Jesus Never Existed

Michael Paulkovich finds no mention of Christ in 126 historical texts Daily Mail Online

Does this mean that his mum wasn't impregnated by a magical, invisible sky creature?

Remembering when the DaVinci Code hit. There was talk that it would change forever the way people believed in god but I've seen any evidence that happened. This will surely have the same non-effect because people want and desperately need to believe the myth.

If you don't believe, why do you care that others do?

Why did Columbus care so much that he didn't just continue to let people think the earth was flat?

A lie is a lie no matter how good it makes you feel. We also believe that "they" use religion to control the masses. Ever see 12 years a slave? Same way massa used it to keep his slaves in line.

You guys try to ban abortion because of your beliefs. You make gay people feel bad about themselves. You start wars over it.

Look at the Muslims in Iraq who believe in god and cut people's heads off after praying 5 times a day?

I also don't like being told I'm going to hell and I don't like being lied to.

The Bible is historically inaccurate, factually incorrect, inconsistent and contradictory. It was artificially constructed by a group of men in antiquity and is poorly translated, heavily altered and selectively interpreted. Entire sections of the text have been redacted over time.

I'm agnostic and constantly amazed at the arrogance of atheists.

Why? Oh and by the way, the best position to have is actually agnostic atheist. You would have to be a god yourself to know if there is a god hiding inside a black hole or on the other side of the moon. You'd have to be able to be in all places at the same time.

Atheists see zero evidence god is real and from what it looks like humans made it up.

How do you disagree with me?

I see things everyday that point to a design, not a random series of events. On the other hand I have trouble conceiving of God as such a being is recognized by religious people. This could be because God does not exist, or it could be that I am personally incapable of grasping what is simple faith to others.

All I know for certain is that I can no more claim that God does or does not exist. There is far too much that is beyond the grasp of man to make such a judgement, in my mind.

I see things everyday that point to a design, not a random series of events.

Examples?

Why? Oh and by the way, the best position to have is actually agnostic atheist. You would have to be a god yourself to know if there is a god hiding inside a black hole or on the other side of the moon. You'd have to be able to be in all places at the same time.

Atheists see zero evidence god is real and from what it looks like humans made it up.

I think arrogance was pointed out.

Lets face it, if so called rational people of superior intelligence haven't been able to perceive the deeper implications of bronze age stories written to educate bronze age children then is it any wonder they haven't been able to perceive God?

Why did Columbus care so much that he didn't just continue to let people think the earth was flat?

A lie is a lie no matter how good it makes you feel. We also believe that "they" use religion to control the masses. Ever see 12 years a slave? Same way massa used it to keep his slaves in line.

You guys try to ban abortion because of your beliefs. You make gay people feel bad about themselves. You start wars over it.

Look at the Muslims in Iraq who believe in god and cut people's heads off after praying 5 times a day?

The Bible is historically inaccurate, factually incorrect, inconsistent and contradictory. It was artificially constructed by a group of men in antiquity and is poorly translated, heavily altered and selectively interpreted. Entire sections of the text have been redacted over time.

I see things everyday that point to a design, not a random series of events. On the other hand I have trouble conceiving of God as such a being is recognized by religious people. This could be because God does not exist, or it could be that I am personally incapable of grasping what is simple faith to others.

All I know for certain is that I can no more claim that God does or does not exist. There is far too much that is beyond the grasp of man to make such a judgement, in my mind.

Examples?
DNA, the food chain, the cycle of life, the moon affecting the tides, carbon dioxide feeding the trees, oxygen feeding the beasts, flies laying eggs in a deer carcass, maggots eating flesh, flies eating excrement...

Michael Paulkovich finds no mention of Christ in 126 historical texts Daily Mail Online

Does this mean that his mum wasn't impregnated by a magical, invisible sky creature?

Remembering when the DaVinci Code hit. There was talk that it would change forever the way people believed in god but I've seen any evidence that happened. This will surely have the same non-effect because people want and desperately need to believe the myth.

do you believe a deity would create us and then choose to not communicate with us?......

do you believe a deity would create us and then choose to not communicate with us?......

People of faith tell me that God speaks to them every day. Many believe that the voice we call conscience is the voice of God challenging us to do what is right, not just what we feel like or what feels good at the moment. So it's a matter of perspective. And that is a fair question.

I think most Atheists are atheist about the biblical god or god of the koran or greek gods or old testament. I think most atheists are sure all organized religions are made up.

And if that's true, maybe the entire concept of god is made up?

Forget about the biblical stories of when god visited regularly and got involved. Remember, all of that is complete bullshit. I think we agree on that? Ok, so then we ask ourselves, well then where did this idea of god come from? It came from the thinking you just described. There must be a creator. This can't all be an accident. How did we get here?

So we came up with a "god" at some point in human history and we made up stories about him. In fact there are about 999 other religions besides Christianity that all have their different spin on him.

Is there something that created all this? Who knows. Does it matter if I believe? Does this god send us to hell for not believing?

So remember that when you say you don't like atheists. We see zero evidence. Why is this creator hiding from us? And what does it matter? Does it matter to a maggot that is born out of your shit that you are it's creator? Should the maggot worship you or if it doesn't does it go to hell?

So maybe something did create our universe and we came to be after billions and billions of years after the big bang.

Our human hunch is to say something must have created.us. But until we know best to say we don't know and keep looking.

Examples?
DNA, the food chain, the cycle of life, the moon affecting the tides, carbon dioxide feeding the trees, oxygen feeding the beasts, flies laying eggs in a deer carcass, maggots eating flesh, flies eating excrement...

In other words you are imputing a teleological basis to things that have factual scientific explanations.

Examples?

In other words you are imputing a teleological basis to things that have factual scientific explanations.

Incorrect. I am saying that those things do not seem random at all, rather them seem like an orderly process of life.

People of faith tell me that God speaks to them every day. Many believe that the voice we call conscience is the voice of God challenging us to do what is right, not just what we feel like or what feels good at the moment. So it's a matter of perspective. And that is a fair question.

That's the best our primitive ancestors could do explaining the human condition.

This reminds me of the woman who kidnapped the baby from the hospital because she couldn't have kids. I saw the same thing in a Penguin colony. If a momma penguin's baby dies she tries to kidnap another baby while it's mom is out hunting. No devil made that penguin or that woman do what they did. These are animal instincts and emotions.

Funny us humans think we are gods favorites and not the other animals. The other animals we say were put here for us to use. But then not a lot of other animals murder their own or kill unless it is to eat.

Actually I should take that back. There are other animals where the males will kill new born males to reduce the population or to limit the competition. Are those animals evil? Did the devil make them do what they did?

Infanticide is an often overlooked way of ensuring the survival of the fittest. It has been recorded in a number of species including mammals such as rodents and primates, and fish, insects and amphibians.
Scientific research shows it can provide benefits to the perpetrator, such as increased reproductive opportunities, access to limited resources, direct nutritional benefits, or the prevention of misdirected parental care.

Infanticide is often perpetrated by adult males.

I think most Atheists are atheist about the biblical god or god of the koran or greek gods or old testament. I think most atheists are sure all organized religions are made up.

Forget about the biblical stories of when god visited regularly and got involved. Remember, all of that is complete bullshit. I think we agree on that? Ok, so then we ask ourselves, well then where did this idea of god come from? It came from the thinking you just described. There must be a creator. This can't all be an accident. How did we get here?

So we came up with a "god" at some point in human history and we made up stories about him. In fact there are about 999 other religions besides Christianity that all have their different spin on him.

Is there something that created all this? Who knows. Does it matter if I believe? Does this god send us to hell for not believing?

So remember that when you say you don't like atheists. We see zero evidence. Why is this creator hiding from us? And what does it matter? Does it matter to a maggot that is born out of your shit that you are it's creator? Should the maggot worship you or if it doesn't does it go to hell?

So maybe something did create our universe and we came to be after billions and billions of years after the big bang.

Our human hunch is to say something must have created.us. But until we know best to say we don't know and keep looking.

I'm not saying I don't like atheists, I am saying that when atheists proclaim that theists are basically delusional morons, that the atheist is arrogant.

As for the rest of your post, i wish I had more time but I have to go. Suffice it to say, much of what you discuss is what churns through my mind every time I ruminate over life and why I am agnostic.

“The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute that it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping parasites, thousands of all species are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference.” – Richard Dawkins

Examples?

Incorrect. I am saying that those things do not seem random at all, rather them seem like an orderly process of life.

I recommend that you look up the meaning of the term teleological and then you will see that it describes what you are doing.

“The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute that it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping parasites, thousands of all species are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference.” – Richard Dawkins

"no design" is where you lose me. I see design everywhere and I gotta go, cheers.

I'm not saying I don't like atheists, I am saying that when atheists proclaim that theists are basically delusional morons, that the atheist is arrogant.

As for the rest of your post, i wish I had more time but I have to go. Suffice it to say, much of what you discuss is what churns through my mind every time I ruminate over life and why I am agnostic.

And when theists proclaim that everyone but themselves are going to hell they are behaving like arrogant morons.

Examples?

The appearance of complexity and order in the universe is the result of spontaneous self-organization and pattern formation, caused by chaotic feedback between simple physical laws and rules. All the complexity of the universe, all its apparent richness, even life itself, arises from simple, mindless rules repeated over and over again for billions of years. Current scientific theories are able to clearly explain how complexity and order arise in physical systems. Any lack of understanding does not immediately imply ‘god’.

And when theists proclaim that everyone but themselves are going to hell they are behaving like arrogant morons.
isn't it more arrogant to complain that the God you don't believe in is immoral because he won't let you into the place you don't believe exists....

Yes.

Yes.

Talk about arrogant. You must believe the bible version of god I bet? Because think about the arrogance of man to think that his soul and his alone moves on but a shark and fish and mouse and dog's aura just disappears when they die. Wishful thinking and arrogant.

I'm ok with people who believe in a generic god who created all this just because they can't believe any other way. If that kind of god created us, at least they realize that we are just another animal living on this planet and most of you bible thumpers are right wing global warming deniers so....just saying.

God told me that he created us as a science project, but only got a C-, so he abandoned the whole project and shifted his attention to working out the String Theory....

Historical researcher Michael Paulkovich has claimed that Jesus of Nazareth was a ‘mythical character’ and never existed.

The controversial discovery was apparently made after he found no verifiable mention of Christ from 126 writers during the ‘time of Jesus’ from the first to third centuries.

He says he is a fictional character invented by followers of Christianity to create a figure to worship.

The 126 texts he studied were all written in the period during or soon after the supposed existence of Jesus, when Paulkovich says they would surely have heard of someone as famous as Jesus - but none mention him.

'When I consider those 126 writers, all of whom should have heard of Jesus but did not - and Paul and Marcion and Athenagoras and Matthew with a tetralogy of opposing Christs, the silence from Qumram and Nazareth and Bethlehem, conflicting Bible stories, and so many other mysteries and omissions - I must conclude that Christ is a mythical character,’ he writes.

‘"Jesus of Nazareth" was nothing more than urban (or desert) legend, likely an agglomeration of several evangelic and deluded rabbis who might have existed.’

I just don't think agnostic is strong enough for how I feel. I admitted to theists that the best position to have is agnostic atheist and that opened up a can of worms. You try to explain but do they really care? All they care about is you don't believe their story. Agnostic is kind of saying you're undecided but be honest, are you undecided about there being a generic god or the jesus story? I mean are you agnostic about non christians going to hell? Do you at all believe that you're going to hell for not believing them and their churches and your/our brainwashed parents/ancestors who've been swallowing this shit for thousands of years. Thank god for the age of enlightenment.

Forum List

Back