops or computers because other people threw them away even though they were still fixable to be usable ;)

Its easy to make assumptions without actually knowing the ins and outs of other peoples lives.

:thewave:
I apologize. My point is directed on the fact that people in America who are in the system collecting EBT, Section 8 housing, Obama phone, Wick, etc are not poor according to 10/40 window standards. Not even close.
TY, Jeri.

I was a single mom with two children at eighteen. If it were not for help we literally would have starved or I would have had no choice but to stay in a situation that very possibly one of the children or I would have been severely injured or even died at some point. It took a few years but ultimately I was able to work out of that situation and eventually I employed over forty people.

We need programs to help people when they need it but we need to make sure the money is spent wisely. It hasn't been for years.
I'm sorry. You said you got in a car wreck, are you okay? Did you sustain any injuries?

images

Remember these?

Funny. Do you know how much a landline costs in many areas - especially if one can't afford to bundle TV, Internet, and phone?
$95.00+ a month here an you cannot just get Internet without the landline.

$95 is a lot per month for many people. It costs about $10 per month for a TracFone or similar cheap cellphone.
TracFones are a rip. They were charging off up to 6 minutes for 1 minute or less here. They may work better in the metro areas but I would never buy one again.

Some of us have those laptops or computers because other people threw them away even though they were still fixable to be usable ;)

Its easy to make assumptions without actually knowing the ins and outs of other peoples lives.

I apologize. My point is directed on the fact that people in America who are in the system collecting EBT, Section 8 housing, Obama phone, Wick, etc are not poor according to 10/40 window standards. Not even close.
TY, Jeri.

I was a single mom with two children at eighteen. If it were not for help we literally would have starved or I would have had no choice but to stay in a situation that very possibly one of the children or I would have been severely injured or even died at some point. It took a few years but ultimately I was able to work out of that situation and eventually I employed over forty people.

We need programs to help people when they need it but we need to make sure the money is spent wisely. It hasn't been for years.
I'm sorry. You said you got in a car wreck, are you okay? Did you sustain any injuries?
I will be okay, thank you for asking.

images

Remember these?

Funny. Do you know how much a landline costs in many areas - especially if one can't afford to bundle TV, Internet, and phone?

$95 is a lot per month for many people. It costs about $10 per month for a TracFone or similar cheap cellphone.
TracFones are a rip. They were charging off up to 6 minutes for 1 minute or less here. They may work better in the metro areas but I would never buy one again.

Really? We use a TracFone sometimes on trips - and the charge is always the same: One minute for One minute. No more roaming charges.

Are poor people not supposed to have a phone? Really?

I never said that, but a basic phone doesn't cost over 500 bucks

My Jitterbug cell phone: less than $100 to buy it and only $28 a month to use it. Fantastic phone with great customer service.

Does the jitterbug phone have big buttons?

Does a wild bear poop in the woods?
Is the pope Catholic?
Do red necks get into bar fights?
Does Campbell make soup?
Does Paula Deen like butter?
Do accordion players wear diamond rings?
Is our southern border secure (wait, that one doesn't count).

It's got big buttons which makes it very easy for old folks like me to input numbers. It's also got a flashlight function. The best thing about it is that it is menue-driven with simple questions with yes-or-no responses which enable you to do what you have to do without having to read an instruction book.
I may look into getting one. My husband wants me to have one when I drive but I figure everyone on the road has one so they can make the call for me! I guess that makes me a bit of a Lemmocrat... Hey! Lemme use your phone....... I've got an emergency and I don't have one!

Last edited:
images

Remember these?

That's outrageous. $95.00 a month for internet? I'd like to see our government open the market place on that and make the prices competitive in order to bring those costs way down.
I'm going to write my legislators. The thing that really irks me is the phone company received millions to put the fiber optics in for people here could have reasonable service. Its a big bag of poo I started untangling after learning about some other crap they have going. I spent $146.00 in Dec so both Rod and I would have a phone for the month. It wouldn't make a call to the sheriff's office here and we were within 500 feet of the freeway.

58bed66b1900003600bd73cb.jpeg

Jason Chaffetz: Poor People Shouldn’t Buy iPhones If They Need Money For Health Care

The chairman of the House Oversight Committee says millions of Americans who might lose health insurance need to “make a choice.”

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) is proposing a quick fix for low-income Americans unable to afford coverage under President Donald Trump’s newly proposed health care law: Don’t buy an iPhone.

The American Health Care Act, unveiled by House Republican leaders Monday, offers less financial assistance to low-income people than former President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act, so it would likely result in millions of Americans losing the health coverage they have today.

But the Republican chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee said Tuesday that Americans who might struggle to afford insurance under the GOP plan simply need to make the choice to “invest in health care.”

“Americans have choices, and they’ve got to make a choice,” Chaffetz said Tuesday on CNN. “So rather than getting that new iPhone that they just love and want to go spend hundreds of dollars on that, maybe they should invest in their own health care. They’ve got to make those decisions themselves.”

More: Jason Chaffetz: Poor People Shouldn't Buy iPhones If They Need Money For Health Care

Wow! Just wow! Why would anyone have to choose between healthcare and an iPhone? Most likely those who are on the financial edge don't have a home landline. Are they not supposed to have some form of electronic communication?

If your too poor to get your sniffles taken care of, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WITH AN IPHONE?

images

Remember these?

Really? We use a TracFone sometimes on trips - and the charge is always the same: One minute for One minute. No more roaming charges.
It has been over a year but burned for five years on a pay by the card deal I won't go back. A friend has one still and it still does that on his.

It has been over a year but burned for five years on a pay by the card deal I won't go back. A friend has one still and it still does that on his.

Really? We haven't paid any roaming charges for over five years. We usually buy a one-year card at Walmart and it also gives us double minutes. Costs about $100. We have accumulated over 5,000 unused minutes.

Last edited:
images

Remember these?

How dare he suggest people be responsible for their decisions!

You libs are a fucking joke. lol

Last edited:

Really? We haven't paid any roaming charges for over five years. We usually buy a one-year card at Walmart and it also gives us double minutes. Costs about $100.
Yes really. Like all things it probably depends on where you live.

TY, Jeri.

I will be praying for you to be 100% tomorrow morning (in my prayer time with my husband). Sorry to hear about the accident. As your vehicle was totaled that was no small accident.

I never said that, but a basic phone doesn't cost over 500 bucks

My Jitterbug cell phone: less than $100 to buy it and only $28 a month to use it. Fantastic phone with great customer service.

Does the jitterbug phone have big buttons?

Does a wild bear poop in the woods?
Is the pope Catholic?
Do red necks get into bar fights?
Does Campbell make soup?
Does Paula Deen like butter?
Do accordion players wear diamond rings?
Is our southern border secure (wait, that one doesn't count).

It's got big buttons which makes it very easy for old folks like me to input numbers. It's also got a flashlight function. The best thing about it is that it is menue-driven with simple questions with yes-or-no responses which enable you to do what you have to do without having to read an instruction book.
I may look into getting one. My husband wants me to have one when I drive but I figure everyone on the road has one so they can make the call for me! I guess that makes me a bit of a Lemmocrat... Hey! Lemme use your phone....... I've got an emergency and I don't have one!
Ear bud-mouth piece and you can use voice dial with a lot of those phones now

Some phone plans are cheap. Pay as you go plans mean low monthly rates and generally a phone with no bells and whistles. More than most of us grew up having.

Obamaphones are free. If a person is poor, they probably have an Obamaphone. Google applying for an Obamaphone. Not difficult.

If you have an expensive iPhone, you also have the extra fee of $25 to $30. That is necessary with any of the phones that can go online. So, yea, if you are subsidized by tax payers, it's not cool to have things that many tax payers have trouble affording.

Why would someone spend what money they have on things that they don't need while ignoring the important things they do need? Many people went without little extras just to ensure they could afford the basic necessities.

How many tax payers have to choose between necessities and wants? I realize the left has no sympathy for those who lost their insurance after Obamacare passed because they could no longer afford it. Many lost their doctors and plans and had to pay a lot more for less. Again, no sympathy from the left. It's because many of those tax payers don't vote Democrat so you guys don't give a shit.

It's not that people have no right to have a phone. There is a limit on what you can expect other people to hand you for free. You also have the right to get a job and pay for your own shit.

It's the left that took away some people's rights to purchase their own health insurance by taking away the plans they chose and making it so they couldn't afford the new ones.

TY, Jeri.

I will be praying for you to be 100% tomorrow morning (in my prayer time with my husband). Sorry to hear about the accident. As your vehicle was totaled that was no small accident.
Thank God the air bags didn't go off (its an older car) or it would have been much worse. It shoved the whole front back about four inches.

Some phone plans are cheap. Pay as you go plans mean low monthly rates and generally a phone with no bells and whistles. More than most of us grew up having.

Obamaphones are free. If a person is poor, they probably have an Obamaphone. Google applying for an Obamaphone. Not difficult.

If you have an expensive iPhone, you also have the extra fee of $25 to $30. That is necessary with any of the phones that can go online. So, yea, if you are subsidized by tax payers, it's not cool to have things that many tax payers have trouble affording.

Why would someone spend what money they have on things that they don't need while ignoring the important things they do need? Many people went without little extras just to ensure they could afford the basic necessities.

How many tax payers have to choose between necessities and wants? I realize the left has no sympathy for those who lost their insurance after Obamacare passed because they could no longer afford it. Many lost their doctors and plans and had to pay a lot more for less. Again, no sympathy from the left. It's because many of those tax payers don't vote Democrat so you guys don't give a shit.

It's not that people have no right to have a phone. There is a limit on what you can expect other people to hand you for free. You also have the right to get a job and pay for your own shit.

It's the left that took away some people's rights to have health insurance by taking the plans they chose and making it so they couldn't afford the new ones.
The ten dollars a month for the poor is not available with most pay as you go plans. That ten dollars a month provided for the poor can be applied only if the company will do it and they do not in many areas. In larger Metro areas a person may be able to get 200 minutes per month with some carriers. It depends again on the area.

As far as insurance goes ACA, (Obama care) does not help all of the poor if any of the poor. If anyone says it does they are lying or severely misinformed. It needs to be scrapped.

Forum List

Back