Jeb Bush: Next president should privatize Social Security

And so, its not really insurance. Thank you.
It is. Its called Social Security Retirement Insurance
The fact that it is called insurance on no way means it IS insurance.
It is insurance because it fits the definition of the word "insurance".
Snicker...
What does SocSec insure against?
Old age and disability.

Hence the name, Old Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance.

I'm sorry, but anyone who peruses this board for ten minutes realizes there are A LOT of rubes in this world. And those rubes are ripe for the plucking by financial frauds who will strip them and leave them naked in the street.

And then those millions upon million upon millions of bankrupt rubes will demand the government support them when they turn 65 and have no nest egg.

I'm sure Wall Street loooooooooves the idea of more money falling into their hands. Love, love, love it.
Why do you have to pay someone to invest for you when you can do it yourself.

Shit you can look up Warren Buffet's portfolio and copy it if you want just get an E trade account and pay a small fee for each trade
Oh my God. That is one of the stupidest investment strategies I have ever heard. You'd be one of those dead broke idiots at 65 I was talking about.

another idiot who doesn't understand a simple example.

All I was trying to illustrate was that you don't have to pay someone to invest for you there are thousands of resources available and looking at the portfolios of successful investors is merely one of them
:badgrin:

My God, you are clueless.

DIY investing. "Thousands of resources available". Holy shit, the frauds would just loooooooove the millions of rubes like you!

I do just fine thank you very much
No, you don't. You're full of shit.

Shit you can look up Warren Buffet's portfolio and copy it if you want just get an E trade account and pay a small fee for each trade
Oh my God. That is one of the stupidest investment strategies I have ever heard. You'd be one of those dead broke idiots at 65 I was talking about.

All I was trying to illustrate was that you don't have to pay someone to invest for you there are thousands of resources available and looking at the portfolios of successful investors is merely one of them

DIY investing. "Thousands of resources available". Holy shit, the frauds would just loooooooove the millions of rubes like you!

I do just fine thank you very much
No, you don't. You're full of shit.

I bet he really does copy WB's portfolio.

Jesus christ, what is wrong with this nut?
"
WASHINGTON – Jeb Bush thinks the next president will need to privatize Social Security, he said at a town hall meeting in New Hampshire on Tuesday – acknowledging that his brother attempted to do so and failed. It’s a position sure to be attacked by both Republicans and Democrats.

Bush has previously said he would support raising the retirement age to get Social Security benefits, a common position among Republicans. And he backed a partial privatization that House Republicans have proposed that would allow people to choose private accounts.

The future of Social Security has become one of the most hotly contested issues in national politics, and both parties have accused the other of threatening its survival. Republicans argue that Democrats’ refusal to change the program will lead to its bankruptcy. Democrats sayprivatization would kill the program and leave elderly Americans at the mercy of the stock market. Plus, any discussion of changing the system often creates fear in older Americans beyond or nearing the age of retirement, who also tend to vote in the greatest numbers.

Republicans have split on the answer to fix the program, which could begin to pay out more than it takes in as more baby boomers retire and younger generations aren’t able to pay enough into the system to keep it going. Understanding the fear privatization proposals create, some Republicans have argued that the retirement age should be increased or means-testing established instead. Many Democrats advocate raising the ceiling for the tax that funds it.
"
Jeb Bush Next president should privatize Social Security
The one good thing is, he will never get elected now..

The fortune accumulated by the bush crime family should be used to shore up social security. Might as well throw in the p.o.s. Cheney's fortune as well.

Last edited:
Claudette is absolutely right about "There was billions in SS before LBJ needed money for the Vietnam War." However, she ignores the GOP never put it back when the could have done so. No privatization ever.

And so, its not really insurance. Thank you.
Snicker...
Old age and disability.
-You- related the necessity of SS to poor investment choices, in that it is necessary to cover people because you often do not know that your choices are bad until after yo make them.
Now you argue that SS is not there to protect people from their choices but from getting old.
Make up your mind, please.

I'm sorry, but anyone who peruses this board for ten minutes realizes there are A LOT of rubes in this world. And those rubes are ripe for the plucking by financial frauds who will strip them and leave them naked in the street.

And then those millions upon million upon millions of bankrupt rubes will demand the government support them when they turn 65 and have no nest egg.

I'm sure Wall Street loooooooooves the idea of more money falling into their hands. Love, love, love it.

"Come on down to Bob's Waterfront Properties Investments and we will make you a millionaire by Christmas!"
You think that
a) There arent thousands of people investing by themselves right now and doing fine (hint: Im one of them)?
and
b) THere arent fraudulent schemes already?

Snicker...
Old age and disability.
-You- related the necessity of SS to poor investment choices, in that it is necessary to cover people because you often do not know that your choices are bad until after yo make them.
Now you argue that SS is not there to protect people from their choices but from getting old.

Are you seriously so moronic as to not realize the consequences of poor investment choices are the worst when you are too old to work?

What's moronic is diverting 5% of the GDP into the stock market. The obvious result is artificially inflated stock prices. It would be better to do away with SS completely than to have a government program whereby you were required to invest in stocks and corporate bonds.

"Come on down to Bob's Waterfront Properties Investments and we will make you a millionaire by Christmas!"
You think that
a) There arent thousands of people investing by themselves right now and doing fine (hint: Im one of them)?
and

The survivorship bias is strong in this one.

Jesus christ, what is wrong with this nut?
"
WASHINGTON – Jeb Bush thinks the next president will need to privatize Social Security, he said at a town hall meeting in New Hampshire on Tuesday – acknowledging that his brother attempted to do so and failed. It’s a position sure to be attacked by both Republicans and Democrats.

Bush has previously said he would support raising the retirement age to get Social Security benefits, a common position among Republicans. And he backed a partial privatization that House Republicans have proposed that would allow people to choose private accounts.

The future of Social Security has become one of the most hotly contested issues in national politics, and both parties have accused the other of threatening its survival. Republicans argue that Democrats’ refusal to change the program will lead to its bankruptcy. Democrats sayprivatization would kill the program and leave elderly Americans at the mercy of the stock market. Plus, any discussion of changing the system often creates fear in older Americans beyond or nearing the age of retirement, who also tend to vote in the greatest numbers.

Republicans have split on the answer to fix the program, which could begin to pay out more than it takes in as more baby boomers retire and younger generations aren’t able to pay enough into the system to keep it going. Understanding the fear privatization proposals create, some Republicans have argued that the retirement age should be increased or means-testing established instead. Many Democrats advocate raising the ceiling for the tax that funds it.
"
Jeb Bush Next president should privatize Social Security
The one good thing is, he will never get elected now..

The fortune accumulated by the bush crime family should be used to shore up social security. Might as well throw in the p.o.s. Cheney's fortune as well.
Spoken like a good commie. Comrade Stalin would be proud.

Snicker...
Old age and disability.
Are you seriously so moronic as to not realize the consequences of poor investment choices are the worst when you are too old to work?
Please decide which you want to argue and get back to me..
It would be better to do away with SS completely than to have a government program whereby you were required to invest in stocks and corporate bonds.
Who would be required to do that?

Imagine everyone's surprise when they discover government spent all the freaking SS money. Is it possible to privatize $2 trillion dollars of IOU's from congress? I don't think so.

The Social Security Trust Fund is invested in US treasuries, the safest investment in the world.
There is no money in the SSI fund. It is spent as it comes in and then some. There are only promises and those must be broken because the system itself owes more than it has.

You think that
and

You understand thats not an answer, right?

You think that
and

You undertsand, I wasn't attempting to give you an answer, right?

I've realized one good thing from this thread: The overwhelming majority of Americans and almost every single senior citizen will never let social security be done away with, so keep moaning and trying to blame seniors. ;)

I've realized one good thing from this thread: The overwhelming majority of Americans and almost every single senior citizen will never let social security be done away with, so keep moaning and trying to blame seniors. ;)
Funny how you "realize" this when nothing you refer to is part of the conversation.

Funny how you "realize" this when nothing you refer to is part of the conversation.
I never attempted to care about the conversation.

You think that
and

You undertsand, I wasn't attempting to give you an answer, right?
Yes. You cannot answer the question because to do so would reveal that you are wrong. So you have to deflect to snark or insult.
Your defeat here is accepted.

Forum List

Back