Jimmy Carter In Hospice Care

Dekster

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2014
Jimmy Carter has discontinued medical treatment and transitioned to in home hospice. Sounds like he doesn't have long.

Former US President Jimmy Carter will begin receiving hospice care, according to a statement from The Carter Center on Saturday.

“After a series of short hospital stays, former US President Jimmy Carter today decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention. He has the full support of his family and his medical team,” the statement said.

Carter turned 98 years old last year.

Jimmy Carter has discontinued medical treatment and transitioned to in home hospice. Sounds like he doesn't have long.

Former US President Jimmy Carter will begin receiving hospice care, according to a statement from The Carter Center on Saturday.

“After a series of short hospital stays, former US President Jimmy Carter today decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention. He has the full support of his family and his medical team,” the statement said.

The last honest President we had.

Mixed feelings about this.

Carter was a decent guy who was a completely ineffective president. He's the last president who controlled both chambers of Congress for his entire term, had a pretty friendly Supreme Court... and still had very little to show for his one term.

He was the nice safe guy we wanted after Nixon, but he wasn't up to the task.

Still, a good guy, and he lived a full life after leaving the presidency

Fun fact, when he does pass, he will be the longest lived president.

When I was first getting aware of politics, I knew of Carter, but Reagan was more prominent in my mind, same with Thatcher over Callaghan.

So I don't know how he did in office.

My analysis of Carter's presidency is that he inherited damaged goods.

A lot of laws passed after Nixon had weakened the prestige and power of the office. US defeat in Vietnam weakened the ability of a president to threaten smaller countries into compliance.

Guy had a long run that was also a functional long run.

You can't ask for much more than that.

Carter was a decent guy who was a completely ineffective president. He's the last president who controlled both chambers of Congress for his entire term, had a pretty friendly Supreme Court... and still had very little to show for his one term.

Actually his policies were largely continued and copied by Reagan; he just had a bad spot in history. His antisemitism cost him a lot during the hostage crisis, failing the rescue mission due to arrogance and not consulting the Israelis for advice on operations in those conditions, and caused him to lose re-election, plus being Pres during the 'oil crisis' hoax pretty much made both Ford and Carter one term Presidents; nobody would have looked good as Prez from 1973 to 1980. Deregulation and cutting capital gains tax rates and rebuilding the military were some of his policies. Some good ideas and some bad.

I suppose there were a couple things I like about Jimmy Carter's presidency. He was a staunch believer in nuclear energy--unlike today's anarchists who control the democratic agenda; and ironically enough, along the same lines, he is the reason we have fracking today which is the bane of the left. The industry had almost died off but during the energy crisis he enacted legislation that incentivized non-traditional energy sources and suddenly fracking was off and running again.

Jimmy Carter, love him or hate him as a US President, seemed like a very decent human being. He has decided to quit hospital care. He will now get hospice care at home. Obviously, this means he is dying. And for that, I am sorry. He really does seem like a good man.

Former President Jimmy Carter to spend 'remaining time' at home receiving hospice care

(I had started a different thread before I saw this one. I’m deleting my thread as much as possible. I just reposted it here instead.)

Forum List

Back