Jodi Arias Penalty

Yep, but it was only for comments from the media (ABC15 link).

Live Video | ABC15.com | Phoenix, Arizona | KNXV-TV | Local and Breaking News, Weather, Radar, Traffic, Life, Sports

Jodi Arias sentencing: No ruling from judge on postponement of penalty phase

"PHOENIX - A judge on Thursday announced she will not rule on a motion to postpone the Jodi Arias sentencing phase to January 2014.
Judge Sherry Stephens set another court date to July 18.
Arias arrived in the courtroom wearing jailhouse stripes and went into the judge's chambers shortly after 8:30 a.m. with attorneys and the aunt of victim Travis Alexander.
Judge Stephens heard motions from both sides in the judge's chambers and was expected to issue a ruling.
Prosecutor Juan Martinez asked Judge Stephens earlier this month to reject the defense team's request to delay until next year, saying none of the reasons offered in their motion warrants a postponement.

Arias' attorneys asked for a postponement to allow their client time to gather witnesses to testify on her behalf.
They also have said they have scheduling conflicts with the current July 18 date set for retrial.
Arias was convicted of first-degree murder May 8 in the June 2008 death of her former boyfriend, Alexander.
About two weeks later, the same panel failed to reach a unanimous decision on whether to her punishment."

Notice what I highlighted in RED. The hearing for the motion is re-set for July 18, same day the 2nd round of the penalty phase was to begin. So if they have schedule conflicts with that date for the retrial, why are they ok with a ruling on the motion that day? HMMMMMMM :eusa_whistle:

I noted your red earlier and went back and red the original motion which included THAT DATE. mmm-hmmm.

Tink - the point on that, is if JW is going to handle it, why file the motion they had to postpone due to that, then schedule the date for that date cited in the motion. yep. whatevah.

I figured it was something like, get your witnesses and we'll see what your progress is in a month before she rules. Dang, if you can't get some witnesses in 30-60 days, how you going to get some by January? Waiting for the niece/nephew to grow old enough to testify on her behalf?

Maybe they are trying to get, ahem, "expert" witnesses to commit to a time?

They already did that. No fair doing "experts" in the death penalty phase!

There was a feed? I thought there wasn't going to be a feed. Oh well, got work done.

Live Video | ABC15.com | Phoenix, Arizona | KNXV-TV | Local and Breaking News, Weather, Radar, Traffic, Life, Sports

"PHOENIX - A judge on Thursday announced she will not rule on a motion to postpone the Jodi Arias sentencing phase to January 2014.
Arias arrived in the courtroom wearing jailhouse stripes and went into the judge's chambers shortly after 8:30 a.m. with attorneys and the aunt of victim Travis Alexander.
Judge Stephens heard motions from both sides in the judge's chambers and was expected to issue a ruling.
Prosecutor Juan Martinez asked Judge Stephens earlier this month to reject the defense team's request to delay until next year, saying none of the reasons offered in their motion warrants a postponement.

Arias' attorneys asked for a postponement to allow their client time to gather witnesses to testify on her behalf.
They also have said they have scheduling conflicts with the current July 18 date set for retrial.
Arias was convicted of first-degree murder May 8 in the June 2008 death of her former boyfriend, Alexander.
About two weeks later, the same panel failed to reach a unanimous decision on whether to her punishment."

Notice what I highlighted in RED. The hearing for the motion is re-set for July 18, same day the 2nd round of the penalty phase was to begin. So if they have schedule conflicts with that date for the retrial, why are they ok with a ruling on the motion that day? HMMMMMMM :eusa_whistle:

I'm guessing there will be another motion or delay but why not just say something today? Maybe Wilmott will just handle the motion while Nurmi is out of town. She can handle the motion alone its not the same as picking a new jury where they both need to be there.

OT: I'm having a 100 comment smack down on my FB wall about Miley Cyrus' new trash/bi/WTF video.

Laughing out loud.
I'm going to need more info because I have no idea what you are talking about

There was a feed? I thought there wasn't going to be a feed. Oh well, got work done.

I noted your red earlier and went back and red the original motion which included THAT DATE. mmm-hmmm.

Tink - the point on that, is if JW is going to handle it, why file the motion they had to postpone due to that, then schedule the date for that date cited in the motion. yep. whatevah.

I figured it was something like, get your witnesses and we'll see what your progress is in a month before she rules. Dang, if you can't get some witnesses in 30-60 days, how you going to get some by January? Waiting for the niece/nephew to grow old enough to testify on her behalf?

Because this is now a motion hearing, originally it was the date to start new trial. At this point she has delayed ruling on the motion so its a motion hearing. Thats the difference in why Wilmott could maybe handle this.

I'm guessing there will be another motion or delay but why not just say something today? Maybe Wilmott will just handle the motion while Nurmi is out of town. She can handle the motion alone its not the same as picking a new jury where they both need to be there.

OT: I'm having a 100 comment smack down on my FB wall about Miley Cyrus' new trash/bi/WTF video.

Laughing out loud.

Hannah Montana was the girl idol a few years ago, since grown out of her and we still have faith in Selena Gomez. So anyhow, Miley Cyrus has been floundering around since she stopped being Hannah, was going to marry the Hunger Games guy, got her hair butched off, he cheated on her and now she's bi or something. Below is her new video and song! Get ready to go WTF did I just watch? and hit the puke emoticon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Because this is now a motion hearing, originally it was the date to start new trial. At this point she has delayed ruling on the motion so its a motion hearing. Thats the difference in why Wilmott could maybe handle this.

We'll see or we'll see if he shows up and was just making stuff up for the motion.

Laughing out loud.

Hannah Montana was the girl idol a few years ago, since grown out of her and we still have faith in Selena Gomez. So anyhow, Miley Cyrus has been floundering around since she stopped being Hannah, was going to marry the Hunger Games guy, got her hair butched off, he cheated on her and now she's bi or something. Below is her new video and song! Get ready to go WTF did I just watch? and hit the puke emoticon.

I knew all that stuff about Miley just not about the video. I don't think she's floundering around she's just young and doing what young people do trying to find herself. The difference is she's in the public spot light. I like her hair it works with her face. That video is pretty bizarre and I don't really care for the song but the lyrics make sense with what's going on in her life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for posting all the info on today. Gotta get back to work in a minute but wanted to say thanks.

But I wish they would hurry the hell up and just keep her locked up for life already! Ugh sorry lol

[MENTION=43882]Tink[/MENTION] - I don't want to get into it or anything, but my point with it is, I always have little girls running around my house and Disney markets these "star" to pre tweens like crazy, she was the hottest thing ever for 7 year olds. Then she did a pole dance at the teen awards, I shut that off and that was it for her at my house. I feel like they have some responsibility to their million fan base girls that made them what they are and this is a disgusting example for them. Zero responsibility. She's just another Brittney.

[MENTION=43882]Tink[/MENTION] - I don't want to get into it or anything, but my point with it is, I always have little girls running around my house and Disney markets these "star" to pre tweens like crazy, she was the hottest thing ever for 7 year olds. Then she did a pole dance at the teen awards, I shut that off and that was it for her at my house. I feel like they have some responsibility to their million fan base girls that made them what they are and this is a disgusting example for them. Zero responsibility. She's just another Brittney.

I get what you are saying but at a certain point they get older and things change for them. I think at that point then the kids networks shouldn't have their new acts on there. I would think the fan base grows with them who knows. I think I also read her parents are going through divorce.

Feds: Prison for Ohio woman who buried mom in yard
June 20, 2013
Associated Press
Save |
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say an Ohio woman who buried her mother in her yard and cashed the dead woman's Social Security checks for 14 years has been sentenced to 30 days in prison.

Federal authorities say 66-year-old Marietta resident Patricia Hodges also was sentenced Wednesday in Columbus to six months of home confinement and ordered to repay more than $141,000. Hodges had pleaded guilty to theft of government money for cashing Janet Kelly's checks.

Social Security officials say Hodges told them in 2011 her mother was on a cruise. Authorities found Kelly had died in 1997 and Hodges buried her in the backyard of the Lake Worth, Fla., home where they had lived.

Prosecutors say Hodges admitted concealing her mother's death to collect benefits.

Hodges' attorney hasn't returned a call seeking comment.

I think it's just one of those inevitable things. Disney sets up an unrealistic package of perfect little kids for consumption. Eventually, if they remain in the spotlight, they are going to experiment to discover who they actually are rather than a staying a brand Stepford kid. Maybe at a certain age, Disney shouldn't have them on, or maybe people want to shut off Disney. There's so much out there now for kids, it's difficult to avoid sex and violence in the media. I'm glad I'm not a little kid in these days.

June 20, 2013
Associated Press
Save |
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say an Ohio woman who buried her mother in her yard and cashed the dead woman's Social Security checks for 14 years has been sentenced to 30 days in prison.

Federal authorities say 66-year-old Marietta resident Patricia Hodges also was sentenced Wednesday in Columbus to six months of home confinement and ordered to repay more than $141,000. Hodges had pleaded guilty to theft of government money for cashing Janet Kelly's checks.

Social Security officials say Hodges told them in 2011 her mother was on a cruise. Authorities found Kelly had died in 1997 and Hodges buried her in the backyard of the Lake Worth, Fla., home where they had lived.

Prosecutors say Hodges admitted concealing her mother's death to collect benefits.

Did she kill her mother, or did the mother die of natural causes? I'm not saying this is right, and it's sick, but if she was a corporation, she'd simply pay a fine and go on with life as usual. (except for the burying in the yard, but that doesn't seem like the most serious charge for the sentence).

I'm getting a headache all of a sudden. I hate headaches. See you guys later.

June 20, 2013
Associated Press
Save |

Did she kill her mother, or did the mother die of natural causes? I'm not saying this is right, and it's sick, but if she was a corporation, she'd simply pay a fine and go on with life as usual. (except for the burying in the yard, but that doesn't seem like the most serious charge for the sentence).
I don't know it sounds like just natural causes. 30 days seems a little light for stealing that much money from the government/fraud. But I also think its in their best interest to have her out and paying them back. Putting her away would cost a lot especially since she's older and she wouldn't be paying them back.

I wonder why now is different than during the penalty phase. I mean she was convicted already then too how come she didn't need the guards and shackles then?

I wonder why now is different than during the penalty phase. I mean she was convicted already then too how come she didn't need the guards and shackles then?

I think when and if the penalty phase happens again, they will be off. It has something to do with being prejudicial in front of a jury, perhaps?

Forum List

Back